SPURS GAME DAY! GAME 40: SPURS AT NETS, 9-1-2022, 11AM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,686

Re: SPURS GAME DAY! GAME 40: SPURS AT NETS, 9-1-2022, 11AM (CT) 

Post#21 » by G R E Y » Sun Jan 9, 2022 7:23 pm

4TH Q: SPURS 113

NETS 113

So very proud of our fight. We're on a 14-2 run to end the Q, playing solid D, getting stops, getting to contest well, getting rebounds, making clutch shots, just willing to find a way.

Excellent team effort. Just five more minutes of the same, Spurs, please!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#22 » by G R E Y » Sun Jan 9, 2022 7:34 pm

Why didn't we use our foul to give?!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#23 » by G R E Y » Sun Jan 9, 2022 8:09 pm

OT: SPURS 119

NETS 121

Well it came down to one shot that we didn't defend and several drives that we didn't make. Damn.

I' so proud of how we competed throughout this game. You can tell we really wanted it, that we took all they ran with and gave it right back, with some solid two-way play.

I like how we doubled and switched and contested. Just a couple of angles here and there and it's a different result, but all plays contribute to the final outcome.

We missed four FTs, for instance, so there's some points, we missed layups throughout the game but especially in the 4TH and in OT.

We're so depleted and perhaps rushed some shots and passes that we TOd.

Pop was livid at Jakob for that moving screen O foul, another what could've been.

Diop and Primo and Cacok did really well as game progressed. Diop with his D on KD, and some drives, Primo with some misses earlier then a clutch game-tying 3 and some crafty passes inside to our bigs, Cacok with the hustle and 4-5 shooting.

DJ played his heart out as did Lonnie; everyone, really. I thought Primo pushed it too much in trying to score, but I like his moxie.

I know it's disappointing but it's a galvanizing game, I think. It brought everyone together, engaged and pulling for one another, hopefully with enough juice to take it out on our opponent tomorrow.

We had five starter and seven players in double figures, we had 33 assists (!), we made 13-32 from 3, and put up 107 FGAs. We missed a lot of bunnies like I said, and we're going to look at film for the quality of shots we took, but considering we're out six players, we did what we could with what we have.

We did get outrebounded 55-44, 13-12 on O boards, and this one hurts because they got an O board putback to initially give them the OT lead.

So proud that we came back to tie it in OT after multiple chances to take the lead but not giving up.

DJ got a double double in points and assists; Jakob, in points and rebounds, including a game high 7 on O.

Lonnie flat out balled today. Full credit to him for driving strong and assertively, for absorbing physicality, and for finishing well off the glass.

We made 15TOs which is something we'll have to keep working on as well as our inbounds plays. There were some decisions that were rooted in rushed plays - again attempts to pass to Jakob inside regardless of how contested he was weren't smart. Yes that's the play, but read the situation and adjust. It comes with experience.

As does recognizing that when their best player has four fouls, he's the one to drive at and pressure to defend.

On the other end, we keep fouling a lot inside, so we need to make a more concerted effort to rotate and contest cleanly.

We missed some rotations and switches for their open shots, so it's something to clean up as well, and the more time we have with this group, the better they will recognize what to do when.

I didn't like Patty showboating after taking a charge on Bryn. A bit surprising...

As to the last play:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Valiant effort overall, so very proud of our heart, and I hope it pushes us to rally and play all the harder tomorrow.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs