Keeping up with the NBA's attendance

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Keeping up with the NBA's attendance 

Post#1 » by wiff » Sat Nov 8, 2008 9:34 am

Here's the link for attendance this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Personally I'm keeping an eye on Memphis. Their second home game was completely empty. I can't imagine more that 6 thousand people actually came through their doors.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Re: Keeping up with the NBA's attendance 

Post#2 » by jenn_gp » Sun Nov 9, 2008 6:30 pm

Interesting stats Wiff.

I may be wrong about this cause I'm sicker than a dog and trying to plan out my teaching week..but the 13,130 is the average attendance over the first two games. You can't divide that in half yet again (your 6,000+ number). They've had a total of 26,260 for two games...13,000+ is actually how many people per game have come for each game.
Unless you're going by how many people you think you saw when you caught one of their games on TV or something.

I'm actually surprised about Sacramento being last. They generally have a pretty great fanbase..loud and roudy. Used to remind me of how we were in the mid 90's.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#3 » by EasternMagic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:19 am

You guys have great attendence for such a young developing team, i guess being in a new city contributes to that, but I've been watching some of your games on league pass and it always looks sold out. How is the stadium?
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#4 » by jenn_gp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:12 am

^You are aware that this is the SEATTLE forum..not OKC.

There is a separate OKC board...we have no clue about the Ford Center in OKC. My guess is that obviously it's the new thing in town..of course they're going to have great attendance to start out.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,874

Post#5 » by Dick Tate » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:51 pm

http://okc.realgm.com/

Check out the links at the bottom of that page and you'll see why people think they're posting on an OKC board.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#6 » by jenn_gp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:34 pm

^Well maybe common sense just needs to follow through here. If you're a fan of the NBA, which I'm assuming if you sign up for realgm.com, you know a thing or two about the NBA, and you know the recent events that have transpired between Seattle and OKC.

If you know the forums well enough, then you also know that there is an OKC board full of people from the area. Of couse people posting in a Sonics forum aren't going to know anything about the Ford Center in OKC. Again, common sense needs to prevail here.

If your eyes can read the forum heading "Seattle Supersonics" in the top right corner of these forums, by golly it appears you're in the wrong joint to discuss OKC Thunder basketball. That's just my feelings. Some may think I'm being too harsh about this but again, it comes down to common sense and figuring out where you're posting before you post your thoughts.
Dick Tate
Starter

Post#7 » by Dick Tate » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:51 am

Tell RealGM about common sense. How hard is it for them to change the damn links? This has been going on for four freakin' months now!
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#8 » by jenn_gp » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:30 am

Again, I get it Dick. Realgm needs to reconfigure or separate our forum from OKC. But the fact still remains that when you click on a given topic using the link you provided, it still tells you what forum you're posting in on the top right hand corner. If people would use their eyes to read the provided information, this kind of stuff wouldn't be a problem for the time being..until realgm "fixes" our links with OKC's..if they ever will.

That's using common sense :D
Dick Tate
Starter

Post#9 » by Dick Tate » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:43 am

I suppose. However, if I were a Magic fan perusing the OKC team page, and I see links at the bottom of the page under the heading "Latest OKC Discussions", and I click on a post about attendance,... I wouldn't be bothering to check on the top right corner to see if I was in the OKC forum... common sense would suggest that I was already there. :)
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#10 » by jenn_gp » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:09 am

I guess that separates you from me :wink: .

Just kidding. But seriously, I would check.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#11 » by wiff » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 am

jenn_gp wrote:Interesting stats Wiff.

I may be wrong about this cause I'm sicker than a dog and trying to plan out my teaching week..but the 13,130 is the average attendance over the first two games. You can't divide that in half yet again (your 6,000+ number). They've had a total of 26,260 for two games...13,000+ is actually how many people per game have come for each game.
Unless you're going by how many people you think you saw when you caught one of their games on TV or something.

I'm actually surprised about Sacramento being last. They generally have a pretty great fanbase..loud and roudy. Used to remind me of how we were in the mid 90's.

I guess the way I was looking at it Jenn is that considering most teams have sell out for the opening night I figured. Out of the 26,260 people over the first two games, that on opening night they probably were close to a sell out of 18,119. So that leaves around 8,000 people there for the second night. Of course I could be wrong but let me tell you this I have never seen an NBA court so empty. Especially at the start of the season. It's not like they a 30 games out of first or anything like that yet.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#12 » by wiff » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:36 am

So I looked up the actual per game attendance and the first game they had 16,139 and the second game they had 10,121.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#13 » by jenn_gp » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:19 pm

Ah, your reasoning makes total sense Wiff.

So the Grizzlies didn't even sell out their home opener?! The longer we go without a team, the more I'm going to say this....I will support any team if we get the NBA back.

This is coming from someone who said (while the Sonics were still here) that she wouldn't want to steal another city's team. But the season has begun and it's really starting to hurt not being able to go to watch any Sonics basketball. It also appears to be the only way we can get a new team. And I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? I feel disgraceful talking like this but we were the victims in the NBA's dirty game, I guess if we really want it we have to play dirty too.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#14 » by wiff » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:44 pm

Hey Jenn notice how far the Grizzel's attendance has droped in their last two home game. Close to 1500 people. They are now sitting at the lowest in the league. Under 12k.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#15 » by bennith13 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:29 pm

Last night was the first time this year that I watched close to a full NBA game, I would take anyone's team at this point. Not having a team sucks, especially when all of the other teams in Seattle are terrible. I do think the Grizz are the most likely to be moved here.

PS. how great does it feel that okc is so so bad? I know I am loving it.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#16 » by jenn_gp » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:05 pm

^Bennith you should join our facebook group.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by bennith13 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:03 pm

What is the group called? Can I just search for it?
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by bennith13 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Nevermind, I think I found it.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#19 » by jenn_gp » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Cool. It's a closed group, but I'm wondering if I should say the name. You never know if Larbrd is lurking out there.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by bennith13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah, I found it. I am waiting to accepted.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball