Sympathy from other team's fans here.

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

AbdicatedReign
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Sympathy from other team's fans here. 

Post#21 » by AbdicatedReign » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:32 am

Not sure about Snap, but Calabro has stepped down and won't be going to The Place That Shall Not Be Named.

I imagine he will continue to do work for NBA TV and ESPN, not sure, though. I can't conceive a world where he'd have a tough go of it finding a broadcasting job, so if he's not working somewhere it's because his heart's been ripped from it's ribcage nestling.
TradeMachine
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#22 » by TradeMachine » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:45 am

AbdicatedReign wrote:Not sure about Snap, but Calabro has stepped down and won't be going to The Place That Shall Not Be Named.

I imagine he will continue to do work for NBA TV and ESPN, not sure, though. I can't conceive a world where he'd have a tough go of it finding a broadcasting job, so if he's not working somewhere it's because his heart's been ripped from it's ribcage nestling.

Thanks.

I loved Snapper when was here in Portland. There were some rumors about how the team's management (the previous regime) wasn't too fond of his objectivity. Calabro, too, is one of the top PbP guys in the biz, imo. The guys we have now are so obnoxious and overly-biased that they take away from the game. I would love "steal" your crew. 8-)
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#23 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:24 am

doclinkin wrote:Hey Sorry Seattle, just wanted to extend my heartfelt condolences. All the Sonics fans I've ever met were passionate goodnatured loudmouths with a deep knowledge of their team and Basketball in general. Respect due. I always remember my friend telling me about how the day after the S'nix were bounced by Dikembe every single Sonics fan in the world was out in the playground taking jumper after jumper after jumper and talking shxt just to prove they at least could hit a shot.

I hope y'all get another team eventually, and until then, peace gents, all I got is sympathy. This is a loss for the NBA.

-a Wizards fan.

Another Wiz fan here. I echo doclinkin's sentiments. I had the honor of attending 2 Sonics games while visiting Seattle during what turned out to be their last season there. I must say that Sonics fans were quite passionate and knowledgable. The NBA will not be the same without the Emerald City on the schedule.

Here's hoping a team comes to Seattle soon!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#24 » by Sweezo » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:45 am

Calabro's phenomenal...I can't think he wouldn't be able to find work calling games for someone in the area. Maybe he's watching tapes of soccer games as we speak...can you say "GOOOOOOOAL!!!" KC? I knew you could..
BlazertheGreek
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#25 » by BlazertheGreek » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:50 am

I am going to miss the Sonics. I am going to miss the I-5 rivalry with the Blazers. I feel bad for all the Sonics fans, their team was taken from under them. Not only was their team taken from them but it was taken by the two biggest Jackasses in the NBA (Clay and Stern). Take care Sonics fans.

-From a Blazers fan in Portland-
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#26 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:51 am

I'd actually love it if KC would replace Dave Neihaus.

*ducks*

That's the only way I'd watch the Mariners religiously...more of a casual fan right now. KC could have the potential to change that. But I see baseball being maybe too slow of a game for him to call, even though I know he's done it a few times before.

I just want to see him do it for my own personal reasons. He refused to go to OKC months ago, and at least that's one aspect of Sonics basketball that Clay can't take away from us. Right now I'd say OKC is missing out on the best part of our team not having KC haha.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#27 » by Sweezo » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:54 am

I like Dave, but Rick Rizzzszsz and his hairpiece can go on a permanent vacation as far as I'm concerned. I like Dave Sims well enough, but you know what...he's a competent announcer who's new to the area, and I'm confident he could find other employment elsewhere without much difficulty.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#28 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:57 am

^Yeah, but Dave needs to retire soon.

But I TOTALLY agree with you about Rick Rizz and his toupee, he's got to go.

And I've never liked Dave Sims..he's such a dork IMO.
alibaba
Ballboy

Post#29 » by alibaba » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:45 pm

Sweezo wrote:Calabro's phenomenal...I can't think he wouldn't be able to find work calling games for someone in the area. Maybe he's watching tapes of soccer games as we speak...can you say "GOOOOOOOAL!!!" KC? I knew you could..

Hey Sweezo, that is a sweet sig... can you tell me how you did that?
Frozen316
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by Frozen316 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:54 pm

Ballmer said he would put up 150 million for a "extensive renovation" of Key arena proposed with 75 million from tax money, and 75 million from the city, totaling 300 million.
http://www.seattle.gov/news/detail.asp?ID=8243&dept=40

The "BOK Center" Bank of Oklahoma Center is almost completed and cost 178 million and features 17,534 seats for basketball events. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOK_Center

The Ford Center, where the OKC team will be playing was constructed for 89 million and with the "lure the Sonics" renovations costs 210 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Center

The "New Orleans Arena" where the Hornets play, opened on October 19, 1999, cost 84 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Arena

The "AT&T Center" where the Spurs play, opened on October 18, 2002 and cost 186 million.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Center

For more reasons to be unhappy, check arenas in this list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_in ... ted_States

See the press conference video here: http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/press.asp "Mayor's Press Conference: Sonics Case Decision 7/2/2008" about 12 minutes 40 seconds in. The city is preparing to renovate Key Arena, with the deal stated at the start of this post.
But they are still letting the Sonics go to OKC and instead will wait for a expansion or a relocated team. However, they will not make the improvements until they have a commitment from a team. (20 minutes 10 seconds in)

... They can see what kind of person Clay Bennett is and just want to get rid of him so a real owner can step in.

17 minutes in ---> This is NOT related to Howard Schultz's lawsuit! There is still the chance Howard Schultz will win his lawsuit and the sale of the team will be rescinded!

DO NOT GIVE UP
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#31 » by 5DOM » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:15 pm

DO NOT GIVE UP
Hiphophead101
Senior
And1: 68

Post#32 » by Hiphophead101 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:27 pm

I was a diehard expo's fan from Tim Raynes to Pedro to Vlad, now that they are the Nationals I stopped caring as much about baseball. Funny thing is my other favorite sports team was the Sonics, where I then fully invested my time in. Funny how that turned out. I'm doomed as a sports fan.
McG
Sophomore

Post#33 » by McG » Mon Jul 7, 2008 10:37 pm

Pappyman wrote:You know what, I really don't understand why do you guys blame Clay Bennett. You should really blame Howard Schultz.

Agreed, and we do. Although if he wins his lawsuit and brings his team back he will be praised.

Pappyman wrote:If a team's arena is not large enough, it cannot make as much money on ticket sales/snacks/etc. as other teams.

This is where you get off track. I'm sure you have never been to the Key Arena and most likely know nothing of income producing properties and their leases (at least you're keen on 'snacks'). Regarding the 'size' issue, I'm guessing you're referring to capacity/retail/restaurants. The extra 1,000 to 2,000 seats other arenas have are primarily upper bowl and contribute little to bottom line revenues (less than $1 mil/year for the average market). Retail/restaurant space may be a more sound argument although the Key is only deficient by 10,000 to 15,000 sf of space compared to other (even new) arenas.

The Key's actual inefficiencies are in fact due to size, just not what you're thinking of (and generally nothing that produces income). The arena has narrow pedestrian walkways and less overall common space than other venues. This is simply an issue of changing consumer preferences, as the simple fact is there are not any basketball fans who would be dissuaded from attending a game because of these aspects.

The problem is that the NBA has moved from a compassionate fan base to a circus sideshow. People no longer go to games to cheer for their favorite players, they're just social events. I realize that for the handful of competitive teams each year this may be the exact opposite, but come playoff time it's back to a social extravaganza (just look at the fans at the LA-Boston finals).

Pappyman wrote:He is simply a business man who saw an opportunity and took advantage of it. He saw how much the Oklahoma public enjoyed basketball while the Hornets played there for two seasons after Hurricane Katrina hit. He was simply making an investment into an enterprise that he thought might be successful in his home town.

Please don't confuse the word 'investment' with the money Bennett spent on hijacking a team. Incase you are confused, people (and business men like you so admire) make investments to MAKE money, not lose it or break even. Bennett BOUGHT a team to bring it to his hometown. Co-owners such as McClendon have stated this publicly. There was absolutely no 'investment' in this deal, it was a PURCHASE made to enshrine his legacy upon his sandbox of a state.
* Educating the underprivileged. *
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by BenjaminH » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:43 am

What are you, McG, a Scottish R&B singer?
McG
Sophomore

Post#35 » by McG » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:53 pm

BenjaminH wrote:What are you, McG, a Scottish R&B singer?

Irish electric folk actually, but that's as close as anyone's ever come.
rimrocker26
Ballboy

Post#36 » by rimrocker26 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:07 pm

I feel so bad for Sonic fans. The Sonics are/were one of the great NBA teams, and probably one of the more recognized names.

The thing that I really don't understand as a Kings fan, is why are they treating Seattle so much differently than Sacramento? The NBA has actually gotten involved to help build an arena in Sacramento, why not Seattle? What is next? Will they move the Knicks to Fargo? Or the Lakers to Fresno?

This whole thing is ridiculous.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#37 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:21 pm

rimrocker26 wrote:I feel so bad for Sonic fans. The Sonics are/were one of the great NBA teams, and probably one of the more recognized names.

Thank you for your kind words.

The thing that I really don't understand as a Kings fan, is why are they treating Seattle so much differently than Sacramento? The NBA has actually gotten involved to help build an arena in Sacramento, why not Seattle?

The difference? The Sonics had an owner in Clay Bennett who was a very close personal friend of David Stern. But I must also note that Stern set up Bennett to buy the team from Howard Schultz. Stern's been involved in moving the Sonics since the team was sold to Bennett in 2006.

If the US Congress can get involved with former players in the MLB using steriods, why can't they question the NBA about why collusion or fraud has become apart of the league?
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,871

Post#38 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:38 pm

I'm sorry too.

Mostly I'm mad. I liked the sonics in Seattle. I wouldn't say I was a fan - I'm a fan of just my knicks, but the Sonics were cool and sometimes I rooted for them. I liked your team all the way back to Spenser when I began watching in the early 70s. I liked the Payton & Kemp era and I always liked your team better than most teams in the west.

I plan on disliking the OKC whatevers for the rest of my basketball days, and the Sonics will be missed. You had a nifty looking young team with Westbrook & Durant.

I hope you get a new team next time the NBA expands, hopefully with a better owner.
No ears were harmed. Carry on with your Sunday afternoon
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#39 » by Ojmayo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:36 pm

Timberwolves, Celtics, Cavs fan here and seeing your team relocate must suck and I would hate it i think relocating should be illegal in the NBA.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball