Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#181 » by yearsago » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Ellison is out, the thought that Burkle can buy a minority a stake post sale and then claim ROFR is ludicrous
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#182 » by wiff » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:04 pm

yearsago wrote:Ellison is out, the thought that Burkle can buy a minority a stake post sale and then claim ROFR is ludicrous

Yep that's what I'm thinking. It's one thing if the minority owner wanted to buy the team for themselves but to let someone buy the minority share and then get the ROFR is a joke and I can't imagine a court would up hold that.
Freshman

Post#183 » by 206 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Yeah, this ROFR stuff is being made out to be a bigger deal than it is. Cook won't be able to partner with somebody to match the price. He'd have to do it on his own...and he's bankrupt. It won't even get to that point though.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#184 » by Det the Threat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Well, I think that ROFR stuff is just another try by KJ and his group(leaked to the SAC media) to keep up the hopes of their folks while also turning the attention away from the fact that he still can't name a big investor.

BTW: Two new tweeds by Chris Daniels.

Now the guy who was quoted about that first right of refusal says that.
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

So I got an email from #NBAKings minority bankruptcy trustee David Flemmer…on ROFR.. ”I respectfully decline to make further comments.”

And something else about Hansen and the league overlooking said thing.

I continue to hear from folks associated with #NBAKings deal this ROFR is a “non-issue” and has been vetted by #NBA, league lawyers.

Also, here's another positive tweed by Daniels.

The @sacbee and journalists @dakasler @Ryan_Lillis and @TonyBizjak report source says ROFR protests are "nonissue":…
yearsago
Sixth Man

Re: So if you bought the Kings? 

Post#185 » by yearsago » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 pm

So I was thinking, if this is Phil's baby, and we go with the triangle. Who should we draft? Nbadraft.net has us taking combo point Marcus smart, I like his profile alOt. Would that be a good player in triangle offense?
wiff
Head Coach

Post#186 » by wiff » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:48 pm

I'm pretty sure the triangle has the SG handle the ball predominately. That's what I remember from the Bulls and Lakers.

Reke can handle the ball he just can't shoot. He can also get to the rack at will but man, he is not a good finisher. He misses a lot of layups.

But Phil also like big PG's so Reke could simply play the point. But I mostly remember Bull and Laker PG's being able to shoot. Reke can't shoot.

The kid from Kansas looks really good, Ben McLemore but unless we trade up, get lucky in the lotto or tank from here on out, he'll be gone.

Shabazz Muhammad is supposed to be the next big thing at SG. But same goes for him as for McLemore, he's going early.

I'd like to see some length added to this roster. I'd be willing to bet this is the shortest roster in the league.

I'd also have zero issue with trading Cousins. He's fools gold. FIRE SALE! Trade for picks and solid prospects.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#187 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:58 pm

I don't think we'd be playing the triangle just because Jackson would be in the front office.

Also, Tex Winter won't coach anymore, which means no triangle in the foreseable future.

Marcus Smart would be a solid choice but he's a combo guard and would have to work on his point guard skills.
Given the current structure of the roster, I'd rather not go this way, if the Kings do come to Seattle.

Therefore I'd rather try and take a guy like Carter-Williams from Syracuse, CJ McCollum of Lehigh or Trey Burke(Michigan, with a later pick), if pg is the position the team would go for.

Though, if it's not a top 3 pick there are three guys I'd like.

Anthony Bennett of UNLV, Glen Robinson III of Michigan and Willie Cauley-Stein of Kentucky.
A wildcard could also be Dario Saric of Cibona Zagreb, who's got quite some potential.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#188 » by wiff » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Doesn't that kid from UNLV scare the crap out of you? He's built like a linebacker but he's short.

I actually think PG is the strongest position for the Kings. Aaron Brooks had a really solid year in Houston. 19.6pts and 5.3dimes.

I think Sacramento is just the NBA wasteland of talent. But I really think Isaiah and Brooks can tag team the PG spot until the rest of the roster is better. That said, this team is so void of talent I'd be willing to take the best player available.

If they are going to trade Cousins there are a lot of bigs in this years draft.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#189 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 pm

wiff wrote:Doesn't that kid from UNLV scare the crap out of you? He's built like a linebacker but he's short.

I actually think PG is the strongest position for the Kings. Aaron Brooks had a really solid year in Houston. 19.6pts and 5.3dimes.

I think Sacramento is just the NBA wasteland of talent. But I really think Isaiah and Brooks can tag team the PG spot until the rest of the roster is better. That said, this team is so void of talent I'd be willing to take the best player available.

They have no point guard whatsoever.

Brooks had one good year in Houston and that's it.
He's another sg trapped into a pg's body that can't efficently run an offense.

Isaiah is a nice change of pace backup but nothing more.
He's way too short and gets punished all the time by other teams point guards.
Freshman

Post#190 » by 206 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:58 pm

We have the center of the future. We need a wing scorer.

Would be cool to get Maclemore with the rising popularity of local artist Macklemore haha
Freshman

Post#191 » by 206 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:00 am

wiff wrote:Doesn't that kid from UNLV scare the crap out of you? He's built like a linebacker but he's short.

This league has a PG surplus. A solid guy like Lowry is on the block. Wish we could take control and trade Evans for him.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#192 » by wiff » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 am

Look I agree neither one of these PG's can stop anyone. I just don't think that's their biggest weekness. Isaiah has been playing pretty well lately. The last ten games 12.6pts, 4.6dimes and a steal.

I'm not going to shed any tears if they pick up a PG. I'm pretty positive I have never said the guy is a decent defender. I just they they have bigger holes.
SuperChronics
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#193 » by SuperChronics » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 am

Brooks is terrible, puts up bad shots, puts up too many shots, can't defend, can't involve his team on a consistent basis. Thomas is a good backup but that's all he is unfortunately. We really need to start with a guy like tre Burke and hopefully follow that with a guy like Olynyk.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#194 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:22 pm

I've watched three Kings games this week. First time I've actually sat down and really studied the players since the Sonics left. I have to say, this team is pretty damn near unwatchable. They put up a somewhat valiant effort against Hornets/Pelicans on Monday. We're down big. Almost came back, but fell apart in the end. Cousins looked great.
Then on Friday against the Thunder at home they came out guns blazing, only to lose the lead in the 2nd quarter and then got an eventual bi*ch slap in the end (the way I wold have guessed the game panned out). Jimmer was absolutely terrible. I understand he is playing out of position, but I don't think he made a single field goal despite his many attempts. People have said h is worth keeping because of his shooting, but he looked like pure trash to me.
Last night against the Nuggets....the entire team looked disinterested in playing. Cousins looked slow, like he didn't care, and didn't score until near the end of the 3rd quarter. Even the Nuggets announcers were saying if this team comes to Seattle or not, there are many issues with the entire team that need to be addressed.
This is worse than the Sonics last year in Seattle. At least OKC got Durant, then Westbrook in the draft. This Kings team appears to have no valuable asset. Cousins maybe--with the right mentor. I'll cut him a little slack because he appears to be the only good player on the team and is getting no help. But he's also a mental case...not sure if he fits in with Chris Hansen's vision or not.
I keep hearing Thomas Robinson is another guy worth keeping, but have yet to see anything that makes me say that's true. Maybe it's the coaching staff, not knowing how to utilize their players?
This team needs to be gutted entirely from top to bottom as far as I can see.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#195 » by yearsago » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 pm

The entire team has checked out, not sure we can use the last several weeks as a indicator. Need a pg that could move the offense through cousins
wiff
Head Coach

Post#196 » by wiff » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 am

jenn_gp wrote:I
Last night against the Nuggets....the entire team looked disinterested in playing. Cousins looked slow, like he didn't care, and didn't score until near the end of the 3rd quarter.

I had to turn it off before the 1st quarter ended it was a total joke. So many dumb plays. No one cares. No one plays D. It's REALLY bad ball. It looked like a high school select team playing against a junior high school team. Where the junior high team simply passes to the other team and they go coast to coast for a dunk.

Crazy thing though I don't even know what you can get for Cousins and Evans because their stock is at an all time low.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#197 » by bennith13 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:58 am

yearsago wrote:The entire team has checked out, not sure we can use the last several weeks as a indicator. Need a pg that could move the offense through cousins

They need a little more than that. Not even sure Cousins is a keepable player yet, he is just the only player on the roster currently that I would at least think twice about trading at the first opportunity.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#198 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 am

wiff wrote:
jenn_gp wrote:I
Last night against the Nuggets....the entire team looked disinterested in playing. Cousins looked slow, like he didn't care, and didn't score until near the end of the 3rd quarter.

I had to turn it off before the 1st quarter ended it was a total joke. So many dumb plays. No one cares. No one plays D. It's REALLY bad ball. It looked like a high school select team playing against a junior high school team. Where the junior high team simply passes to the other team and they go coast to coast for a dunk.

Crazy thing though I don't even know what you can get for Cousins and Evans because their stock is at an all time low.

Cousins is still a big with loads of potential who's only in his early 20's.

There are quite a few teams that would give you a nice lottery pick and then some, as they all think they can work on his habits.

Evans on the other hand won't have all that much appeal to other teams, as he's regressed during his time in the league and, most importantly, will be a RFA at season's end.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#199 » by wiff » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Det the Threat wrote:Cousins is still a big with loads of potential who's only in his early 20's.

There are quite a few teams that would give you a nice lottery pick and then some, as they all think they can work on his habits.

I hope you're right and I think you are but man I wouldn't give up anything of value for that guy.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#200 » by Det the Threat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 pm

wiff wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:Cousins is still a big with loads of potential who's only in his early 20's.

I hope you're right and I think you are but man I wouldn't give up anything of value for that guy.

Trust me, if Cousins would be made available, you'd have at least half of the league on your phone trying to convince you about a trade.

He's a center/power forward with a combination of soft hands, great post moves and untapped potential.
That alone has quite some teams drooling about the possibility of getting their hands on him.

You also just have to look at what guys at his position can command and receive in $, as guys like Jordan, McGee are making $10 mil a year and Hibbert + Nene being thrown the max at to get them signed.

That's why I think you can easily receive a top 3 pick in this years draft, if you'd be open to trade him during draft night.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball