Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Baphomet, GREY 1769

imagump1313
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD 

Post#41 » by imagump1313 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:30 pm

EvanZ wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Would Spurs have any interest in trading Murray+11 to GS for #2?

YES PLEASE! That would be a steal for us IMO.
Not sure why you guys would want a PG with no basketball IQ who cant shoot or pass though. And you're defense isn't that bad.

Are you really that down on Murray? He actually did start shooting legitimately this season. 2:1 A:TO ratio as well.

Unfortunately yes. IMO he seems in over his head and the clock is running. He has been given every opportunity to be the guy and still plays like a timid out of place G-leaguer. Not to mention his constant social media posts about how he is taking over the franchise while doing absolutely nothing about it on the court.

I'm one of the small percentage of fans who thinks we need to trade him before he plays his way out of any chance to get something useful for him.

He seems like a good guy overall but we have better guards. He is expendable IMO.
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 16,322

Post#42 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:28 pm

A couple of points:

First, DJ's new $64M/4 contract starts next season ($14.285M in the first year) so is GS absorbing it or, more likely, what's coming back?

Second, I trust Spurs scouting and development implicitly, so even though I don't think there's a huge drop off from the top two spots and those after them, if there's someone they have their eyes on at #2, so be it.

Lastly, while I'm not as down on DJ as gump is, I do see more of his points as the seasons have come and gone. The social media posts may be more youthful bravado and stepping into the intention or whatever, but yeah there's a dichotomy between the declarations and results. Maybe it's just the times we live in, but Derrick and Keldon don't do it so maybe it's a personality thing. DJ's stats across the board have improved, and as you've mentioned the assist:TO ratio is favourable, too. DJ mentioned that he and the young guys have yet to be unleashed, so there's more to come. Ok great. But while his D is terrific and his shot is more diverse and efficient, his game management / facilitating stand out as behind his other improvements. I hope he proves me wrong, but with that new contract kicking in, there will greater scrutiny whether fair or not.

I thought our new D-out, transition style in bubble games would help DJ shine but he was noticeably conservative, not driving nearly assertively enough, settling for outside shots time and again even as his P&R was better and overall D was there.

He'd likely thrive in GS run and gun style as he's good at finding the open man in transition. I think he's a score-first combo guard in a PG body and position. Derrick is the better overall facilitator but you can't have him. It's clear we do far better when we have a ball-moving PG at the helm.

Anyway, he's the only player we've so far committed to beyond 2021 (I'm sure we'll follow it with Derrick this off-season) so it would have to be a sure thing for us and the contract coming back would either have to fit our 2021 cap-saving goals or a player we want long-term or flipping said player to a third team. All of which is to say the Spurs are still high on DJ and but for a surefire player, I think he stays. Then again, bubble play was also a close scrutiny in terms of who we want to go forward with per Pop. While I don't think eight games makes or breaks a player's position with us necessarily, there were some eyebrow raising performances, both lacklustre and great. It was a huge opportunity to shine for DJ and he didn't take advantage. We'll see who we go forward with.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
EvanZ
General Manager
And1: 1,483

Post#43 » by EvanZ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:06 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:

A couple of points:

First, DJ's new $64M/4 contract starts next season ($14.285M in the first year) so is GS absorbing it or, more likely, what's coming back?

I think TPE can be used for this.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 776

Post#44 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:09 am

The NBA draft forum has San Antonio on the clock in our mock draft. I'm sure we'd all appreciate some Spurs fans participating. It will probably be up for 48-72 hours.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#45 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 5:18 pm

Some info about the combine and draft:

The 2020NBA draft will take place on November 18, 2020.

The combine is underway having started September28 and continuing to around mid-November.

Combine format:
this new combine window was designed to offer scheduling flexibility for draft-eligible prospects, facilitate added contact between players and teams, and most importantly, safely conduct medical examinations and physical testing. The process is scheduled to begin next week with a round of NBA-conducted video interviews, with each player answering the same set of 10 questions, with that footage then becoming available to all 30 teams. A second round of direct, 30-minute interview sessions between players and teams begins October 1st accounting for specific team requests, with a maximum of 20 players per team and 13 teams per player.... Teams were able to schedule interviews with players on their own in the spring, but many of the draft’s top prospects opted to limit their availability to specific teams, or not do interviews at all. So the virtual combine process theoretically helps level the playing field in that respect.

The limited in-person piece of the combine will take place over the course of October, with participating prospects asked to travel by car to their nearest geographical NBA market for in-person medical testing, measurements, strength and agility testing, and shooting drills. With prospects already scattered around the country training for the draft, this helps limit the risk of frequent travel during a pandemic, and enables prospects to take part in the all standard parts of the combine, except for five-on-five. Players are also invited to participate in standardized shooting drills per usual, although this is a piece of the combine top prospects tend to opt out of under normal circumstances.

According to a memo sent to agents by the NBPA, teams are presently permitted to watch video of draft-eligible players working out, on the condition that these are solo workouts and only one coach and one player are allowed on the court. It’s important to note that that film can either be live-streamed or pre-recorded. This is an obvious opportunity for prospects and their agents to carefully curate what they’re sending to teams, or to at least let players showcase their skills in a more comfortable environment. Within the framework of the combine, players are allowed (but not required) to record a 45-minute “Pro Day” video as part of their use of team facilities, following those same stipulations.

Given that there’s some built-in risk if a player works out or shoots poorly in the combine environment, the player-friendly option here is to self-produce workout film instead, and then distribute it to teams strategically. This allows agents to control who sees what, and in some cases try to steer players to preferred destinations where there’s mutual interest. I would expect prospects to use this opportunity to creatively market themselves to teams.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/09/22/2020-nba-draft-combine-what-you-need-to-know

As of now, person-to-person contact for interviews, medicals, and workouts is not allowed (!) but the league is looking into ways teams can observe and do their own assessments with their own people.

Seems like from the last quoted paragraph there's a lot more room for agents guiding their players to the teams they want, and for skewed presentations of those players. I hope we do get some one-on-one with guys we really like. But as always, the teams that have started the process early are best prepared. I think we started early.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#46 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 5:19 pm

Here's a list of participating players:
Read on Twitter

Other notable absentees include: Vassell, Patrick Williams, Pokusevski, and Bolmaro who is overseas and won't be playing in the NBA for a couple of seasons.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#47 » by GREY 1769 » Yesterday 5:39 pm

Some players the Spurs have zoomed with as of 29-9-2020:

Killian Hayes

Jalen Smith