OT: NHL Seattle Thread

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderators: Sweezo, bennith13

Cactus Jack
RealGM
And1: 6,879

OT: NHL Seattle Thread 

Post#1 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:44 pm

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Re: OT: NHL to Seattle Thread 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#3 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:57 pm

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 316

Post#4 » by Det the Threat » Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:33 pm

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/12/7/16748708/nhl-seattle-expansion
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:40 pm

Det the Threat wrote:https://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/12/7/16748708/nhl-seattle-expansion
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:14 am

Read on Twitter
DoItALL9
Starter
And1: 459

Post#7 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:08 pm

Team Color choice will be interesting

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
DoItALL9
Starter

Post#8 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:15 pm

Pilots and Breakers are some other older Seattle team names I came across from formers

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#9 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Possible NHL Team names!

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2018/1/19/16910000/ovg-nhl-name-domain-registration

Seattle Cougars
Seattle Eagles
Seattle Emeralds
Seattle Evergreens
Seattle Firebirds
Seattle Kraken
Seattle Rainiers
Seattle Renegades
Seattle Sea Lions
Seattle Seals
Seattle Sockeyes
Seattle Totems
Seattle Whales
Robot Rock
Pro Prospect
And1: 367

Post#10 » by Robot Rock » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 am

Call it a hunch but I think you guys will get the Charlotte Hornets in a few years.
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:00 am

Robot Rock wrote:Call it a hunch but I think you guys will get the Charlotte Hornets in a few years.

Relocation isn't a realistic option. The league has stopped teams like the Kings & Bucks from moving. Frankly, most Seattle fans don't want to steal another cities team. It's rough. It's really Expansion or nothing.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Robot Rock wrote:Call it a hunch but I think you guys will get the Charlotte Hornets in a few years.

The Hornets have MJ as their owner and a pretty new arena.
So there's just no way they're moving unless something goes really wrong.

Cactus Jack wrote:Relocation isn't a realistic option. The league has stopped teams like the Kings & Bucks from moving. Frankly, most Seattle fans don't want to steal another cities team. It's rough. It's really Expansion or nothing.

You have to stop acting like this is set in stone just because some owners are saying it publicly.
The league still has troubled franchises and will have to work on that.
And if one of those doesn't cut it anymore(and becomes a consistant revenue share taker with no way up) they'll look at their options which includes moving such a team.

At the end of the day, we'd rather have an expansion team over a relocated one, but we've got no say in those things as the league and it's owners will decide how and when we'll be allowed back into that club of billionaires.
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#13 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Det the Threat wrote:

Cactus Jack wrote:Relocation isn't a realistic option. The league has stopped teams like the Kings & Bucks from moving. Frankly, most Seattle fans don't want to steal another cities team. It's rough. It's really Expansion or nothing.

You have to stop acting like this is set in stone just because some owners are saying it publicly.
And if one of those doesn't cut it anymore(and becomes a consistant revenue share taker with no way up) they'll look at their options which includes moving such a team.

At the end of the day, we'd rather have an expansion team over a relocated one, but we've got no say in those things as the league and it's owners will decide how and when we'll be allowed back into that club of billionaires.

Which team would move? Memphis has a buy back ownership option. Aint happening. The league would block any move out of New Orleans. Theyve gone out of their way since Katrina. Not a chance!
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Which team would move? Memphis has a buy back ownership option. Aint happening. The league would block any move out of New Orleans. Theyve gone out of their way since Katrina. Not a chance!

That buyback option is for the remaining minority owners who might or might not have the money to buy the team.
Katrina has been a very long time ago and no one knows what will happen there if they can't get it done with AD on that team.

And then there could be others as well that we don't even know of as of right now.

The Sonics had been here vor 41 years and the team being for sale wasn't known too long before it was sold.

I'm not saying it's they way it's going to happen(I'd take an expansion over a relocated team), but I don't think anyone can or should say that there's no chance of another relocation.
Those things are only going to be known once the league and it's owners want it to be out in the media and not before that.

BTW: If you take those quotes of Ballmer at face value you should be alright with waiting another decade or two before a return of the Sonics.
And quite frankly, there's no way in hell I'd be around for that, like probably most other Sonics fans as well.
We've already lost a generation of fans thanks to that fu** up by the league and our elected officials.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Det the Threat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Mayor Durkan has met with Bettman and the NHL.

Read on Twitter

The Ticket Drive will be held during the first half of February.
DoItALL9
Starter

Re: RE: Re: OT: NHL to Seattle Thread 

Post#16 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:

Which team would move? Memphis has a buy back ownership option. Aint happening. The league would block any move out of New Orleans. Theyve gone out of their way since Katrina. Not a chance!

That was David Stern's doing. If they continuously lose money changes will be made. However, Mexico City maybe the new biggest threat to jump Seattle.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
DoItALL9
Starter

Post#17 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Which team would move? Memphis has a buy back ownership option. Aint happening. The league would block any move out of New Orleans. Theyve gone out of their way since Katrina. Not a chance!

That buyback option is for the remaining minority owners who might or might not have the money to buy the team.
Katrina has been a very long time ago and no one knows what will happen there if they can't get it done with AD on that team.

And then there could be others as well that we don't even know of as of right now.

The Sonics had been here vor 41 years and the team being for sale wasn't known too long before it was sold.

I'm not saying it's they way it's going to happen(I'd take an expansion over a relocated team), but I don't think anyone can or should say that there's no chance of another relocation.
Those things are only going to be known once the league and it's owners want it to be out in the media and not before that.

BTW: If you take those quotes of Ballmer at face value you should be alright with waiting another decade or two before a return of the Sonics.
And quite frankly, there's no way in hell I'd be around for that, like probably most other Sonics fans as well.
We've already lost a generation of fans thanks to that fu** up by the league and our elected officials.
10 or 20 more years would be disastrous. The NHL arriving/ thriving in Seattle first doesn't seem to help the SuperSonics comeback plan either imo. I know others see it differently. However, David Stern slyly hinted to that opinion recently also.

“The big two at some point were Seattle and Las Vegas, but I don’t think there will be an NBA team in Las Vegas now because there’s NHL and WNBA and NFL. But Seattle is a good town. I think the NHL is going to go in there too. And that’s great. With Tim Leiweke planning to spend $600 million on Key Arena, that’s good for Seattle. But usually the first team in does very well.” - from Stern
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Det the Threat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:That was David Stern's doing. If they continuously lose money changes will be made. However, Mexico City maybe the new biggest threat to jump Seattle.

Mexico City is not a threat to Seattle.
The only thing they are is that other team the league would add, together with Seattle, if they do expand.

DoItALL9 wrote:10 or 20 more years would be disastrous. The NHL arriving/ thriving in Seattle first doesn't seem to help the SuperSonics comeback plan either imo. I know others see it differently. However, David Stern slyly hinted to that opinion recently also.

“The big two at some point were Seattle and Las Vegas, but I don’t think there will be an NBA team in Las Vegas now because there’s NHL and WNBA and NFL. But Seattle is a good town. I think the NHL is going to go in there too. And that’s great. With Tim Leiweke planning to spend $600 million on Key Arena, that’s good for Seattle. But usually the first team in does very well.” - from Stern

Like I've said, I'm not going to be around if they decide to make something happen in 10 - 20 years. I've got other things to do with my life and at some point you've got to move on.

The NHL actually doesn't have much to do with the Sonics coming back or not.
The only thing playing a part in it is a new arena and that seems to be happening now.

You also can't compare Vegas to Seattle, given the growth/wealth of Seattle and the history/still existing fanbase of an NBA team in this city.
DoItALL9
Starter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OT: NHL to Seattle Thread 

Post#19 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:That was David Stern's doing. If they continuously lose money changes will be made. However, Mexico City maybe the new biggest threat to jump Seattle.

Mexico City is not a threat to Seattle.
The only thing they are is that other team the league would add, together with Seattle, if they do expand.

DoItALL9 wrote:10 or 20 more years would be disastrous. The NHL arriving/ thriving in Seattle first doesn't seem to help the SuperSonics comeback plan either imo. I know others see it differently. However, David Stern slyly hinted to that opinion recently also.

Like I've said, I'm not going to be around if they decide to make something happen in 10 - 20 years. I've got other things to do with my life and at some point you've got to move on.

The NHL actually doesn't have much to do with the Sonics coming back or not.
The only thing playing a part in it is a new arena and that seems to be happening now.

You also can't compare Vegas to Seattle, given the growth/wealth of Seattle and the history/still existing fanbase of an NBA team in this city.
If the NBA owners decided the Pelicans are losing money tremendously and needed to be moved in the next year (unlikely) how would Seattle maintain its first spot over other places that are ready? (Louisville or St.Louis?) Temporary relocation like okc was before?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OT: NHL to Seattle Thread 

Post#20 » by Det the Threat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:If the NBA owners decided the Pelicans are losing money tremendously and needed to be moved in the next year (unlikely) how would Seattle maintain its first spot over other places that are ready? (Louisville or St.Louis?) Temporary relocation like okc was before?

The NBA knows the timeline of Seattle and certainly does some "guiding" behind the scenes with Leiweke(who worked for franchises and helped built arenas etc.) in the picture.
If they wanted to move the Pelicans, for example, they'd certainly take that into consideration, rather than jumping the gun and sending a franchise to St. Louis or Louisville.
I mean, it's also just two more seasons(after the current one) before the new arena would be available to host teams.

So they could either just keep the team there(if they knew about that) before making a sale official or they could look if something in the area(like the Tacoma Dome) could be a temporary home for the team.

BTW: I don't think the Pelicans, for example, are available right now.
But if they were, the league certainly would find a way to keep it under wraps until they fell it's right for the public to know. And we'd be at the top of that list, given our history and every comment from their officials during the last couple of months.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball