Sources: NBA Expansion Looming With Two New Franchises

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.
Cactus Jack
RealGM
And1: 8,138

Re: Sources: NBA Expansion Looming With Two New Franchises 

Post#81 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 6, 2019 3:02 am

DoItALL9 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=926214&download=yes

Link doesn't work.

Google:

NBA Expansion and Relocation: A Viability Study of Various Cities

It was published back in 2004? Before the Sonics relocation even. It's pretty outdated & I'm not sure there is much relevance to it quite honestly. Seattle remains the top contender for relocation/Expansion.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Roddy wrote:- The NBA without Seattle is not the real NBA
DoItALL9
Analyst
And1: 741

Post#82 » by DoItALL9 » Mon May 6, 2019 3:06 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Link doesn't work.

Google:

It was published back in 2004? Before the Sonics relocation even. It's pretty outdated & I'm not sure there is much relevance to it quite honestly. Seattle remains the top contender for relocation/Expansion.
Lemme know what you think after reading it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#83 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 6, 2019 3:11 am

DoItALL9 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
Google:

I skimmed it. Didn't really take a whole lot out of it honestly. Kind of a general overview of past team relocation's & potential cities up for relocation. But, like I mentioned it was published back in 2004. So, I don't really see how it's all that relevant to now (Seattle)...???

What did you take from it!???

DoItALL9
Analyst

Post#84 » by DoItALL9 » Mon May 6, 2019 3:53 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Link doesn't work.

Google:

Cactus Jack wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:It was published back in 2004? Before the Sonics relocation even. It's pretty outdated & I'm not sure there is much relevance to it quite honestly. Seattle remains the top contender for relocation/Expansion.

I skimmed it. Didn't really take a whole lot out of it honestly. Kind of a general overview of past team relocation's & potential cities up for relocation. But, like I mentioned it was published back in 2004. So, I don't really see how it's all that relevant to now (Seattle)...???

What did you take from it!???
I don't debate that Seattle is still at the top of the list as the next city to get an NBA team thru relocation or expansion.

I believe in reference to deciding a team's potential success the article pretty accurately reflects many of the variables and decision making points that go into the moves, not only back then but also now.

Memphis' placement shows that it wasn't necessarily surprising that the Vancouver Grizzlies ended up there.

Looking at the model the original Charlotte Hornets should've likely moved to Louisville but stories have since been shared that Rick Pitino and others at the college allegedly prevented that from happening.

I would like to see an updated version with Mexico City added on the list with current population stats, etc.

Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 669

Post#85 » by Dannyboy36 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 pm

I think the last thing the nba needs is more teams. I’d love to see the Super Sonics back but can they take away the hawks, Clippers, Grizzlies, Nets, Magic, New Orleans , okc etc?
I know it’s not realistic but older fans like myself always say how great the 80’s were. I’m always bringing up expansion. There’s 7 more freaking teams. It used to be 16 teams made the playoffs and if you missed out the worst lottery pick you got was #7. Imagine the nba with 23 teams and a redraft and how stacked with talent it would be.
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#86 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:26 am

Dannyboy36 wrote:I think the last thing the nba needs is more teams. I’d love to see the Super Sonics back but can they take away the hawks, Clippers, Grizzlies, Nets, Magic, New Orleans , okc etc?
I know it’s not realistic but older fans like myself always say how great the 80’s were. I’m always bringing up expansion. There’s 7 more freaking teams. It used to be 16 teams made the playoffs and if you missed out the worst lottery pick you got was #7. Imagine the nba with 23 teams and a redraft and how stacked with talent it would be.

I understand & for the most part agree with the take on expansion. There are likely a good 6-8 teams already that the NBA could get rid of & it would improve the overall competition (top/bottom). But as a Seattle fan, it absolutely sucks to be left out in the cold. Sadly, under the watch of David Stern, the league made the mistake of over-expansion (80's & 90's). A 24/25 team league should have been the stopping point.

Najee12
Senior
And1: 427

NBA expansion 

Post#87 » by Najee12 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:I think the last thing the nba needs is more teams. I’d love to see the Super Sonics back but can they take away the hawks, Clippers, Grizzlies, Nets, Magic, New Orleans , okc etc?

I understand & for the most part agree with the take on expansion. There are likely a good 6-8 teams already that the NBA could get rid of & it would improve the overall competition (top/bottom). But as a Seattle fan, it absolutely sucks to be left out in the cold. Sadly, under the watch of David Stern, the league made the mistake of over-expansion (80's & 90's). A 24/25 team league should have been the stopping point.

The NBA has much more media exposure and revenue now than in the 1980s, as seen with the large TV contracts. There is also much more prospective talent coming from the international leagues and other countries in general compared to the 1980s and 1990s. The NBA’s new collective bargaining agreement explicitly states that expansion fees are not included in basketball-related income, which means pure revenue straight into franchise coffers for the 30 NBA owners.

The NBA easily can expand and needs to look at adding teams on the western side of North America. There are only 11 teams from Texas to California and those two states have seven of the NBA franchises. Seattle and Las Vegas are locks for having new franchises, but I also would like the NBA to reconsider Vancouver as a relocation destination after adding two new franchises. The Grizzlies were in the city only six seasons and the economy is much stronger than it was in the 1990s (the 1999 lockout also damaged the team's attendance). Another relocation consideration is Kansas City, Mo., which has a state-of-the-art facility.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 555

Post#88 » by DIEHARD_005 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:05 pm

Long time supporter of the SoS movement from Toronto, to this day I am still pretty salty about the NBA leaving Seattle - just the fashion in which it happened. I don't want to open up the wounds that have likely healed all these years later but the blatant moves from Sonics ownership (leaked emails and all) and seeing Schultz try a douchebag move to undo his huge, huge wrong which he should have never made to begin with really rubbed me the wrong way. It also was extremely real to me as the message I ultimately received from the NBA at that time was they would be willing to untie roots built in a community for decades and disregard decades of history (including a ship) and move a team without batting an eye. Being a die hard Raps fan (hence the name), seeing you guys go through that meant that it could happen to any of us - including to Canada's only remaining team. So yes, I've always rooted for you guys to get your team back and continue to be upset about how they were taken away to this day.

All that said, the NBA is nuts not to be thinking of expansion at this point. The amount of kids playing basketball across the globe and the reach of the NBA as well as the revenue numbers being put up can all justify the league expanding by at least two teams - not to mention the expansion fees that the owners would gladly divvy up. Although I have to say that I would want to see Vancouver get its fair shot ahead of anyone else (Canadian bias, sorry), you guys more than deserve your team back as well.

Not much more I can offer you guys except the support in knowing that you have supporters all over who know you guys were wronged over a decade ago, and like you, we have not forgotten either!

Cheers to a Sonics return!
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#89 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:43 pm

DIEHARD_005 wrote: It also was extremely real to me as the message I ultimately received from the NBA at that time was they would be willing to untie roots built in a community for decades and disregard decades of history (including a ship) and move a team without batting an eye. Being a die hard Raps fan (hence the name), seeing you guys go through that meant that it could happen to any of us - including to Canada's only remaining team.

We weren't the first, and we won't be the last.

I appreciate your response & support. Cheers! :beer:

theagent
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#90 » by theagent » Mon Oct 7, 2019 3:43 am

Silver wants to start a league in India......Jamal malik chia walla...india.....

we need teams in Seattle, Vegas, San Diego(Ballmer needs to build his stadium there), Montreal, St. Louis....
DoItALL9
Analyst

Post#91 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:08 pm

I'd add Louisville, Kentucky

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
theagent
General Manager

Post#92 » by theagent » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:05 am

DoItALL9 wrote:I'd add Louisville, Kentucky

Louisville Lions.... Lionhearts....

I still like The Las Vegas Jokers
DoItALL9
Analyst

Post#94 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:28 pm

theagent wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:I'd add Louisville, Kentucky

Louisville Lions.... Lionhearts....

I still like The Las Vegas Jokers
I'd guess they'd try to rekindle the Kentucky Colonels if they got a team in Louisville.

theagent
General Manager

Post#95 » by theagent » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:28 am

DoItALL9 wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissheridan/2019/10/17/is-expansion-the-answer-for-nba-to-replace-lost-china-money/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Silver/owners want that cheap merchandise manufacturing to keep rolling along

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball