2020 SPURS FREE AGENCY THREAD

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, GREY 1769, Baphomet

GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 16,519

Re: 2020 SPURS FREE AGENCY THREAD 

Post#21 » by GREY 1769 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:17 pm

So because there has not been a word from local media about DeMar or any other PO, RFA, UFA status players and decisions, I looked around the board to other teams' forums whose players have POs, and on the Celtics forum a poster said the PO date has also been pushed back, date TBD. So I guess we wait...
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#22 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:00 pm

A recent Bleacher Report offers FA suggestions for each team, and for us they list Jakob (yes), Serge Ibaka (hard no for me there), and Harry Giles III (interesting).

Harry Giles III is the more likely add-on option. San Antonio, as a team that doesn't project as a contender, should be able to afford him and Poeltl without entering the tax. (Ibaka may also command more than the MLE.) Giles' passing from the top of the key should fit nicely within the Spurs' half-court offense, and he introduced some more long twos into his game last season, a stretch element that could let him work in concert with Aldridge.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2914124-every-nba-teams-2020-free-agency-big-board

He averaged 7/4 in just over 14 minutes per game. He's listed as a PF but we need to shore our front court with Rudy and LMA expiring after this upcoming season. He doesn't shoot the 3. At all. Perhaps not yet, perhaps not at all. A bit of a concern, that. But depending what it'll cost, and depending which players surround him on a given line-up, he may be a an option for us.

The ESPN+ article projects Giles at around $4-$6M (per@saspurstalk21).
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#23 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Some financial projections for a couple of players we could pursue - Wood and Baynes - in addition to retaining Jakob:
Read on Twitter

I can't recall where I read it, but there's word that the issue with Wood has been his attitude. Does his improved play indicate a shift in attitude? Maybe. Trey didn't have the best reputation coming to us and it shadowed him early in his career, too. He admitted to mistakes, said he's matured, and proved it with his improved play and being a solid teammate. But it's something to keep in mind about Wood. I'm sure we'll do our due diligence, especially after last off-season's series of fiascos.

Baynes looks like a very reasonable signing.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs

Post#24 » by GREY 1769 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:04 pm

I've mentioned Jae Crowder (ESPN+ also projects him around $8-$10M per @saspurstalk21) before and still think he would be an option at the 3. He could be what we hoped asshat Morris and hoodwinker Carroll would be. After his showing in the post-season, there are likely several teams that will be after his services.

Also, how about this as an option at C:
Read on Twitter

Aussie connection with Patty, he said he wants to explore his NBA options:
Read on Twitter

He's a 6'11" 25-year-old C, averaging 11/4.4 in 20 minutes per game this season. He also drastically improved his FT% this season from Jakob levels to 82.1% on more attempts :o. So it IS possible, Jakob!

Good efficiency, and can hit the occasional 3, too.

He has some solid post-up moves, can finish through contact, seals his man well, nice touch around the rim, can P&R, pick & pop, has a nice J (a slightly slow release, and it could just be the angles of the video, but his body looks a little bent when releasing. It works for him, though I wonder if we could tweak it), and gets after rebounds. He does look a bit slow running down the court and his footwork is a bit plodding, not very crisp, but he still manages to finish around the rim. Also, these highlights are solely on the O end, so there's that caveat. He'd be a better option than Zeller, surely. He has a nice all around game, and I like his energy, too. You need guys who provide that extra gear and raise team spirits when it's needed.
ImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Veteran
And1: 1,389

Post#25 » by imagump1313 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:14 am

Seeing Wood up close with my own two eyes and blocking out what all the armchair experts say about him, I like his game.
Granted, he was gifted an opportunity with Detroit trading Drummond and Griffin being hurt but he made the most of it. He is only 25(I thought he was older).
He's a good scorer, decent rebounder and can block some shots from what I saw. If we can get him at a decent price I would be all for it.

Ibaka? GTFOH! NO NO NO NO NO!

Poetl? Pretty much have to sign him but please don't overpay. If we can get him to come out of his shell and play aggressively he is ok.

Baynes? For 6-8 million he is more than worth it but by the time we are good again he won't be.

Giles? The guy plays well sometimes but totally disappears for long stretches also. He's another one with some talent if you can get him to be aggressive.

Crowder? Im ok with him on a one year deal as filler. 2022 bye,bye

This Jock guy? I've honestly only seen him on the video you posted. If he is cheap and we have a roster spot, give him a go.

Return to San Antonio Spurs