Best Spurs team ever*

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, GREY 1769, Baphomet

Nbabrothers
Junior
Posts: 304
And1: 48
Joined: Sep 17, 2019
 

Best Spurs team ever* 

Post#1 » by Nbabrothers » Sun May 17, 2020 5:12 pm

I put an asterisk on this because the team I chose is from the 80s and was knocked out of the playoffs by the champion Lakers.

Pg Johnny Moore
Sg George Gervin
C Artis Gilmore
Pf Gene Banks
Sf Mike Mitchell

Place that team in the 2000s and they would have made it to the finals at least once.
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Best Spurs team ever* 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Nbabrothers wrote:I put an asterisk on this because the team I chose is from the 80s and was knocked out of the playoffs by the champion Lakers.

Pg Johnny Moore
Sg George Gervin
C Artis Gilmore
Pf Gene Banks
Sf Mike Mitchell

Place that team in the 2000s and they would have made it to the finals at least once.


Are you talking about 1982-83? I loved that team.

But I am partial to the 78/79 Spurs team that lost to Washington 4-3 in the ECF(yes, we were actually in the East back then) after being up 3-1.. I was a little kid back then and cried when I found out we lost game 7.

That team didn't have Gilmore yet but we had:
Gervin
Silas
Dampier
Paultz
Larry Kenon
and Allen Bristow
Nbabrothers
Junior
Posts: 304
And1: 48
Joined: Sep 17, 2019
 

Re: Best Spurs team ever* 

Post#3 » by Nbabrothers » Sun May 17, 2020 10:48 pm

Yes I remember when they were in the east. Johnny Moore averaged like 10 assists per game matching Magic Johnson. That was a really good team. I wasn’t familiar with the 78/79 team as I had just started watching replay games beginning in the 80s
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Best Spurs team ever* 

Post#4 » by imagump1313 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Nbabrothers wrote:Yes I remember when they were in the east. Johnny Moore averaged like 10 assists per game matching Magic Johnson. That was a really good team. I wasn’t familiar with the 78/79 team as I had just started watching replay games beginning in the 80s


Yes. It was such a different time. I only remember watching what highlights i could find of the 78/79 team. I loved them because I always loved Gervin but I dont think I ever saw a live game back then.
User avatar
imagump1313
Veteran
Posts: 2,543
And1: 1,378
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Best Spurs team ever* 

Post#5 » by imagump1313 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:03 pm

I found some highlights of Johnny Moore in that series. I do remember watching this:

Nbabrothers
Junior
Posts: 304
And1: 48
Joined: Sep 17, 2019
 

Re: Best Spurs team ever* 

Post#6 » by Nbabrothers » Mon May 18, 2020 12:56 am

imagump1313 wrote:I found some highlights of Johnny Moore in that series. I do remember watching this:



That was dope!

Return to San Antonio Spurs