Reviews from the Spurs Draft

Moderator: G R E Y

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Reviews from the Spurs Draft 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:29 pm

I didn't see a draft thread here for the Spurs. I wanted to know what some of your opinions about who they drafted on Thursday and were their choices suited what you had in mind.

DeJuan Blair 6'7 PF Pitt
Jack McClinton 6'1 PG Miami
Nando de Colo 6'5 SG France(overseas)

Spurs get a Malik Rose clone in Blair who can rebound the ball and play defense and can put back shots. However he comes with questionable knees. How's his durability?

De Colo is a prospect who more likely will be staying overseas.

McClinton can shot the ball from the latest from the workouts. Don't know what eslse's he's capable of since I've barely seen him play on the court.
BigWeezy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Reviews from the Spurs Draft 

Post#2 » by BigWeezy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Not sure how much everyone values Chad Ford's opinion, but here's his draft review stuff for those who haven't seen it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009 ... des-090626

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/dra ... ear%3d2009

He gave the Spurs an A+ for draft day, the only team to get that high of a grade.

I could not have been more happy with the way the draft went. We got a guy who was projected to go top 15-20 in most mocks and who completely dominated the number 2 overall pick on two separate occasions this year, once going off for 22 and 23:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... 16_PITT@CT

Holy crap. If Memphis expects Thabeet to contribute immediately, it's reasonable to expect Blair to do so as well. I realize you can't always make that assumption because match ups play a key role, but Blair won't often be guarded or boxed out by the opposing teams best big because of Duncan. He should be able to feed off garbage points, and being a 2nd round pick his knees aren't much of a concern because we don't have to fully guarantee a contract.

I know nothing about De Colo, but on the link above Ford called him the best player at the Reebok Eurocamp, which several players that got drafted before him attended.

And McClinton I only saw play once this year, but the Eddie House comparisons are pretty accurate from what I saw, but I'd say Jack moves a little better without the ball. Definitely gonna be a situational guy that will probably have some 15 point games, but a lot more DNPs.

Hope you guys are all as excited as I am with the Spurs offseason so far
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#3 » by Donald Kaufman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:02 am

BigWeezy wrote:Hope you guys are all as excited as I am with the Spurs offseason so far

Couldn't be happier. The icing on the cake would be landing McDyess.
mikeblack
Ballboy

Post#4 » by mikeblack » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:52 am

Turnover King wrote:
BigWeezy wrote:Hope you guys are all as excited as I am with the Spurs offseason so far

Is it looking more like McDyess than Wallace? Could either be had for the MLE? I was very happy with the draft. I really like Blair and McClinton. Haven't seen much of De Colo.
the southern dandy
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#5 » by the southern dandy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 am

Blair should get a rotation spot, which is great value at 37. McClinton also looks to be a roster player at 51. The Spurs deserve high grades for this draft, they showed excellent poise.

My faith in the front office is slowly returning. This is their second strong draft in a row.
Donald Kaufman
General Manager

Post#6 » by Donald Kaufman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:18 am

mikeblack wrote:
Turnover King wrote:

Is it looking more like McDyess than Wallace? Could either be had for the MLE? I was very happy with the draft. I really like Blair and McClinton. Haven't seen much of De Colo.

Not sure what the players and/or Spurs FO is thinking, more a personal preference to have Dice over Sheed. I question Sheed's will to win - whereas I think McDyess has the hunger and would fit in better in SA.

I think Dice could be picked up at the MLE but I remember hearing rumblings about Sheed seeking $10M or thereabouts this season? Not sure on that one though.
Donald Kaufman
General Manager

Post#7 » by Donald Kaufman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 am

the southern dandy wrote:My faith in the front office is slowly returning. This is their second strong draft in a row.

+1.

I was getting sick of them drafting Euros that were never going to come over.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#8 » by Esohny » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:49 am

Your team always disgusts me. :wink:

Honestly, with Jefferson and Blair added and your big 3 back healthy, you should be pushing really deep in the playoffs again. Nice stash guys in the 2nd round as usual.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#9 » by BRIGGS » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:55 pm

Ive been a basketball fan a long time--tell me how do people see Dejuan Blair as Malik Rose PF's? Because they are undersized and African Americans? From my angle Dejuan Blair is avery talented player who shouldve been a lottey pick and will be making people eat their words. Mlik was a greta second round pick but he is not Blair. If someone said Landry Rose--OK somewhat

Blair is a special athlete--I don't know how or why he went 37. If JVG was the coach of the Knick--if we still played a grind style--atleast to me it would have been a NO brainer to pick Blair if Tyreke Evans wasnt on the board.

Again thats just my opinion but I have a very high opinion of Blair. Maybe he doesnt fit the Dantoni style--who knows but I do know he is one helluva ballplayer who just fell in the draft.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
bishopospurs
Freshman

Post#10 » by bishopospurs » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:44 am

Thank you Briggs, I totally agree. I think comparing Blair to Malik Rose is selling his potential way short. I am hoping he plays more like Charles Barkley.
The House David Robinson Built... Go Spurs Go!
Donald Kaufman
General Manager

Post#11 » by Donald Kaufman » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:03 am

Larry Johnson ver. 2.0 perhaps?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 6:41 am

I really don't think so.
Marc
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Marc » Mon Jul 6, 2009 6:18 am

Turnover King wrote:
the southern dandy wrote:My faith in the front office is slowly returning. This is their second strong draft in a row.

+1.

I was getting sick of them drafting Euros that were never going to come over.

In 2007, Marcus Williams' pick was a disaster. I was hoping for them to draft Marc Gasol. :(

Return to San Antonio Spurs