Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Re: So if you bought the Kings? 

Post#101 » by OzSonic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:53 pm

wiff wrote:
OzSonic wrote:
wiff wrote:If we are going to point fingers here let me just say the argument could be made that if you stopped being an NBA fan once the Sonics left then you have no reason being an NBA fan now because the team coming to Seattle is the Kings, not the Sonics.

That argument just doesn't hold up. They will be the Sonics. The Seattle Supersonics history will be part of the team.

So what you are saying then is the NBA leaves Seattle due to a super rich dude at the expense of Seattle fans. Boo NBA, I hate you.

The NBA show back up in Seattle due to a super rich dude at the expense of Kings fans. Yay NBA I love you.

That argument is not consistent and it's hypocritical.

Say what you want man but the old Sonics aren't coming back to town. If they were Kevin Durant and Nick Collison would be on the roster.

That's not going to keep me from being a new Sonics fan though, I'm just making a point.

Oh and the Sonics history is in OKC owned by Clay Bennett. The name Supersonics and the "history" of the Sonics are two separate issues.

It wasn't boo from this end it was 5 years of misery. I lost the the team I love and I couldn't enjoy the NBA anymore a sport I loved. I tried so hard to follow, I even found a soft spot for the Jazz and tried to jump on that team but it just wasn't the same. The Sonics are the team I love and I can't and won't support any other. They will be the Sonics if all this goes through and I'll support them every step of the way.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#102 » by wiff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 pm

bennith13 wrote:That brings up a good question... How do we Sonic fans that suffered the last five years react to the fair weather fans that went on to support OKC when they try and come back?

Thing is I'm not a fair weather fan. I'd argue I'm a bigger fan that most. Everyone is going to watch the new Sonics even if they are bad. But I know that if they get good and then get REALLY bad say 15 years from now, I'll be the guy watching them go 12 and 70.

That's not a fair weather fan.

You know how many bad basketball games I sat through waiting for a player like Kevin Durant? After years of watching Jerome James, Reggie Evans, Art Long, John Crotty, Moochie Norris, Lazaro Borrell, Ansu Sesay hoping that bigs like Vladimir Stepania, Olumide Oyedeji, Ruben Wolkowyski, Drobnjak, Andreas Glyniadakis, wouldn't be a bust. That's not even taking into account of Wally Walkers 21 feet of turd Swift, Petro and Sene. That's not fair weather.

See to me the big villain in all of it was the coffee king of Seattle. You guys might have stopped watching the NBA. I stopped everything Starbucks. Ultimately to me he was the one who wanted to stick it to the City. He was the one who sold our childhood memories. Sure lots of other people had their hand in it but ultimately FOR ME it comes down to these two idiots.

One simply made bad move after bad move that ground the franchise into the dirt, and the other is a spoiled rich guy who took his ball and went home after the city didn't want to bend over backward to build a new arena for him.

Yeah I hate Clay, he's a liar, but if Howard wasn't looking to sell and stick it to the city, there would have been no team to buy.

But ya I'll be the guy watching the team go 12 and 70 in about 15yrs.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#103 » by wiff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm

But back to rebuilding this team. Knowing that Phil Jackson is going to have a hand in this my opinion has changed

Reke is going to be the pg on the team. Phil Jackson loves big PGs and Reke is as big as the get. I'd be surprised if he got rid of him.

I'd keep Jason Thompson, he's a decent big on a decent contract. And I'd keep Isaiah Thomas as a bench player.

Cousins is so tricky though. He is so talented but his personality just sucks as a leader. Honestly I'd see if OKC would trade Lamb, PJ3 and Toronto's pick for him.

I'm not a fan of Reke but I think Phil Jackson will be. Trade Cousins. Keep Thompson and Isaiah, trade the rest of the roster for picks. Fortunately Sacramento doesn't have any horrible long term contracts.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Re: Deal said to be done...65% of ownership for $525mill 

Post#104 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:14 pm

Sweezo wrote:WHAT THE ****. Sale done? Phil Jackson as GM? My goodness...I was sitting down having a nice dinner out with my fiancé [which was already pretty awesome to begin] for my birthday when suddenly my Twitter feed blows up with this stuff, and at the exact same time my family calls saying my cousin was rushed to the hospital for a possible kidney transplant [which she's been waiting 3-4 years for]. Just so much to process...

Wow, that sounds like a great day. :D
Hope your cousin's going to be fine.

Anyways, KJ's still going to try and present a great group and plan to the BOG during the all-star game.
Therefore I'm still a bit cautious about this thing, even though most reporters think the BOG will approve the sale and relocation regardless.

BTW: There's just one thing I want to say.
Don't go to the Sac boards and tell them that "it's OK", "less painful than our relocation" and what not. It's just not as it sucks, like everyone who's been around in 08 should know.
So just leave them alone, as pretty much everything from our side would only hurt them more.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#105 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm

wiff wrote:But back to rebuilding this team. Knowing that Phil Jackson is going to have a hand in this my opinion has changed

Reke is going to be the pg on the team. Phil Jackson loves big PGs and Reke is as big as the get. I'd be surprised if he got rid of him.

I hope not.
Evans isn't a point guard, can't shoot and has regressed since coming into the league.
I'd hope that there's a way to trade him till this season deadline(for a first rounder and maybe an OK talent) or to sign and trade him during the offseason.

wiff wrote:I'd keep Jason Thompson, he's a decent big on a decent contract. And I'd keep Isaiah Thomas as a bench player.

Thompson's alright and a solid backup but him starting over Robinson should stop until the young dude has played enough games to decide on his future.

wiff wrote:Cousins is so tricky though. He is so talented but his personality just sucks as a leader. Honestly I'd see if OKC would trade Lamb, PJ3 and Toronto's pick for him.

I'd only deal him on draft night for a top 3 pick in this years pretty uninteresting draft.
If that's not possible then I'd hold onto him and see if he could be cooled a bit in an environment which is more stable than the current one.

wiff wrote:I'm not a fan of Reke but I think Phil Jackson will be. Trade Cousins. Keep Thompson and Isaiah, trade the rest of the roster for picks. Fortunately Sacramento doesn't have any horrible long term contracts.

Jackson would be a FO member and one shouldn't overstate his say in things, if he's part of the FO.
I think you leave those things to your GM, who should be someone from a program like SA.

BTW: If this does go down and we'll get this franchise then I'd be looking at something else.
First I'd call Robert Sarver(who likes $$$) and ask him how much he wants for his training/medical staff, making all of our players ironman imediatly.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#106 » by Jetset » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm

i honestly just found out this board existed last week when i went to the seahawks board to see if anyone was around to talk some football. my earlier post in this thread was the day i found board, but it doesn't look like this board was all that active anyway when i joined up. yeah i was sad when the team re-located, but i like basketball too much to drop the sport. so i rooted for la these past 6 years and said if/when the sonics ever come back for whatever reason that i'd be back. well, here i am.
Jetset
RealGM

Post#107 » by Jetset » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:55 pm

wiff wrote:But back to rebuilding this team. Knowing that Phil Jackson is going to have a hand in this my opinion has changed

I'd keep Jason Thompson, he's a decent big on a decent contract. And I'd keep Isaiah Thomas as a bench player.

Cousins is so tricky though. He is so talented but his personality just sucks as a leader. Honestly I'd see if OKC would trade Lamb, PJ3 and Toronto's pick for him.

I'm not a fan of Reke but I think Phil Jackson will be. Trade Cousins. Keep Thompson and Isaiah, trade the rest of the roster for picks. Fortunately Sacramento doesn't have any horrible long term contracts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--seatt ... 54007.html
The Seattle group believes it will need to completely rebuild the franchise, and that means hiring an executive with a strong history of drafting, player evaluation and organization building.

sounds like we have a complete re-haul to look forward to. and can we be for certain that phil is coming with rumors that they may be looking into rc buford or larry bird to take over? i'm assuming phil wants to be gm.
Jetset
RealGM

Post#108 » by Jetset » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/an-announcement
We are happy to announce that we have entered into a binding agreement with the Maloofs to purchase a controlling interest in the Sacramento Kings NBA franchise. The sale is obviously subject to approval by the NBA Board of Governors, and we look forward to working with the League in the coming months to consummate the transaction.

While we are not at liberty to discuss the terms of the transaction or our plans for the franchise given the confidential nature of the agreement and NBA regulations regarding public comments during a pending transaction, we would just like to extend our sincerest compliments and gratitude toward the Maloof family. Our negotiations with the family were handled with the utmost honor and professionalism and we hope to continue their legacy and be great stewards of this NBA franchise in the coming years and decades.

— Chris Hansen

what are the chances of it falling apart now?
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#109 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:25 pm

I welcome anyone back who jumped on the OKC ship as long as 1)their allegiance comes back to rooting for the Sonics. 2) Don't cause OKC fans to troll in here. Five years later and they still disgust me more than anything in this world. Yeah, I can hold a grudge :-)
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#110 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 pm

206 wrote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say

Was hoping to keep the Maloofs out of it completely, but I'm still excited!

Something people are really not understanding about that $525m figure is that is just an evaluation of the franchise...Chris, Ballmer, and the Nordstroms are paying for 65% of the team (the Maloofs share) for about $341 M.

This is a point that continues to be misconstrued. Chris Daniels was the first one to bring that up on his news report last night.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#111 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Sweezo wrote:WHAT THE ****. Sale done? Phil Jackson as GM? My goodness...I was sitting down having a nice dinner out with my fiancé [which was already pretty awesome to begin] for my birthday when suddenly my Twitter feed blows up with this stuff, and at the exact same time my family calls saying my cousin was rushed to the hospital for a possible kidney transplant [which she's been waiting 3-4 years for]. Just so much to process...

Happy belated birthday Sweez! How did this not get posted onto my Facebook notifications? What a great birthday gift!
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Sonics Presence Resurrected on realgm Main Board? 

Post#112 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:38 pm

When can we get back on the NBA board listings on realgm? Has any mods brought this up with the higher ups's? I think at this point, it may be fair to say keep us hidden here until the sale is approved by the league. It would also kind of be a slap in the face to Kings fans to add us back on at this point too.

Lame topic in the scheme of things, but I'm tired of going through our other boards to get to the Sonics one. Just thought I'd bring it up to gauge how other people feel.

Maybe it's a bit presumptuous on my part to be asking this at this point.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Re: Sonics Presence Resurrected on realgm Main Board? 

Post#113 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm

jenn_gp wrote:When can we get back on the NBA board listings on realgm? Has any mods brought this up with the higher ups's? I think at this point, it may be fair to say keep us hidden here until the sale is approved by the league. It would also kind of be a slap in the face to Kings fans to add us back on at this point too.

Lame topic in the scheme of things, but I'm tired of going through our other boards to get to the Sonics one. Just thought I'd bring it up to gauge how other people feel.

Pretty much.
Until it's final there shouldn't even be a thought of that happening.
And even if it's all done by March 1st, I'd at least wait for the season to be over for something like that.
That's the least the Kings fans would deserve.
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#114 » by 206 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:51 pm

jenn_gp wrote:
206 wrote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say

Was hoping to keep the Maloofs out of it completely, but I'm still excited!

Something people are really not understanding about that $525m figure is that is just an evaluation of the franchise...Chris, Ballmer, and the Nordstroms are paying for 65% of the team (the Maloofs share) for about $341 M.

This is a point that continues to be misconstrued. Chris Daniels was the first one to bring that up on his news report last night.

Yeah I understand that now. Marc Stein's original tweet made it seem as if Maloofs kept a share of the team and received 525m for 65%. I'll edit the OP.
Freshman

Post#115 » by 206 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 pm

I kind of like it the way it is at the moment. I feel a lot of posters might come in and start trolling the board once it goes public. Would love to see it go mainstream before the draft lottery though.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#116 » by wiff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

I would wait until the sale is final and apply for relocation. March 1st?
Freshman

Post#117 » by 206 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 pm

I think Tyreke needs to be traded. It puts the ownership in a tough spot as they have a sitting duck GM, but someone from up top must realize we shouldn't hamper a new organization with a big contract for a mediocre talent.
Jetset
RealGM

Post#118 » by Jetset » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:04 pm

if it's anything like how the nets board switched from new jersey to brooklyn, then i'd say shortly after the season.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#119 » by Sweezo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 pm

jenn_gp wrote:When can we get back on the NBA board listings on realgm? Has any mods brought this up with the higher ups's? I think at this point, it may be fair to say keep us hidden here until the sale is approved by the league. It would also kind of be a slap in the face to Kings fans to add us back on at this point too.

There's a plan in place at the current time but I think it's safe to say, much like the situation as a whole, details are fluid. I certainly don't want to jump the gun too much as this board's kind of a pseudo-secret, which is nice for RIGHT NOW, but that will certainly have to change.

BTW upper management has always been very understanding of of our plight, and I really appreciate that.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by yearsago » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Not knowing the details I'm guessing once relocation gets approved.

Just noticed I've been a part of realgm since 2002 wow
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball