Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Freshman
And1: 2

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#61 » by 206 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 am

Spot on bennith. Its even worse because we know exactly what they're going through. Right now they're grasping to any piece of positive news even though logically they understand no one is paying half a billion to keep a lottery team in Sacramento.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 357

Post#62 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Sweezo wrote:
I'm just needing to hear that Hansen has called a press conference. Until that happens, for my own sanity, I'm remaining skeptical.

But boy does it seem close...so agonizingly close!

I feel pretty much the same way about this.

Until there's a press conference with Hansen telling everyone that he just bought the team I'll keep being sceptical about this happening.

There are also now rumors out there that Kevin Johnson has a group willing to buy and I think it will be quite a few days of speculation, irritation, tweets of guys saying that Hansen or the group Johnson's seeking as bought the team etc.

Gotta try to not read too much into anything and stay away from the rollercoaster ride it's going to be...

Anyways, as a stated here before, I think this is great news for us cause no matter the outcome, there'll be a team in Seattle pretty soon.
It'll either be the Kings next season or an expansion team sometime around 2014 IMO.

We're just exactly what the doctor ordered for the league, as we're bringing down the hammer in SAC with them either selling to us or selling to a local group, which means a new arena for that team(no matter where it's situated) and no more Maloofs to fu** around with their product.
Freshman

Post#63 » by 206 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm

I understand Kings fans are frustrated, but some of them are saying we didn't do enough to save the Sonics last time around so the Kings should stay in Sac. That's absolutely ridiculous and uninformed.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#64 » by OzSonic » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 pm

206 wrote:I understand Kings fans are frustrated, but some of them are saying we didn't do enough to save the Sonics last time around so the Kings should stay in Sac. That's absolutely ridiculous and uninformed.

I'm prepared for it. They're going to hate Seattle, no matter how much you show remorse for their fan base or tell our story they're going to have ill feeling towards Seattle. I haven't really got involved in much public conversations about it on here and just let them vent.
jdbraver
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#65 » by jdbraver » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:02 pm

The seahawk game should get u used to losing at the last minute.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#66 » by Sweezo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 am

jdbraver wrote:The seahawk game should get u used to losing at the last minute.

And a dictionary and a thesaurus should help you in your efforts to write a legible sentence.
Freshman

Post#67 » by 206 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 am

jdbraver wrote:The seahawk game should get u used to losing at the last minute.

I'll just leave this here.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 446AAA6BJs
kings faithful
Ballboy

Post#68 » by kings faithful » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 am

Heres the difference between the Sonics departure and the Kings situation. The fans in both cases are not at fault. However when Schultz had the Sonics for sale there was an attempt to find a local buyer to keep them in Seattle. None were found. In Sacramento, the instant the Maloofs let know that the Kings are for sale you see several groups pop up willing to buy the team. If the Kings don't get sold local its because they are jackoffs. Another difference is the Arena situation. The Sonics had no agreed on plan for an Arena when they were sold, and Bennet was forced to negotiate a plan to build an arena and keep them in Seattle, (albeit a half assed attempt). Sacramento on the other hand has an NBA and City approved arena play just waiting for a group of owners who aren't millions of dollars in debt to agree to. Some of the other local Sacramento groups have even put forth the effort to create there own arena deals to present.

sold out 19 of 28 seasons in Sacramento with a crap product on the floor for most of that streak. It would be a travesty if the Kings were ripped away by the Maloofs. Honestly i want a team back in Seattle, but you don't take away teams from loving fan bases. I would think Seattle fans would know this better than anyone.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#69 » by Sweezo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm

kings faithful wrote:Heres the difference between the Sonics departure and the Kings situation. The fans in both cases are not at fault. However when Schultz had the Sonics for sale there was an attempt to find a local buyer to keep them in Seattle. None were found. In Sacramento, the instant the Maloofs let know that the Kings are for sale you see several groups pop up willing to buy the team. If the Kings don't get sold local its because they are jackoffs. Another difference is the Arena situation. The Sonics had no agreed on plan for an Arena when they were sold, and Bennet was forced to negotiate a plan to build an arena and keep them in Seattle, (albeit a half assed attempt). Sacramento on the other hand has an NBA and City approved arena play just waiting for a group of owners who aren't millions of dollars in debt to agree to. Some of the other local Sacramento groups have even put forth the effort to create there own arena deals to present.

sold out 19 of 28 seasons in Sacramento with a crap product on the floor for most of that streak. It would be a travesty if the Kings were ripped away by the Maloofs. Honestly i want a team back in Seattle, but you don't take away teams from loving fan bases. I would think Seattle fans would know this better than anyone.

I don't think an agreement will be reached about much of an effort was made by Schultz to find a local buyer. The sale of the Sonics caught everyone off guard. Schultz was undeniably pissed about how things went in his term as an owner, and a good bit of acrimony developed between himself and the local city and state governments. Selling the team rather quickly to an out of state owner for a relatively high price accomplished two things: It recouped whatever losses had been sustained during his tenure as an owner, and it was a big, fat middle finger to everyone who didn't give him what he wanted in terms of an arena.

If the Maloofs had sold the Kings to Hansen on the day he was rumored to do so--before any of these other suitors popped up--that would be analogous to what Schultz did.

Why wasn't there an agreement to build an arena in Seattle? Well, we'd just funded a baseball field. And a football stadium. And a basketball arena...the wholesale remodel of Key Arena hadn't happened all that long ago. Schultz's first attempt at a new arena was half-assed, and despite promises to look at other options...he just sold the team. And then Bennet came in, proposed something ridiculous that no NBA community would approve, and off the team went.

Do I understand what Kings' fans are going through? Sure. Absolutely. You're as much as fault in the Kings' situation as we were in the Sonics' situation. Do I like the idea of taking the one pro sports franchise a city has and bringing it here? No. If we could grab the Clippers and leave L.A. with the Lakers, I'd be thrilled. If we were granted an expansion franchise, even better.

But if forced to choose between whether you are happy and whether I am unhappy, I'm being selfish. And you should have the exact same feeling. I want my community to have a team, and I support the efforts of Chris Hansen to bring a team back. With expansion a complete non-option, taking another team is the only way a Sonics' team will be in Seattle.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 357

Post#70 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Well, I think it's pointless for Kings and Sonics fans to talk about who did more to keep their team etc.

Both are great folks that support/ed their teams for many years and should have a team to call their own.

BTW: Here are two new articles.
One by David Aldridge.

And another one by Adrian Wojnarowski.

Woj states that the BOG has already held a conference call about the sale to Hansen last Tuesday, while Aldridge sums up most of the arguments of both sides.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by yearsago » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:23 pm

LETS Do this!
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#72 » by bennith13 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Sweezo said it in a much nicer way then I would have.

There was never an opportunity to have local owners step. One day Howard owned the team, the next OKC did.. It was that quick. We didn't have a week or so to think about it. One day it just happened.

We had arena proposals on par with what Sacramento had. The difference was that Clay would never agree to it. Sacramento never REALLY had an arena agreement. It was extremely naive to think the Maloofs were going to put in $100+ million of their own money.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#73 » by OzSonic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 pm

I always find the Seattle didn't work hard enough to keep the team/make arena comments a real slap in the face. Kind of a way to say you don't deserve a team and we do. Those arguments are completely ignorant and I'm getting tired of reading them.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#74 » by wiff » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:09 am

Det the Threat wrote:BTW: Here are two new articles.
One by David Aldridge.

I read the David Aldridge article today even though I cant stand that guy. He made a couple points that I thought were interesting.

1. The talks are a lot further along than they led us to believe and that it's basically wrapped up.

2. I'll just quote him.
All that Sacramento can hope for is that the negotiations between the Maloofs and Hansen hit some kind of 11th hour, 59th minute snag, leaving the family no choice but to turn back to Sacramento. (I'm not a businessman, but wouldn't you assume Hansen and the Maloofs have an exclusive rights window in which to negotiate terms of a sale, which would legally bar the Maloofs from having discussions with anyone else?)

3. They wanted to hold off on the announcement because the Seahawks are rolling and Hansen and Balmer didn't want to take any of the shine away from Paul Allens team who they are friends with.

All three of those things make perfect sense to me. But specifically in regards to #2, considering the nature of the deal and what Hansen is trying to do, my first formal offer would have included an exclusive rights to discussions. No way would I allow someone to come in and swoop down to save the team/city considering I'm willing to pay 525mil for that team that is for lack of a better word, is a dumpster fire.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Re: So if you bought the Kings? 

Post#75 » by Jetset » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:33 pm

yearsago wrote:David Locke suggests that we blow up the entire roster.

can't say he's wrong. there isn't one piece worth having other than cousins, and he's proven to be more of a headache than he's worth. the best course of action includes tanking and drafting wisely.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#76 » by bennith13 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:47 am

And getting as many (future) first round picks as possible so even if we do miss on a pick we still give ourselves more opportunities to hit.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#77 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:05 am

wiff wrote:First to any and all King fans I'm sorry.

So how would reshape this team?

Wiff aren't you a Thunder fan now?

Could have swore I saw you posting there...
OzSonic
Starter

Post#78 » by OzSonic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 am

I read a snippet earlier but the momentum is starting to gain quickly. It's all over Twitter that the sale has been finalised and an announcement some say may come as early as tomorrow.

Some tweets on teh subject from some reliable sources.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say no agreement yet reached on remaining 35 percent of Kings shares, which are held by minority investors, NOT Maloofs

Marc Stein Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Kings deal to Seattle group still requires formal NBA ratification but Hansen group intends to file for relocation by March 1 if approved

Marc Stein Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

RT @espnsteinline: Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 % of Kings to Hansen group in Seattle for $525m, sources say
Expand

Chris Daniels Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

RT @tonybizjak: BREAKING: A source tells Bee the Maloofs have reached an agreement to sell the Kings to Seattle group. Kings decline comment

#Sacramento reporter hearing same thing... RT @dakasler: Source says #NBAKings sale to Seattle group coming tomorrow

BREAKING: Any #Kings-to-Seattle deal would be subject to approval by the NBA Board of Governors.

BREAKING: Source tells me deal on Kings-to-#Seattle to be announced soon, perhaps as early as Monday/Tuesday. #NBA

This...is about to go down.
Freshman

Hansen Confirms: Majority sold at $525m Valuation! 

Post#79 » by 206 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:41 am

Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say

Was hoping to keep the Maloofs out of it completely, but I'm still excited!
OzSonic
Starter

Re: Deal said to be done...65% of ownership for $525mill 

Post#80 » by OzSonic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:48 am

Maloofs probably just want to get their face on the camera once in a while.

RT @jadande: NBA source says Sacramento Kings sale to Seattle group is signed & sent to league. Maloofs will retain "small piece" of team

They don't own 35% of it though

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball