OT: NHL Seattle Thread

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.
DoItALL9
Assistant Coach
And1: 794

Re: OT: NHL Seattle Thread 

Post#41 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Mar 2, 2018 9:14 pm

If the baseball team hadn't named themselves Metropolitans I wonder would Seattle have been more apt to have reclaimed the name?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Cactus Jack
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#42 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 2, 2018 10:21 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:I don't have a problem with either of those. I'd just like to see them be the Metropolitans for a year to reclaim the old history and then change to something newer to reflect the times. I think they should incorporate/embrace the former Seattle team fully.

The Mets doesn't really go with the city of Seattle (It's a generic name). Plus, it doesn't really jive well with the league's Metropolitan Division name. :wink:

A name like Totems has a Seattle/Northwest connection. Kraken works also.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Roddy wrote:- The NBA without Seattle is not the real NBA
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#43 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 am

Read on Twitter

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#44 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:32 pm

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23831768/seattle-group-hires-former-coyotes-coach-dave-tippett

The group hoping to bring the NHL to Seattle has hired Dave Tippett as a senior adviser.

Tippett, 56, has coached more than 1,000 NHL games with the Dallas Stars and then Arizona Coyotes. He left the Coyotes last summer after eight seasons; the team called it a "mutual agreement" to part ways.

The Oak View Group -- led by investment banker David Bonderman, longtime sports executive Tim Leiweke and Hollywood producer Jerry Bruckheimer -- agreed on a privately financed $660 million deal in December 2017 with the city of Seattle to renovate KeyArena downtown. As a hockey venue, it is expected to seat about 17,000. In March, the group launched a season-ticket drive and said it reached 25,000 deposits within the first hour. That exceeds the goal of 10,000 deposits -- which was reached in the first 12 minutes.

The group has already submitted paperwork, including a $10 million down payment, to the NHL to be its 32nd franchise. Earlier this month, commissioner Gary Bettman said he expects the board of governors to vote on Seattle's addition "in the fall, early winter at the latest."

"There is a lot of due diligence that has to be done, a lot of interaction with the prospective ownership group, David Bonderman's group," Bettman said at a news conference before the Stanley Cup Final. "And so, we think we're on target. And depending on how everything goes, it wouldn't surprise me that there is a possibility that in the fall, early winter at the latest, that this could be addressed by the Board. But we're not there yet. And there is still work to be done."

Tippet isn't the only big name that the Oak View Group has brought on. Tod Leiweke, Tim's brother who left his job as the NFL's COO in March, is set to become the team's CEO and president. League sources tell ESPN that Tippett was pursuing other coaching opportunities this past season; it is unclear if he will be considered as Seattle's inaugural head coach.

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#45 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 4, 2018 8:11 pm

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!

Read on Twitter

Plutonashfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#46 » by Plutonashfan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Hmm plot thickens. Congratulations on the NHL team. Hope you guys get a NBA team soon. Sucks that okc stole your last one.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#47 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:13 am

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#48 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:55 pm

https://mynorthwest.com/1352200/keyarena-renovation-delayed-over-budget/?show=comments#comments

KeyArena’s grand reopening has been delayed yet again, threatening the start of the Seattle Storm’s 2021 basketball season, and potentially costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Documents obtained by The Seattle Times show construction costs have ballooned to $900 million dollars. The first price tag put renovations at $600 million dollars, with work originally scheduled to wrap up in time for the 2020 NHL season in October.

That was initially delayed 12 months by the NHL, when it became clear that it wasn’t a feasible date for the end of construction. After that, eyes were trained on the 2021 season for the debut of Seattle’s new hockey team.

The latest estimate has the renovated KeyArena opening closer to June 2021, bumping up against the May start of the Storm’s season, and just four months before the beginning of the NHL season.

Over the last two years, funding estimates have jumped almost continuously, due to skyrocketing labor and building material costs, among other factors. Most recently, the price tag sat at $800 million, back when ground first broke on the renovation back in December 2018.

The rebuild is set to include a 360-foot-long glass atrium, dedicated locker rooms for Seattle’s new NHL team, a potential NBA team, and the Storm, 50,000 square feet of storage, and a 750,000 square foot interior. Capacity for hockey games will seat up around 17,400 people, while basketball will house 18,600.

While the renovation is using all private money, this could still end up impacting Seattle taxpayers. If delays cause the Storm to miss home games, the city would be on the hook for $260,000 for each game the team is forced to relocate.

According to the Times, a new deal between NHL Seattle and the Oak View Group developer caps the renovation’s costs from rising any further. There are no details on whether or not the original plans for the project have been scaled back to account for delays and the need for additional funding.

DoItALL9
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#50 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:58 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Did Hansen's latest proposal get anywhere? Get rejected?

https://komonews.com/sports/sports-content/chris-hansen-tries-to-revive-sodo-arena-project-to-lure-sonics-back

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

It's dead. Hansen can try to revive it all he wants, but the city is fully behind the Key Arena renovation now. It's over. He lost.

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#51 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:27 am

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27062707/seattle-nhl-franchise-get-ahl-affiliate-calif

Seattle NHL Franchise To Have AHL Affiliate In Palm Springs

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- Seattle's new NHL franchise intends to have its American Hockey League affiliate in Palm Springs as part of a new arena proposed for the city.

The Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians and Oak View Group announced plans Wednesday to build a privately funded arena on tribal land in downtown Palm Springs with the intent of serving as the home ice for Seattle's affiliate. NHL Seattle and OVG have jointly submitted an application for an expansion AHL franchise, the 32nd for the league, which would begin play in the fall of 2021, at the same time Seattle's NHL franchise will begin play.

OVG is currently financing and leading the renovation of the arena at Seattle Center that will be home to the NHL franchise.

The new arena in Palm Springs will seat up to 10,000 fans and include an adjoining training facility. The groups hope to begin construction on the arena in February 2020.

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#52 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:38 am

Ron Francis Named Seattle GM

SEATTLE -- Ron Francis has all kinds of eye-popping statistics attached to his Hall of Fame career. He averaged more than point a game, is second in NHL history in assists behind Wayne Gretzky and is fifth in career points.

When CEO Tod Leiweke and the ownership group of the Seattle NHL expansion team looked at his playing résumé, though, they were most impressed by another statistic: Francis was voted captain by three teams for 14 of his 23 years, first earning the role at age 21.

That leadership ability spurred them to hire Francis on Thursday as general manager of the yet-to-be-named team -- well ahead of their schedule.

"Ownership made an incredible commitment ... in supporting this idea of let's do this a year early," Leiweke said. "If we're really here working for our fans, let's reward their belief. They said we're willing to make this commitment a year early. We're willing to bring on a general manager earlier than any other expansion team in the history of the NHL and that gift of an additional year will serve us well and give us a chance to scout and build and plan. But we had to find the right person."

They believe the 56-year-old Francis is that person, announcing his hiring at a news conference that was attended by the mayor and a state senator. He'll have complete control of building the organization under Leiweke. Francis said he already has drawn up an organizational chart that will guide hiring as the team prepares to open play in 2021 as the NHL's 32nd franchise.

And he already has started daydreaming about how his team will look.

"I think if you look at my past experience, it's a team that's fast," Francis said. "I think it's a team that needs to have skill and hockey sense. I like a team that's extremely competitive. And for me I think you need a team that has character. It's easy to be a good person when things are going well. When things get a little bit tough, that's when character rises to the top and pulls you through those tough times."

Character defined Francis' playing career. Jaromir Jagr, his teammate on the 1991 and 1992 Stanley Cup-winning Pittsburgh Penguins, called Francis perhaps the most underrated player in NHL history. After starting his career as the No. 4 overall pick in the 1981 draft for the Hartford Whalers, he played for the Penguins and the Toronto Maple Leafs before returning to the Whalers in 1998 after they moved to Carolina.

He guided that team to the Stanley Cup Final before retiring. He joined the Hurricanes' front office and worked through a number of jobs under Hall of Fame GM Jim Rutherford, including assistant GM and associate head coach. He was promoted to GM in 2014 when Rutherford left for Pittsburgh and held that position until an ownership change in 2018, a year before Carolina played in the finals.

Francis said he was depressed after leaving the Hurricanes, but found his drive again while working at the Spengler Cup and with Hockey Canada during last year's world championships.

"Getting around the NHL players again, the NHL coaches and stuff, the passion started burning again and I thought, 'OK this is really where I want to be,'" Francis said. "And when Tod called, I looked at the opportunity and said, 'What a great chance.' We get to build it from the ground up. We get to establish our culture and how we want to do it. I think it's a unique opportunity. It doesn't happen every day."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27217894/francis-welcomes-great-chance-seattle-gm

Cactus Jack
RealGM

Post#53 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Release the Kraken!!!

Read on Twitter

DoItALL9
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm

... Maybe

Even the article said this maybe a misleak

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
theagent
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#55 » by theagent » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:36 pm

There's a union for drug addicts is Washington???

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball