Lineup shake up coming

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 360

Lineup shake up coming 

Post#1 » by Det the Threat » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Sonics coach P.J. Carlesimo is going to give F Mickael Gelabale and C Robert Swift minutes, but it most likely will not be tomorrow against Utah. Gelabale hasn't even practiced with the team again, appearing in his final D-League game on Monday night in Utah while Swift is just getting into the swing of practice.

Swift ran with the starting unit today, rotating the center position with vet Kurt Thomas.

"We're not going to change the rotation, yet," Carlesimo said. "If I can find him [Swift] some minutes, I will. It's going to be hard to find minutes for five guys. That's the only issue. And it's one game left [before the All-Star break]. When we come back, we can maybe start all over and say, 'all right, look, we've got to start making some changes.' Right now, it's one game left, they've been playing well, so let's finish up the way we are then we'll look when we come back about making some changes."

Many have used Carlesimo's want to get Gelly minutes as reasoning for Seattle making a trade soon. GM Sam Presti's office was dark at practice today and it's doubtful the team will make a swap prior to the All-Star break. The team most likely won't make a deal at all because it likes some of the young pieces it has in this rebuilding mode. Plus, Carlesimo said before that he'll just bench guys to give others minutes and they'll have to deal, it's not like everyone doesn't know the situation here.

Whether Gelly plays PG again is doubtful. Although he wasn't horrible at the position in extremely brief stints earlier this season, that may be a project Carlesimo asks Gelly to work on during the offseason. But Gelly already said he didn't want to play the position, yet, I'm thinking the comment was made because he wanted playing time and knew he wouldn't get it as the fourth guard in the Sonics' rotation.

Lineup shake up coming

So it looks like it's going to be Robert Swift and Mikael Gelabale eveluation time after the all-star break.

BTW: I really hope that bold part is not true, as i really hope that we'll make at least a deal or two, using Thomas to get rid of Watson's or Ridnour's contract. If not, then good luck to PJ dealing with that locker room, while cutting Wally's or KT's minutes.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#2 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Couldn't agree with you more, Det. The locker room needs to be cleared out or trouble is bound to happen when the Sonics begin playing all the youngsters most of the time. Meaning R Swift in addition to J Petro, K Durant & J Green.

K Thomas & a PG, at a minimum, need to go. I mentioned on another thread I think M Gelabale will be gifted to the Suns. And maybe, just maybe, some team (Cleveland) picks up W Szczerbiak, instead of M Miller, because W Szczerbiak's contract is a year less, they both can flat out shoot, the Sonics would be willing to take on E Snow's two year contract (along with I Newble's expiring) while this may be a problem for the Grizz and it's a 1st round pick either way.
nwsports253
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by nwsports253 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Snow would be a good pick up. He would be another mentor like Kurt Thomas and if we do end up getting a PG in the draft Snow will be a huge help in the development in a PG that we could draft.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Det the Threat » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:42 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:Couldn't agree with you more, Det. The locker room needs to be cleared out or trouble is bound to happen when the Sonics begin playing all the youngsters most of the time. Meaning R Swift in addition to J Petro, K Durant & J Green.

K Thomas & a PG, at a minimum, need to go. I mentioned on another thread I think M Gelabale will be gifted to the Suns. And maybe, just maybe, some team (Cleveland) picks up W Szczerbiak, instead of M Miller, because W Szczerbiak's contract is a year less, they both can flat out shoot, the Sonics would be willing to take on E Snow's two year contract (along with I Newble's expiring) while this may be a problem for the Grizz and it's a 1st round pick either way.

I think that Delonte West would be solid in a Suns uniform as well. They lost their back up pg in Banks and West would be a solid back up for Nash, playing some defense.
Could there be a chance of us trading their pick and West for that Hawks pick?

BTW: I really doubt that Wally will get traded this season. The Cavs might be interested, but i wouldn't just trade him for something like Snow, Newble and Brown, cause Wally gives us more than those 3 combined. Though, if they'd include their pick, then that would be something that we should do.
nwsports253
Junior

Post#5 » by nwsports253 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Im not sure if they would give up Brown even though he doesnt play at all for them.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:12 pm

Det the Threat wrote:I think that Delonte West would be solid in a Suns uniform as well. They lost their back up pg in Banks and West would be a solid back up for Nash, playing some defense. Could there be a chance of us trading their pick and West for that Hawks pick?.

Interesting question. Makes some sense. There are two downsides. First, the Suns' rights to the Hawks pick ends this year. If that pick is lottery (quite possible) and ends up spectacularly good, there's no easy way to protect it. Swapping our Phoenix 1st back to the Suns for their Atlanta pick would have to be like "top 3 protected" in 2008 with I don't know what consequential rememdy. Can't be another year's first because we aleady have their 2009 pick & you can't trade away successive year 1sts. And second, the Suns are notorious about the luxury tax. D West's $1.8M becomes $3.6M. I don't know if that'd be too much. After today's J Kidd to Dallas bomb, maybe they think they need to do it. If I'm the Sonics I'd trade D West to the Suns for the pick swap.

Det the Threat wrote:I really doubt that Wally will get traded this season. The Cavs might be interested, but i wouldn't just trade him for something like Snow, Newble and Brown, cause Wally gives us more than those 3 combined. Though, if they'd include their pick, then that would be something that we should do.

I agree. It'd have to include their 1st pick. I'd do that in a heartbeat. And I think after the Dallas trade, for L James' favorite PG, that the pressure is on Ferry to make a deal to improve the team. Could be W Szczerbiak... I now think it's more like W Szczerbiak than M Miller. Maybe even W Szczerbiak & E Watson for I Newble, E Snow, D Marshall & a 1st. I'd also do that deal if I wasn't able to get an expiring for E Watson anywhere else.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#7 » by wiff » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 pm

Either he gets traded or he gets bought out but no way Thomas finishes this season in the green and gold.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for a trade.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:21 pm

wiff wrote:Either he gets traded or he gets bought out but no way Thomas finishes this season in the green and gold. Lets keep our fingers crossed for a trade.

I can absolutely tell you with 100% confidence that Kurt Thomas' contract will not be bought out by the Sonics. And I agree, it's time to trade him.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,985

Re: Lineup shake up coming 

Post#9 » by Dick Tate » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Det the Threat wrote:using Thomas to get rid of Watson's or Ridnour's contract.

I don't see that happening. Maybe if the Supes were willing to take on a huge contract that runs through next season. Doubtful. It's more likely that one of those two could be included in a deal with Z for an overpaid headcase with another year on his deal (Starbury).
Det the Threat wrote:If not, then good luck to PJ dealing with that locker room, while cutting Wally's or KT's minutes.

I don't think Thomas will be a problem since he'll likely be cut after the trading deadline. Wally's another story.

New line-up evaluations, locker room dissention and a whole lotta losing to end the season... sounds about right. Just sticking to the plan.
nwsports253
Junior

Post#10 » by nwsports253 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Would we really wany Marshall though?
nwsports253
Junior

Post#11 » by nwsports253 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:29 pm

Ive read one some other sites that Knicks fans want to deal Curry and others for Wally and Luke. What does everyone think about that?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#12 » by Downtown » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:39 pm

So let's consolidate here.

Watson and Ridnour are splitting the pointguard with West seeing only scraps of playing time. Watson is emerging as the frontrunner lately, or so it seems. West may be tradeable but it sure wouldn't be for anything good. Plus with him being a restricted free agent I don't see him having a future in Seattle at all. Poor Luke is in the position of having a long, and difficult contract to trade. I guess if I were making the kind of money he is I would just shutup and play. But I bet he's not liking being a backup. He doesn't have much trade value either right now.

Shooting guard is probably the one position that there's soom room. Who really knows where Durant eventually ends up as he matures and gets stronger? I think fringe players like Wilkens and Gelabale have the best chance to see some minutes as the prime backups. It's about all they can expect. And neither really is going to make another team jump to trade for them.

Small forward hasn't been set in stone since day one. First it was Wilkens. Wally has been PJ's #1 go to guy off the bench and he deserves to play based on how well he's performed. They say now that Gelabale will see more time. Add Jeff Green into this mix and it's a bit of a problem. I don't know what the answer is. Wally deserves the bulk of time but it's Green who is the future, and he's really a tweener. Getting anything less then some salary cap space for Wally is a disservice to the team. He has played well and trading him just for the sake of a shuffle wouldn't make any sense unless it's in a package with another Sonic. But how many teams are willing to take on a $13mil contract and give up that much cap relief in return for him?

Both Collison and Wilcox deserve to have all the playing time at power forward. They have been the best of the frontline. I'm sure both would love to see starter minutes of 34+ a game. That leaves no room for Green, or Petro, or Thomas.

And Thomas has been the starting center and nobody can argue that he's not deserving over any of the young centers. Period. But he isn't a longterm player in Seattle and as the evaluation process continues the rest of the season those three young centers need to play so management can finally make a decision on them.

So for sure I haven't said anything we already don't know. A bunch of similar talent level players, all being slightly different than the next, but still none that have jumped to the front at their respective position, other than Durant and Thomas. It's still up in the air on power forward. I can see that it's not easy to make the final decision on who should go and who should stay based on performance this season.

But that is exactly what Presti gets paid to do and the sooner he decides the quicker this team can move on to the next phase. I have a hunch that he is going to make us all suffer the entire season and that it will be in the offseason, beginning with draft day, when he finally makes some significant moves.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by djthesonicsfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:31 am

Downtown wrote:I have a hunch that he is going to make us all suffer the entire season and that it will be in the offseason, beginning with draft day, when he finally makes some significant moves.

I think your analysis was spot on... but I hope you're hunch is wrong.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#14 » by pr0wler » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:50 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of rumours or headlines about the Sonics making deals. It seems like Presti likes staying under the radar and then out of the blue Seattle makes what seems like a surprising trade.

I remember when we let Rashard Lewis go for a 2nd rounder and trade exception. At the time, I was appalled. Then all of a sudden I find out we got Kurt Thomas and TWO first rounders...which was a steal! I didn't hear any rumours or anyone talking about possible getting Kurt Thomas with the TE. It all came out from no where.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't remember hearing any inside info about the Ray Allen trade either. If there were a lot of rumours, then my mistake, but from my perspective I'm watching the draft then all of a sudden I find out Ray Allen has been dealt to Boston. I was in shock!

Bottom line is don't be discouraged by news that it's unlikely the Sonics won't make any deals before the deadline etc., if anything is gonna get done it will be very secretive then we will all hear about it and be in awe.
sonichound16
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#15 » by sonichound16 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:10 pm

prowler...I agree with your observations there. I don't remember hearing rumors about those deals either and it seems like the organization is pretty tight lipped about possiblities.

Downtown...good analysis. I am hoping you are incorrect about the rest of this year being evaluation. We simply have too many pieces to play right now to properly evaluate anyone, plus it takes minutes to get into a groove and feel comfortable. Thomas and Wally have no future with this team and any minutes they get hurt the future of this team by not developing our young guys.

Any chance we get involved in the Dallas/NJ trade. With George not accepting the move we should have the pcs with trade exceptions/short deals to get the deal moving and maybe pick up a future pick.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Det the Threat » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:38 pm

pr0wler wrote:I remember when we let Rashard Lewis go for a 2nd rounder and trade exception. At the time, I was appalled. Then all of a sudden I find out we got Kurt Thomas and TWO first rounders...which was a steal! I didn't hear any rumours or anyone talking about possible getting Kurt Thomas with the TE. It all came out from no where.

The guys on the Sonicscentral talked about something going down with Phoenix quite a couple of days before anything happened. There was speculation of what we might get(Thomas, maybe even Barbosa or the Hawks pick), but it was clear that Thomas would come over, as the Suns tried to avoid the luxury tax.

pr0wler wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't remember hearing any inside info about the Ray Allen trade either. If there were a lot of rumours, then my mistake, but from my perspective I'm watching the draft then all of a sudden I find out Ray Allen has been dealt to Boston. I was in shock!

There were some rumblings a couple of days before the draft that we might trade Allen. About a day or two before talk about him going to Boston and that #5 pick coming to us started. That deal was said to be dead a day before the draft, but still went down on draft night, as we know.

So no, Presti's deals so far weren't really coming out of the blue, but you're right, cause no rumors about potentials deals doesn't means that there isn't a possibility of something happening.
Hiphophead101
Senior
And1: 68

Post#17 » by Hiphophead101 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:25 pm

Getting Barbosa would be dope. I dont think the Suns want to give up their sixth man do they?
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Det the Threat » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:27 pm

Hiphophead101 wrote:Getting Barbosa would be dope. I dont think the Suns want to give up their sixth man do they?

If they'd be open to giving him up, he'd be a Sonic since last summer.
So no, they aren't going to give up their 6th man, they just send us those two 1st round picks.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Det the Threat » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Looks like Swift and Gelabale aren't the only ones getting a chance during the second half of the season.

wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#20 » by wiff » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:23 pm

Let's just hope they don't cut into Durant and Greens minutes.

I don't really NEED to see Nick, Wilcox or Earl Watson.

PJ is right though. This isn't really a true hiearchy on the team.

Truely how much better is Wilkins than Gelabale?

Or any of the PG above the other two point guards.

Make a trade Sam and........

PLAY THE KIDS!

Give me some Petro at the PF with Swift and Sene getting minutes next to him.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball