Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,655

2021 SPURS TRADE DEADLINE THREAD 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Mon Mar 8, 2021 7:53 pm

Yes, it's the annual rumours that hadn't come to be thread! :D

Perhaps this is the year we actually make a mid-season trade.

The trade deadline is MARCH 25.

First up is the article linked in RealGM Wiretap from The Ringer which discusses our apparent interest in SF/PF Alize Johnson:
With a potentially dry trade and buyout market, teams are also keeping a close eye on the G League bubble for players to target. One name that’s been mentioned to me in several conversations is Alize Johnson....

Johnson is a 6-foot-7 wing who was drafted 50th in 2018 by the Pacers and has played in only 31 NBA games. He’s a full-throttle rebounder and defender with the versatility to defend both quicker and stronger players, meaning he could play on the wing alongside a true big or in the frontcourt in switch-heavy lineups. On offense, the 24-year-old is averaging 16.6 points and 4.2 assists while posting career highs in scoring efficiency and assist-turnover ratio.

A league source says in addition to the Raptors, the Magic, Rockets, Spurs, and Suns have also expressed interest in signing Johnson.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2021 SPURS TRADE DEADLINE THREAD 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Mon Mar 8, 2021 8:45 pm

Well this is interesting.

REPORT: Spurs showing 'significant' interest in Magic's Vucevic
As the NBA trade deadline fast approaches, the San Antonio Spurs rumor mill rages on.

According to a report from The Ringer, the Spurs are among a few teams expressing "significant" interest in Magic All-Star center Nikola Vucevic.

The Heat, Spurs, Celtics, and Hornets have all expressed significant interest in acquiring All-Star center Nikola Vucevic, league sources say. Vucevic, 30, is averaging 24.6 points and 3.7 assists while hitting 41.2 percent of his 3s and grabbing 11.6 rebounds per game.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-spurs-showing-significant-interest-in-magics-vucevic

Later in the article it references a report from late February citing Marc Spears that Spurs were reportedly shopping LMA and DeMar, but more recently it has turned into us simply fielding calls for our impending FAs (LMA, DeMar, Rudy, Patty, Trey). That's more due diligence.

I think given how crucial DeMar continues to be to our O functioning well that we do not move him unless there's a godfather-type of offer. Our goal is the playoffs, and contenders don't have the return we'd want for him. Maybe a three team trade could work for better assets, but as of now, I think DeMar and Patty stay and the more likely candidates to move are LMA, maybe Rudy (though it would be hard to see him go), and to a lesser extent Trey (also tricky as he's shown some potential).

I proposed a LMA for Vucevic last season (or was it in the off-season?) swap but now we surely would have to give up more with LMA looking like a lesser player than his yesteryear self. Not sure of the package, but I'd be loathe to part with a young prospect and/or our 2021 pick. This is where a third team could be enticing (and I wonder if we could get Bamba?) Vucevic's D isn't great, but surely better than LMA's at this point, and we'd be strong at all positions. Interesting interest.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Mon Mar 8, 2021 8:59 pm

Given the whispers of our interest in Johnson and Vucevic it's clear we want to shore up our bigs position. Either or both would be very solid to great upgrades. But of course it depends on who goes the other way.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
kasrok
Freshman
And1: 102

Post#4 » by kasrok » Mon Mar 8, 2021 9:17 pm

Went to ESPN trade machine, any one of the combinations work for Vucevic

LMA + D. White / L. Walker / L. Samanic / K. Johnson.

I would make Keldon the priority but I think those offers might be entertained
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Tue Mar 9, 2021 1:43 am

kasrok wrote:Went to ESPN trade machine, any one of the combinations work for Vucevic

I think Derrick and Keldon aren't going anywhere. DJ, Derrick, and KJ are as close to untouchable for us as can be.
They're part of our core. Trading Luka just when he's showing promise while the Magic have players at that position also makes less sense. He's a long-term project who we wait for while the ready-now PF we hypothetically acquire slides into the win-now starting slot.

That leaves LMA + Lonnie which has been suggested by several fans on social media.

If only that were enough. I just found this:

Read on Twitter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Our starting back court that we've developed and nurtured for years and whose talent we're just NOW at the beginnings of reaping rewards? I get negotiations and starting with a high price, but Jesus that's just delusional. And they already have two young promising PG's so I'm skeptical of this - but this is the time of the year when such wild proposals pop up.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 1:48 am

kasrok wrote:Went to ESPN trade machine, any one of the combinations work for Vucevic

I don't think we would be where we are this season without Keldon so I would say LMA + Anyone but Keldon.

I know your trades work and I would love for the Magic to do that, but if I'm the Magic I think that is giving away Vucevic which I don't think they want. Its not a fair trade for them IMO. If I'm the Magic, I would want at least 2 young players plus LMA or LMA + one young player and a draft pick(first round)

I would be good with LMA + (White or Walker) + 2021 1st round pick. That might be enough to get him.

Obviously if we are going for Vucevic that means we think we are going for it in the next 2-3 years so our 2021 pick wouldn't be that important to us.(Not saying this is what the Spurs are thinking but I would assume they aren't trading for a 30 year old big if they are going to wait 3-4 years to contend)
kasrok
Freshman
And1: 102

Post#7 » by kasrok » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:20 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:

I think Derrick and Keldon aren't going anywhere. DJ, Derrick, and KJ are as close to untouchable for us as can be.
They're part of our core. Trading Luka just when he's showing promise while the Magic have players at that position also makes less sense. He's a long-term project who we wait for while the ready-now PF we hypothetically acquire slides into the win-now starting slot.

That leaves LMA + Lonnie which has been suggested by several fans on social media.

Read on Twitter

Our starting back court that we've developed and nurtured for years and whose talent we're just NOW at the beginnings of reaping rewards? I get negotiations and starting with a high price, but Jesus that's just delusional. And they already have two young promising PG's so I'm skeptical of this - but this is the time of the year when such wild proposals pop up.

Yeah no way I would include both of our young guards, but in addition to one of our young guys and a first rounder (even White, because we've been solid without him this season and I think he's an attractive piece) I would like to Spurs to consider it. Although Vuc wouldn't vault us into Lakers-Clippers tier, I think we would fair nice against anyone including the Jazz and Suns. New to posting on forums so I'm not sure I did this right lol.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#8 » by Ballings7 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 10:36 pm

I could see Rudy going to a mid-level playoff team off the bench; but think he may be kept for stability while Luka comes up.

Aldridge I think has a decent chance to be gone. Packaging him + someone like Lonnie or a R1 pick I can see occurring. I definitely like Lonnie but would be the easiest to give up of all the young-ish wings, next to Vassell.

Mills and Derozan are going to stick around I'd say, which is good. They don't conflict/question the team necessarily for anyone else on it.. eventually will need another dynamic big wing, but that isn't present -- Maybe Keldon takes that role over the next year or two with his improvement, jumping up a level. He has the physical tools to do it and plays bigger than he is (length-wise).

Lyles, probably stays. Could help a contender off the bench as a solid agile utility PF.

Vucevic I've always liked his game, consistent, and think he'd be enhanced defensively on the team. I thought I remember him actually starting out more as a defender and rebounder before he expanded his game. Him and Samanic as bigs would be pretty intriguing and dynamic and high IQ. I like Luka's demeanor and personality after seeing a few interviews, always has impressed since his SL time. That one cross-over drive he did from the 3PT line was incredible.

Vucevic coming on would give the team a 2014/2015-esque feel with the diverse, versatile styles and backgrounds, and guys who know what they can do, and are tough. Just less size defensively on the wing than those teams had.

I think long-term over the next 2 years or so, it'd most likely be a 2nd round and out, team with DeRozan and the other wings + Luka coming on; but who knows, maybe get further in a crafty but persistent Spurs way.

In the least Pop would go out engaged and bringing along the younger guys into primed veterans; maybe staying longer than planned.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:50 am

kasrok wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah no way I would include both of our young guards, but in addition to one of our young guys and a first rounder (even White, because we've been solid without him this season and I think he's an attractive piece) I would like to Spurs to consider it. Although Vuc wouldn't vault us into Lakers-Clippers tier, I think we would fair nice against anyone including the Jazz and Suns. New to posting on forums so I'm not sure I did this right lol.

We know that our bubble line-up which includes DJ-Derrick backcourt has been white hot since the bubble. We owe it to ourselves to reap the rewards of our long-term investment. I'd be loathe to part with Derrick. I think he's a better fundamentals defender and passer than DJ, and together their games complement one another so well. I just don't see us parting with him given he's our most complete player developed in our program.

And given also that the latest scuttlebutt is they'd want Jakob, DJ and picks - it just gets more hilarious! It's like we're trading for Timmy lol

If they come down to a reasonable stratosphere, for sure a deal can be had and for sure Vuc would make us better.

And welcome to the forum, kasrok!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:35 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:51 am

Hmm interesting. Ideally I'd rather LMA not be in the west. But whatever gets us the best return is the bottom line. The more teams vying for his services, the better it is for us.

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,311

Post#12 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 am

Some potential Aldridge trades:
Hawks for Gallinari (Aldridge + 2nd Rd pick?)
Boston for FRP (TPE)
Miami for Olynyk, Meyers Leonard & FRP (dumping Leonard alone might be worth a FRP right now)
Orlando for Vucevic (Aldridge + Vassell + FRP?)
Dallas for Porzingis (Aldridge + Vassell + Walker?)
Sacramento for Harrison Barnes & Nemanja Bejelica (Aldridge, Lyles, Bates-Diop & FRP?)
Sac for Buddy, Bejelica & Ramsey (Aldridge, Lyles, Walker, Bates-Diop, 2nd Rd pick?)

I believe all these trades would also get the Spurs under the luxury tax, which should also be a goal of this trade seeing as they are just a hair over the tax and aren't a true contender. No reason to spend a season in the tax when the core is still this young, especially in a season where revenue is down sharply.
I do think the Spurs would be willing to stay over the tax for a major addition. For example they could do the Barnes trade without the addition of Bates-Diop, or the Porzingis trade without either Walker or Vassell (add a FRP if removing Vassell though).

I hope these trades are good food for thought, but I'm sure everyone probably hates them :lol:

I think Portland for Hood & Derrick Jones Jr. is also a possibility if they add a sweetener (FRP swap, 2nd rd pick?) but that doesn't get us under the tax so not sure that would work for the Spurs unless Portland adds Kanter, but then I'm not sure they'd be interested -- Kanter has been playing well for them, quite likely better than Aldridge would.
Another possible trade could be Hornets for Zeller & Bridges, but again, it wouldn't get us under the tax. I do think that's an important goal, and not just to save money.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,311

Post#13 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:58 am

Also it wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs do go after a pretty big name here, even if they have to part with more draft capital/young players than fans would want or expect.
Don't get me wrong I don't see them giving up Murray & White + picks for Vuc or anything crazy like that, but after this season they won't likely have a chance to match salaries on an All Star-level player again for awhile without parting with a member of their young core, like Murray when his extension kicks in. That would be a bitter pill to swallow after all the development they've put into him.
So unless they suddenly become popular in free agency, this could be their last-best chance for awhile to make a splash move. That's why I think Vuc or Porzingis or even a Barnes could be their target. Even if they aren't getting value for Aldridge in the deal, there is value in just taking advantage of his contract to match salaries while you have it on the books.
Spurs, after all, have a pretty good track record of retaining guys if they can get them here. It's the getting them here part that's been tricky in the past.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Interesting point about getting under the luxury tax, CIN.

p.s. I was just listening to Bobby Marks on Instagram and he said we are $1M under the luxury tax and we have one extra roster spot available. So we can potentially take back two players, but getting under the luxury tax looks to be a non-issue, unless we happen to take on extra salary with a bigger deal.

I wonder as you do whether we aren't in fact looking to make that bigger deal to acquire someone who may be a RFA and we could have the option of matching after his being with us for a while. It's an added advantage rather than trying to recruit from outside, plus we get a player who can contribute now.

In addition to Blazers, Hawks, Heat, there's now whispers of Bulls expressing interest which is intriguing (though I'd be far more interested in a Lauri deal than a Porter Jr. deal):
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by imagump1313 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:27 am

Didn't they just tell him he's earned the right to find his own deal?
Now they are saying they wont trade him to a Western team?

That really limits his options IMO and kind of a dick move by us. The only team I wouldn't trade him to is the Lakers. Other than that, he can go wherever he wants IMO. Its not like he is going to hurt us.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#16 » by Ballings7 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:39 am

If its Miami, I'd definitely be into a Kelly Olynk deal.. I mean, this isn't the Aldridge of two years ago, but for what he has been most recently and the rejuventation in a smaller role thing for another team, I don't think its too bad.

Olynk would give better stability, agility, and production at PF/C while Luka comes up to speed. For Miami its about making Aldridge the go to guy off the bench against 2nd units, where they don't have that right now from the big spot outside of Bam who isn't the shooter Aldridge is, and not just making Aldridge a spot up mid and 3PT shooter.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:00 am

imagump1313 wrote:Didn't they just tell him he's earned the right to find his own deal?
Now they are saying they wont trade him to a Western team?

That really limits his options IMO and kind of a dick move by us. The only team I wouldn't trade him to is the Lakers. Other than that, he can go wherever he wants IMO. Its not like he is going to hurt us.

Well the thing is that it has to work for both sides. Recently DJ intimated that LMA initiated this move and the Spurs are accommodating him. DJ praised the team for being willing to do so. So it has to work for both sides, yes, but I think we won't be hampering ourselves in a lesser deal if a better one was available to accommodate him as we're already accommodating him with this parting.

Kudos to LMA and his camp as well as the ever tight lipped Spurs for not letting even a hint leak - Pop broke the news, not any outside reporter. So clearly both sides are working together.

Spurs told his agent to see what's out there while Spurs brass does the same and they communicate about best deal.

That whole thing about not trading to a west team is from NBA execs who think it's unlikely that the Spurs will trade him to a west team. Big difference. And if we don't, considering the request came from him, it's likely he's got east teams he's willing to go to as well.

And if he's so insistent on joining the Blazers, he can do it in three or four more months.

Here's the DJ quote:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by imagump1313 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:13 am

I really don't see why it matters if thats where he wants to go and we get something in return. Its not like he's Magic Johnson. He isn't going to hurt us wherever he goes. Plus we aren't good enough right now to be worried about that.

I can't see us dealing with the Lakers or other natural rivals like the Suns, Mavericks or Rockets but other than that who cares if we can get something decent back?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:37 am

imagump1313 wrote:I really don't see why it matters if thats where he wants to go and we get something in return. Its not like he's Magic Johnson. He isn't going to hurt us wherever he goes. Plus we aren't good enough right now to be worried about that.

I can't see us dealing with the Lakers or other natural rivals like the Suns, Mavericks or Rockets but other than that who cares if we can get something decent back?

I think the Spurs agree with you. This isn't a case where we don't even field offers from west teams in general. We field everywhere with very few exceptions as you outlined, plus probably not the teams in the lowest standings (unless they're the third team to help facilitate a deal). We take the best deal available. But the Blazers, for instance, just don't happen to have the right assets to match salaries ($19M minimum) - I don't think, so either a third team or going elsewhere ie/ East is the option. At least LMA seems amenable to it. I doubt we'd ship him off to like Cleveland or something. But Heat and Cs are solid teams with good programs. Bulls have a young team on the upswing but not competing for anything. It also depends on how big a deal we are looking to make.

I'd love to know a prospective list of teams he prefers and the kinds of deals we're exploring. I do like that we have multiple teams expressing interest. Sounds promising.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#20 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:24 pm

So the Heat and Cs stay in the news connected to LMA:
Miami has also dangled veterans Avery Bradley, Maurice Harkless and Meyers Leonard to match salaries as part of a trade package for San Antonio’s LaMarcus Aldridge, league sources told HoopsHype. The Heat would also have to add another minimum contract such as either Chris Silva or KZ Okpala and draft pick compensation to make a trade worthwhile for San Antonio.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-trade-rumors-lamarcus-aldridge-kyle-lowry-ricky-rubio/

We have two spots available, so assuming nobody else besides LMA is sent out I assume we'd either send AB and ML (both contracts expire 2021) elsewhere or release them. MH is 27, a 6'7" SF who has hardly played this season and whose deal also expires 2021. Silva and Okpala are both young 6'8" PFs - that's about all I know of them. These guys and draft compensation are really the targets here.

p.s. I just watched some videos of both and first impression is to go for Okpala. Better skill set, younger, fits our style, not sure about his D yet.

This is encouraging:
Miami is expected to have competition from several teams hoping to acquire Aldridge to improve their playoff chances.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-trade-rumors-lamarcus-aldridge-kyle-lowry-ricky-rubio/

I wonder whether Philly might be one of them?

Some executives around the league who spoke with HoopsHype believe the Boston Celtics could join the mix to acquire Aldridge using their $28.5 million trade exception despite Danny Ainge recently suggesting the team will most likely use the exception during the offseason.

Aldridge earns $24 million this season. The Celtics are roughly $19.9 million below the hard cap and would need to send out $4.1 million in salary to San Antonio to stay below the hard cap according to our salary cap expert Yossi Gozlan.

Given Ainge's reputation for needing to gouge any trade partner or he doesn't do the deal it's less likely we make something happen with them but it's interesting that East teams continue to dominate the trade winds.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs