pops comment on the LA-MEM-trade?

Moderator: G R E Y

mudyez
Analyst
And1: 3

pops comment on the LA-MEM-trade? 

Post#1 » by mudyez » Sat Feb 9, 2008 12:05 pm

SI.com wrote:What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committe that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... index.html

Thoughts on that one?...I feel a little embarrassed about pop...As much as I like him, it looks like crying to me...We are the champs and we can repeat if we do our thing! The Lakers wont stop us if we dont let them and he should know that! Noone did the same when Sheed was traded to detroit! Its not like Shaq was trated to pho****...forget that! ;)

He is acting like Lolli-pop and I want to see Scarface-pop!

Lets show some selfconfidence and just kick them out of the playoffs!
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#2 » by UDRIH14 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 1:49 pm

i dont know wtf you are on about

wallace challenge anyone to make a comment

and pop went up and said what he thought about it....

so his entitled to voice his opinion, whether you agree or disagree with it, is ur opinion.
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."
mudyez
Analyst

Post#3 » by mudyez » Sat Feb 9, 2008 1:55 pm

but whats that good for?

now the lakers are angry, the grizzlies wont trade with us (miller?) and maybe even stern is pissed!

I love pop, and maybe he said it with his typical sarcasm but I would have liked it not to be said by one of us!

then again, I like pops straight into your face style (dont know if it was crying or joking)!

just wanted to know what you are thinking bout it!
Tiga
Senior

Post#4 » by Tiga » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:21 pm

It's all about the context I guess...
Pop must have been joking!
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 115

Post#5 » by Magz50 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:30 pm

They forgot the green text.
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#6 » by UDRIH14 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:33 pm

[quote="mudyez"]but whats that good for?

now the lakers are angry, the grizzlies wont trade with us (miller?) and maybe even stern is pissed!
/quote]

if we were interested in gasol and offered the same deal as the lakers did, would memphis take the trade?

now the miller situation, we could offer them what lakers did, would they still accept low first round picks + expiring contracts? NO.

so if they want a better package out of miller, like top picks and better players or expiring contracts, dont you think they couldve gotten more out for paus deal than millers deal?

so why did they trade a allstar player for peanuts, and now they think they can trade a good role player for a better player in return?
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."
mudyez
Analyst

Post#7 » by mudyez » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:55 pm

UDRIH14 wrote:so why did they trade a allstar player for peanuts, and now they think they can trade a good role player for a better player in return?

excactly!

just lets hope, that the grizzlies now are like: "wow, they are right, we need to give all teams something good"

maybe that way pop can land rudy instead if miller! :)

if he was just joking, I think its just great by him! I love pop!
SMRattler
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#8 » by SMRattler » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:27 pm

Hey guys!!!!!

It was a joke and a little bit of a shot at the Grizz. Pop could not care less about what others do. But some things do baffle him, just like all of us.

You have to know the Pop sarcasm to understand.
mudyez
Analyst

Post#9 » by mudyez » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:39 pm

ok, great...that makes me happy (and I will change the name of the topic)
Texas Longhorns
Banned User

Post#10 » by Texas Longhorns » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:29 pm

I think Pop was being sarcastic when he said it. If there's a video interview, I could tell better if he is just playing around or if he is serious about what he said.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,695

Post#11 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:00 pm

CIA Pop is playing with all of us...
Macker
Freshman

Post#12 » by Macker » Sat Feb 9, 2008 8:52 pm

Not sure what Pops means. There IS a trade committee. His name is David Stern. Does anyone really think the Griz-Lakers deal went down without Stern's approval?

Me, I think there was a deal between Stern and the current Memphis owner, who badly wants to sell the team, to make sure if they were going to trade Gasol that he would go to a big market team. The payback is probably Stern not standing in the way of new owners moving the team elsewhere, and maybe even active help in doing so.

Just makes too much sense. Everyone gets what they want, including Stern.
feoekells2
Freshman

Post#13 » by feoekells2 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 9:08 pm

it sounds like sour grapes. its ok if the spurs don't win the title once in a while.
CuttingEdge
Banned User

Post#14 » by CuttingEdge » Sat Feb 9, 2008 9:08 pm

I think Popovich is serious and proclaimed himself a Pussified Competitor. Good luck with your discredited coach.
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#15 » by shobe_81 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 9:26 pm

CuttingEdge wrote:I think Popovich is serious and proclaimed himself a Pussified Competitor. Good luck with your discredited coach.

:D :lol: I don't think he played the Billiachack card! Spurs are getting old and I think he realizes that the window is closing fast within the next 2 years for them to win again. I don't blame him when you've got crazy competition in the West now. And it is a bit sad that Gasol would be tradeable for Kwame WOW!!! Although the trade was good for both teams in their own perspective.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#16 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Feb 9, 2008 9:26 pm

CuttingEdge wrote:I think Popovich is serious and proclaimed himself a Pussified Competitor. Good luck with your discredited coach.

No one cares what you think... :lol:
AnDrOiDKing4
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#17 » by AnDrOiDKing4 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:00 am

lol, well said Pop, Memphis's GM is dumb and thought no one would call him out on his comments, Pop put him in his place.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#18 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:04 am

Well just for the sake of argument, let say there was a committee, there would never be any trades.

Lakers got a hell of a deal but you know you can't get mad at the guy who gets that a quality car at a much different price compared to you when and if you were interested.
CoachPop
Junior
And1: 126

Post#19 » by CoachPop » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:08 am

Anybody not familiar with Pop's sense of humor is making a fool of themselves by commenting on Pop's comment.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#20 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:11 am

CoachPop wrote:Anybody not familiar with Pop's sense of humor is making a fool of themselves by commenting on Pop's comment.

Yeah... I know. People are ranting about it endlessly on the general board.

Return to San Antonio Spurs