Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#541 » by Sweezo » Wed May 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Supersonics41 wrote:
206 wrote:Final pitches in 90min. Not expecting a miracle.

Its evident the team is staying in Sacramento. Some Bay Area reporter last night was tweeting that expansion is on the table for us. I think that's our best case scenario at this point.

I agree. I'm expecting the relocation to be denied, sale denied [if that can do that procedurally today], and hear talk about a "clear path" to expansion. While I appreciate the Maloofs for being willing to sell to us, I am curious to see if the process runs a little smoother once they are out of the picture.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#542 » by OzSonic » Wed May 15, 2013 9:12 pm

I was hoping to wake up and the vote to be over. Up to early. :D

I'm thinking like you guys and doubt it'll go our way. I still have hope though.
AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Post#543 » by AI » Wed May 15, 2013 9:55 pm

So it looks like the Kings are remaining in Sacramento. I really hope this means expansion for Seattle. If Stern screws Seattle again he will just prove himself as the horrendous commissioner he truly is.
Supersonics41
Senior
And1: 104

Post#544 » by Supersonics41 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 pm

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 2m
Breaking: Final score: 22-8. 22 NBA owners say no to relocating Kings while 8 ok the move.
:cry:

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 1m
Source close to Hansen camp confirms relocation of #NBAKings was denied. I am told vote was 22-8.
AI
RealGM

Post#545 » by AI » Wed May 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Supersonics41 wrote:
mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 2m
Breaking: Final score: 22-8. 22 NBA owners say no to relocating Kings while 8 ok the move.
:cry:

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 1m
Source close to Hansen camp confirms relocation of #NBAKings was denied. I am told vote was 22-8.

It's not over. There is still hope in the future.
AI
RealGM

Post#546 » by AI » Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 pm

LOL @ Stern avoiding the question about Seattle being pawned. Hell yes you used Seattle to make Sacramento step up.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#547 » by Supersonics41 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 pm

I still see expansion on the horizon for us
Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 35m
... in terms of rewarding a team to Seattle but that they will continue to have dialogue with the Seattle group. ...

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 21m
Silver says league still wants to return to Seattle. Expansion was discussed as a solution “down the road” #NBASeattle

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 27m
Stern calls it "a big victory for Sacramento.'' Says Seattle will be dealt with fairly down the road.

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 32m
... Stern says there was "generalized'' talk to consider expansion but not until next TV deals expire after 2015-16 season ....
OzSonic
Starter

Post#548 » by OzSonic » Wed May 15, 2013 11:05 pm

Heard it all before. "Don't worry, you'll get a team" It's all PR, a lot of upset and angry people in Seattle cooled off by this talk. Expansion won't happen, I don't know how you can justify it when there are quite a few teams who's hand is being held by the league including the one we tried to buy. Only way IMO is go and buy another team and go through all this **** again.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#549 » by Sothron » Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 pm

OzSonic wrote:Heard it all before. "Don't worry, you'll get a team" It's all PR, a lot of upset and angry people in Seattle cooled off by this talk. Expansion won't happen, I don't know how you can justify it when there are quite a few teams who's hand is being held by the league including the one we tried to buy. Only way IMO is go and buy another team and go through all this **** again.

Pretty much this. It is blatantly obvious Stern was the one that got the Seattle guys talking to the Maloofs in the first place and it was just to make the city of Sacramento spend more to keep the Kings, have a better arena deal and also agree to be a revenue paying team instead of sharing. Seattle will be used as the goad for teams like the Bobcats or Bucks in the future.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#550 » by Sweezo » Wed May 15, 2013 11:32 pm

OzSonic wrote:Heard it all before. "Don't worry, you'll get a team" It's all PR, a lot of upset and angry people in Seattle cooled off by this talk. Expansion won't happen, I don't know how you can justify it when there are quite a few teams who's hand is being held by the league including the one we tried to buy. Only way IMO is go and buy another team and go through all this **** again.

I don't know. I think it will be much easier to procure a team for Seattle once Stern's out of the picture. So long as the political environment in Seattle doesn't shift too dramatically, I think there's hope for the future.

But need something solid from the NBA. Give us enough to start building the arena and land an NHL team.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#551 » by Supersonics41 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:35 pm

I don't see us going without a team for the foreseeable future! Hansen is too determined to get the league to give him a team! Stay positive & on board guys! :)
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#552 » by Supersonics41 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Sweezo wrote:I don't know. I think it will be much easier to procure a team for Seattle once Stern's out of the picture. So long as the political environment in Seattle doesn't shift too dramatically, I think there's hope for the future.

This. Everyone is going to overreact right now. Realize that we still have Chris Hansen leading us!
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#553 » by boogie-reke » Wed May 15, 2013 11:46 pm

I think there's clear diff here cause you got an arena now, and the extreme financial backing. That's a major difference then the empty promise back then.

Silver's words are the most encouraging here and you can see there's a will to return to Seattle, and that the TV deals are the ones preventing it right now (TV deals that the negotiation to them is gonna start a year early according to a recent report).

I think as was mentioned in the GB, the real question mark is about the Seattle City government and if it'll change - and if it does, will it call it quits on the arena deal or say it needs to be moved elsewhere and jam it all up.

Obv I hope and want to believe that won't happen, but we'll have to see - I think as far as Hansen and the NBA goes this is pretty much a certainty to happen if things remain the same as they are today after the TV deals are signed.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#554 » by OzSonic » Wed May 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Sweezo wrote:

I don't know. I think it will be much easier to procure a team for Seattle once Stern's out of the picture. So long as the political environment in Seattle doesn't shift too dramatically, I think there's hope for the future.

But need something solid from the NBA. Give us enough to start building the arena and land an NHL team.

Once it's all settled down owners will evaluate what a burden another expansion team will be financially and how the talent pool is already diluted. I doubt it will be an option at all-

On the off chance Exp does get approved let's not forget now with this talk other cities are going to be lining up and preparing bids, cities prepared to rape their citizens which is more appealing in the NBA's eyes. It's no guarantee even if expansion is approved.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#555 » by OzSonic » Wed May 15, 2013 11:52 pm

boogie-reke wrote:

I think there's clear diff here cause you got an arena now, and the extreme financial backing. That's a major difference then the empty promise back then.

Silver's words are the most encouraging here and you can see there's a will to return to Seattle, and that the TV deals are the ones preventing it right now (TV deals that the negotiation to them is gonna start a year early according to a recent report).

All words no actions, just PR. Silver painting himself as the good guy early. "You'll get a team someday" while patting us on the head.

Please, haven't we seen enough through this **** storm to work out the BS.
TheFix
Banned User
And1: 98

Post#556 » by TheFix » Thu May 16, 2013 12:13 am

I'm stunned at the extent to which the media has been in the tank for Hicktown aka Sacramento.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#557 » by Supersonics41 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:15 am

Message from Chris!
May 15 • Messages from Chris

To the Sonics Faithful

Chris Hansen

While we are obviously extremely disappointed with today’s relocation vote and truly believe we put forth both a significantly better offer and Arena plan, we do thank the league and the owners for their time and consideration and look forward to hearing back on our agreement to join the Maloofs as Limited Partners in the Kings.

But most of all I would like to thank everyone in Seattle who has been a part of our effort and supported our cause. Words simply can’t express how much your support has meant to me personally and to our City. I truly believe we did everything possible to put our best foot forward in this process and you all should be proud and hold your heads high today.

Our day will come...and when it does it will just be that much sweeter for the struggle.

I love you Seattle!

—Chris Hansen

http://www.sonicsarena.com/
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#558 » by Supersonics41 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 am

Some Bay Area reporter-I'd like to know where this guy is getting his info.
Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow 2h
As I have reported, sources tell me H&B began engaging in expansion conversations over the last two days! #Seattle

Stern said the TV renegotiation was imminent, that is the very first step in expansion …can't do a single thing without that new TV money!

#Hansen …this is a good day for #Seattle …it is not the end of anything but a new beginning!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#559 » by FNQ » Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 am

If the Sonics are back for 14-15, it was all worth it. Ill get to be a fan of my #1 team again, with a great lotto pick and roster from scratch. Here's hoping!
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#560 » by bennith13 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 am

Sweezo wrote:I don't know. I think it will be much easier to procure a team for Seattle once Stern's out of the picture. So long as the political environment in Seattle doesn't shift too dramatically, I think there's hope for the future.

I hate to talk politics on here... but, for all those people that actually live in the city of Seattle or that have the ability to sway people I think its important for Mayor Mcginn to be re-elected. I disagree with him on almost 100% of the issues, but at least he is honest, straight forward, and open minded. If Peter Stienbrueck, Bruce Harrell, or some other yahoo gets elected we can throw out any idea of the Sonics ever coming back. Politically those people do not differ that much from Mayor Mcginn, but they are radically against professional sports and anything that is perceived to help "millionaires" and "billionaires". I fear that those people would be much close minded and militantly ideological when it comes to trying to bring back the Sonics.

Edit: Of course these are just my opinions so do whatever you want with them... but if you don't like Mcginn then Tim Brugess is probably a decent alternative. Again, I disagree with all of these candidates on almost everything, but I have given up on any elected official in the Seattle area being a centrist or anything but an extreme lefty, so if I have to have that I at least want an extreme lefty that is able to see the value of a professional basketball team to the greater Seattle community.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball