ImageImageImageImageImage

Rank the season based on what you wanted

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

What grade would this season be to you?

-
5%
+
5%
A
5%
B
23%
C
20%
D
14%
E
3%
F
26%

Total votes: 65

KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,460

Re: Rank the season based on what you wanted 

Post#21 » by KL78192020 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:44 pm

C for the weak tank job, which remains to be seen, could be an F if we lose the pick. Would've been 'A' with a top 3 pick.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,717

Post#22 » by SFour » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:29 pm

can't rank it until we know if we keep the pick or not

but aside from the tank:
- Barnes took the leap that was expected
- OG trade was good
- Siakam trade was meh but better than nothing
- Dick isn't a bust

it was a disappointing season but a top 4 pick would make up for it.
binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,719

Post#23 » by binjumper » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:40 pm

KL78192020 wrote:C for the weak tank job, which remains to be seen, could be an F if we lose the pick. Would've been 'A' with a top 3 pick.

I don't see how losing that pick negates what we have already. With the raptors record of drafting non lottery picks I am fine with top 6 or 17.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,607

Post#24 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:23 pm

Gave it an F, could possibly bump it to a D (since E doesn't exist in the grading matrix lol) if I were to be a bit more forgiving. Overall they did things I was hoping they would do, but always reluctantly and later than they should.

Trades should have happened in the off season, the approach is not to rebuild, but rather retool as Masai is want to do all the time. We loaded up on picks in a draft year that is consistently being panned almost unanimously and after trading our own. We "tanked" when our hand was forced due to injuries, and now have 3/5 of our starting 5 playing major minutes despite the season being well beyond over.
Props TZ!
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,102

Post#25 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:27 pm

Scase wrote:Gave it an F, could possibly bump it to a D (since E doesn't exist in the grading matrix lol) if I were to be a big more forgiving. Overall they did things I was hoping they would do, but always reluctantly and later than they should.

Trades should have happened in the off season, the approach is not to rebuild, but rather retool as Masai is want to do all the time. We loaded up on picks in a draft year that is consistently being panned almost unanimously and after trading our own. We "tanked" when our hand was forced due to injuries, and now have 3/5 of our starting 5 playing major minutes despite the season being well beyond over.

So they did things you were hoping they would do and still gave it an F?
Sure they did it a little late, but the OP asked to rank THIS season based on what you wanted to see take place.

Masai did fine with the trades as well. Idk, F just doesn't sound like a fair rating.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Scase
RealGM

Post#26 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:41 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Scase wrote:Gave it an F, could possibly bump it to a D (since E doesn't exist in the grading matrix lol) if I were to be a big more forgiving. Overall they did things I was hoping they would do, but always reluctantly and later than they should.

Sure they did it a little late, but the OP asked to rank THIS season based on what you wanted to see take place.

Masai did fine with the trades as well. Idk, F just doesn't sound like a fair rating.

Yeah if you ignore the other like 5 sentences I typed out.

If the car in front of you slams on the brakes, hitting your brakes isn't as important as WHEN you hit your brakes. Slamming on the brakes after you've already rear ended them is pointless.

How is this confusing? They did things late, and it worked out worse, so they get a bad grade. And again, they are still playing 3/5 starters major minutes, that is not tanking, so no they aren't doing what I wanted.
Props TZ!
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,007

Post#27 » by NinjaBro » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:23 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:A+. Fvv and Nurse are gone. Scottie taking a leap. Great return for OG who was leaving anyways. Don't have to pay Siakam supermax. Masai choosing a direction. I got everything I wanted.

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson

Beacon of positivity right here!
Fvv and Nurse leaving was enough for me to give it an A+. The rest is just a bonus.

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
BBS22
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,083

Post#28 » by BBS22 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:36 pm

Solid C.

This team came in with multiple question marks from coach, roster, draft situation. A lot of it has shaken out to so-so results.

Pros:
I like Barnes development overall. Looks like he's having fun. I wouldn't say the team in playing unwatchable basketball, just don't have the skill to compete. Which very different from last season. Ball is finding energy and getting passed around.

Cons:
The return for OG/Pascal were fine. Nothing wowing on paper or outright theft, I wouldn't say we lost either, belongs in the con section just because the standard should be higher.

TBD:
Coach is a mystery. This could have gone as a con but I'll be generous and say that with some time under his belt we'll see more. There's basically 2 types of coaches in this league: developmental (Casey) and contender (people person like Doc or tactical variety Nurse). Few coaches can be both (Spo, Pops). If you're neither then your time in the league is short. Which one is ours? Don't know yet.

The biggest is the draft. We don't need to bring up the Poe trade again, I've made my thoughts known on it multiple times time to look forward. We don't know if this pick is ours. We don't know if we even want this pick. If the scouts are right, then I rather punch my ticket in the lottery for next year with superstar talent rather than this year. I'm hopeful whoever we end up drafting, in whichever year, will be a franchise altering talent. Don't care if it's pick 1 or pick 60.

Thanks Tubrozone!
HKBOY
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,555

Post#29 » by HKBOY » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:32 am

B for now but A if we end up with a top 4 pick and C if we lose our pick.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,957

Post#30 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:07 am

D. The IQ/Barret trade, Scottie taking a step forward, and Gradey showing he belongs kept the season from being a clear cut F.

Could have been a C if Scottie had really proven himself ready as a clear franchise cornerstone by keeping up his 3pt shooting and at least shooting at league average inside the three point line and showing some ability to finish and draw fouls. Having questions about Scottie's viability as the franchise guy makes it tough to fully buy in to everything else the FO and coaching staff did this year, with pretty much all the major moves (coaching and schemes, pieces brought in through trade) designed around Scottie as the franchise cornerstone.

Next season is all about him, fingers crossed.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,823

Post#31 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:26 am

A+ if we had our pick.

Right now, though, it's anywhere from an F to an A+, depending on how the lottery balls bounce.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,078

Post#32 » by Drakeem » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:15 pm

I'm unusually high on IQ and Barrett so I'll give it a B.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,335

Post#33 » by brownbobcat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:22 pm

Scase wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

If the car in front of you slams on the brakes, hitting your brakes isn't as important as WHEN you hit your brakes. Slamming on the brakes after you've already rear ended them is pointless.

How is this confusing? They did things late, and it worked out worse, so they get a bad grade. And again, they are still playing 3/5 starters major minutes, that is not tanking, so no they aren't doing what I wanted.

Exactly, are we grading based on what happened before the crash or after? This train-wreck was already set in motion last year.

1. I'm glad that Scottie made significant improvements, that's far and away the most important thing.
2. Masai had 2 major decisions to make on trading Siakam + OG. Overall, B-.
3. Gradey? TBD, showed some flashes but nothing etched in stone yet.
4. Everything else - mehhh, didn't matter anyway.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,279

Post#34 » by Childs » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:32 pm

B I guess. Potentially losing the pick is going to make it worse.
Scase
RealGM

Post#35 » by Scase » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:51 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Scase wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Exactly, are we grading based on what happened before the crash or after? This train-wreck was already set in motion last year.

1. I'm glad that Scottie made significant improvements, that's far and away the most important thing.
2. Masai had 2 major decisions to make on trading Siakam + OG. Overall, B-.
3. Gradey? TBD, showed some flashes but nothing etched in stone yet.
4. Everything else - mehhh, didn't matter anyway.

Exactly, without the context it's such a pointless argument to get into, complaining about someone elses ranking.

It's like saying you planned on having your expenses be lower this year, you should grade it an A because your expenses went down. But the context is, cause you lost your house and are now homeless. Hooray, no more mortgage!
Props TZ!
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,339

Post#36 » by Shakril » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:45 am

Tanking was the worst possible option and you see it on the court. If we dont convey the pick it will be even worse.

Return to Toronto Raptors