Sonics history

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderators: Sweezo, bennith13

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 24,259

Sonics history 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:46 pm

NBC featured some classic introductions for the Sonics/Suns games in the 1993 Western Conference Finals, so I thought that I would post them on the twenty-fifth anniversary of each relevant game. (TNT broadcast the series' first three contests.)

Here is the introduction for Game Four, held twenty-five years ago yesterday on May 30, 1993.

Cactus Jack
RealGM
And1: 6,879

Re: Sonics history 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:38 am

bwgood77 wrote:NBC featured some classic introductions for the Sonics/Suns games in the 1993 Western Conference Finals, so I thought that I would post them on the twenty-fifth anniversary of each relevant game. (TNT broadcast the series' first three contests.)

Here is the introduction for Game Four, held twenty-five years ago yesterday on May 30, 1993.

I don't remember this series all that much if I'm being honest. I didn't really get into basketball until the following year when we choked against Denver in the 1st Round. My earliest basketball memory. I also vividly remember watching the Finals that year (Rockets vs. Knicks) and O.J.'s White Bronco lol. What a time to become a fan, right? :wink: :(
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:43 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:NBC featured some classic introductions for the Sonics/Suns games in the 1993 Western Conference Finals, so I thought that I would post them on the twenty-fifth anniversary of each relevant game. (TNT broadcast the series' first three contests.)

I don't remember this series all that much if I'm being honest. I didn't really get into basketball until the following year when we choked against Denver in the 1st Round. What a time to become a fan, right? :wink: :(

I remember both series well. I thought the Suns would have trouble with two teams in the West, mostly Houston followed by Seattle. So they were lucky Houston met Seattle in the semifinals and were very lucky to beat Seattle in the conference finals. Some thought the refs helped them.

Then the Suns blew two games leads against the Rockets in the semifinals the next two years.

I was shocked Denver came back to beat the Sonics after being down 2-0 in a five game series. In the next round they nearly came back and beat Utah in a 7 game series after being down 3-0, iirc...I think they had tied it up at 3-3.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:43 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

I don't remember this series all that much if I'm being honest. I didn't really get into basketball until the following year when we choked against Denver in the 1st Round. What a time to become a fan, right? :wink: :(

I remember both series well. I thought the Suns would have trouble with two teams in the West, mostly Houston followed by Seattle. So they were lucky Houston met Seattle in the semifinals and were very lucky to beat Seattle in the conference finals. Some thought the refs helped them.

Then the Suns blew two games leads against the Rockets in the semifinals the next two years.

I was shocked Denver came back to beat the Sonics after being down 2-0 in a five game series. In the next round they nearly came back and beat Utah in a 7 game series after being down 3-0, iirc...I think they had tied it up at 3-3.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 2, 2018 4:42 am

Here is the NBC introduction to Game Five of the 1993 Western Conference Finals, Seattle at Phoenix, twenty-five years ago this evening on June 1, 1993:

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jun 2, 2018 9:41 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Here is the NBC introduction to Game Five of the 1993 Western Conference Finals, Seattle at Phoenix, twenty-five years ago this evening on June 1, 1993:

Man, the Finals must have started much later that year. I noticed your Double Post.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 4,730

Post#7 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:52 pm

BRING BACK THE SONICS
Timberwolves: 69
C: Whiteside/Oquinn/J. Allen/Zizic
PF: Ibaka/T.Young/Anunoby/TJ Leaf
SF: Porter Jr/Anunoby/T.Young
SG: Barton/Young/Anunoby/Afflalo
PG: Schroder/Barrea/Exum
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 3,933

Post#8 » by The Penguin » Thu Jul 5, 2018 8:25 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

I don't remember this series all that much if I'm being honest. I didn't really get into basketball until the following year when we choked against Denver in the 1st Round. My earliest basketball memory. I also vividly remember watching the Finals that year (Rockets vs. Knicks) and O.J.'s White Bronco lol. What a time to become a fan, right? :wink: :(

I'm on almost the exact same timeframe as you in regards to becoming a fan. I think the first game I actually watched was Jordan's "Shrug" game against Portland, I watched the Bulls-Suns Finals, but the first playoffs I really remember watching all the way through was the year with Knicks-Rockets. I HATED the Knicks, grew up in a small town in the midwest, had family that lived in Indy and remember cheering for the Pacers against the Knicks and Magic. Fell in love with Kemp & Payton, got my heart broken in '96 as a 12 year old. Been hooked on the league ever since.
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#9 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 5, 2018 9:26 pm

The Penguin wrote:Fell in love with Kemp & Payton, got my heart broken in '96 as a 12 year old. Been hooked on the league ever since.

I was 9. So we're not that far off in age.

The Sonics were my first love. You couldn't get tickets back then. I think the first game I ever attended was actually Post-Lockout ('99?) :lol:. From like 2001-2005, when I was still in High School, I went to a **** ton of games in those days.
DoItALL9
Starter
And1: 459

Post#10 » by DoItALL9 » Yesterday 11:12 pm

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball