SPURS GAME DAY! GAME 79: SPURS AT NUGGETS, 5-4-2022, 8PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: SPURS GAME DAY! GAME 79: SPURS AT NUGGETS, 5-4-2022, 8PM (CT) 

Post#21 » by imagump1313 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 4:07 am

That was an unexpected win. Vassell is really showing his stuff lately which is exactly what this season was supposed to do. Same with Jones. Not thrilled about making the play-in but if Lakers lose tonight we are in. More happy with seeing guys step up who needed to prove themselves.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#22 » by Phreak50 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 4:11 am

Offense flows better without Murray.

Just saying.

Sell high...
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#23 » by G R E Y » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:19 am

4TH Q: SPURS 116

NUGGETS 97

After a 3RD Q let down, we got our wind back, got our mojo going, got some stops, grabbed some rebounds, made some FTs, and a huge frustration dunk by Jakob.

Their coach is one who really targets Jakob consistently for FT's, and Jakob made just enough to keep us ahead by a still tough margin to overcome.

I was yelling at the screen for Pop to sub Jakob out but goodness Pop chose to make Jakob earn it. You could say reward Jakob for his solid play and also get him to work through a pressure situation. Yes a coach has to strategize, and I think had the game been a lot closer there would be a higher likelihood of swapping in Zach on O possessions, but there's also something to be said for a coach not bailing a player out or a player not over-relying on a coach as a crutch for his weakness.

Devin stepped up to take assertive shots; Keldon stepped up with another 20 point game and when his shot wasn't falling he committed to driving and taking contact for it. We're seeing them grow before our eyes. Tre stepped up to lead the team with grit and confidence, making good decisions with the ball, earning everyone's trust, asserting himself on O all the while. We had six Spurs in double figure, but Tre was the only one with a double double with 14 & 10.

Primo struggled to score but still found ways to contribute with seeing eye passes and solid D, most especially that help D block from behind.

Two rookies stepping up in an important game. Love it!

JRich had been such a terrific addition for us. Great D, clutch shots, positive energy, reliable on both ends.

Zach is growing more comfortable and rewarding us with some solid **** disturbing minutes that get under opponent skin. He gave us great minutes and contributions on both ends.

Lonnie rightfully sat late in the game. He's on a minutes restriction, I think, and he's back to being a wildcard, putting it most politely. We STILL can't rely on him to properly run a play. He goes rogue, ignores open team mates, takes shots early in the clock, and cardinal ain, didn't run back on D.

Keita gave us a quietly efficient 4-5, made impactful plays with boxouts, rebounds, good D presence, disruptive length.

We shot well, scored 30+ points in three quarters, protected the ball well with only 10TOs.

Great timeouts by Pop to stem the tide of their momentum, to reel us in when we got too loose, to steady us when our lead dwindled to four.

Strategy for the game was well executed:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

But we never gave up and continued to fight to build it back up again.

Resilience, focus, execution, scrambling for the ball, all showed our growth in pressure situations.

We do need to make sure we keep coming to the ball on D boards to limit second chance points and we do need to make sure we reward ourselves for the hard work in getting to the FT line by making them.

Again, I'm so damn proud of how we played our way through and out of trouble, how we got good plays on both ends, how we came together with players missing, how we overcame waves of attacks to tie the number of wins we got last season, albeit on fewer games, but exceeding the betting line for projected wins.

And we're now in the play-in, still reaching for higher as we play better at just the right time.

Amazing team win.

GO SPURS GO!!!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#24 » by G R E Y » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:20 am

imagump1313 wrote:That was an unexpected win. Vassell is really showing his stuff lately which is exactly what this season was supposed to do. Same with Jones. Not thrilled about making the play-in but if Lakers lose tonight we are in. More happy with seeing guys step up who needed to prove themselves.

The best is we can still land a top 9 pick lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by imagump1313 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 11:38 am

Phreak50 wrote:Offended flows better without Murray.

Just saying.

Sell high...

I disagree. The change of pace between the two of them is helpful. Jones definitely needs to work on an outside shot, but right now the contrast between the two of them works and allows us to adjust our offense accordingly. Jones as the sole PG would be bottled up by any team that wanted to focus on him because he is limited offensively.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#26 » by Phreak50 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 11:04 pm

imagump1313 wrote:

Just saying.

Sell high...

I disagree. The change of pace between the two of them is helpful. Jones definitely needs to work on an outside shot, but right now the contrast between the two of them works and allows us to adjust our offense accordingly. Jones as the sole PG would be bottled up by any team that wanted to focus on him because he is limited offensively.

It's all the one and done mid ranger jumpers I hate from Murray.

Granted he doesn't have a Robinson or Duncan like Avery and Parker had but still.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by imagump1313 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 11:46 pm

Phreak50 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

Just saying.

Sell high...

It's all the one and done mid ranger jumpers I hate from Murray.

Granted he doesn't have a Robinson or Duncan like Avery and Parker had but still.

Yeah, I agree that gets annoying. Sometimes he tries to do too much. I do like how they have been experimenting with running both Jones and Murray at once. Then you can have a more true point like Jones is and I've always said that Murray is more of a 2 guard anyway.

Return to San Antonio Spurs