Could you guys lure the Grizzliees here?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Could you guys lure the Grizzliees here? 

Post#1 » by Assassin_1 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:15 pm

The are having trouble with not having enough fans and they are trying to re locate so do you think they could come here. Because there are lots of great fans here that will be really excited to see the new version of The Seattle Supersonics here again. So what are the chances?
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Re: Could you guys lure the Grizzliees here? 

Post#2 » by jenn_gp » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:18 pm

Let me just preface this topic with how I truly feel:
I am not in favor of taking another city's team and bringing them here as a replacement team. I would hate to do that to someone else, especially after knowing how it feels and the utter shock of the whole situation has been too much the past few months.

HOWEVER, if the team isn't doing well in the city and it isn't being heavily supported by the community on a consistent basis, in this case, the Grizzlies have not really been supported since they relocated from Vancouver...let's just say I wouldn't mind being the city that takes the team off their hands.

Recently Gary Payton has come out to speak about being a catalyst to bringing the NBA back to Seattle. He listed specific teams that are hurting (economically and fan base wise) and the three teams he pin pointed were the Grizzlies (of course), the Bucks, and the Hornets. If it was me, I would not include Milwaukee on the list..they are a long running franchise and hopefully they can bounce back once the economy does. Whether you want to believe it or not, Seattle does have a few options if they are not given a replacement team within the next few years. I'd say watch out once the Grizzlies are available to move...but again this all depends on the city and Washington state government and their ability to provide a RENOVATED/NEW arena for the team to play in.

Without a new or improved arena, none of this matters. In addition, we need a group or individual who is willing to step forward to invest in a new team. Hopefully the Ballmer group is still available if getting a new team is an option within the next few years.
Personally I would rather just start fresh with a privately funded brand new arena. If the Key is renovated, that gives Stern and his ball sucking buddies the ability to come back to us within 10 years saying the arena is insufficent and needs remodeling. I'd like to avoid that as much as possible so we aren't stuck in the same situation as we were the past two years.

As much as I'd like to say I would ban myself from watching the NBA again (which I will do for now), if Seattle does get a new Sonics team, I will be at the arena opening night, ready to cheer whatever team it may be on.

/long rant.

EDIT: I noticed I said "publically funded brand new arena." I mean a privately funded arena.
Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Post#3 » by Assassin_1 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:48 am

I hope you guys do get a team back here and if it is the Hornets that would be great you guys get to watch CP3 run a amazing show, I really hope you get a team back here in the next 3-4 years.
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#4 » by Rooster » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Seeing the Grizzlies leave Vancouver hurt for me. Seeing that team back in the Pacific Northwest would be poetic.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball