Thanks for the memories and a wild ride.

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Thanks for the memories and a wild ride. 

Post#1 » by seanbig » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 am

Just wanted to say for starters I am a raptors fan from Vancouver, and have been there for the last 5-6 years, so I never got to watch nba games in vancouver cuz they were stolen before I got here. I never really cared about the sonics since the days of payton and kemp and to be honest, couldn't give a rats ass about rashard lewis or even ray allen.

The only games I went to were the ones against the raptors, and I sure was not going to cheer against Canada's only team.

But sometimes, you dont' realize what you have till something is gone. There were rumors that the sonics may be gone, so I started to catch some games.

Went to the home game against kidd and the nets with FSN zone ticket with the family. Got a nice lower bowl tix for 35 with a shirt. Unfortunately, family and kid got bored, so left during the middle of the 3rd.

Went alone for the bucks game to catch YI Jian LIAN (he sucked), but was able to catch kevin durant for an autograph after the game. And then the long drive home (2hr + border check).

Drove down to see the raps play, got my raptor jersey signed, then bought my first sonics jersey. Still I was telling myself that I was a KD fan, as he signed my jersey after the game and NOT a sonics fan.

Then bought another KD jersey, and another one and so on and so forth.

Started scheduling my days around the sonics games(but I am not a fan) and bought more and more and more sonics paraphilia than I have raptors stuff. Even got to games 2-3 hours early to meet the players as they drove in, along the with usual throng of autograph seekers, and waited out late after the game in the freezing cold.

I learnt to put on the toque and scarf and gloves that I have at home in Vancouver, but never wear as I found out how cold KEY Arena is outside after games in winter...seems colder than Vancouver, but then again, I don't wait in the rain at night to say goodbye to nba players.

It was a weird/sureal ride....even though I was not a season ticketholder, I went to almost 20 games, bought like 6 KD jersey, 5 pair of shoes and basketballs and even got to go to the seasonticketholder event.

And one game, I suddenly found myself cheering for the sonics....something I could not have EVER imagined doing 8 months earlier. I still remember that game against the Nuggets when I thought, game over and KD proved me wrong again and....once again. I still remember the crazy expression people would give me when I told them that, yeah I drove done from Canada.

Well, even if they never come back, Bennett and co. can't take away the amazing memories of games I had, stuff I had signed, the number of questions from customs officials as to why I was in Seattle. I will miss getting gas from 10 bucks cheaper, buying mac and cheese from pike market, clam chowder at northgate mall, and of course the tall glass bottle of frappacino so I don't fall asleep driving back to Vancouver on the I-5.

Don't worry, I won't cheer for the sonics or whatever they are called in OKC, but it has been quite the ride....thanks all
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
Kane2111
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Thanks for the memories and a wild ride. 

Post#2 » by Kane2111 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:35 pm

wow man you drove from Vancouver for 20 games? That's actually really impressive. Didn't you hit some major traffic getting into Seattle? Really cool man. That's dedication. I only went to three games last year. Opening night against the Suns, a random game against Utah and the game against Boston. The first game was great, because Durant was amazing right from the start. And the game against Boston was wild, because the Sonics stayed competitive for so long. I think most people expected the Celtics to destroy them, but the young guys showed a lot of heart.

But wow! 20 games from Vancouver? Jeeze. I probably should have seen more games last year, because scalpers were basically just giving away tickets for free outside. Even on opening night against a pretty darn popular Suns team, I was able to just drive down to the arena and buy some tickets for 50% off from some random scalper. I was pretty surprised by that. I figured if any game was going to be sold out it would have been opening night/durant's debut/steve nash and the Suns.
ryantony
Sophomore

Post#3 » by ryantony » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Great post, great story.

Thanks for sharing it with us
"If you're going to post on the forum, clean it up, there isn't going to be any Oklahoma trolling on the forum."
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#4 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks for sharing Sean. Best of luck to you and the Raptors!
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Post#5 » by seanbig » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:48 am

yeah to be honest, some games I was just waiting to get an autograph...cuz some games were awful...but it wouldn't make sense to drive 400miles, waste a tank of gas and not watch the game.

Also got to watch one game courtside, and another one, but just for the 2nd half. Doubt I will ever see a courtside game ever again...unless u can get one for 200bucks in portland...
MattTorgenrud
Banned User

Post#6 » by MattTorgenrud » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:59 pm

seanbig wrote:yeah to be honest, some games I was just waiting to get an autograph...cuz some games were awful...but it wouldn't make sense to drive 400miles, waste a tank of gas and not watch the game.

Also got to watch one game courtside, and another one, but just for the 2nd half. Doubt I will ever see a courtside game ever again...unless u can get one for 200bucks in portland...

the only thing confusing about your story was that I wasn't sure when you lived in Toronto and when you lived in Vancouver. You're a raptor fan? Do you live in Vancouver, but are just a Raptor fan, because it's a Canadian team? I conf00sed

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball