Jeff Green needs to get it rolling.

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Jeff Green needs to get it rolling. 

Post#1 » by wiff » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:19 am

This isn't a thread to bash Jeff Green.

I like Jeff's game, and I'm glad the Sonics selected him with the 5th pick in the draft.

And no Yi isn't tearing up the league either.

This isn't a thread about what could have been. It's about what "IS".

Jeff has a solid game then the next game he doesn't even seem to be on the floor yet he logged in over 20 minutes somehow.

I know a ton of this has to do with him being a rookie and getting into the groove of the NBA.

Maybe he has hit the Rookie wall? But I'd like to see him find some sort of rythm again.

I know I was really wanting the kid to start. But that was because it was simply painful to see Wilkins start infront of him.

I'm hoping this trade deadline someone gets moved for a starting sg in the league.

For example a guy like Wilcox and pieces should be able to net a pretty damn good SG.

Then have a front line with (if Thomas is still around)

C Thomas (Maybe Petro or Swift we are rebuilding)
PF Nick
SF Durant

Have Green come in off the bench to spell Nick and Durant. Then hopefully some time next season switch Nick to the 6th man which is a great role for the guy and have Green be the starting PF. But right now Green doesn't have much confidence in his jumper and I think it would help out his game/confidence quite a bit going against the other teams reserves.

But more than anything I want to see some consistency out of the guy.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,985

Post#2 » by Dick Tate » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:43 am

Glen Davis was very impressive against the Spurs today. As a rookie he is already a better post defender than Wilcox will ever be. The Celtics are now 16-0 against the West.

Oops, was this the wrong thread for this?
wiff
Head Coach

Post#3 » by wiff » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 am

Dick Tate wrote:Glen Davis was very impressive against the Spurs today. As a rookie he is already a better post defender than Wilcox will ever be. The Celtics are now 16-0 against the West.

Oops, was this the wrong thread for this?

Is 9pts and 8rebs with 3 TO in 33minutes "very impressive"?

But I do think Big Baby is the wild card in the Ray Allen/Jeff Green trade. As well as the one piece everyone seems to forget about.

But now that you mention it Dick, I'd love to have Ray Allen back that way the Sonics could win about 38 to 40 games and just miss the playoffs and once again get a low lottery pick. That way they could have kept that holding pattern of mediocrity up for another decade or so.
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 528

Post#4 » by Silver Man » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:27 am

I liked Jeff Green in college at Georgetown and I have liked him in the small bits I have seen him. It would be nice to see him take a bit of the load off the shoulders of Durant though. As he is averaging 8.6, and 4.5, I would like to see him more at 10-11 points, and 7-8 rebounds.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#5 » by djthesonicsfan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:36 am

I think J Green suffers in comparison to K Durant, who's a total freak. I know J Green's been inconsistent. More so, IMO, he's hesitant to assert himself. He knows he's a rookie. And he's acting like one. K Durant's a rookie, but he knows he's our team's go to guy. From day one. To his credit he's tried to live up to that. Which he's done amazingly well IMO. And to J Green's credit he's doing his best to figure out this league and his team. And he's done a good job of that. In the end, I still believe/know J Green's upside is huge. I'm confident he'll get there. I think the right thing to do is continue to start him every night with an expectation of 30 minutes & adjust downward based on play, if required. The Sonics will reap the dividends next season. I honestly believe they will be a 40 win team next year. And in the playoffs the next. Same trajectory as the Blazers. J Green will be a big part of that.
KA_G4040
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by KA_G4040 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:02 pm

I think Green is better as a face up PF than a SF. Ever since he has become the starting SF his rebounding has dropped (3.8rpg as a starter, 4.5 for the season) along with his overall play. He is better when he can use his speed to blow past PF's. I love what I see from him but PJ has to let him play through the growing pains, I hate seeing PJ play him 24 minutes a game.
Screw Clay Bennett. Support SOS.
Hiphophead101
Senior
And1: 68

Post#7 » by Hiphophead101 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:23 am

But he isnt tall enough to guard Dirk or Pau, nor big enough to guard Boozer. Im starting to think we drafted a tweener.
Troy McClure
Banned User
And1: 46

Post#8 » by Troy McClure » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:12 am

He'll be alright. When I watch him dribble up and down the court, a feeling of zen washes over my body and assures me that Green will turn it around. I'll chalk up any misteps this season as hitting that "RookieWall"
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#9 » by yearsago » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:56 pm

Jeff Will turn out to be one of those 'glue' guys, 6th man type guys.

Not saying that is a bad thing, but when drafting at #5, You expect a consistant starter, I would expect.
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
wiff
Head Coach

Post#10 » by wiff » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:05 pm

I think eventually (like two years) Durant will be covering the Dirks and Green will be covering the Boozers.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#11 » by Downtown » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:19 pm

I think Jeff Green is going to have to work hard on developing a better outside shot if he is to have any success in this league. Antawn Jamison came into the league as a tweener and seperated himself by being strong at small forward and going to the hoop, yet he could take a longer shot and use his athleticism when playing against bigger players at power forward.

David West can play both forward positions even though the Hornets have him settled at power forward. He's another good player who uses his quickness and shooting ability to offset his deficiencies against the brute force power forwards.

I watched the game the other night when the Warriors played the Wizards. Al Harrington has been a tweener that hasn't found a settled position for years. He stepped out and hit some three point shots that were critical in the Warriors comeback.

Before falling behind the likes of Stoudemire and Marion, Boris Diaw earned a big contract by being able to do a multiple of things on both ends of the floor to help the Suns.

The key area for these players success is versatility. If Jeff Green wants to get to these players level he needs to be diverse and well rounded. It begins with shooting, and aggresiveness on both ends of the floor. I think he's got one attribute already.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball