2023 NBA Draft: San Antonio Spurs Edition

Moderator: G R E Y

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

2023 NBA Draft: San Antonio Spurs Edition 

Post#1 » by Baphomet » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:15 am

Discuss all things related to the Spurs at the 2023 draft here. The prospects, the lottery, and the inglorious rigmarole of losing. Can the Spurs summon up the spirit of Timmy and the Admiral and strike gold again? The regular season is over, but now the real battle begins: The ping pong balls.

We all want Victor Wembanyama, for obvious reasons. A potentially generational unicorn prospect that could drastically change the fortunes of any franchise, if properly utilised. Everybody and their mother knows about him and has seen his gaudy highlights.

But let's suppose that the doomsday scenario happens. The 86% chance that we don't win the lottery becomes reality, and we wind up picking in the 2-7 range. Who do we like? Who do we like with our second rounders? This team's roster needs... well, quite a lot, to be frank.

The draft lottery takes place on May 16th. These are the lottery odds per Tankathon:

We lost the tie breaker with Houston so the lowest we can draft is 7th, and our most likely pick outcome percentage-wise is 6th.

I'll update this thread periodically as new information, such as tiebreak outcomes and draft order, becomes available.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: 2023 NBA Draft: San Antonio Spurs Edition 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:01 pm

Obviously I've been locked in on Wembanyama all season (none of these others are worth tanking for).

The most likely outcome is we do not get #1 and we are stuck. Depending where we are (2 through 6) I would probably look to trade out of the pick.

Brandon Miller is meh and a small forward which we don't need. He also did diddly squat in the tournament.
The Thompson twins are meh at best.
And I think Scoot Henderson is overrated failure (just my personal opinion).

That leaves us with a group of players which are all pretty much the same from 6 to 44 (our 2nd rounders 33 and 44). No one in this draft has a chance of changing a franchise trajectory except for Wemby.

Wether we try to trade for more assets or whatever I would have to think about depending on whats available.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Baphomet » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:18 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Obviously I've been locked in on Wembanyama all season (none of these others are worth tanking for).

The most likely outcome is we do not get #1 and we are stuck. Depending where we are (2 through 6) I would probably look to trade out of the pick.

Brandon Miller is meh and a small forward which we don't need. He also did diddly squat in the tournament.

That leaves us with a group of players which are all pretty much the same from 6 to 44 (our 2nd rounders 33 and 44). No one in this draft has a chance of changing a franchise trajectory except for Wemby.

Wether we try to trade for more assets or whatever I would have to think about depending on whats available.

Agree completely about Brandon Miller. I can see why scouts like his skillset so much and some mock him as a potential second pick, but I wouldn't want anything to do with him even if he was the best player in this draft (which he clearly isn't), for reasons that I'm sure most reading this would understand. I know it's also folly to overreact to a good or bad NCAA tournament, but he stunk the joint up so bad that it's hard to ignore. I understand misgivings about Scoot and the Thompson twins, but I'd take one of them over Miller without thinking twice, despite foibles.

Regarding the Thompson twins, I like their upside a lot. I feel like both of them could be good fits in coach Pop's motion offence, particularly with loop action plays. They're both incredible physical specimens and have rare playmaking gifts and defensive upside. But you have to be cautious and temper expectations for players that can't shoot in the modern NBA, and I can't vouch for the level of competition in Overtime Elite. However, Ausar has shown a gradually improving shooting stroke in a decent sample size that shows there's plenty of room for growth in that area.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by imagump1313 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:11 pm

Baphomet wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Obviously I've been locked in on Wembanyama all season (none of these others are worth tanking for).

Agree completely about Brandon Miller. I can see why scouts like his skillset so much and some mock him as a potential second pick, but I wouldn't want anything to do with him even if he was the best player in this draft (which he clearly isn't), for reasons that I'm sure most reading this would understand. I know it's also folly to overreact to a good or bad NCAA tournament, but he stunk the joint up so bad that it's hard to ignore. I understand misgivings about Scoot and the Thompson twins, but I'd take one of them over Miller without thinking twice, despite foibles.

Regarding the Thompson twins, I like their upside a lot. I feel like both of them could be good fits in coach Pop's motion offence, particularly with loop action plays. They're both incredible physical specimens and have rare playmaking gifts and defensive upside. But you have to be cautious and temper expectations for players that can't shoot in the modern NBA, and I can't vouch for the level of competition in Overtime Elite. However, Ausar has shown a gradually improving shooting stroke in a decent sample size that shows there's plenty of room for growth in that area.

Yeah, I understand about the Thompsons. My biggest problem with them I guess is did we just tank an entire season to use a #2, #3 or even 4th or 5th pick on one of them? It just looks to me that in what seems to be a weak draft (outside of Wemby) like a huge overpayment for a player that we could probably get with the 10th through 19th overall pick.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Baphomet » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:03 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Yeah, I understand about the Thompsons. My biggest problem with them I guess is did we just tank an entire season to use a #2, #3 or even 4th or 5th pick on one of them? It just looks to me that in what seems to be a weak draft (outside of Wemby) like a huge overpayment for a player that we could probably get with the 10th through 19th overall pick.

I think I have a habit of becoming overly enamoured by prospects like the Thompsons, happens to me every draft. That combination of elite athleticism, playmaking and defensive upside is such an alluring prospect and they can make us far more of a transitional threat, something this team really lacks (dead last in points per transitional possession). But I appreciate that they have struggles in the half-court and have shooting concerns, particularly Amen, the latter being a red flag for many, I'm sure. I wouldn't take either at #2 or #3, but I'd have to start thinking about Amen at #4. Just my opinion, though.

Out of interest, what is it you don't like about Scoot Henderson? I have some concerns that despite his bounce and energy, he'll be targeted on the defensive end because of his height. Offensively his biggest issue seems to be shot selection, but I have no doubt that our coaching staff could help him in that regard. Otherwise I think he has all the tools to be successful in the NBA.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:40 am

Baphomet wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Yeah, I understand about the Thompsons. My biggest problem with them I guess is did we just tank an entire season to use a #2, #3 or even 4th or 5th pick on one of them? It just looks to me that in what seems to be a weak draft (outside of Wemby) like a huge overpayment for a player that we could probably get with the 10th through 19th overall pick.

I think I have a habit of becoming overly enamoured by prospects like the Thompsons, happens to me every draft. That combination of elite athleticism, playmaking and defensive upside is such an alluring prospect and they can make us far more of a transitional threat, something this team really lacks (dead last in points per transitional possession). But I appreciate that they have struggles in the half-court and have shooting concerns, particularly Amen, the latter being a red flag for many, I'm sure. I wouldn't take either at #2 or #3, but I'd have to start thinking about Amen at #4. Just my opinion, though.

Out of interest, what is it you don't like about Scoot Henderson? I have some concerns that despite his bounce and energy, he'll be targeted on the defensive end because of his height. Offensively his biggest issue seems to be shot selection, but I have no doubt that our coaching staff could help him in that regard. Otherwise I think he has all the tools to be successful in the NBA.

IMO I just think he is extremely overrated. I watched a few games of his where he showed he only went to his right (He has gotten a tiny bit better at going left in the last few months). You already hit on his shot selection.

His size is a little concerning also because 6'2" in the NBA is nothing.
Also he doesn't seem to make anyone he plays with better and he's an average passer at best. On top of that, he only seems to pass if he absolutely has to. When he actually does make a play he taunts almost 100% of the time.

I think our staff would have to do a ton of re-programming of his AAU attitude. He looks like a player who has never actually been coached and allowed to do whatever. Making the jump to the NBA (especially San Antonio) where he would have to learn to be a part of a system on top of playing against players that are as good or better athletes as himself is a giant step.

I could be 100% wrong, but I just don't like him :lol:
That's why Im not a scout
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,711

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:40 pm

Love the thread, Baph!

Some upkeep info as we progress towards our selections:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:41 pm

That's one result sorted. And now we await another:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:34 pm

And here's the answer:

Read on Twitter

I always sort of considered us in this spot and a step up would have been a bonus. Now it's onto the lotto balls. May they bounce our way.

EDIT to add:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by imagump1313 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:14 pm

G R E Y wrote:That's one result sorted. And now we await another:

Read on Twitter

Yes, the difference between 6 and 7 is really nothing in this draft....
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:34 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:That's one result sorted. And now we await another:

Read on Twitter

Yes, the difference between 6 and 7 is really nothing in this draft....

Yeah I'm sure PATFO have been prepared for all variations, and having secured essentially a top 3 we've actually pared down the variables. We still have the highest chance at #1.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Baphomet » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:48 pm

G R E Y wrote:And here's the answer:

Read on Twitter

I always sort of considered us in this spot and a step up would have been a bonus. Now it's onto the lotto balls. May they bounce our way.

EDIT to add:

Read on Twitter

Thanks for this, wasn't aware the tiebreakers were so soon. Updated the OP to reflect the new information.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Tue May 9, 2023 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by imagump1313 » Tue May 16, 2023 11:48 am

I cant be watching live because we will lose for sure but I will be paying attention tonight........ :cowboy:

An entire year of hard work's result tonight!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Tue May 16, 2023 3:13 pm

imagump1313 wrote:I cant be watching live because we will lose for sure but I will be paying attention tonight........ :cowboy:

Your sacrifice is surely noted by the basketball celestials and may it be rewarded!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Tue May 16, 2023 3:15 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Baphomet » Tue May 16, 2023 3:59 pm

imagump1313 wrote:I cant be watching live because we will lose for sure but I will be paying attention tonight........ :cowboy:

I'll be staying up to 2AM to watch. Feeling really tense, but also excited.

Win or lose, we should at least have a somewhat clearer picture of what direction this franchise is headed in after tonight.
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,018

Post#18 » by damanick10 » Wed May 17, 2023 12:27 am

WE DID IT!!! HOLY ****!!!!
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Baphomet » Wed May 17, 2023 12:28 am