Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#341 » by OzSonic » Mon Apr 8, 2013 11:08 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:KJ's holding another press conference.

The news today?
Ron Burkle is neither part of the ownership group for the team nor the arena!
He'll only be part of the development of the area.

Actually Burkle's apparently out of the arena development, too. I see lots of people trying to spin this as a positive for Sacramento but I can't see how it's a good thing for them that the richest person in their group is suddenly out of the picture. If Ballmer dropped out right now, leaving Hansen and the Nordstrom's only, I'd be terrified.

KJ

All part of the plan. We've got an A grade team and they brought their A Game. We're playing to win.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#342 » by bennith13 » Mon Apr 8, 2013 11:10 pm

Yeah, I was reading the sac blogs and they seem to think this is a good idea and that the NBA has known about this for a long time? How can this be good? I would be freaking scared to death if Ballmer backed out. How long did we hear about the so called "Burkle Bomb" being dropped when the whale first appeared? So the Burkle bomb was a dud?

This doesn't look good if the decision really is 10 days away.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#343 » by bennith13 » Mon Apr 8, 2013 11:20 pm

Reading through the comments from Sac fans on STR I will say one thing: They are a very optimistic bunch. This news would semi-crush me if it was the other way around.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#344 » by OzSonic » Mon Apr 8, 2013 11:39 pm

The theory is now that if the deal is turned down the Maloofs would have no issue selling to the Sacramento group because Burkle is not involved should Seattle get denied. This = good news apparently.

Maloofs also didn't have a say who they sold it to according to most of Sacramento's shoddy reporters (cheerleaders) during this whole thing.

So which is it?

They're all getting tangled in their web of spin now.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#345 » by bennith13 » Mon Apr 8, 2013 11:57 pm

I don't see how this makes the Sac group looking stronger thus leading the BOG to decide to turn down the Seattle offer thus enabling the Maloofs to accept a different offer. The logic that Burkle (the only real whale btw) backing out now allows the Maloofs to save their pride while selling to the Sac group seems extremely flawed to me.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#346 » by Det the Threat » Tue Apr 9, 2013 5:12 am

You know, it's pretty strange how things are run in Sacramento.

They first bring in guys and call them the game changers and what not.
A couple weeks later(or shortly before the BOG vote) they'll drop out and all you hear is that "it's no big deal" etc.

I don't really know how much Burkle should've been involved but it all sounds pretty strange to me, given that KJ louded him, tweeted that him and Burkle finished the term sheet together and with Burkle being the wealthiest(by far) of their group.

Now it seems like the Jacobs brothers will have to put up more of their money, but hey, it's all good and part of the plan...

I think that if the NBA really denies Hansen and leaves the team in Seattle it would be pretty clear that Stern and the NBA are behind all of this and just played Hansen/Ballmer and Seattle once again.

Though, I highly doubt it, as all of this investor changing(the only guy left is Mastrov, with those other guys being introduced a couple weeks before the BOG vote) can't be a good sign and, more importantly, with the Seattle proposal being as solid and well thought out as it is.
sonic_brazil
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#347 » by sonic_brazil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 am

The Maloofs have given a Friday deadline for new offers from Sacramento. It seems that they are still well short of Seattle's offer.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#348 » by Det the Threat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:32 am

Here's a new article by Chris Daniels.

Growing rift between Stern, league over Kings future?

If true, I really hope the owners go on with what they felt was the best way to go and kick Stern in the balls with this one.
jman2585
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#349 » by jman2585 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Looks like the Kings are gone. A Cleveland Brown scenario of giving them an expanstion is still possible I guess...
OzSonic
Starter

Post#350 » by OzSonic » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:20 pm

jman2585 wrote:Looks like the Kings are gone. A Cleveland Brown scenario of giving them an expanstion is still possible I guess...

I'm thinking the opposite, I think they stay. I don't like this article about Stern orchestrating what Sacramento are doing. It seems the political power is not on our side.

I hope I'm sooo wrong but my gut says it's not happening.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#351 » by Downtown » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Why do you think the Kings are gone? I read things differently. If the Maloofs thought that Seattle had the advantage they certainly wouldn't have gave the ultimatum of Sacramento having to come up with matching the money of Hansens group.

I think it's the other way around. I think with Stern now rumored to be trying to boost Sacramento's offer he believes that Sacramento is close to keeping the Kings and that he has given them some direction as to how much more they need to add if they want the owners to vote for them staying. Therefore the Maloofs have now come out and said it's time for Kevin Johnson's group to put up or shut up.

You guys know that I want to see the NBA return to Seattle as much as anyone but from where I sit I honestly believe that Sacramento has a very good chance at keeping their team, David Stern has gotten involved behind the scenes to steer that group in a direction that would sway a majority of owners, and if Kevin Johnson's investors can somehow come up with more money up front the Kings stay.

It's just my uneducated opinion but I would bet that it's about whether or not the Seattle groups agreement of sale can be matched straight up. It gives the league a legitimate out and makes them look clean regardless of the fact that the Kings owners have an agreed to sale.

I'll ask the question again. Why would the Maloofs even bother to make that statement about coming up with more money by friday unless they believed that the odds are tilting in Sacramento's favour? Why not just sit there quietly and let the BOG vote for the sale to Seattle, collect their money, and go away? Maybe they see the writing on the wall and are trying a little pressure tactic so if the Kings do get to stay it doesn't get ugly with Johnson's group pressuring them to sell for less?

I've pretty much stayed on the sidelines during all this since we are all speculating but this is the first time I have been able to read between the lines a bit and it's my view that all things being equal the Kings remain in Sacramento. The big question for me now is can the Sacramento group come up with more money? It's that simple in my mind. Either match or goodbye. Is there an 11th hour white knight that's going to ride to Sacramento's rescue?

My biggest curiosity is how much is the difference from the Sacramento group to the Seattle agreement?
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by bennith13 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Why would the Maloofs even bother to make that statement about coming up with more money by friday unless they believed that the odds are tilting in Sacramento's favor?

My guess: The Maloofs would prefer to not sell the team to the Sac group but all the news and noise the last three months has been generated from KJ and Sacramento. The Seattle group and the Maloofs have been mostly quiet through the process. This is the Maloofs way to answer some of the noise and to basically tell KJ to shut up.

I can believe that Stern is pushing hard to find away to keep the team in Sacramento, but I also believe that in the next week he is going to have to give it up because the Sacramento deal just isn't close enough to what the Seattle deal is.
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#353 » by Downtown » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 pm

I don't know why but for the last few days every one of my posts comes up as a double one even though I know I've just clicked once. Very strange and I apologize.

I agree that I think the Sacramento bid is significantly less than Hansens and that Stern has given them notice that if they want to keep the team they absolutely need to come up with more money if they want the owners to vote against a firm sale that's already in place. Remember this affects every owner in the future as far as what the standard will be if they wish to sell. Every owner wants the most and if they now signal that they will approve less they are all in jeopardy.

So as I said in my other post it is down to whether or not Johnson's group can match the Seattle offer or not. I just can't see the BOG voting for less. They are all big businessmen and have shown in past sales that despite all the rhetoric and posturing it ultimately comes down to the bottom line.

Mind you, can someone refresh my memory about the New Orleans sale? Didn't the league take over that team and bankroll them until they could come up with more money? Could they do the same for Sacramento? Was there ever another offer for that team to move them and it's apples and oranges to this situation? I can't remember.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by bennith13 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm

I don't see how the Sac group can up their offer. With Burkle out the rest of the whales don't have the cash to pull off the going sale price. And, if those whales are good business people whatsoever they can't justify paying the same price the Seattle group is offering. Even with all the whale money combined those guys would still have to leverage themselves to the max to pull this deal off. Who is going to spend basically their entire net worth on what amounts to a hobby for most of these guys?

That doesn't even count the mess of an offer that their arena plan is. I don't know. My brain is starting to hurt trying to figure this all out logically, but I just can't see the Sac offer in totality being even close to the Seattle offer. I never thought the Sonics would move for sentimental reason and because we were getting screwed by the OKC ownership group. We saw how that turned out and admittedly that has jaded me in this situation to see this story from a more black and white perspective. The Sac fans are using the sentimental argument and the fact that they were getting screwed by the Maloofs as their major reason for why the team will stay. I guess we will see if history will repeat itself or if the NBA is going to signal that business is not the bottom line in this situation as it was in ours.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#355 » by bennith13 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Listening to Daniel Kaplan on KJR right now with Furness and he was backing up my thoughts about the Sac's group ability to up their offer. These guys don't have the cash with $300 and $400 million dollar net worth's and then most of that money tied up in their business and other investments, there just isn't enough cash to up their offer very easily. But he does go on to say that he expects some more whales tomorrow. LOL its getting to be too much.

He also said that if the decision is made next week like most think that it will be then the BOG will go with Seattle because the sac group doesn't have enough time to fulfill all the request that have been made by the Maloofs and NBA. I sure hope like heck that this doesn't drag on after next week. I can't take it. I am ready to start really researching the draft.
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#356 » by Downtown » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:44 am

You have to relax and buy into that saying that you can't worry about the things you can't control. If your head is hurting you are far too invested in all of this.

I have more or less sat on the sidelines until today because there was no use getting caught up in the hype until now since we have more information, and even as we post we really don't know exactly what the league is thinking.

The big boys are going to be the players, not us trying to will their thoughts to vote for Seattle. Just relax and take it well regardless of the outcome. If Seattle wins good for them to have obviously put up an awful lot of money. If Sacramento keeps their team good for them for rallying at the 11th hour and pulling it together.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#357 » by Sweezo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:58 am

Det the Threat wrote:Here's a new article by Chris Daniels.

If true, I really hope the owners go on with what they felt was the best way to go and kick Stern in the balls with this one.

But how many of those owners run franchises that owe a huge debt to Stern? Considering the super majority that is needed to vote to approve the sale [and essentially move the team]?
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by bennith13 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:40 am

Downtown wrote:You have to relax and buy into that saying that you can't worry about the things you can't control. If your head is hurting you are far too invested in all of this.

I have more or less sat on the sidelines until today because there was no use getting caught up in the hype until now since we have more information, and even as we post we really don't know exactly what the league is thinking.

The big boys are going to be the players, not us trying to will their thoughts to vote for Seattle. Just relax and take it well regardless of the outcome. If Seattle wins good for them to have obviously put up an awful lot of money. If Sacramento keeps their team good for them for rallying at the 11th hour and pulling it together.

I am not literally stressed out about this. Obviously life will go on regardless of what happens next week. But, I am ready for a conclusion. This is like a book where the author tried too hard to add plot holes and twist and turns and in the end is going to conclude the story with a fairly simple outcome. I am just ready for the book to end.

I have read way to much info and spent entirely too much time listen to our sports radio as well as theirs to see the different views of this thing. As of today my thought is that if this goes down like 99.9% of deals go down then the team is coming here. Which means, if this deal is based on the bottom line and not sentimentality, then its over after next week.

The Sac deal isn't close. Their own people admit that they have massive issues with their arena deal and funding. They have so many issues to over come on the arena that there is no way the BOG can feel confident that an arena in Sacramento is on the near horizon. The BOG is going to turn down a sure thing in Seattle on a gamble in Sacramento? Based on what? That KJ used to play in the NBA? Give me a break.

On top of that, to me, the Burkle loss is going to be a lot bigger deal than people have been making it out to be. Go through Forbes and check out the Whale's money situation. To buy match this offer and pay for their half of the arena including all the taxes involved in those types of transactions (could be more, could be less, again... crappy arena deal to date in Sac) and pay for the renovations for the two years at sleep train arena, plus pay for the cost of the team in the next few years while probably taking a loss/breaking even with revenue sharing... they don't have the cash. It would take the entire net worth's of both Mastrov and Vivek to get close to covering that tab. And, those guys aren't that liquid. Kaplan on with Furness said it himself today. Most of those guys money is tied up in their current businesses.

It would be like if one of us decided to liquidate all of our assets and buy a sport fishing boat. Sell our house, car, stocks, all our investments, and used that money to throw down on a recreational hobby that might make money back some day? Yeah right. I just don't see it.

With Burkle? OK, to be honest that had me scared. He had the financial ability to pull this off with those other guys. Without? Hard to replace a Billionaire with a local Sacramento developer. If we had just lost Ballmer and replace him with a guy like Kemper Freeman... we would all be scared to death because logic would tell us that we wouldn't have the cash to pull it off.

I don't know. I could be way off. But the same logic that told me that there was no way in hell the Maloofs were going to be able to move to Virgina Beach or to Anaheim or that they weren't going to have to sell the team is telling me that the Sac group doesn't have the cash ability to pull it off. There is a reason KJ and co have avoided the money question at all costs... and its not like they have been avoiding the useless press conferences...
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#359 » by Det the Threat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:Here's a new article by Chris Daniels.

But how many of those owners run franchises that owe a huge debt to Stern? Considering the super majority that is needed to vote to approve the sale [and essentially move the team]?

Not sure about that.
Though, you could also ask.

Who will still follow Stern, who's pretty much a lame duck commissioner thanks to being out next February?

Anyways, if Stern's indeed doing all this, then he's an even bigger a$$hole than anyone thought already.

BTW: Seems like Hansen/Ballmer still go about their business expecting to get the team.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

Let's use history as a guide. I'm told Hansen's group will file Master Use Permit next week, hopes to break ground on #SeattleArena by Nov.

https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/statu ... 4815725568

So the news out of Seattle for this week are:
Arena would be ready for 2015/16 season
trying to start building in November
two year lease with city for KeyArena already in place and only in need of approval by the city

So whatever is going on behind the scenes, our guys certainly look like they expect to get the team and have kept on putting their money where their mouth is and have everything in place.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#360 » by Det the Threat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:14 pm

The other lawsuit against Hansen and the arena has been dismissed.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 4m

BREAKING: The last legal challenge prior to NBA BOG vote is now eliminated. Victory for Chris Hansen. #SeattleArena

https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5

So Seattle will have his ducks in a row for next weeks vote.

Should be a fun ride till then...

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball