Seattle Arena group offers to privately finance arena

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderators: Sweezo, bennith13

wco81
Analyst
And1: 346

Re: Seattle Arena group offers to privately finance arena 

Post#41 » by wco81 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Before they got that TV deal, at least one of the teams was struggling and the league had to take it over for a season or two.

So I'm not sure they can sustain more teams. Sacramento has a new stadium so they may have a grace period for another season or two but they better show progress or they could again be on the brink of being moved again.

Then when you have losses like Hayward leaving Salt Lake, you have to question if small market teams can attract big free agents to remain competitive.

It's not even clear for instance that Westbrook will extend with OKC and if he doesn't, there's no chance of PG13 remaining there.

The other part is that with the new CBA and 15-man rosters, with more money spent on the G league and so on, the league may be cautious about expansion.

Especially since the chances are that after this current TV deal runs out, they may not get this lucrative a deal again.
Cactus Jack
RealGM
And1: 4,754

Post#42 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:11 pm

FNQ wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Is expansion out of the question for now?

You tell me!? Rumors are the league has no intention of expanding any time soon. Silver has shot down the idea whenever asked. It's beyond frustrating! :banghead:

I think the issue is a) d-bag mayor, who for whatever reason is adamantly against it and b) no 2nd location that's ready to roll. I've been very vocal that Kentucky, specifically Louisville, is ready for a pro team.

You mean the mayor of Seattle? He's not against it. He's just been pushing his own arena agenda (Key Arena over the other groups). It's all but a formality now. Fans are split. But, it would appear that the NHL will come at some point.

The other 30 owners don't want to share the revenue with potential expansion teams. That's why the league is against it.
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#43 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:20 pm

wco81 wrote:Before they got that TV deal, at least one of the teams was struggling and the league had to take it over for a season or two.

So I'm not sure they can sustain more teams. Sacramento has a new stadium so they may have a grace period for another season or two but they better show progress or they could again be on the brink of being moved again.

Then when you have losses like Hayward leaving Salt Lake, you have to question if small market teams can attract big free agents to remain competitive.

It's not even clear for instance that Westbrook will extend with OKC and if he doesn't, there's no chance of PG13 remaining there.

The other part is that with the new CBA and 15-man rosters, with more money spent on the G league and so on, the league may be cautious about expansion.

Especially since the chances are that after this current TV deal runs out, they may not get this lucrative a deal again.

It just sucks.

I understand the argument against adding more teams, but It's just so frustrating for fans here. We've been **** on for far too long. Caught in the middle.

Like a lot of fans, I want a team back in the worst way. But, it just doesn't seem possible in the near term. :(
Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#44 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter
DoItALL9
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#45 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

There are polls saying many people want Quebec to get a hockey before Seattle

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#46 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:05 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:There are polls saying many people want Quebec to get a hockey before Seattle

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

Let me guess, they're mostly Canadian? :wink:
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#48 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 pm

And then this happens....

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
wco81
Analyst

Post#49 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Hmm, would they actually break ground on a $660 million stadium without guarantees of a new franchise?
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#50 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 pm

wco81 wrote:Hmm, would they actually break ground on a $660 million stadium without guarantees of a new franchise?

Yes. According to reports, they expect to break ground sometime next fall & complete the project by 2020.

The plan is to acquire an NHL team (Expansion). That team then could begin play as soon as 2020/21.

Oak View Group believes it can have the building ready by October 2020 if environmental approvals are obtained and demolition can start in October 2018.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20681519/arena-group-proposing-rapid-construction-line-seattle
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#52 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Is expansion or relocation inevitable?

At least one owner raised the idea of expansion in a recent Board of Governors session, citing the massive expansion fee the 30 current teams would split, sources say. The concept of an expansion fee of potentially more than $1 billion can be tempting because it is not subject to splitting 50/50 with the players.

Adam Silver, the league's commissioner, has repeatedly said the league has no short-term plans to expand, though he labeled expansion at some point "inevitable" during a recent interview in The Players Tribune.

Meanwhile, some profitable teams have bristled at the notion they should share more, and even suggested that teams that lose money every season -- and depend on revenue-sharing to stay afloat -- should consider relocating to stronger markets, sources say.

The concept of changing the placement of teams could become more of a focal point as Seattle nears its decision on a plan to renovate KeyArena or clear the way for a new building to be constructed in the city's SoDo district. A decision could come by the end of the year. If a viable building emerges in Seattle, it could kick-start a deeper expansion/relocation debate within ownership.

Relocation of a different sort is taking place in Detroit. The Pistons lost $63.2 million before collecting revenue sharing last season, the largest loss by a wide margin, despite being one of the NBA's larger markets. (The team received $17.6 million in revenue sharing to help offset the losses.)

Such shortfalls help explain why the Pistons wanted to move out of a building their parent company owned far into the suburbs and relocate to a new arena in downtown Detroit this season, hoping that it helps boost revenue.

And the LA Clippers, in contrast to the Lakers, with whom they share Staples Center, are looking to move locally as well. According to the NBA documents, the Clippers made just $2.1 million in net income last season despite a new media rights deal that paid them $51 million, in part because they make a lot less in arena income (based on tickets and other revenue) than the Lakers.

That was the impetus for owner Steve Ballmer's recent deal with the City of Inglewood to develop a new arena plan if he can't get more favorable lease terms at Staples (the current pact is up in 2024).

Local movement aside, will relocating teams from small markets to larger markets like Seattle clear up some of the NBA's revenue-sharing issues? Will expansion be part of the solution? For now, both ideas appear to be only hypothetical.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20747413/a-confidential-report-shows-nearly-half-nba-lost-money-last-season-now-what

I wonder who that owner/owners were? Was it brought up by Ballmer? Paul Allen possibly? :wink:
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#53 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Just came across this!

Read on Twitter
wco81
Analyst

Post#54 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 pm

That one time expansion fee is a tempting windfall but must be weighed against lower revenue sharing payments each year.

I don't know if the lucrative TV money has kicked in. If the $17.6 million figure the Pistons got include that new TV money, then why did teams spend lavishly on free agents or even giving $25 million a year deal to Players like Wiggins on just his second contract?

There has to be more money than that.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 288

Post#55 » by Det the Threat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Just came across this!

Read on Twitter

Like I've said in that other thread.
He's talked about that some time ago and I doubt he's a reliable source.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball