AJ taking over for POP?

Moderator: G R E Y

Would you love to have AJ coach the Spurs once Pop retires?

yes
22%
no
56%
I posted a better option down there...
11%
I posted a better option down there...
11%

Total votes: 9

mudyez
Analyst
And1: 3

AJ taking over for POP? 

Post#1 » by mudyez » Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:34 am

I just was posting something on the Mavs-board, because it seems like some of the dallas-fans are really hating on avery.

IMO, he is one of the best 5 coaches in this league....pop, sloan, riley and the KFC-guy come to mind.

What I wanted to ask you:
I know its some years until then, but wouldnt you love to finally have AJ coaching the spurs, when pop retires?

Its a definatly "yes" from me, coz I like him as a person and even coachingwise he stands for what this organisation is standing for...hell, he made dallas playing really good defense!!!
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#2 » by UDRIH14 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:38 am

no thanks
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."
LyMinh
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#3 » by LyMinh » Wed Mar 5, 2008 2:28 pm

Hell Yes
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 114

Post#4 » by Magz50 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm still undecided on AJ.
CoachPop
Junior
And1: 126

Post#5 » by CoachPop » Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:26 pm

He's failing spectacularly in Dallas. Two of the biggest postseason flops/upsets in sports history happened under his watch, and people WANT him as a coach?!?! :crazy:

He's going to be fired over the summer when the Mavs get knocked out of the playoffs early again. And I doubt he gets much love at all for other coaching vacancies. He's the prime example of a rookie coach who gets thrown into a great situation, which makes him look great, but only until be bungles it completely.

AJ take over for Pop? Hell F*cking No!

AJ needs to get a LOOOOOOOOOOT more experience coaching before he should even be considered to coach the Spurs. Lets look at his resume: He got majorly outcoached by Riles, majorly outcoached by Nelson, and now he's just about lost his team. And this guy is a top five coach in the league?? :crazy:

Anyways, hell no to Avery. -_-
mudyez
Analyst

Post#6 » by mudyez » Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:47 pm

I'd say he somewhat outcoached Pop in 06 too...

Dont get me wrong, Pop is the best and I love him, but when he is gone, so is Timmy and that means we are rebuilding anyway...Wouldnt it be nice to have a fresh, young coach, other than taking...say hubie brown? ;)

(actually I'd take hubie over any coach not names popovic)
CoachPop
Junior
And1: 126

Post#7 » by CoachPop » Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:55 pm

He didn't outchoach Pop in that series. Pop managed to keep his guys believing, even down 3-1, and was one Manu foul away from making AJ eat another epic playoff collapse.

Anyways, I think I explained my case well enough. Not much more to say on the subject..
Rique
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Rique » Wed Mar 5, 2008 6:19 pm

Hate to say this, but No DEAL. I was a fan of Avery when he was here, but I really don't think he's a great coach yet. I also haven't liked some of the moves the Mav's organization has taken against the Spurs while Avery has been there. Its just a perception really. He's a good guy, but I don't think his coaching is that good yet. Also, his coaching style only works on really good teams. If he tried coaching like that with the Knicks or the Nuggets, he'd be tuned out by now. He's a good guy, but I think some of the assistant coaches under Pop right now would do a better job.
mudyez
Analyst

Post#9 » by mudyez » Wed Mar 5, 2008 6:46 pm

I guess, there was a reason Mike Budenholzer got to coach a preseason game!

4 more full seasons to go with timmy und pops! Image
mudyez
Analyst

Post#10 » by mudyez » Wed Mar 5, 2008 6:52 pm

CoachPop wrote:He didn't outchoach Pop in that series. Pop managed to keep his guys believing, even down 3-1, and was one Manu foul away from making AJ eat another epic playoff collapse.

Anyways, I think I explained my case well enough. Not much more to say on the subject..

I think, if Pop aver made a mistake, it was to play smallball with them (06mavs) instead of going big...but who can blame him: I'd take the opportunity to play bowen+fin+barry+manu more than giving their minutes to rasho too!

It was a great series...Maybe the best I ever saw...And yeah, it all came down to the stupid Manu foul, but after all AJ did a great job against Pop that year.

I only hope we dont take on an old nba-coach...give me AJ, one off the assitants or a college coach!....young blood!
tuncaboylu
Rookie

Post#11 » by tuncaboylu » Wed Mar 5, 2008 7:20 pm

Last year Golden State coach Don Nelson outcoached AJ terribly. He couldn't make any counter move against run&gun.
AJ is a good guy, but not in first class yet.
mudyez
Analyst

Post#12 » by mudyez » Wed Mar 5, 2008 7:34 pm

I kind of ask myself if AJ was hyped that badly here in germany or if it was the same in the US
Rique
Senior

Post#13 » by Rique » Wed Mar 5, 2008 7:50 pm

I feel the main reason AJ had success against Pop was because AJ was a product of the system. AJ was raised in that system and that is what he knew. I feel that AJ has trouble adapting to other teams and that is why they struggle against other teams. Remember the Mavs were built to beat the Spurs. All the pieces they put together were focused on beating the Spurs. So I feel that is why they did well against the Spurs. The entire season was aimed at beating the Spurs.
DBMethos
Junior

Post#14 » by DBMethos » Wed Mar 5, 2008 9:18 pm

No thanks. I appreciate what he did for us as a player, but I'm not a fan of his coaching whatsoever.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,512

Post#15 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Mar 5, 2008 9:53 pm

I don't want to think about life without Pop... say what you want but he doesn't f'up a good thing.
LyMinh
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#16 » by LyMinh » Thu Mar 6, 2008 2:31 pm

All you need to stop hatin' on the Lil General.

It's not his fault Dirk and the Mavs are a bunch of soft chokers!

Return to San Antonio Spurs