Hornets coming to Seattle

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Supersonicas
Ballboy
And1: 0

Hornets coming to Seattle 

Post#1 » by Supersonicas » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:09 pm

The Boston Globe is reporting that if the New Orleans Hornets don't average close to 15,000 fans in home games starting with tonight's contest against the Lakers through all home games until February of 2009, the franchise will be allowed out of their lease with the New Orleans Arena by the State of Louisiana.
If that happens, the Hornets would be allowed to move if they choose. Although tonight's Lakers game is sold out, the Hornets have averaged an NBA-worst 11,871 fans this season through 15 games. Potential suitors could include Oklahoma City, Kansas City and Las Vegas. If this happens, it could be great news for fans of the Seattle SuperSonics.

See I told you guys before. Hornets coming to Seattle. Great news! P.J. sucks anyways. Gotta get a Chris Paul jersey now!
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#2 » by Copperhead » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:13 pm

LOL! You should lock this thread for providing false hope. Those benchmarks will be met. Shinn would rather stay in N.O. rather than pay all the penalties he'd have to if they moved. The NBA has also said that the Sonics are the only team allowed to relocate to OKC. Build an arena. Have a nice day.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008 ... ew_de.html
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Hornets coming to Seattle 

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:31 pm

Supersonicas wrote:If this happens, it could be great news for fans of the Seattle SuperSonics.

No, it's not. I'm a fan of the Supersonics, not the **** Hornets.
Supersonicas
Ballboy

Post#4 » by Supersonicas » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:05 pm

Sweezo wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No, it's not. I'm a fan of the Supersonics, not the **** Hornets.
Nah man, there talking about the Hornets moving to OKC not Seattle. Either way its win win. If it was between rosters Hornets win in a landslide.
Rah Fentons
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Rah Fentons » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:30 pm

Hornets are almost done in New Orleans.

It won't cost $100 million. Shinn will re-sell the $60 milllion minority interest in his new location. And that new city will pay his $30 million relo fee.

This lets Shinn out of New Orleans after next year with some window dressing to for the local politicians to save face.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:27 pm

I hate to see the Hornets move but...moving the Hornets to OKC makes more sense than moving them to Seattle IMO. The Hornets have at least played there before. I have nothing against OKC getting a franchise...I just don't want it to be "my" franchise.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#7 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 am

You guys seem to be missing the point of the extension announcement. Here is a pretty good, and dare I say realistic view of what this means.

If you notice in the article, the attendance figure used is what was averaged here in NOLA before Katrina. Shinn is just asking that we support him like we did before Katrina hit. We seem to have all the elements in place for that, but we need better attendance. Teams don't move because of attendance, but corporate sponsors, in most cases, base their support on how many people they think they can reach. If the sponsors started to diminish their sponsorship or TV revenue went down, then the whole thing starts to fall apart. In order to keep things going the way they have been going before Katrina, the Hornets just want that average met. Which ought to tell you something. With that number, it is clear that the Hornets were profitable here. We have been told by the naysayers that we didn't support the Hornets before Katrina. Bull****, and this ought to put all of that to rest.

So does the agreement make it easier for the Hornets to leave? Sure, if we don't support them. Does the agreement give us some finality that the Hornets will not bolt on us prematurely? Sure, if we support them.

Yesterday, Arnie Fielkow convened a meeting with all the players regarding the TV problem on the northshore. Don't expect for a second that this isn't relevant here. It's up to us to get it together and make it work here. That meeting was a step in the right direction. Arnie clearly expects this matter to be resolved and seems to be adament about it.

As for the PF, again, it's a win/win for both. Many here have complained, why build a Practice Facility if the team is going to leave? Shinn has said that the original agreement required him to have the PF. Looks like the baby has been cut in half on this one. The Alario is fine through at least 2014 with the addition, and if the Hornets leave, our Alario, which was there before the Hornets, got a nice upgrade, so we don't totally lose out either.

I can understand the anxiety here. But the reality is this, Shinn wants us to support this team more. We have two ways that we can view this amended agreement. We can say scroo Shinn he is trying to leave and not support him at all, or we can go out and support this team and realize that if we do, everything else will take care of itself.

Which choice will you make?

I'll be in the arena later this month doing my part from afar.

Edit: let me add one thing. How many people here have said that if Seattle wants to keep the Sonics, all they have to do is take care of the arena situation? Well, this is a similar situation. All we have to do is actually go to the games and everything is good, which is true no matter what year it is. So try not to focus on any year indicated in the contract. Just go out and support the team, or not. The choice is yours.

I will say this, no more excuses. If we don't support the team, then there is no reason for any complaining here. This is something that is actually in our control, one fan at a time. Go out and do your part. And if you aren't doing your part, I'd think twice about complaining.

As for the Hornets going back to OKC, they've already said that the Sonics are the only team that can relocate to OKC.

http://www.810whb.com/scripts/archives/ ... icle=16149
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#8 » by D5150 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:51 am

^^^^^

until the BOG rejects bennetts relocation request.
Don't act like you're not impressed.
Rah Fentons
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Rah Fentons » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:23 am

You guys seem to be missing the point of the extension announcement. Here is a pretty good, and dare I say realistic view of what this means.

What it tells me is that Shinn will be applying for relocation this time next year.

I wonder how much longer the ticket give-aways, Ladies night, and two-for-one deals will last in New Orleans ?????
Sonics3408
Junior

Post#10 » by Sonics3408 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:55 am

Supersonicas wrote:See I told you guys before. Hornets coming to Seattle. Great news! P.J. sucks anyways. Gotta get a Chris Paul jersey now!

Sigh...please change your name. Would you say you don't care about the team at all, or just very, very little?
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#11 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:54 pm

I don't want the Hornets. I want my SONICS. It kills me to see that some people are jumping for joy at the prospect of this...have you completely given up with the team we have now? It would be a tragedy if the Sonics left, and I don't understand how some of you can't see that...it's like throwing away 41 years of history. Who cares which team is better now.

Does anyone remember the huge ultimatum Stern gave us? If we lose the Sonics, there will be no basketball in Seattle--we will not recieve another team, period. Get a clue and fight for the team we have.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#12 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Don't worry, you're not getting the Hornets. Nobody is but New Orleans.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Sweezo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:36 pm

2poor wrote:Don't worry, you're not getting the Hornets. Nobody is but New Orleans.

Yes, if there's a franchise in existence that exemplifies stability and a commitment to one community and one community only, it's the Hornets.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 360

Post#14 » by Det the Threat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:24 pm

2poor wrote:Don't worry, you're not getting the Hornets. Nobody is but New Orleans.

I don't like to talk about other cities losing their team and i don't really like to link the Hornets situation to ours, but i just don't think that pro-basketball will work in New Orleans, especially after those horrible things the people of that city had to go through.

The Hornets haven't been that much appreciated since they arrived in New Orleans and with that situation over there, i just don't think that the people of this city are able to support their Saints and the Hornets.

BTW: Those attendence requirements by the team are way too high, to be ever met by the people of this city.
The guys from the Sonicscentral have a solid article on this one.
http://sonicscentral.com/blog/?p=1640
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#15 » by Copperhead » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Rah Fentons wrote:

What it tells me is that Shinn will be applying for relocation this time next year.

I wonder how much longer the ticket give-aways, Ladies night, and two-for-one deals will last in New Orleans ?????

The Hornets should be of no concern to you. NONE. Move on and stop being so bitter. LMAO. Move on and stop being so bitter. I won't revisit this thread so don't bother replying. Again, move on and stop being so bitter.
2poor
RealGM

Post#16 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
I don't like to talk about other cities losing their team and i don't really like to link the Hornets situation to ours, but i just don't think that pro-basketball will work in New Orleans, especially after those horrible things the people of that city had to go through.

The Hornets haven't been that much appreciated since they arrived in New Orleans and with that situation over there, i just don't think that the people of this city are able to support their Saints and the Hornets.

BTW: Those attendence requirements by the team are way too high, to be ever met by the people of this city.

The attendance benchmarks would require roughly 3,000 more people to attend games. Over 250,000 locals are unable to watch the Hornets on TV. Within the next 2-3 weeks, this will change. Maybe I'm just not a pessimistic schmuck, instead being the type who believes enough in this team; but nabbing 3,000 casual fans out of a pool of over 250,000 (and growing) doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

The Hornets were averaging over 14k per game when they started the season 2-29, finished 18-64, and were starting Dan Dickau at PG.

They'll be fine. And I agree with Copperhead, some of you need to stop being bitter and start being rational.
Troy McClure
Banned User
And1: 46

Post#17 » by Troy McClure » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:53 am

Copperhead wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Hornets should be of no concern to you. NONE. Move on and stop being so bitter. LMAO. Move on and stop being so bitter. I won't revisit this thread so don't bother replying. Again, move on and stop being so bitter.

Didn't you say that last time you turd?
Troy McClure
Banned User
And1: 46

Post#18 » by Troy McClure » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:00 am

Supersonicas wrote:The Boston Globe is reporting that if the New Orleans Hornets don't average close to 15,000 fans in home games starting with tonight's contest against the Lakers through all home games until February of 2009, the franchise will be allowed out of their lease with the New Orleans Arena by the State of Louisiana.
If that happens, the Hornets would be allowed to move if they choose. Although tonight's Lakers game is sold out, the Hornets have averaged an NBA-worst 11,871 fans this season through 15 games. Potential suitors could include Oklahoma City, Kansas City and Las Vegas. If this happens, it could be great news for fans of the Seattle SuperSonics.

See I told you guys before. Hornets coming to Seattle. Great news! P.J. sucks anyways. Gotta get a Chris Paul jersey now!

:sigh:
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#19 » by seanbig » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:20 am

Here's a better idea, convince the owner to move the hornets to OKC so dam ass clay can't.
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#20 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:43 pm

2poor wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
They'll be fine. And I agree with Copperhead, some of you need to stop being bitter and start being rational.

What Sonics fan is being bitter? Most of us agree that we would be estatic if the Sonics stayed. I for one do not want the Hornets. I'd be done with the NBA if the Sonics left. Even if we were bitter, I'd say we have a right, don't you think? For starters, this is our board...not the General board. You are a guest.

Second, there is nothing us Sonics fans can do about the current situation except support the team...we basically are banking on our local and state government to put up some sort of fight, which might be asking a lot since they have poor relations with Clay Bennett and have dug themselves in a hole so deep over the past 2-3 years, I'm not sure they can get themselves out.

And by the way...define "rational." What do you suggest we do to be rational, let our team go to OKC without a fight so the Hornets can stay in New Orleans? I think Seattle is the least of your problems.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball