OT: NHL Seattle Thread

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.
theagent
General Manager
And1: 495

Re: OT: NHL Seattle Thread 

Post#61 » by theagent » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:For there to be an expansion franchise in Seattle right now there would have to be an owner willing to pay an exorbitant amount and somehow willing to not been included in the national TV money for several years.

They'd have to be willing to take a major financial risk and profit only from tickets, local TV contracts, and team paraphernalia.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Steve Ballmer just spent 400mil to acquire the Forum and apparently not tear it down. I'm just wondering what is going on is SEA/Wash where a guy like Ballmer just says f you and spend ridiculous $$$ in another state. I hear what you're saying about $$$ being in limbo for a couple years but by that time a SEA team might be relatively good. so, in essence its worth the investment. you save money by staying in that wackass renovated key arena or "new seattle center". Chris Hansen would probably have been glad to do what you said but he did what he did. ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up part owner of a Vegas franchise.

which is to my point.....tix, local tv contacts and franchising would coast in SEA, Vegas and Mex City
Cactus Jack
RealGM
And1: 8,823

Re: OT: NHL Seattle Thread 

Post#62 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 pm

theagent wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:For there to be an expansion franchise in Seattle right now there would have to be an owner willing to pay an exorbitant amount and somehow willing to not been included in the national TV money for several years.

They'd have to be willing to take a major financial risk and profit only from tickets, local TV contracts, and team paraphernalia.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Steve Ballmer just spent 400mil to acquire the Forum and apparently not tear it down. I'm just wondering what is going on is SEA/Wash where a guy like Ballmer just says f you and spend ridiculous $$$ in another state. I hear what you're saying about $$$ being in limbo for a couple years but by that time a SEA team might be relatively good. so, in essence its worth the investment. you save money by staying in that wackass renovated key arena or "new seattle center". Chris Hansen would probably have been glad to do what you said but he did what he did. ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up part owner of a Vegas franchise.

which is to my point.....tix, local tv contacts and franchising would coast in SEA, Vegas and Mex City

Again, Hansen has zero interest in owning a team outside Seattle. It's just not going to happen.

Ballmer partnered with Hansen. They lost. Once it became apparent that Hansen's arena was not to be, Ballmer settled on the Clippers & L.A for that matter.

Tim Leiweke is the guy who will determine our fate. While David Bonderman is the money guy. Both have strong connections to the league. Bonderman is currently a minority owner (Celtics). Leiweke worked for the league at one time.

For all the positive work that Hansen did here, he's no longer a key figure in all this. Could he possibly be a minority owner at some point if a team returns? Sure. It's a possibility. But, he's not pulling any strings.

As far as Expansion goes, the league's television deal won't be up for another 4-5 years (2024/25). So, don't expect any news of a team before then. That's the reality of the situation. Like it or not. We don't have much choice in the matter.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Roddy wrote:- The NBA without Seattle is not the real NBA

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball