Calderon

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

OzThunder
Rookie
And1: 393

Calderon 

Post#1 » by OzThunder » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:27 am

I'm don't know all that much about how the cap works and free agency etc, but would we have a chance at snagging calderon in the off season. I really see him as a stud and the perfect change up to be running the point for us. Nearly gets a double double, leads the league in Ass/ TO ratio and is definately the best distributor of the ball around.
With him we could then go and snag another scorer in the draft like gordon, beasley, mayo.
Having a level headed point guard distributing to two great scorers would be great. I think even throwing him into this current team would make us more competitive.

Off topic aswell but i really think with petro showing some great potential with solid D and a sweet 16 footer he should really be seeing 25+ minutes.
Lets stop dragging these 3 prospects along and see what they're made of and make a decision...especially in petros case.
FARMERMAN10
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#2 » by FARMERMAN10 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:49 am

unfortunately, it will be all but impossible for us to sign calderon next offseason
He's Heating Up
Senior
And1: 129

Post#3 » by He's Heating Up » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:03 am

Would absolutely love Calderon on the Supes, but yeh really cant see it happening.
Troy McClure
Banned User
And1: 46

Post#4 » by Troy McClure » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:16 am

Toronto isn't going to let him go anywhere.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#5 » by OzSonic » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:15 am

We'll be paying $53,763,973 next season, so there is not much to play with BUT if we can unload Wally, Watson, Ridnour or Wilcox's contracts I would love to have a run at him and I'd be terribly disapointed if they did not try. I doubt the Raptors will let him slide but it is well worth a shot.

He's the best PG in the East right now IMO.
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,888

Post#6 » by seanbig » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:31 am

yeah the dude is rocking, probably gonna get a sick contract
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#7 » by wiff » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:43 pm

I wanted him this past offseason. Toronto didn't want to give him up.

I think if the Sonics get the number one pick in the draft Seattle might be able to trade for him. But at this point the Sonics are young and Derrick Rose or Jerryd Bayless will be much cheaper.

I have Calderon on my fantasy team. My league starts too many players. Anyway I have him, picked him up in the later rounds he's going nuts right now. He is helping me pick up the slack for Bynum being hurt.
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#8 » by D5150 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:55 pm

i think the sonics can have calderon when they pry him from colangelos cold dead fingers.
Don't act like you're not impressed.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 360

Post#9 » by Det the Threat » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:20 pm

D5150 wrote:i thin the sonics can have calderon when they pry him from colangelos cold dead fingers.

And how should we do this?
We won't have more then the MLE to throw at him(if we won't be able to shed some salaries) and the Raptors won't have a problem matching anything like that.
D5150
Starter

Post#10 » by D5150 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:23 pm

it was a joke det. in other words, the sonics have almost no chance of getting him.
Don't act like you're not impressed.
DerrickRose23
Junior

Post#11 » by DerrickRose23 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:35 pm

would you trade your draft pick for him this year or the pick for calderon and something.. Seeing as he is on pace to be a top 5 point guard in a year or two
Yoshi2kx
Senior
And1: 5

Post#12 » by Yoshi2kx » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:50 pm

DerrickRose23 wrote:would you trade your draft pick for him this year or the pick for calderon and something.. Seeing as he is on pace to be a top 5 point guard in a year or two

Would I trade a top 3 draft pick for a 27 year old Point Guard? (28 next yr) No.

He's a stud 'n all, maybe if we were contending, but clearly we're not.

A guy like Rose is 9 years younger, and has more potential than him.
DerrickRose23
Junior

Post#13 » by DerrickRose23 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:57 pm

Fair enough
_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,307

Post#14 » by _MidNight_ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:44 am

Yoshi2kx wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Would I trade a top 3 draft pick for a 27 year old Point Guard? (28 next yr) No.

He's a stud 'n all, maybe if we were contending, but clearly we're not.

A guy like Rose is 9 years younger, and has more potential than him.

Calderon turned 26 two or three months ago but you do have a good point..
As a Raptor fan i would rather nothing more than to see this guy retire a Raptor, he feel like one of those players that will continue to get batter and better think of how scary that will be...
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#15 » by wiff » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:23 am

This scary!

Troy McClure
Banned User
And1: 46

Post#16 » by Troy McClure » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 am

wtf...
AbdicatedReign
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#17 » by AbdicatedReign » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:59 am

Wiff never disappoints.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,136

Post#18 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:52 pm

We should be careful not to overrate Calderon. I don't know if you guys have seen him play, but they've shown about 4 of his games in the last month here, and while he is good and uncannily smart with the ball, his stats don't give the best indication of his game. He plays very very safe--thus his low to's--never drives into traffic and never forces passes. And he's extremely precise with his passes, which he can make on the run and from large distances. He gets assists by finding open guys that many other point guards in the league couldn't, and he can make the game exciting for his teammates and for fans. He's also a very efficient shooter, takes what the defense gives him (although is often reluctant, looking to pass more than shoot).

But you also have to keep in mind several things:
--first, he plays almost the WHOLE game now. His forty minutes stats are equal to his game stats. Sonic great Earl Watson dishes a comparable amount of assists per 40, as does Jamaal Tinsley.

--second, his assists come in bunches, with gaps in between. He seems to have an on/off switch like most scorers, which is normal, but not necessarily something you want in your point guard.

--third, and more importantly, if the shot clock is under 10, Calderon is not good. I would bet that he gets most of his assists within the first 10-2 seconds of the clock, either in transition or at the very start of the half-court set, before the defense has totally clamped down and still lets back door cuts, etc go through. If the defense is sound, Calderon just dribbles around the perimeter--again because he doesn't like to turn the ball over--until he passes to someone who takes a contested 18 footer with 2 seconds left on the clock. He can drive, but in keeping with his very careful, deliberative game, he only does so when there's a clear lane caused by bad defensive rotation (or else in transition). He's not a great pick and roll guy; he has Bosh to pick and roll with, but you rarely see a Nash-Stoudemire easy bucket out of those two. . He can't consistently cross his guy over and drive and kick, he can't get to the free throw line in the half court set, he can't post up his defender to get a 12 foot turn around, and he can't pull up off hard dribble for an 18-footer. Teams might not need this in their pg, but remember that Calderon's low TO numbers come from this reluctance to drive and inability to make something out of nothing, not because he magically coasts through crowded lanes without ever losing the ball. In short, he cannot create something out of nothing--he capitalizes on mistakes and seizes any lane you give him, but if you don't give him anything, he can't be too effective.

--4th, he's not too tall and doesn't move his feet that quickly. He's not tiny, but he plays defense smaller than his size. He's definitely not a defensive asset, but i haven't seen enough of him to say that he's a liability. He doesn't produce many turnovers or pressure the ball very well, and he couldn't stay in front of Chauncey or Rajon Rondo, to use two recent examples I saw. He doesn't like to foul, which can be good, but also doesn't do much on help defense. In short, doesn't give much on defense and will not deter good offensive point guards but probably isn't one of the 5 worst defenders out of starting pgs in the league. (After thought: he doesn't play defense as intelligently as he does offense, unlike Steve Nash, who has trouble staying in front of quicker guys but is frequently in good position to force a bad shot or turnover on help defense, and make smart fouls when they're called for.)

I don't want to damper excitement about him, I just thought that Calderon's stats don't communicate his impact that well. He's good, he will help any team, but everything he does effectively shows up in those stats. Unlike Chauncey with his D, his willingness to take tough shots, and his strong veteran presence, there's nothing else to his game that what you see in the stats. He's very solid, he's certainly a 'true' point guard, and he's unbelievable for fantasy basketball, but I don't think he's the next great point guard in the NBA.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball