Anyone feel a void in their life?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,279

Anyone feel a void in their life? 

Post#1 » by pr0wler » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:55 am

I didn't realize how much the Sonics meant to me because now I feel like something is missing from my life. For instance, 'Oklahoma City' played their first Summer League game today and if that was Seattle normally I would be frantically checking box scores, watching the games live and racing back to this forum to compare thoughts on the various rookies. I enjoyed posting trade ideas, looking at rumours, jabbing about the latest Sonic news and now that's all gone. Now I sign onto realgm and I kind of think to myself "Wait, why am I here again?" There's no reason to discuss prospects, no trade proposals to talk about, no games to watch...just nothing. It's like, that's it see ya later! Kinda depressing.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Re: Anyone feel a void in their life? 

Post#2 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:19 am

I absolutely know how you're feeling Pr0wler. I'm sure others feel the same way as well.

When the Sonics left last Wednesday, I felt like a part of me died. I've been watching them religiously over the past 16 years. And while I knew it was coming from day one when Bennett bought the team, I can honestly say I bawled when I heard Greg Nickels say the Sonics were sold for $45 million that day.

It felt worse than watching Mutumbo rolling around on the floor with the ball at the old Seattle Center Coliseum when we lost to the Nuggets in 1994.

The people in OKC don't know how that feels, and while they do have our team, they can never take away our memories--good or bad.
luhbron
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by luhbron » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:41 am

I'm sorry for your loss. Seriously.
If the Rockets left Houston, I don't know what I'd do.

I just hope that the ownership loses hundreds of millions of dollars in OKC, aborts that mission and restores the franchise back to the city it belongs to.

Until then, I guess you can become Portland fans since they are the closest. That team should quickly become a powerhouse and they are getting more and more exciting to watch every yr.

Again, sorry. I don't think any NBA fans around the nation wanted the team to move. Sucks that the decision was put in the hands of the few that did.
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#4 » by yearsago » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:04 pm

luhbron wrote:.

Again, sorry. I don't think any NBA fans around the nation wanted the team to move. Sucks that the decision was put in the hands of the few that did.

You would think so, but there is also a large group of people blaming the fans in seattle for not 'supporting' the team, using our low attendance (Gee I wonder why), as proof, that we didn't support the sonics.
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
east
Veteran
Location: Bklyn Heights, waiting for the Knicks to get good...

Post#5 » by east » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:14 pm

I've been checking SL box scores and tuned in yesterday to watch Beasley go up against Rose so I definitely understand how weird it must feel to suddenly become so disinterested in a sport that you used to love.

I feel terrrible for you guys and I imagine its not to easy just to become a fan of another team. Jumping on the Blazers wagon probably leaves a sour taste in your mouths, I know if I had to start rooting for the Nets it'd probably feel pretty weird.

I'll miss the classic battles between our boards, mostly posters from the Sonics and Knicks boards arguing about why you guys don't want Jamal or Nate. Ok, maybe I won't miss those so much.
Sonics3408
Junior

Post#6 » by Sonics3408 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:42 pm

I have watched the Sonics religously since about age 10 (when I started playing basketball) in 1993...

I can't count the number of hours I have spent shooting around while listening to the games, tracking stats, watching drafts, talking Sonics with buddies, following Sonics news, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, there is a void and I **** HATE seeing sonics.nba.com route to http://www.nba.com/oklahomacity/.

The very last shred of hope I have left is held by a man whose name I previously never wanted to hear in association with my team.

Hypothetically, if one was to dedicate their life to Monte Cristo'ing Bennett, where would be a good place to hit? :)
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#7 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:48 pm

east wrote:I'll miss the classic battles between our boards, mostly posters from the Sonics and Knicks boards arguing about why you guys don't want Jamal or Nate. Ok, maybe I won't miss those so much.

I'd give anything to go back to those days...never thought I'd say that.
Hardzy
Ballboy

Post#8 » by Hardzy » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:27 am

No more getting the foxtel guide, looking 1 month in advance to see if I possibly got a live sonics game.

I will always remember the 96 finals, I stayed up past my bedtime to see the finals on free to air tv at midnight. Now I couldn't care less about the NBA.
S0yb3anB0y
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#9 » by S0yb3anB0y » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:20 am

I do feel a void in my life. It's just not the same. I am a huge NBA fan that BLEED Seattle Super Sonics and it really doesn't feel the same when I go on Realgm or any NBA sport sites anymore. Usually, I would be overly analyzing the moves like "Philly signing Brand" but headlines like that doesn't excite me. It's just freaken weird. I saw headlines about Westbrook, Green, and Durant doing well in the SL games and I have this love hate feeling. I really want them to do well but at the same time, I want them to SUCK. I really don't know how to feel right now. At first, I started to point figures at everyone, now I feel like I have myself to blame because I voted for those **** that are in office. Nothing against OKC but I pray that Shultz win his lawsuit and bring back the team.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#10 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:42 pm

^But I thought you were jumping the OKC wagon, Soy?

Isn't that what you said in your "Don't Blame Clay" thread?
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#11 » by wiff » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:44 pm

Sonics3408 wrote:The very last shred of hope I have left is held by a man whose name I previously never wanted to hear in association with my team.

Ain't that the truth.

Heck I helped pay for an airplane banner that said "SELL THE TEAM GO SONICS". Obviously I wasn't wanting Howard to sell it to an out of state buyer.

But the only reason why I am still in this forum is because I am hanging on by a thread with hopes that Shultz can pull off this miracle.

I do feel a void but hopefully Mister Coffee can bring home the prize.

Hey Soy are you Bi-Polar? Your posts are all over the map.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,176

Post#12 » by Huskies1947 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:12 pm

You can always jump on the Raptors fanwagon...

We are a hardcore fanbase that has supported a team that has jabbed at a lot ever since 1995. Basically an underdog team in every way.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eEF_r9m0zpM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJQBCSAdHZ8

I'd like to think we are just as loud as Seattle fans were.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jLZfxoNvM6A

We hate vince carter...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTEdXH5ikGU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqD9XiMNv0&NR=1

and now we got Bosh and JO :)
S0yb3anB0y
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#13 » by S0yb3anB0y » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:23 pm

jenn_gp wrote:^But I thought you were jumping the OKC wagon, Soy?

Isn't that what you said in your "Don't Blame Clay" thread?

NO YOU ARE WRONG. I just can't blame them for the Sonics leaving Seattle. They (as a whole) wanted the sonics much more than us (as a whole). They are willing to pay the price for the sonics and are much more supportive of one another. Let's not talk about it. I really don't know what I am saying these days.

I JUST HOPE SHULTZ win his DAM case and bring back MY TEAM.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#14 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:32 pm

S0yb3anB0y wrote:Let's not talk about it. I really don't know what I am saying these days.

I can tell, you're all over the place. Listen, I'm missing NBA basketball as much as anyone in here, it hurts a lot more than I thought it would. Before I said there is no way I would want a replacement team. But now that what I thought was impossible actually happened (Sonics moving), a huge part of me misses arguing about petty things. I miss the Luke vs. Earl discussions, the talks about signing free agents, who we should trade, etc.

In your post, you insinuated that Clay and the people of OKC want Sonics basketball more than we do collectively as a group. I refuse to believe that. Don't lump "us" fans into the local and state government. That is not fair. They are completely two different groups.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball