3 point hard-on

Moderator: G R E Y

Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 114

3 point hard-on 

Post#1 » by Magz50 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:31 pm

This is something that's been irking me a bit lately. We've turned into the Suns it seems jacking up three's on almost every posession. Rather than grinding it inside or driving to the hole. Now i know Parker and Manu are both gimpy still and aren't driving as much, but jeez, at least keep going to TD down low. Whenever he has the ball we seem to be effective on offense and TD usually scores. However lately most of the gameplan is to kick an extra pass for a three brick and it's costing us leads early in the game. Obviously none of our shooters are in form right now so why do we keep persisting? I know Pop might be trying to break through that barrier and hope we shoot into form but when it's obvious halfway through a game we're not gonna hit 3's, we need to adapt and start banging it downlow more. TD needs to be the focus. Get him the ball on every trip and play it from there.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#2 » by HarlemHeat37 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:47 pm

I agree..at least until Manu and Parker get healthier..Ginobili's shot selection is REALLY annoying me lately, because he's hurt, and he shouldn't be forcing it too much..the 3-16 vs. LA was annoying, because most of those shots were bad IMO..

most of the 3's are pretty good shots though..you'll get the occasional bad shots from Finley, Barry and Manu, but they aren't too bad in general..we've been like that for a while now..Duncan should ALWAYS be the main point of the O, at least until Parker regains his driving ability..he's slowly gaining it back though, as I've noticed the last few games..
ss1986v2
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#3 » by ss1986v2 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:07 pm

i dont know why people have started to point this out now. i guess its because we arent hitting the shots. but the spurs have lived and died by the 3pt shot for years now. and every time ive mentioned it to anyone, it seems to get forgotten rather quickly. when the 3pt shot is going, we win easily; when it isnt, we dont.

the only good thing about the recent shooting slump is that pop is having to go to timmy more often, which is always a good thing. the offensive always runs at its best when timmy is in on things.
Stupidity Should be Painful!
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,512

Post#4 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:46 pm

I think we are shooting them too much due to the fact that we don't penetrate as much as we used to. It is an easy shot to shoot and you are somewhat forced to use it more than usual when you go small. Pop isn't afraid to do that nowadays. I think he realized in that Orlando game that we can be very effective when we go small. Anyways... we need to go back to Timmy and play inside out more and punish teams in the paint
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#5 » by co_laper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:33 am

Well, we obviously have lived and die by the 3 point line in the past, but how we attempt those shots right now is the problem. In the past, the 3 point attempts has come from Duncan passing out from a double team, or from Parker/Gino's penetration. That's not exactly what's going on right now. We chuck up 3s quite a lot with no real reason. I see countless times where Manu faked a guy like he's about to drive, took a stepback and launch from the 3 point line. that's not the kind of 3 point attempts we've taken in the past. I see Finley chucking up 3s early in the shotclock too a lot more often this year. I don't mind the 3s taken by Bowen or Barry, but Manu and Finley's shot selection do bother me.
the southern dandy
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#6 » by the southern dandy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:16 pm

Three point shots are the face of our team. They will return when the Karma turns around and Parker heals. At least Finley's jumpshooting mechanics are aesthetically pleasing, the sweet lord knows I hardly ever both to watch the result anymore.

Good Karma to the Spurs.

Return to San Antonio Spurs