ImageImageImageImageImage

Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package // ESPN/AMAZON/NBC - 11 YEARS $76 BILLION Update Pg. 9

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 16,466

Re: Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package // TNT is out, NBC starts 25/26 update pg 6. 

Post#161 » by ForeverTFC » Fri May 24, 2024 9:26 pm

DoctaJ wrote:
ciueli wrote:I'm trying to figure out what this means for watching the NBA in Canada going forward since I'm seeing conflicting information in different places. I fear this will mean the end of just needing a cable subscription in Canada to watch 100% of Raptor games and 100% of playoff games, that's what it seems like will happen thanks to the NBA bringing Amazon into the picture. If so, it's still unclear as to just what games will end up being lost.

It's just really weird to me that everyone is so concerned with NBC stealing the NBA away from TNT when the real news is Amazon stripping important games away from cable.

Interested in this point as well.

From how the last article I read was written - it seemed like I would need all 3 (Amazon, ESPN, NBC - or CAN equivalents) to watch all playoffs games? If that's the case - I'm out. I'm frustrated enough needing TSN and Sportsnet to watch the games I want + trying to figure out what game is on what. And then finding out I actually needed NBATV Canada to watch the one I wanted.

greekman wrote:the tnt games were shown on sportsnet. will the amazon ones also be on sportsnet ?

Most likely, Amazon games will be simulcast by Sportsnet or TSN in Canada, similar to how their games are treated today. Canadian networks have the right to simulcast the national non Raptors games that these guys get. Raptors games are not exclusive in Canada so they will have all their Raptors games and their own broadcasts even if it is part of the national package as well.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,555

Re: Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package // TNT is out, NBC starts 25/26 update pg 6. 

Post#162 » by JB7 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:12 pm

Chalky_White wrote:
dTox wrote:This may not jive well with some, but I am looking forward to the NBC production.....maybe it's just me looking fondly at my childhood memories sitting on the couch watching triple and quadruple headers, and those Netzero commercials. I would gladly sub TNT in for ESPN, their production sucks and halftime crew is just horrendous (especially since it includes the likes of SAS), give me Chuck + Ernie instead.

This is an aspect that many are overlooking. NBC's NBA coverage made every game "feel" like a big-time event, even during the regular season. Their NFL coverage is similar. The Sunday night NBC NFL broadcasts are light years better than the Monday Night ESPN/ABC broadcast. Amazon's coverage should similarly be very good. I don't understand Disney's logic in paying billions in TV rights just to produce a garbage product.

Overall, I think NBA fans will end up coming out better even with losing TNT.

If NBC wants to bring back that big-time event feel, they need to bring back the 90's Bulls starting lineup theme song, for the intros.

[url][/url]
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 45,781

Post#163 » by WuTang_OG » Fri May 24, 2024 10:25 pm

JB7 wrote:
Chalky_White wrote:
dTox wrote:This may not jive well with some, but I am looking forward to the NBC production.....maybe it's just me looking fondly at my childhood memories sitting on the couch watching triple and quadruple headers, and those Netzero commercials. I would gladly sub TNT in for ESPN, their production sucks and halftime crew is just horrendous (especially since it includes the likes of SAS), give me Chuck + Ernie instead.

This is an aspect that many are overlooking. NBC's NBA coverage made every game "feel" like a big-time event, even during the regular season. Their NFL coverage is similar. The Sunday night NBC NFL broadcasts are light years better than the Monday Night ESPN/ABC broadcast. Amazon's coverage should similarly be very good. I don't understand Disney's logic in paying billions in TV rights just to produce a garbage product.

Overall, I think NBA fans will end up coming out better even with losing TNT.

If NBC wants to bring back that big-time event feel, they need to bring back the 90's Bulls starting lineup theme song, for the intros.

[url][/url]

this is a shyt remix of it
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 55,441

Post#164 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 25, 2024 11:10 am

ciueli wrote:I'm trying to figure out what this means for watching the NBA in Canada going forward since I'm seeing conflicting information in different places. I fear this will mean the end of just needing a cable subscription in Canada to watch 100% of Raptor games and 100% of playoff games, that's what it seems like will happen thanks to the NBA bringing Amazon into the picture. If so, it's still unclear as to just what games will end up being lost.

It's just really weird to me that everyone is so concerned with NBC stealing the NBA away from TNT when the real news is Amazon stripping important games away from cable.

Most sports streaming services are banned in Canada. I'm assuming Rogers/Bell will still have exclusive rights to the NBA here, so you'll still be able to get all your Raptors games with a $200/month cable subscription.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 55,441

Post#165 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 25, 2024 11:15 am

earth007 wrote:Do you guys think Ernie, Shaq and Chuck together would join one of those broadcasts? Otherwise this is going to suck. That crew can never be replaced by anyone else.

Amazon should hire them.
2019nbachamps
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,913

Post#166 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat May 25, 2024 11:27 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
earth007 wrote:Do you guys think Ernie, Shaq and Chuck together would join one of those broadcasts? Otherwise this is going to suck. That crew can never be replaced by anyone else.

Amazon should hire them.

Despite Ernie’s loyalty, every man has a price. Also I don’t see why he can’t stay with TNT and sign a contract elsewhere to do NBA broadcasts.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 68,518

Post#167 » by djsunyc » Sat May 25, 2024 2:46 pm

everything runs its course and time for some new blood.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#168 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Jun 5, 2024 1:48 pm

Read on Twitter

The NBA’s new media deal was always going to be big, but nobody predicted just how massive the league’s financial gains would be. A report from the Wall Street Journal indicates that the agreed to deal with NBC, ESPN and Amazon will be 11 years, $76 BILLION — shattering even the high-end of expectations.

The figure averages out to just over $6.9B a year, representing a 265 percent increase over what the NBA was getting from Warner Bros. Discovery, ESPN and ABC. The parent company of TNT, as well as Disney had been paying a combined $2.6B a year to air NBA games. The agreement with Warner Bros. Discovery was part of an uninterrupted deal that started in 1988 with TNT in cable’s infancy. This new contract marks the first time the NBA has truly jumped ship to new networks in almost 40 years, which as fans have mourned, will mean the end of the legendary Inside the NBA due to the talent having existing contracts with Warner Bros. Discovery.

It has been hoped from the Warner camp that they would be able to find a way to keep their NBA programming, but ultimately the figure simply got too high. The triumvirate who are set to gain the rights represent three of the biggest conglomerates in the United States, with Comcast (NBC), Disney (ESPN), and Amazon all having access to funds that Warners Bros. Discovery simply couldn’t match.

It’s unclear at this time how games will be split up, or what agreement each proposed stakeholder has to air games. In addition it remains to be seen how elements of the NBA’s business like NBA League Pass or local market games will operate under this new deal. One thing is clear, however: Players are about to benefit in ways he have never, ever seen before.

Players must receive 50 percent of any media deal under the collective bargaining agreement reached with the NBPA, which runs through the 2029-30 season. It’s important to note that funds from the new TV deal wouldn’t be reflected in the salary cap until the 2025-26 season, at which point they would be rolled out as incremental 10 percent increases year-over-year for the life of the deal.
MAD ROB
Senior
And1: 228

Re: Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package // ESPN/AMAZON/NBC - 11 YEARS $76 BILLION Update Pg. 9 

Post#169 » by MAD ROB » Wed Jun 5, 2024 2:23 pm

By my calculations by the time the current CBA runs out the cap will go from $150 with super max salaries starting at $53M per season..to $242M with super max salaries starting at $85M per season...by the end of the new media deal those numbers will be north of $280M and $100M respectively.
YOU TALKIN 'BOUT CUBA?
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,555

Re: Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package // ESPN/AMAZON/NBC - 11 YEARS $76 BILLION Update Pg. 9 

Post#170 » by JB7 » Wed Jun 5, 2024 2:30 pm

Do the players get screwed with this phase in? The new media deal will immediately bring in the almost $7B per year, but if the increase is being phased in at 10% per year, are players going to lose out on their 50% share while it is being phased in?
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,692

Post#171 » by douggood » Wed Jun 5, 2024 2:46 pm

JB7 wrote:Do the players get screwed with this phase in? The new media deal will immediately bring in the almost $7B per year, but if the increase is being phased in at 10% per year, are players going to lose out on their 50% share while it is being phased in?

1 - its doesn't start at 7 bil per year, it increases per year, lets say $5, $5.5, $6, 6.5 ... etc (that's how it was last contract)
2 - the players get a payout of the difference. lets say the 10% raises the cap to $160, but the player are entitled to $200 cap for example. apx 25% higher, so each player at the end of the season will get a 25% bonus on top of their contract.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 28,204

Post#172 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jun 5, 2024 2:58 pm

douggood wrote:
JB7 wrote:Do the players get screwed with this phase in? The new media deal will immediately bring in the almost $7B per year, but if the increase is being phased in at 10% per year, are players going to lose out on their 50% share while it is being phased in?

1 - its doesn't start at 7 bil per year, it increases per year, lets say $5, $5.5, $6, 6.5 ... etc (that's how it was last contract)
2 - the players get a payout of the difference. lets say the 10% raises the cap to $160, but the player are entitled to $200 cap for example. apx 25% higher, so each player at the end of the season will get a 25% bonus on top of their contract.

Regarding #2 - I don't understand why contracts are not just negotiated as a % of the cap and then if cap goes up or down it is reflected that way.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,280

Post#173 » by mihaic » Wed Jun 5, 2024 3:52 pm

A few questions arise.
1. This does not cover the local team games, right?
2. Espn games will still go on Rogers and or Bell sport programming?
3. Will Amazon start charging for the NBA content?
MAD ROB
Senior
And1: 228

Post#174 » by MAD ROB » Wed Jun 5, 2024 3:58 pm

douggood wrote:

Yeah, I think it will go into an escrow account...the idea is that they don't want to see what happened in 2016 with the cap spike where the players who happened to be FAs that summer saw windfall and in later years FAs didn't get the same type of offers. With the 10% cap smoothing everyone sees the same type of FA market every year...and everyone get their bonus checks on top of things.
YOU TALKIN 'BOUT CUBA?
Econgrad
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#175 » by Econgrad » Wed Jun 5, 2024 5:32 pm

mihaic wrote:A few questions arise.

Amazon ain't paying $1.8 billion to give it away for free
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#176 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Jun 5, 2024 5:52 pm

Econgrad wrote:
mihaic wrote:A few questions arise.

Amazon ain't paying $1.8 billion to give it away for free

They don't charge for NFL. If you are a prime member, you will likely have access. Apple doesnt charge for MLB either

Amazon's target is to get more prime subscribers which is their core business since it branches it out into everything
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,583

Post#177 » by canada_dry » Wed Jun 5, 2024 8:43 pm

The contracts are gonna be huge.

We still have guys in here cringing at paying someone 26 mil calling it a huge overpay...

No foresight for what's coming. Thats gonna be peanuts.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#178 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Jun 6, 2024 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 25,179

Post#179 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Jun 6, 2024 3:10 pm

If this means I can watch on prime without additional subscriptions than my current one, then great. Otherwise I'll have to go to other methods.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,692

Post#180 » by douggood » Thu Jun 6, 2024 3:24 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:If this means I can watch on prime without additional subscriptions than my current one, then great. Otherwise I'll have to go to other methods.

these are all american tv deals
to my knowledge the amazon prime deal for nfl thursday was not available in canada. was on dazn here.

Return to Toronto Raptors