POP AND TONY NOMINATED TO THE 2023 BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS! INDUCTED 12-8-2023

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,743

Re: POP AND TONY NOMINATED TO THE 2023 BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS! 

Post#41 » by G R E Y » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: POP AND TONY NOMINATED TO THE 2023 BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS! 

Post#42 » by G R E Y » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:15 am

WHAT

A

NIGHT!!!!!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: POP AND TONY NOMINATED TO THE 2023 BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS! INDUCTED 12-8-2023 

Post#43 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:36 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: POP AND TONY NOMINATED TO THE 2023 BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS! INDUCTED 12-8-2023 

Post#44 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:40 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#45 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:48 am

Among the four of them, Tony spoke first then Pau, Pop, and Becky. But I've included these two anecdotes in the middle with Tony and Pop's full speeches bookending a once-in-a-lifetime, emotional event. These give a glimpse behind the veil as to why the forged relationships are so strong:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:cry:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#46 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:50 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#47 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:26 am

What a whirlwind of emotions in this incredible evening.

Symphony Hall is a beautiful, grand performance space in the tradition of ornate proscenium stages befitting such a momentous event.

And like other such older buildings, it comes with challenges for modern audiences: staircases and seats to scale for Hobbits. I'm average height for a woman and my knees were touching the back of the seat in front of me. But the sightlines were good from just about everywhere in this horseshoe seating configuration.

There was strong team support by fans who came for each of the players inducted. And it was really good to see solid turnout and appreciation for the non-NBA inductees with several standing ovations for them as well.

It was interesting to hear the different approaches to the speeches; it's as much about what you can't fit in as what's included in all these illustrious careers. Tony was funny and inspiring; Pau was more methodical in going over a chronological synopsis and what each meant to him, highlighted by his time in LA and deep friendships but also gratitude for his time with the Spurs; Becky was inspiring too, the ultimate underdog tale, and included a DREAM acronym for which Pop was the 'E' in a post above. And Pop was his wisecracking, self-deprecating self, with a good dose of genuine outpouring of emotions and wisdom.

Tony presented first and we got to see a side of him we've come to expect - the charming Frenchie who could work a room, and a side we haven't - emotionally expressive gratitude as he detailed each of his family member's roles, culminating with his Dad, as so many have. These glimpses behind the scenes of how people organize themselves, the sacrifices they make alongside pro athletes really makes you appreciate how much an individual's success really is a group effort.

Seeing Tony all emotional after some funny moments was a lead up to Pop in both ways but also in terms of time.

Tony mentioned that inductees were encouraged to limit their speeches to 10 minutes. Tony's was just over 14 minutes from memory of recording it. At the time I thought, well Pop will probably wants to get off the stage ASAP. In general some longer speeches were balanced out with shorter ones.

Then came Pop. Twenty-six minutes. It was so long my battery died :lol: but nothing beats being there and feeling the well of emotion and experiencing how quiet the audience became to listen with respect and support in these moments. They were interspersed with claps and shouts of encouragement. Someone said on Twitter that Pop was agonizing over his speech; you can't include everybody or every important event and with so many to choose from you can see how difficult it would be to decide. Well with the longest speech of the night, Pop chose to include more, time limits be damned.

You could see how much it meant to all of them what with being overcome by the moment despite preparations. We don't often see the more raw human side of those we love to support and cheer for. It's part of what makes this ceremony so special.

I *just* held it together when Tony broke down talking about his father but had a huge lump in my throat and blew air into my eyes when Pop talked about his family and the changing dynamics after a painful loss as well as when he spoke of the joy he has with his grandchildren. So endearing and just cute.

When Becky spoke of Pop's impact on her life and career, how she couldn't look at him as she did so, and then seeing Pop break down ooooof *tears* I get welled up just thinking about it. Damn it, Becky! :lol:

I feel kind of empty and emotionally drained, like passing through an invisible arch and things are different somehow. I can only imagine how much more so it must be for the presenters. Part of it is sheer relief at being on the other end of it; part of it is sealing up that vulnerable space we all have but rarely get to see in others we admire from afar; and part of it is that transition of being on the threshold of the Hall of Fame to being official members of it. It is also this aspect of filling a void after being emptied. For some it's a culmination, for others, a continuation.

Tony has his ASVEL team and is now a global spokesperson for Adidas. Becky is back on the sidelines, having not missed a game despite the event. And Pop has had one incredible summer: drafting Wemby and spending time with him and his family, thus extending a long tradition, signing the highest ever NBA coaching contract, being inducted into the Hall of Fame - and it's only mid-August.

Back to the grind, a long practiced routine that brings normalcy and grounds after such a high. I was struck by the daily repetitive aspect to greatness, by the mundaneness and thanklessness of it all and the contrast of the cheers now for it. I was struck by the contrast of Pop being mystified at his being here, giving credit to so many others (including insisting Tony be inducted before him; and yes R.C. deserves to be there alongside them) while not talking about his own work ethic and drive. I was struck by the deep respect and gratitude so many have for Pop, and that most of it has little to do with basketball. Funny what people remember. You never know the impact a seemingly small question or gesture can have, like Pau recalling the Valentine anecdote or Dirk recalling Pop's hand written note after the Mavs won in 2011.

Integrity, practiced excellence, growing into being yourself, doing what you love, strong relationships. And the Hall of Fame opened its doors and welcomed a new group in.

Congratulations to all the inductees, and to our Spurs in particular. So honoured and happy to have witnessed such an inspiring and incredible event.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#48 » by G R E Y » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs