Sources: NBA Expansion Looming With Two New Franchises

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.
Cactus Jack
RealGM
And1: 8,439

Re: Sources: NBA Expansion Looming With Two New Franchises 

Post#101 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:09 am

theagent wrote:okay first things first, I never said anything about the knicks moving. The Knicks moving out of NY is a asinine as a hotdog with no mustard. I said Hansen could buy the Knicks from Dolan's crazyass and just revamp the organization like Ballmer did with the Clips. Dolan lowballed KD.....who the f*** does that? With Hansen owning the Knicks IN NY, he would be part of the NBA board of governors. Thus, could use his influence to start a campaign to bring a teams to SEA and Vegas for whomever want to lead that charge. Hansen in NY would be a definite upgrade over Dolan. What shenanigans are you alleging he did in his bid to buy the Kings? He put up a non-refundable 30million and still got screwed. If anything he's a victim.

Hansen an outsider? wtf are you talking about? His proposal was more progressive than that OVG garbage and that key arena renovation looks hideous

Hate to break this to you, but yes....Hansen is indeed an outsider in regards to the league (NBA). He had zero connections within the league prior to the Kings purchase agreement. And no, He has no plans to own a team outside Seattle.

What shenanigans?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/9575561/chris-hansen-gave-100000-group-opposing-new-sacramento-kings-arena

Weeks after his aggressive bid to buy and relocate the Sacramento Kings to Seattle failed, hedge fund manager Chris Hansen bankrolled an effort to undercut a deal the team's new owners made to build an arena in Sacramento.

Hansen, who donated $100,000 on June 21 to a political action committee attempting to halt the $448 million deal to build the Kings a new downtown arena, says he "made a mistake" by giving a Los Angeles law firm $100,000.

The firm of Loeb & Loeb secretly funneled $80,000 to a group gathering signatures to force a public vote on the arena plan, which includes funding of at least $258 million in public money.

"While I'm sure everyone can appreciate how easy it is to get caught up the heat of battle, with the benefit of hindsight, this is clearly a decision I regret," Hansen said Friday in a statement, noting the money came from him and not on behalf of the Seattle ownership group or its partners. "I wish the city of Sacramento and Kings fans the best in their efforts and they have my commitment not to have any involvement in their arena efforts in the future."

I was rooting for the guy. But, Hansen f'd up. He blew it. The NBA doesn't do business with people like that.

Tim Leiweke meanwhile, has strong connections within the league. He was CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (Which owns the Raptors). Bonderman is also a minority owner (Celtics).

Listen, I don't like the Key renovation myself. But we don't really have a choice in the matter. We all need to support Leiweke/Bonderman's group because they're our best & only real shot at making it a reality.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Roddy wrote:- The NBA without Seattle is not the real NBA
DoItALL9
Assistant Coach
And1: 778

Post#102 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:01 pm

theagent wrote:So...let me get this straight. Silver stepped in to fix the Lakers but won't do the same for the Knicks? Chris Hansen.....would you like to build a snowman.....and buy the Knicks? He didn't get a fair shake for his stadium deal and got fleeced by a clay bennett influenced denial to buy the Kings. If I were him and if he's still passionate about pro bball ownership, make an offer to buy the Knicks. Once in ownership use your power within the board of governors to start a campaign to bring bball back to SEA and put a franchise in Vegas...and/or Mexico City.

I think Silver lowkey has something personal against SEA. He was Stern's #2 when all that went down. I wouldn't be surprised if Stern still has influence, we see Clay Bennett does. But to in order to make this more accelerated why not? NY would welcome a change in ownership of the Knicks.

BUT you can give SEA a team without bringing in another. Giving teams to SEA and Vegas would be the new version of "The move west" that the Dodgers and Giants did back in the 50s. you need a even number of teams and what better markets than SEA and Vegas. They have a hockey team and are building that kickass stadium for the Raiders. Pretty soon the Oakland A's will move there...bball not too far away
Do you think Vegas can support 4 major league pro franchises?
(Raiders, Aces {WNBA}, Golden Knights, and an expansion NBA team)
They had none ten years ago. It seems like a stretch. I don't think it's wise. Seattle is the lock.
The second pick should be between Kentucky, Vancouver, and Mexico City.

To compete with an established hockey team is tough. Would the NBA be fine with potentially cannibalizing itself with an NBA team in Vegas that kills it's (presumably) profitable WNBA franchise?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
theagent
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#103 » by theagent » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
theagent wrote:okay first things first, I never said anything about the knicks moving. The Knicks moving out of NY is a asinine as a hotdog with no mustard. I said Hansen could buy the Knicks from Dolan's crazyass and just revamp the organization like Ballmer did with the Clips. Dolan lowballed KD.....who the f*** does that? With Hansen owning the Knicks IN NY, he would be part of the NBA board of governors. Thus, could use his influence to start a campaign to bring a teams to SEA and Vegas for whomever want to lead that charge. Hansen in NY would be a definite upgrade over Dolan. What shenanigans are you alleging he did in his bid to buy the Kings? He put up a non-refundable 30million and still got screwed. If anything he's a victim.

Hansen an outsider? wtf are you talking about? His proposal was more progressive than that OVG garbage and that key arena renovation looks hideous

Hate to break this to you, but yes....Hansen is indeed an outsider in regards to the league (NBA). He had zero connections within the league prior to the Kings purchase agreement. And no, He has no plans to own a team outside Seattle.

What shenanigans?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/9575561/chris-hansen-gave-100000-group-opposing-new-sacramento-kings-arena

Weeks after his aggressive bid to buy and relocate the Sacramento Kings to Seattle failed, hedge fund manager Chris Hansen bankrolled an effort to undercut a deal the team's new owners made to build an arena in Sacramento.

Hansen, who donated $100,000 on June 21 to a political action committee attempting to halt the $448 million deal to build the Kings a new downtown arena, says he "made a mistake" by giving a Los Angeles law firm $100,000.

The firm of Loeb & Loeb secretly funneled $80,000 to a group gathering signatures to force a public vote on the arena plan, which includes funding of at least $258 million in public money.

"While I'm sure everyone can appreciate how easy it is to get caught up the heat of battle, with the benefit of hindsight, this is clearly a decision I regret," Hansen said Friday in a statement, noting the money came from him and not on behalf of the Seattle ownership group or its partners. "I wish the city of Sacramento and Kings fans the best in their efforts and they have my commitment not to have any involvement in their arena efforts in the future."

I was rooting for the guy. But, Hansen f'd up. He blew it. The NBA doesn't do business with people like that.

Tim Leiweke meanwhile, has strong connections within the league. He was CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (Which owns the Raptors). Bonderman is also a minority owner (Celtics).

Listen, I don't like the Key renovation myself. But we don't really have a choice in the matter. We all need to support Leiweke/Bonderman's group because they're our best & only real shot at making it a reality.

you see shenanigans....I see a guy passionate about bringing bball back to Seattle. In reality....was Bennett's way of doing things any different? also Dolan is trying to sue the city of Englewood to prevent Ballmer from building a Clips arena next to SoFi stadium. Oh well, maybe at the very least he could be a minority owner of a franchise returning to Seattle. that sucks because Russell Wilson was part of his ownership group.
theagent
General Manager

Post#104 » by theagent » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:27 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
theagent wrote:So...let me get this straight. Silver stepped in to fix the Lakers but won't do the same for the Knicks? Chris Hansen.....would you like to build a snowman.....and buy the Knicks? He didn't get a fair shake for his stadium deal and got fleeced by a clay bennett influenced denial to buy the Kings. If I were him and if he's still passionate about pro bball ownership, make an offer to buy the Knicks. Once in ownership use your power within the board of governors to start a campaign to bring bball back to SEA and put a franchise in Vegas...and/or Mexico City.

I think Silver lowkey has something personal against SEA. He was Stern's #2 when all that went down. I wouldn't be surprised if Stern still has influence, we see Clay Bennett does. But to in order to make this more accelerated why not? NY would welcome a change in ownership of the Knicks.

BUT you can give SEA a team without bringing in another. Giving teams to SEA and Vegas would be the new version of "The move west" that the Dodgers and Giants did back in the 50s. you need a even number of teams and what better markets than SEA and Vegas. They have a hockey team and are building that kickass stadium for the Raiders. Pretty soon the Oakland A's will move there...bball not too far away
They had none ten years ago. It seems like a stretch. I don't think it's wise. Seattle is the lock.

To compete with an established hockey team is tough. Would the NBA be fine with potentially cannibalizing itself with an NBA team in Vegas that kills it's (presumably) profitable WNBA franchise?

I think the logistics of putting a team in Mexico City would be hard......BUT it would be cool. Luka got more street cred with mexicans in a 30second address than any spanish speaking player has done the last 15 years. BUT i dunno

Vancouver had it's chance

Kentucky would be nice but if that's the case why not St. Louis, Pittsburgh or Baltimore? probably because none of those places are as cool as Vegas.
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#105 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:54 pm

theagent wrote:you see shenanigans....I see a guy passionate about bringing bball back to Seattle. In reality....was Bennett's way of doing things any different?

Bennett was successful because he lied from the very beginning. Hansen didn't. He lost.

If Ballmer doesn't move the Clippers here, he should be viewed as a traitor. :wink:

DoItALL9
Assistant Coach
And1: 778

Post#106 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:38 am

theagent wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:

I think the logistics of putting a team in Mexico City would be hard......BUT it would be cool. Luka got more street cred with mexicans in a 30second address than any spanish speaking player has done the last 15 years. BUT i dunno

Vancouver had it's chance

Kentucky would be nice but if that's the case why not St. Louis, Pittsburgh or Baltimore? probably because none of those places are as cool as Vegas.

St. Louis already has the Blues in the NHL and Pittsburgh has the Penguins. They're deeply entrenched in those two cities.
Baltimore is too close to Washington DC for the Wizards to sign off I believe.
theagent
General Manager

Post#107 » by theagent » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
theagent wrote:you see shenanigans....I see a guy passionate about bringing bball back to Seattle. In reality....was Bennett's way of doing things any different?

Bennett was successful because he lied from the very beginning. Hansen didn't. He lost.

If Ballmer doesn't move the Clippers here, he should be viewed as a traitor. :wink:

traitor??? I thought business was business??
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#108 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:23 pm

theagent wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

He failed us. **** him.

theagent
General Manager

Post#109 » by theagent » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
theagent wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Bennett was successful because he lied from the very beginning. Hansen didn't. He lost.

He failed us. **** him.

Nah, Sterling needed to go and to be honest I think Ballmer sensed the NBA is biased against SEA as a city. The Clips opportunity was too good to pass up.
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#110 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:07 pm

theagent wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
theagent wrote:

He failed us. **** him.

Nah, Sterling needed to go and to be honest I think Ballmer sensed the NBA is biased against SEA as a city. The Clips opportunity was too good to pass up.

He had the opportunity to step up & buy the team from Schultz (He didn't). He could have offered to pay for a new arena here by himself (He didn't). He then buys a team in Los Angeles & then pays for a new arena (in L.A.). No, he & the league can go :censored: themselves. :angry:

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 327

Post#111 » by Det the Threat » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:19 pm

theagent wrote:Hansen an outsider? wtf are you talking about? His proposal was more progressive than that OVG garbage and that key arena renovation looks hideous

Hansen never really communicated with the city officials(even when told so by people sourrounding him) and has his property on the land of the Port of Seattle who hold a strong connection with politicians in the city.
As soon as the city signed off on that deal with Leiweke and his OAK View Group Hansen's deal was done.

He also has rubbed the NBA wrong with the way he approached the Kings sale.
Usually you first go to the league and talk about buying a team(the billionaires club wants to be flattered and feel important) and then you're talking to the current owners about selling it.

Hansen just cut out the middle men and therefore offended them which, supposedly, was also a key point why Stern and the other owners did everything they could(even bring in Randadive, who was a minority owner of the Warriors) to prevent that move and keep the team in Sacramento.

Right now the only hope for the Sonics returning lies within the new Seattle Center Arena and Leiweke, Bonderman etc.
theagent
General Manager

Post#112 » by theagent » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:58 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
theagent wrote:Hansen an outsider? wtf are you talking about? His proposal was more progressive than that OVG garbage and that key arena renovation looks hideous

Hansen never really communicated with the city officials(even when told so by people sourrounding him) and has his property on the land of the Port of Seattle who hold a strong connection with politicians in the city.
As soon as the city signed off on that deal with Leiweke and his OAK View Group Hansen's deal was done.

He also has rubbed the NBA wrong with the way he approached the Kings sale.
Usually you first go to the league and talk about buying a team(the billionaires club wants to be flattered and feel important) and then you're talking to the current owners about selling it.

Hansen just cut out the middle men and therefore offended them which, supposedly, was also a key point why Stern and the other owners did everything they could(even bring in Randadive, who was a minority owner of the Warriors) to prevent that move and keep the team in Sacramento.

Right now the only hope for the Sonics returning lies within the new Seattle Center Arena and Leiweke, Bonderman etc.

that's unfortunate. that dumb ass roof stipulation is preventing what could have been a great stadium for that site.

Hansen still owns all that property that he bought up. he could sell it back to the city for more than he bought it for. not to mention lesson learned be a minority owner for whatever franchise comes to SEA..if they'll have him. otherwise, bring a new franchise to Vegas...Mexico City or Montreal. Vancouver had its chance and **** up
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#113 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:05 pm

theagent wrote:Hansen still owns all that property that he bought up. he could sell it back to the city for more than he bought it for. not to mention lesson learned be a minority owner for whatever franchise comes to SEA..if they'll have him. otherwise, bring a new franchise to Vegas...Mexico City or Montreal. Vancouver had its chance and **** up

The league simply doesn't want to do business with him. As Det laid out. He didn't consult with the league prior to the Kings purchase agreement. Then after getting rejected, he tried to make a mess of things for Sacramento. Big no-no. He's out.

If the league expands, then Vegas or Mexico would likely be the 2nd team added.

Leiweke's group has made Hockey a priority. Which means us Basketball fans have to be patient. It is what it is.

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 327

Post#114 » by Det the Threat » Thu Jan 2, 2020 1:25 am

theagent wrote:that's unfortunate. that dumb ass roof stipulation is preventing what could have been a great stadium for that site.

Hansen still owns all that property that he bought up. he could sell it back to the city for more than he bought it for. not to mention lesson learned be a minority owner for whatever franchise comes to SEA..if they'll have him. otherwise, bring a new franchise to Vegas...Mexico City or Montreal. Vancouver had its chance and **** up

Like I've said, that land is at a site whiche the POS desperatly wants to get their hands on.
So he can easily sell it and make a profit if he wants to.
Or he can built some big a$$ buildings(for offices or whatever), with a nice middle finger towards the POS, while loaning or selling those.

Cactus Jack wrote:The league simply doesn't want to do business with him. As Det laid out. He didn't consult with the league prior to the Kings purchase agreement. Then after getting rejected, he tried to make a mess of things for Sacramento. Big no-no. He's out.

Leiweke's group has made Hockey a priority. Which means us Basketball fans have to be patient. It is what it is.

I don't think there's any priority to either sport.
It's just the one which was possible as the NHL wanted to be in this market for quite some time.

The NBA, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be give two shi''ts about us like they've shown for over a decade now.
theagent
General Manager

Post#115 » by theagent » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:38 am

Det the Threat wrote:
theagent wrote:that's unfortunate. that dumb ass roof stipulation is preventing what could have been a great stadium for that site.

Like I've said, that land is at a site whiche the POS desperatly wants to get their hands on.
So he can easily sell it and make a profit if he wants to.
Or he can built some big a$$ buildings(for offices or whatever), with a nice middle finger towards the POS, while loaning or selling those.

Cactus Jack wrote:The league simply doesn't want to do business with him. As Det laid out. He didn't consult with the league prior to the Kings purchase agreement. Then after getting rejected, he tried to make a mess of things for Sacramento. Big no-no. He's out.

I don't think there's any priority to either sport.
It's just the one which was possible as the NHL wanted to be in this market for quite some time.

The NBA, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be give two shi''ts about us like they've shown for over a decade now.

If Silver doesn't give SEA a team in 10 years then Stern's ghost says hi

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball