Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,940

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#461 » by Moonbeam » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 pm

Very sorry for you guys. I have no idea why expansion is not an option - adding an ownership group that is clearly willing to spend big money while mending fences with a storied fanbase and in turn taking some of the sting out of the black eye of PR that the Sonics departure was makes too much sense, I guess. I'm wearing my Sonics hoodie today.
Supersonics41
Senior
And1: 104

Post#462 » by Supersonics41 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 am

Chali2Na wrote:"It's called reality.

:roll:
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#463 » by Sweezo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 am

Chali2Na wrote:It's called reality.

If you think I have absolutely any interest in continuing this conversation you are mistaken And if you think, after today receiving the second worst news I've received as a fan of the Sonics, I feel like I need to be preached to by whoever you are or claim to be, you're mistaken. Consider your point made and move.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#464 » by Supersonics41 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 am

Moonbeam wrote:Very sorry for you guys. I have no idea why expansion is not an option - adding an ownership group that is clearly willing to spend big money while mending fences with a storied fanbase and in turn taking some of the sting out of the black eye of PR that the Sonics departure was makes too much sense, I guess. I'm wearing my Sonics hoodie today.

Thanks for the kind words :cry:
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#465 » by wiff » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:36 am

It doesn't really make much sense to me. The only logical reason is that expansion is on the table. But the league is already a little watered down. I actually don't want to see expansion. Of course if it meant getting a team in Seattle, then great, but I'm actually more for retraction.

This really sucks. Hansen is a stud I don't really get why the owners passed on Hansen and Balmer as owners. Obviously the owners don't have a problem moving teams. Take a look at OKC. They did everything they could to grease the skids for Bennett.

I will say Sacramento did seem to rally around the team a lot more than Seattle did. Seattle as a whole was pretty "meh" when everything went down.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#466 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:17 am

What is really terrible about this is Stern standing still while the Sonics were taken, and then rallying the Kings to stave off Seattle.

That, to me, is reprehensible behavior. There's some sort of bias there, and it really sucks what he did to Seattle, who have been victimized by the NBA twice now.

Really dont know what to say beyond that. I was a Sonics fan as a kid and it just sucks to see this happen. Ive never hated Stern up until this point.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Post#467 » by Det the Threat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 am

Seems like Hansen/Ballmer are not given up just yet

While we are disappointed with the relocation committee’s recommendation, we just wanted to let you all know that we remain fully committed to seeing this transaction through. As you are all well aware, we have a binding transaction to purchase the Kings for what would be a record price for an NBA franchise, have one of the best ownership groups ever assembled to purchase a professional sports team in the US, have clearly demonstrated that we have a much more solid Arena plan, have offered a much higher price than the yet to be finalized Sacramento Group, and have placed all of the funds to close the transaction into escrow. As such, we plan to unequivocally state our case for both relocation and our plan to move forward with the transaction to the league and owners at the upcoming Board of Governor’s Meeting in Mid-May.

When we started this process everyone thought it was impossible. While this represents yet another obstacle to achieving our goal, I just wanted to reassure all of you that we have numerous options at our disposal and have absolutely no plans to give up. Impossible is nothing but a state of mind.

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ―Muhammad Ali

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/to-the-sonics-faithful
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#468 » by Sweezo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:58 am

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING.
Chali2Na
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#469 » by Chali2Na » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 am

Sweezo wrote:
Chali2Na wrote:It's called reality.

If you think I have absolutely any interest in continuing this conversation you are mistaken And if you think, after today receiving the second worst news I've received as a fan of the Sonics, I feel like I need to be preached to by whoever you are or claim to be, you're mistaken. Consider your point made and move.

Well, what I am is a diehard Sonics fan. Been that way my entire life. I've been to every rally, in 2008, and last year. I'd trade the damn Mariners and Seahawks for an NBA team if I could.

That being said, I obviously have a different opinion from you on the matter, and one that many other people share. You're not going to agree with everyone on everything regarding this matter, other than the ultimate goal: getting a team back. How (and when) a team comes back is absolutely up for debate.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#470 » by Supersonics41 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:31 am

Det the Threat wrote:Seems like Hansen/Ballmer are not given up just yet

While we are disappointed with the relocation committee’s recommendation, we just wanted to let you all know that we remain fully committed to seeing this transaction through. As you are all well aware, we have a binding transaction to purchase the Kings for what would be a record price for an NBA franchise, have one of the best ownership groups ever assembled to purchase a professional sports team in the US, have clearly demonstrated that we have a much more solid Arena plan, have offered a much higher price than the yet to be finalized Sacramento Group, and have placed all of the funds to close the transaction into escrow. As such, we plan to unequivocally state our case for both relocation and our plan to move forward with the transaction to the league and owners at the upcoming Board of Governor’s Meeting in Mid-May.

When we started this process everyone thought it was impossible. While this represents yet another obstacle to achieving our goal, I just wanted to reassure all of you that we have numerous options at our disposal and have absolutely no plans to give up. Impossible is nothing but a state of mind.

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ―Muhammad Ali

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/to-the-sonics-faithful

They're basically telling the league to give them expansion or they will be forced to use litigation! Love it!! :bowdown:
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#471 » by ICMTM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:41 am

Truth be told though David Stern said the agreement was binding pending the team being moved to Seattle. I think that is why the relocation vote came before the sale of the team. Sorry that Seattle was Maloofed, too. I know the feeling.
KANGZZZZZ!
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#472 » by Supersonics41 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 am

ICMTM wrote:Truth be told though David Stern said the agreement was binding pending the team being moved to Seattle. I think that is why the relocation vote came before the sale of the team. Sorry that Seattle was Maloofed, too. I know the feeling.
Please leave.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#473 » by Sweezo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 am

Supersonics41 wrote:They're basically telling the league to give them expansion or they will be forced to use litigation! Love it!! :bowdown:

Boy am I seeing a lot of Sonics getting geared up for this fight but...what is the fight, exactly? Litigation to force what? Everyone's certainly free to get their hopes up but I don't really get what everyone's hoping for. The relocation committee has spoken, Sacramento's been given until Friday to post 50% in escrow to purchase the Kings...what am I missing?

All we have is a vague message from Hansen indicating he's not done fighting. If someone can point out where he says he's suing someone I'd love to see it.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#474 » by Supersonics41 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 am

Sweezo wrote:
Supersonics41 wrote:They're basically telling the league to give them expansion or they will be forced to use litigation! Love it!! :bowdown:

Boy am I seeing a lot of Sonics getting geared up for this fight but...what is the fight, exactly? Litigation to force what? Everyone's certainly free to get their hopes up but I don't really get what everyone's hoping for. The relocation committee has spoken, Sacramento's been given until Friday to post 50% in escrow to purchase the Kings...what am I missing?

All we have is a vague message from Hansen indicating he's not done fighting. If someone can point out where he says he's suing someone I'd love to see it.

I think the hope is that H/B/N will "put pressure", if you will, on Stern & the owners to grant expansion.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#475 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 am

Hansen is at least not giving up. Gotta love that. Have to wonder if the gag order was the death knell for the Seattle group. They couldnt go out and drum up public support like the Sacramento group did..

Either way I'm in Hansen's corner until its officially 6 feet under. He's a go-getter and deserves this team, and so does Seattle. Stern deserves a really nasty rectal itch for how he's treated Seattle the past 10 years.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,940

Post#476 » by Moonbeam » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 am

FireNellieQuick wrote:Hansen is at least not giving up. Gotta love that. Have to wonder if the gag order was the death knell for the Seattle group. They couldnt go out and drum up public support like the Sacramento group did..

Either way I'm in Hansen's corner until its officially 6 feet under. He's a go-getter and deserves this team, and so does Seattle. Stern deserves a really nasty rectal itch for how he's treated Seattle the past 10 years.

The gag order was a bad omen - I agree. Sacramento had plenty of opportunities to drum up national attention for their cause, which is fair enough, but limiting Seattle's chance to do the same seemed like a PR ploy to lead to today's outcome.

For Seattle's sake, I hope the numerous options Chris alluded to include real avenues to expansion, because I can't see the Kings leaving now.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#477 » by KingInExile » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 pm

I see a lot of posts wondering why the BOG would reject this deal if Hansen and Seattle did everything right. Well, Hansen and the city DID everything right. But there was one big factor influencing the decision that was out of their control...which was that they couldn't change the history of the Maloofs screwing up at every turn. Any deal involving the Maloofs is a high-risk deal prone to failure unless you have a time machine and an exorcist in your back pocket.

As a Seattle area resident, I too want to see the Sonics back. The city deserves a team. I agree it's hard to see the path forward for the city getting the Sonics back right now. But one thing I do know is that Hansen and the city have clearly demonstrated that there is a viable ownership group here and that the city will support a team.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#478 » by bennith13 » Thu May 2, 2013 7:44 am

Now that this thread can actually be used for talking about real issues...

I avoided posting here on Monday because I didn't want my raw emotion to come out before I had time to process what had actually happened. All that happened Monday was a set back. There is still time on the clock and we need to support Hansen and Ballmer in anyway we can as they compete down to the last tick. There are still a lot of questions that need to be answered.

Will the Sac group actually come up with the money they are supposed to have by Friday? If not, will the NBA put another deadline down or will they finally say enough is enough with the help and extensions?

Sense we know that Hansen and Ballmer are going to continue on with their purchase of the Kings, on what ground does the NBA have in rejecting the sale? Are Hansen and Ballmer willing to go Clay Bennett?

I for one am all for that option. I see few other alternatives. Sac fans can call me any name they want, I couldn't care less. Fine, I am a hypocrite and a F...er and whatever else. Bottom line is I want a team. We want a team. The only way to get a team is to take one. That is the game. If Sac (other city) fans really cared they would have spoke up when our team was stolen. Turn about is fair play. We learned the rules, time to play.

Yes, few, if anyone will believe that Hansen/Ballmer would keep the team in Sacramento. If they owned the team they wouldn't have to. Do the exact play book Stern laid out for ole' Clay. Just say they want a 99.9% publicly finance arena is some crazy location that can never be built on. Tear the team apart even more. Trade everyone. Hire some even crappier coach. Move the radio play by play to a radio station that no one gets. Fire any employee that bad mouths the ownership group and or talks about Sacramento in a positive light. Spend less than a month there the entire time they own the team there. Show little to no interest in the team. Make sure the big video and score board catches fire at least three times during the season during any game on any national tv. Fan support dwindles and Hansen/Ballmer can go to the BOG in 2014 and say that they tried their best but that Sacramento just can't come up with a deal. It will be rotten for the fans of Sacramento, but that is what happened to us and if that is how we have to get a team then so be it.

Hansen and Ballmer tried to play nice and play by the rules of the NBA. Problem is that Stern changes the rules to fit his desires. Time to play aggressive and be a little more fake and underhanded. KJ and co have gotten away with lying and calling us bad fans and have put down zero actual money to show real intent at making this happen and so far they have done alright. Time to roll up the sleeves and play a little dirty.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#479 » by Joel Embust » Thu May 2, 2013 3:12 pm

Sweezo wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:Keep your heads up, cause I honestly think the future will bring good news for Seattle Basketball, it is inevitable..

I'm not going to take a shot at the Kings or Sacramento because I have no reason to, so don't take the following as such. But in terms of best situations around the league for us to swoop in and do something, Sacramento was it. Ownership willing to sell, failed prior efforts to build a new arena, a struggling local economy, etc. And the NBA gave Sacramento as much time and help as possible to get a plan in place that allowed them keep them where they are.

I see zero reason for Chris Hansen to spend any more of his time and money fighting this fight, because there is absolutely nothing more the Seattle group could have done to get a team here. There's no reason for him to attempt to buy another franchise as the same outcome would seem likely. Unless expansion is a thing...

Pretty much sums it all up.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#480 » by Downtown » Thu May 2, 2013 3:16 pm

I think you're talking more from a raw emotional state. The scorched earth policy isn't going to achieve it's goal.

In my opinion the Seattle group still has to deal from a professional business standpoint rather than a threatening stance. I honestly don't have any idea what Hansen has up his sleeve and I am still hanging onto a slim thread of hope with his message about not being done yet, but I just don't see him walking in and threatening every owner.

I do see him being blunt to them about using every legal means until the end and not giving up, and I would expect such, but that is different than being straight up hostile.

Suing is messy, lengthy, leaves a long lasting bad taste, and ultimately there is no guarantee of a win. This is business and at some point you have to cut a deal. I expect an olive branch from the BOG to Hansens group. I know Hansen said he wants the Kings and nothing else, but I believe he is playing tough business and setting the table for negotiating a guarantee for a team in any shape or form for Seattle, whether it's the Kings or otherwise.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball