2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020, 7PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020 

Post#61 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 5, 2020 6:23 pm

Some Spurs draft news and whispers:

Read on Twitter

Jeremy Woo reports that Patrick Williams' stock is on the rise and may jump into the top ten. This is without his even participating in the combine. Damn it.

There's word we've scouted Wiseman, and of course it's expected (even if sources are not verified), but I haven't heard anything about our meeting with him or working him out.

We have to keep in mind that a lot of smokescreens are being used by teams, and we have drafted players we didn't work out, most recently Keldon. However, given that teams are allowed to work out only ten players per current evaluating conditions during Covid, that we worked out two projected out of our range - Deni and OO - may indicate a willingness to move up.

So here's the updated list of some players the Spurs have evaluated, zoomed with and / or worked out as of 5-11-2020 from credible sources:

Trevelin Queen

Isaiah Stewart

Daniel Oturu

Killian Hayes

Jalen Smith

Precious Achiuwa

Omer Yurtseven

Deni Avdija

Onyeka Okongwu
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#62 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 5, 2020 8:21 pm

Another update:
Read on Twitter

Thrilled that we met with Patrick Williams.

'Met with' is rather nebulous. We know we worked out Deni, and he's listed here among the 'met with' group. Can we assume we worked out all the others on the list? I may be over-parsing, but it would help to know to what extent we engaged with each prospect on top of the extensive due diligence we do.

EDIT to add: So we have worked out Patrick... Love it!
Read on Twitter

(from https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/11/5/21551087/report-the-spurs-have-conducted-an-in-person-workout-with-patrick-williams)

Who is Terry Armstrong?
Read on Twitter

SG, listed as 6'6", 6'9" wingspan, 185lbs, 20 years old

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

More info about him:
Terry Armstrong is an electric, high-flying shooting guard who chose a different path than most. He finished his high school career for Bella Vista (AZ) Prep, averaging 22 points per game against strong competition. After being heavily recruited, Armstrong committed to the University of Arizona where he would have joined three potential first round picks, Nico Mannion, Zeke Nnaji, and Josh Green. However, he ultimately signed with the South East Melbourne Phoenix of the National Basketball League in Australia.

His first year playing professionally did not turn out the way many would have thought as he struggled to find time on the court, mostly coming off the bench at the end of games in garbage time. Although his stats are limited, he remains a young talent, with a high ceiling, and he has spent the past year gaining first-hand experience of what it takes to play professionally.

https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/terry-armstrong#/

Some details about Armstrong's challenges and potential at the pro level:
https://pickandroll.com.au/p/the-curious-case-of-terry-armstrong-and-what-his-season-could-mean-for-future-nbl-next-stars

There are few highlights, but here are some in live action:

Recent workout video:

A couple of interviews. Comes across as a little shy, but personable:

So it looks as if we're looking at prospects across the spectrum 1 through 5.

Interesting that we've looked at Queen and Armstrong given our SG glut. I wonder about the fates of both Beli and Bryn. I think we re-sign the latter, but it is curious that we continue to look at SGs. Looks like-long term floor raising planning in finding that diamond in the rough we can polish into a solid two-way player. I like the reach we're showing in terms of due diligence.

Updated list of some players the Spurs have evaluated, zoomed with and / or worked out as of 5-11-2020 from credible sources:

Trevelin Queen

Isaiah Stewart

Daniel Oturu

Killian Hayes

Jalen Smith

Precious Achiuwa

Omer Yurtseven

Deni Avdija

Onyeka Okongwu

Patrick Williams

Terry Armstrong
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#63 » by G R E Y » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:37 am

Meh. You could say this about a long list of players in this draft whose games need growth. I know he'd be one of our best defenders just as he is, but at #11 I wouldn't be enamoured with him (worse if we traded up for him). Feels like too much overlap with who we have already in size especially, position, and skill.

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#64 » by G R E Y » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:37 am

Rumour :o

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#65 » by imagump1313 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 10:48 pm

The only salary we could take on from them that would fit would be Wiggins.
I actually wouldn't mind Wiggins the player, but there is absolutely no way we take on that contract.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by imagump1313 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 11:21 pm

Hmmm. The more I think about it, maybe its not a terrible idea.

Wiggins is only 25 with 3 years left on his deal. He is young enough to fit and possibly grow with our current nucleus and whomever we target at #2.(He fits if DeRozan isnt here I should say)
We aren't winning anything next year and we have to pay somebody. I'm sure the coaching staff knows more about him than we do so if they think they get get some of his potential to surface it might be worth a shot. Sure Wiggins isn't the best guy but he still has potential at 25. We already know we arent winning anything with Aldridge in the future so why not?

I guess it depends on who we are targeting at #2.
Since we would take on Wiggins, Advija would be redundant.
Wiseman or my guy Toppin maybe? (although the 2nd pick is too high to trade up for Toppin)
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#67 » by Phreak50 » Sat Nov 7, 2020 10:16 am

It'll never happen but I'd swap picks and LMA for Wiggins.

Warriors would be a laughing stock though for giving away their pick and taking on Aldridge who simply wouldn't fit their play style.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by imagump1313 » Sat Nov 7, 2020 1:37 pm

Phreak50 wrote:It'll never happen but I'd swap picks and LMA for Wiggins.

Warriors would be a laughing stock though for giving away their pick and taking on Aldridge who simply wouldn't fit their play style.

I totally agree!
But GS needs to get off of Wiggins contract if they think they can make a run at Giannis so Aldridge's expiring contract(weather he fits them or not) might be enough if they believe there are no other options.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#69 » by G R E Y » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Hmm...
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Like all drafts, I'm sure there are multiple scenarios in order of preference we have in place. We've been blessed with a couple of players falling to us as well so fingers crossed it happens again without us having to trade up.

I love that we love Patrick Williams, but his stock is rising possibly to above us now. I really hope we get him.

Saddiq Bey at #11? My impression is he's interviewed well overall, and he has a solid tool kit. But would he be the player with the highest upside? Feels like his ceiling is slightly lower / he's not that far from having reached it already. I think his connection to Jay Wright who is connected to Pop via Team USA may be something. Or because of it we don't pick him. I'd be surprised if we selected him here outright without a trade down.

Surprised there is some 'smoke' coming from us. I think it indicates that with this draft more than others, and with a couple of potential trade options more possible this off-season, there are more moveable pieces on the table because of so many solid draft picks without a standout star, and with us having more quality players who are in a prime position to be traded.

Might just be extra smokescreen to get the guy we really want.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#70 » by G R E Y » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Well well well... It looks like we're - up to something :o
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#71 » by G R E Y » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#72 » by G R E Y » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

Vanderbilt guard Aaron Nesmith, meanwhile, listed the Spurs as one of five teams to conduct a workout with him.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Auburn-s-Isaac-Okoro-among-draft-prospects-15719638.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)

Updated list of some players the Spurs have evaluated, zoomed with and / or met with and worked out as of 11-11-2020 from credible sources:

Trevelin Queen

Isaiah Stewart

Daniel Oturu

Killian Hayes

Jalen Smith

Precious Achiuwa

Omer Yurtseven

Deni Avdija

Onyeka Okongwu

Patrick Williams

Terry Armstrong

Aaron Nesmith

Isaac Okoro

Tyrese Haliburton
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#73 » by G R E Y » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:31 pm

Man if we get a chance at that #2 pick... :o
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

That's fine. I'd much rather we pick Wiseman anyway.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#74 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:26 pm

That's quite a range for him - lottery to end of first round, but all of these teams are solid. If teams have to have their requests for workouts accepted, interesting choices. He's not as developed compared to others in this PG-rich draft, but could be a diamond in the rough.
Read on Twitter

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So updated list of some players the Spurs have evaluated, zoomed with and / or met with and worked out as of 12-11-2020 from credible sources:

Trevelin Queen

Isaiah Stewart

Daniel Oturu

Killian Hayes

Jalen Smith

Precious Achiuwa

Omer Yurtseven

Deni Avdija

Onyeka Okongwu

Patrick Williams

Terry Armstrong

Aaron Nesmith

Isaac Okoro

Tyrese Haliburton

Theo Maledon

Tyrese Maxey

So out of the 16 reported players, we've interviewed / worked out six guards (four PGs). This for a guard-heavy team. Interesting...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#75 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 pm

On the one hand...
Read on Twitter

On the other...
Read on Twitter

Please let these bread crumbs lead to us getting the #2 pick. PLEASE! :pray:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#76 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Man. If we're shopping Patty I'm going to be hugely disappointed. My favourite Spur, the team's spirit leader, the one we were supposedly grooming for a potential coaching role in the bubble. And for Josh Richardson, like we don't have enough 6'5" SGs?! WTF is going on??!

Read on Twitter

We love Bey?! Like there aren't players with a higher ceiling?

We supposedly want McDaniels who's an idiot?

Maxey when Hayes could potentially drop to us if we keep #11?

Shocking. Don't like this batch of whispers AT ALL.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#77 » by SD2042 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:25 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Man. If we're shopping Patty I'm going to be hugely disappointed. My favourite Spur, the team's spirit leader, the one we were supposedly grooming for a potential coaching role in the bubble. And for Josh Richardson, like we don't have enough 6'5" SGs?! WTF is going on??!

Read on Twitter

This is why I try not to get too wrapped up in draft rumors. All of it is designed to get ppl all caught up in the whirlwind hype. Sometimes it gets hard to distinguish the difference between what's real and what's bullsht. Only the teams know what their intentions is wit hthe draft comigng up in a few days. All the fans and the experts can do is speculate about what could, should, and need to happen when we don't even have control in the first place.

Personally, I would just have fun with it and try not to let it drive me nuts to no end.

As for who I think the Spurs could take a look at:

Patrick Williams- puts me in the mindset of Jonathan Issac. Potential to be a two way player. Has a lot of potential to grow his foundation.

Jalen Smith- very athletic. Another two way player who has potential to be effective at the four and five position on both ends. With the way the new Spurs are shaping up and the landscape of the NBA, I can see Smith be part of the new Spurs foundation.

Saddiq Bey: He puts me in the mindset of a mid-level Shawn Marion with Marion being the better athlete. Capable of slashing to the post. More of a catch and shoot type of perimeter player(could be better). Coming from Villanova, you know the defense with Bey will be good. Villanova is a school known to teach the players to be two-way players. Of course not all players are created equal. Bey like the others I listed in the organization like the Spurs have the potential to grow their games to fruition as long as they do it with effort.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#78 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:28 pm

SD2042 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Man. If we're shopping Patty I'm going to be hugely disappointed. My favourite Spur, the team's spirit leader, the one we were supposedly grooming for a potential coaching role in the bubble. And for Josh Richardson, like we don't have enough 6'5" SGs?! WTF is going on??!

Read on Twitter

This is why I try not to get too wrapped up in draft rumors. All of it is designed to get ppl all caught up in the whirlwind hype. Sometimes it gets hard to distinguish the difference between what's real and what's bullsht. Only the teams know what their intentions is wit hthe draft comigng up in a few days. All the fans and the experts can do is speculate about what could, should, and need to happen when we don't even have control in the first place.

Personally, I would just have fun with it and try not to let it drive me nuts to no end.

As for who I think the Spurs could take a look at:

Patrick Williams- puts me in the mindset of Jonathan Issac. Potential to be a two way player. Has a lot of potential to grow his foundation.

Jalen Smith- very athletic. Another two way player who has potential to be effective at the four and five position on both ends. With the way the new Spurs are shaping up and the landscape of the NBA, I can see Smith be part of the new Spurs foundation.

Saddiq Bey: He puts me in the mindset of a mid-level Shawn Marion with Marion being the better athlete. Capable of slashing to the post. More of a catch and shoot type of perimeter player(could be better). Coming from Villanova, you know the defense with Bey will be good. Villanova is a school known to teach the players to be two-way players. Of course not all players are created equal. Bey like the others I listed in the organization like the Spurs have the potential to grow their games to fruition as long as they do it with effort.

Haha yeah you're right, thanks. My heated reaction was a combination of the bad batch of rumours mixed with not being used to us mentioned in so many.

I like Jalen's demeanour in interviews and I like his two-way potential, too. Saddiq is a very solid pick, just not sure from what I've seen that we couldn't end up with a higher ceiling prospect. That said, I trust our scouting and development implicitly. Both have the hustle and attitude that fit our culture.

I like your list and find it interesting that Vassell and Hayes seem to be slipping a bit. If we stay at #11, I hope we luck out on Hayes should Williams go before our selection. If we draft Vassell at #11 for GSW, I'd be thrilled.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#79 » by G R E Y » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Updated list of some players the Spurs have evaluated, zoomed with and / or met with and worked out as of 16-11-2020 from credible sources:

Trevelin Queen

Isaiah Stewart

Daniel Oturu

Killian Hayes

Jalen Smith

Precious Achiuwa

Omer Yurtseven

Deni Avdija

Onyeka Okongwu

Patrick Williams

Terry Armstrong

Aaron Nesmith