Fantasy Basketball

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Fantasy Basketball 

Post#41 » by Sweezo » Thu Oct 9, 2008 1:36 am

Dick Tate wrote:
S0yb3anB0y wrote:But if you get at least 12 players by Friday, let's keep the draft day.

If the league ends up being filled out with OKC fans (thanks to your invite on their board), then i'm probably out. That wasn't what I had in mind. I'm not interested in hobnobbing with a bunch of jackhole rustlers.

Are you serious? I was going to join it...now, not so much.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#42 » by BenjaminH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:01 am

Yeah, I'm against OKC fans. But as moderator, I couldn't I just not allow them to join (if we could pick out the Seattle fans from the OKC fans, that is)?

Soy Bean Boy, when I encouraged you to Sonics fans about the league, I mean Seattle Sonics fans.

This looks like a problem, but not an insurmountable one. I will also post a message on the League discussion board asking OKC fans to quit the league.

As for Dick's suggestion, yeah, let's push back the draft date.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by BenjaminH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:36 am

Sweezo wrote:How the hell did you find him? I just joined on there today for some reason...I'm pretty easy to locate.

Our full names were revealed when we emailed trade proposals last year. Well my email account would say: you've received an email from [Ex-Hippie's full name]. I assume that is how he found my name. And then he probably remembered it and searched for me in Facebook.

Okay, I made a post on our league board asking OKC fans to quit and I sent the same thing out on a league email. Hopefully, this will take care of it. (So, you should still join, Sweezo, and you shouldn't quit, Dick.) If we still have a problem, as moderator I can kick them out, right?

Also, Oz Sonics, your comments are not falling on deaf ears. The reason I haven't done anything, honestly, is because I've just been very busy. Also, because I"m relatively new to Fantasy Sports (last season was my first), I don't really understand the dynamics of stat categories. If you'd like, perhaps you could take my place as commissioner, co-commission, or something.

I'm not going to have time to change the stat categories by Friday (because I'm swamped). But I will push back the draft date so we'll still have plenty of time to change them. Now it will be Sunday the 26th.

Everyone, I really don't want this league to die! Please don't quit. We'll make it work.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#44 » by OzSonic » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:07 am

Also, Oz Sonics, your comments are not falling on deaf ears. The reason I haven't done anything, honestly, is because I've just been very busy. Also, because I"m relatively new to Fantasy Sports (last season was my first), I don't really understand the dynamics of stat categories. If you'd like, perhaps you could take my place as commissioner, co-commission, or something.

If you need help just send me an e-mail. All you have to do is click "CommishTools" (top right corner under StatTracker)

Then click "Edit Roster Positions" to add more positions and "Edit Stat Categories" to add more cats
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by BenjaminH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:18 am

Thanks. Yeah, I'm figuring it out tonight. I think I'll be okay, but I might ask for your help once in a while. I also wanted to make sure you know your comments are not falling on deaf ears - as far as I'm concerned, you can choose the stat categories. But since we've pushed the draft date back, lets leave time for some discussion and see if anyone else wants to chime in.

On a related note, I was more concerned about which categories would be best to add. That is what I was talking about when I expressed my worries about being new to this.
BernardC
Sophomore

Post#46 » by BernardC » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 am

plx dont kick me out lol
OzSonic
Starter

Post#47 » by OzSonic » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:31 am

BenjaminH wrote:On a related note, I was more concerned about which categories would be best to add. That is what I was talking about when I expressed my worries about being new to this.

I think a Foul Stat is a must. Last season we had issues with people trading in and out every day to get extra stats. Having a negative stat evens it up a little. More games = more fouls which is a penalty.

You could throw another interesting one in there like Flagrant Fouls. I have it in my other league I am commish in. It's going to be tough to monitor that one, a lot of luck involved.

3pt% should be a must also especially after last season, it's a tough one to keep on top of and opens the league up a lot. It's another one that can hurt mangers that make too many moves.
S0yb3anB0y
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#48 » by S0yb3anB0y » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:05 am

Dick Tate wrote:
S0yb3anB0y wrote:But if you get at least 12 players by Friday, let's keep the draft day.

If the league ends up being filled out with OKC fans (thanks to your invite on their board), then i'm probably out. That wasn't what I had in mind. I'm not interested in hobnobbing with a bunch of jackhole rustlers.

HEY GUYS. I AM REALLY SORRY. I made a bonehead mistake in attempt to savage the league before the draft deadline. I jumped the gun and didn't consult with you guys before I carried out my actions. Please join.

Ben, I am really sorry man. I panicked.
S0yb3anB0y
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#49 » by S0yb3anB0y » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:09 am

BernardC wrote:plx dont kick me out lol

With all due respect Bernard, I am very sorry for inviting you and your fellow thunder fans. Please understand that it is not because you are an OKC Thunder fan that you can't join but the fantasy league is for the regular/loyal sonics fan. It was my mistake for not considering that.

You can ask the Thunder supports to start a league of their own. It's not too late.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by BenjaminH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 pm

I think Bernard was here beforehand.

Soy Bean Boy, I'm not upset. We can fix it. But perhaps you could edit/delete your post on the OKC board. That would help.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,875

Post#51 » by Dick Tate » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:37 pm

It’s cool, Soy. I agree that at least the league info should be edited. Start up an empty league with a bunch of crazy rules and send them there, lol.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by BenjaminH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:15 pm

OzSonic wrote:
BenjaminH wrote:On a related note, I was more concerned about which categories would be best to add. That is what I was talking about when I expressed my worries about being new to this.

I think a Foul Stat is a must. Last season we had issues with people trading in and out every day to get extra stats. Having a negative stat evens it up a little. More games = more fouls which is a penalty.

You could throw another interesting one in there like Flagrant Fouls. I have it in my other league I am commish in. It's going to be tough to monitor that one, a lot of luck involved.

3pt% should be a must also especially after last season, it's a tough one to keep on top of and opens the league up a lot. It's another one that can hurt mangers that make too many moves.

I don't think that roster-churning was that big of a problem last year. But, sure, it would be good to prevent it.

Another negative category (Fouls) is a good idea. I'm for that.

We could also limit the number of transactions and/or make it a weekly roster. This is something we should continue to discuss before the draft. (But I think if we have enough negative categories, there is no reason to limit the number of transactions and/or make it a weekly roster, which I think Oz is getting at.)

I'm not sure about flagrants. That would seem to just add negative value to a handful of players ... and would be unpredictable for the rest.

I don't really understand the argument for 3pt%. I'm not against it, but perhaps you could explain it a little further.

Oh, and increasing the roster size is probably good ... but of course, depends on whether we get some more teams in the league.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#53 » by OzSonic » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:12 pm

BenjaminH wrote:I don't think that roster-churning was that big of a problem last year. But, sure, it would be good to prevent it.

Ahh, yes it was.... :-?

BenjaminH wrote:Another negative category (Fouls) is a good idea. I'm for that.

Excellent!

BenjaminH wrote:We could also limit the number of transactions and/or make it a weekly roster. This is something we should continue to discuss before the draft. (But I think if we have enough negative categories, there is no reason to limit the number of transactions and/or make it a weekly roster, which I think Oz is getting at.)

I'm not sure what to do there, some more input from other managers would be good. I'm happy to leave it at unlimited. Last season I suggested 40 which is HEAPS!!! 30 would be an OK number and is my suggestion for the league.

BenjaminH wrote:I'm not sure about flagrants. That would seem to just add negative value to a handful of players ... and would be unpredictable for the rest.

That is why I added it to my league, you can't plan for it, it is totally unpredictable. To win it you just need luck and that is a good thing in a league.

BenjaminH wrote:I don't really understand the argument for 3pt%. I'm not against it, but perhaps you could explain it a little further.

It's bloody hard to get a good 3Pt% in todays NBA, most players just hike it up from all directions. It just means more thought goes into player selections. Last season was all totals, totals, totals. Not much thought went into roster construction. With another % stat it's a bit more complicated and IMO more fun. Just having positive total cats is...., well boring.

BenjaminH wrote:Oh, and increasing the roster size is probably good ... but of course, depends on whether we get some more teams in the league.

I don't know why you are waiting for more teams, last year we had quite a few and we only 9 positions which was far to small. Increasing to 12 is a must. People agree, I don't know why your hesitating.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#54 » by wiff » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:25 am

I did pretty well in my league last year placed second or third. Sonichound ended up winning it. I'm sure most of us remember Sonichound. Just one more fallen poster from this great forum. Part of me doesn't want to even play. I'm still bitter, but it's nice to keep in touch.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by BenjaminH » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:16 pm

Oz,

We debated roster-churning last year. If I remember, the teams that used the strategy were moderately successful but ultimately failed. They ended up finishing towards the middle of the league because of negative categories. While HeavyP, who pretty much neglected the league and left his roster unchanged all year, did about the same. But the whole debate is pretty moot. I agree that we should add some more negative categories. Making strategies for negative categories is just as challenging as positive categories. And that will prevent using the roster-churning strategy. So, we're on the same page here.

As for limiting the total number of transactions and/or making it a weekly roster, I could go either way. That is something we could discuss.

We agree that we should add more stat categories. Yes, let's add fouls. So, now let's discuss others:

I'm not so sure about your flagrant foul suggestion. Sure, it is good to have a little luck involved. But if a category is entirely unpredictable, it kind of takes the skill our of the competition. Why even play Fantasy Basketball? Why not just draw straws? At the same time, it is just one stat category ... so, I'm open to discussing this. If the majority want to add flagrant fouls, I guess that would be alright.

I sort of feel the same way about 3pt%, but, perhaps, not as strongly. It isn't quite as unpredictable ... Again something we should discuss. What do others think?

Any more ideas?

The reason I'm waiting to adjust the roster size is because we have plenty of time before the draft, so there is no reason to do it now. We agree that the roster size needs to be adjusted. But the number of teams will definitely play a role in the teams to roster ratio. For example, if we end up with, say, 14 teams, we may want less than 12 players each. Or, if we end up with, say, 6 teams, we may want more than 12 players each. Simply put, the number of teams will play a role in determining the team/roster ratio. Does that make sense?
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by BenjaminH » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 pm

Oh, speaking of roster size, I just looked at the league on Yahoo. It seems like we're doing pretty well. There are ten teams. It also seems like we pretty much took care of there potentially being OKC teams. There are three managers I don't recognize. One, I'm pretty sure is a Sonics fan. The other two are "TeamFAAACK!" (dbnba) and "Still Strong" (Vince Z).

By the way, did anyone advertise this league on other Sonics boards? I'm not familiar with any.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#57 » by OzSonic » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:00 am

BenjaminH wrote:Oz,

We debated roster-churning last year. If I remember, the teams that used the strategy were moderately successful but ultimately failed. They ended up finishing towards the middle of the league because of negative categories. While HeavyP, who pretty much neglected the league and left his roster unchanged all year, did about the same. But the whole debate is pretty moot. I agree that we should add some more negative categories. Making strategies for negative categories is just as challenging as positive categories. And that will prevent using the roster-churning strategy. So, we're on the same page here.

Hang on didn't you win the whole thing last year? You were one of the main culprits! Don't go saying it didn't play a role because clearly it did. I think 2nd or 3rd place also did their fare share of churning early on as well. :oops: I'm glad you think that a negative catergory would be a benefit.

BenjaminH wrote:I'm not so sure about your flagrant foul suggestion. Sure, it is good to have a little luck involved. But if a category is entirely unpredictable, it kind of takes the skill our of the competition. Why even play Fantasy Basketball? Why not just draw straws? At the same time, it is just one stat category ... so, I'm open to discussing this. If the majority want to add flagrant fouls, I guess that would be alright.

That was just a suggestion, I didn't say it was a must have. It's an interesting stat that is why I added it in my league. I like having a bit of luck involved. Maybe an Assist to TO ratio would be a better option? I had that one last year.

BenjaminH wrote:I sort of feel the same way about 3pt%, but, perhaps, not as strongly. It isn't quite as unpredictable ... Again something we should discuss. What do others think?

It is not that unpredictable it just takes more planning. As I said I don't want to be in another league with just totals, totals and more totals. There is very little skill in that.

BenjaminH wrote:The reason I'm waiting to adjust the roster size is because we have plenty of time before the draft, so there is no reason to do it now. We agree that the roster size needs to be adjusted. But the number of teams will definitely play a role in the teams to roster ratio. For example, if we end up with, say, 14 teams, we may want less than 12 players each. Or, if we end up with, say, 6 teams, we may want more than 12 players each. Simply put, the number of teams will play a role in determining the team/roster ratio. Does that make sense?

14, 15, 16 teams I really think it should be a 12 deep roster. Having 9 last year was far to easy if someone was injured there was always a pretty good player there waiting for them to replace. Having less players to choose from the waiver wire makes the manger look a little deeper into the list. Injuries play a part in the outcome of an NBA team, why shouldn't they play a part in our league?
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,875

Post#58 » by Dick Tate » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:11 am

OzSonic wrote:Hang on didn't you win the whole thing last year? You were one of the main culprits! Don't go saying it didn't play a role because clearly it did. I think 2nd or 3rd place also did their fare share of churning early on as well.

I finished 2nd and I credit it to the game hoarding strategy that I used during the first half of the season. I stopped doing it when others complained, but my game totals at the end of the season had a major factor with finishing 2nd. If I had hoarded all season long, I might’ve won.

I really think y’all should consider my weekly line-up games/stat averaging suggestion. That would put everyone on an even level and prevent any sort of aggressive stat hoarding play like I employed last season.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by BenjaminH » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:42 pm

Oz: Oh, I didn't consider myself to be one of the culprits. Not even Dick, really. I was thinking of those who changed their rosters daily to maximize the number of games played, like Insert Humor and Return of the King. But, regardless, we won't have that problem this year.

I like your A/T ratio better than flagrants. That one isn't as unpredictable, but still pretty tough.

As for 3pt%, I said, I don't have very strong feelings. So, let's hear from others.

Also, you think it should go 12 deep no matter what? Huh, maybe. I would like to have a few decent players available off waivers. Not as many as last year. I was thinking the team/roster ratio should be somewhere in between what we had last year and what you're suggesting now, Oz. I don't know. I guess I'm willing to discuss this. What do others think?

Dick: Do you want to do weekly lineups on top of adding the negative categories? I think adding the negative categories would take care of any potential roster-churning problems. And the reason not to do a weekly lineup is that maximizing one's games efficiently, I think, involves a lot of skill. Like you have to have plenty of position flexibility. (And, of course, you can't sit on injured players.)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#60 » by Sweezo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:37 am

BenjaminH wrote:
Sweezo wrote:How the hell did you find him? I just joined on there today for some reason...I'm pretty easy to locate.

Our full names were revealed when we emailed trade proposals last year. Well my email account would say: you've received an email from [Ex-Hippie's full name]. I assume that is how he found my name. And then he probably remembered it and searched for me in Facebook.

Ahhh...I noticed you e-mail in my junk mail but forgot to save it. I was thinking of adding some of my Sonic faithful if they didn't mind.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball