ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,841

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#541 » by Zeno » Thu May 23, 2024 11:40 pm

agkagk wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
agkagk wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.

10% per year over 5 years — whats the cap now — 142 …?

Still 14.2 in year one, then around 16.5, 17.2, 18.4, 20ish

Thats smart of the league to do it that way. Kinda bs for the players, but the gm’s historically have shown they need to be protected from themselves lol

Would the players not just be guaranteed a check that covers the 50% revenue split? I'm not sure how that gets divided, but I'm betting it gets put into the pension plan (saves players from themselves).

Ya that was exactly my next thought.

Players must be getting some kind of deferment, no?

From my understanding, if the amount of salary paid out to players falls below the agreed upon range then the difference is paid out to the players at the end of the accounting for that season. So there is no loss for the players doing it this way. It just stops one free agent class from getting vastly overpaid because of a dramatic jump in salaries.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
CazOnReal
Rookie
And1: 786

Post#542 » by CazOnReal » Fri May 24, 2024 12:48 am

Zeno wrote:
agkagk wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
Would the players not just be guaranteed a check that covers the 50% revenue split? I'm not sure how that gets divided, but I'm betting it gets put into the pension plan (saves players from themselves).

From my understanding, if the amount of salary paid out to players falls below the agreed upon range then the difference is paid out to the players at the end of the accounting for that season. So there is no loss for the players doing it this way. It just stops one free agent class from getting vastly overpaid because of a dramatic jump in salaries.

This is correct but one minor note: The organization itself does receive a penalty if they fail to meet the salary floor for a given season, similar to the penalty for not having a full roster though that one is completely separate i.e. a team can be penalized for not filling out roster slots even if one meets the floor.
billy_hoyle
Starter
And1: 1,289

Post#543 » by billy_hoyle » Fri May 24, 2024 2:12 am

CazOnReal wrote:
Zeno wrote:
agkagk wrote:

This is correct but one minor note: The organization itself does receive a penalty if they fail to meet the salary floor for a given season, similar to the penalty for not having a full roster though that one is completely separate i.e. a team can be penalized for not filling out roster slots even if one meets the floor.

Yes, I know the players get the money, but the 'how' is the question. Does it get divided up based on a players percentage of cap? Does it get split evenly between the teams, then dispersed to each team to pay out?
Zeno
RealGM

Post#544 » by Zeno » Fri May 24, 2024 2:31 am

billy_hoyle wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
Zeno wrote:From my understanding, if the amount of salary paid out to players falls below the agreed upon range then the difference is paid out to the players at the end of the accounting for that season. So there is no loss for the players doing it this way. It just stops one free agent class from getting vastly overpaid because of a dramatic jump in salaries.

Yes, I know the players get the money, but the 'how' is the question. Does it get divided up based on a players percentage of cap? Does it get split evenly between the teams, then dispersed to each team to pay out?

All I could find from Larry Coon’s FAQ is
If the players receive less than their guaranteed share of BRI, the league cuts a check to the players association for the difference, and this amount is distributed to the players (this happened in 2014-15, 2015-16, and 2016-17, under the 2011 CBA).

It doesn’t say the method the PA uses to distribute the funds but it is probably proportional to each players salary is my guess.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,812

Post#545 » by Psubs » Fri May 24, 2024 2:52 am

Zeno wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:This is correct but one minor note: The organization itself does receive a penalty if they fail to meet the salary floor for a given season, similar to the penalty for not having a full roster though that one is completely separate i.e. a team can be penalized for not filling out roster slots even if one meets the floor.

If the players receive less than their guaranteed share of BRI, the league cuts a check to the players association for the difference, and this amount is distributed to the players (this happened in 2014-15, 2015-16, and 2016-17, under the 2011 CBA).

It doesn’t say the method the PA uses to distribute the funds but it is probably proportional to each players salary is my guess.

If a team is say $15 million under the floor their penalty is $15 million to be disbursed evenly among the eligible roster players. So say $1milion would mean more to someone making $750,000 than someone making $40 million.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#546 » by Zeno » Fri May 24, 2024 2:56 am

Psubs wrote:
Zeno wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:

It's divided evenly among the eligible roster players. So $1milion would mean more to someone making $750,000 than someone making $40 million.

I know that is done for teams below the salary floor but I didn’t know they did that for when league wide salary is below the required percentage of BRI. Interesting.

Please advise….

Dan G.
Dyehardrapsfan
Junior
And1: 58

Post#547 » by Dyehardrapsfan » Fri May 24, 2024 6:43 pm

What’s going on Chris Boucher? Is out for the year or is he coming back?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,758

Post#548 » by Ell Curry » Fri May 24, 2024 9:19 pm

Wonder if we'll surprisingly trade Barrett. Might help the tank and I don't think Masai is sold on him at all. He is coming off a decent stretch for us. Odds are we won't do anything yet, but if he starts the season hot I could see it.

Brooklyn I could see as a destination. They could use more scoring, maybe a 3-way with Finney-Smith going to a contender and a pick from that team, a 20M-30M type of player and I guess Whitehead or Clowney from Brooklyn to us?
Where's the D?
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 9,292

Post#549 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:51 pm

Ell Curry wrote:Wonder if we'll surprisingly trade Barrett. Might help the tank and I don't think Masai is sold on him at all. He is coming off a decent stretch for us. Odds are we won't do anything yet, but if he starts the season hot I could see it.

Brooklyn I could see as a destination. They could use more scoring, maybe a 3-way with Finney-Smith going to a contender and a pick from that team, a 20M-30M type of player and I guess Whitehead or Clowney from Brooklyn to us?

Why don't you think Masai isn't sold on the Canadian kid playing for his hometown who is actually playing some of his best basketball.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
islandboy53
Bench Warmer
And1: 691

Post#550 » by islandboy53 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:16 pm

Ell Curry wrote:Wonder if we'll surprisingly trade Barrett. Might help the tank and I don't think Masai is sold on him at all. He is coming off a decent stretch for us. Odds are we won't do anything yet, but if he starts the season hot I could see it.

Nothing to do except troll tonight?
bobbyp3588
Senior
And1: 547

Post#551 » by bobbyp3588 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:51 pm

RJ is here for his entire career. Don’t like that? Better find another team to root for.
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,457

Post#552 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 24, 2024 11:56 pm

AJ griffin turns 21 on August 25

Kid is 20

I feel like he has been forgot about

Are there issues and concerns? Absolutely.
Is he super talented? Yes he is.

I’d do Brown for Capela-or-Hunter & AJ

Or

Boucher & McDaniels for Hunter & AJ (TPE)
This saves Atlanta $10m immediately next year plus the rest of Hunter’s contract
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 68,518

Post#553 » by djsunyc » Sat May 25, 2024 12:05 am

achiuwa is a terrible fit in darko's system so he's not an option for us. and like others said, pat williams a tough get logistically.
CazOnReal
Rookie

Post#554 » by CazOnReal » Sat May 25, 2024 12:29 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:AJ griffin turns 21 on August 25

Kid is 20

Or

This saves Atlanta $10m immediately next year plus the rest of Hunter’s contract

AJ Griffin is forgotten because he's not good. Dude is a turnstile on defense and is he had one of the worst sophomore slumps i've seen in recent memory. Frankly, i'd rather not touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,698

Post#555 » by Tripod » Sat May 25, 2024 12:36 am

Kid is 20

Or

That's the kind of deal that makes 100% sense to do now. Add youth and another rotational guy who is overpaid, but fills a need.

RJ 8s going nowhere. He is only 23....christ younger than some 1ST rounders this coming draft
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,457

Post#556 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat May 25, 2024 12:42 am

CazOnReal wrote:

Kid is 20

Or

AJ Griffin is forgotten because he's not good. Dude is a turnstile on defense and is he had one of the worst sophomore slumps i've seen in recent memory. Frankly, i'd rather not touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Sounds like a buy low opportunity to me. 6’6 W/ 7’ wingspan, great movement shooter. The D is a concern but he’s 20. His head is my biggest concern

Last summer just about everyone around here wanted him as a starting point in any Siakam deal

I’d rather AJ over another 20+ 2024 pick
CazOnReal
Rookie

Post#557 » by CazOnReal » Sat May 25, 2024 12:59 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:Sounds like a buy low opportunity to me. 6’6 W/ 7’ wingspan, great movement shooter. The D is a concern but he’s 20. His head is my biggest concern

His mentality is precisely why I don't expect him to improve. Dude is more concerned with Beyonce being the devil and being a homophobe than working on his defense. He struggled to get minutes on a Hawks team that was operating at half strength most of the season and his shooting took a dip. Even if I bought his talent - which I don't - he's a headcase who I do not trust to not be a distraction; I do not need Quickley and Griffin to be getting into heated theological arguments in the locker room (IQ has been pretty vocal about his religious beliefs, albeit not as overly obnoxious as AJ's unhinged homophobia and Beyonce hatred).

Last summer just about everyone around here wanted him as a starting point in any Siakam deal

Everyone was overvaluing AJ and the Hawks young guys, correct. People were glazing him, Hunter and especially Kobe Bufkin despite only one of them doing anything worthy of note - and it's been years since that Heat/Hawks series where De'Andre played well

I’d rather AJ over another 20+ 2024 pick

I would rather value the extra few rookie scale contract years that comes with said pick but more likely than not, it's likely the Raptors would prefer someone more established a la IQ and RJ, both of whom were significantly better/more valuable at the time of the Anunoby trade.

But if we aren't going with a one of the other scenario, i'd rather trade in to the 2025 draft if we're going with that Bruce Brown framework, namely that Kings 25 1st over AJ. If there's a Brown salary dump with the Hawks then there are better alternatives than just AJ.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,700

Post#558 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:13 pm

Wouldn't mind taking a flier on AJ Griffin but not as the centerpiece of a deal. He hasn't proven to be anywhere near good enough.

Not concerned about his religious beliefs either. People are allowed to believe what they want. As long as it doesn't interfere with the team or the quality of his play, I don't see why anyone would be worried about it.

As I've said before, I think there's a deal to be had between Toronto and ATL. Hawks will want to get off some long term money as they'll probably be drafting Sarr and needing to resign Johnson and Bey.

A two part deal:

1. Hunter for Brown + SAC 2025 FRP
2. Trent (S&T) for Capela + Griffin
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,674

Post#559 » by dagger » Sat May 25, 2024 3:30 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:Wouldn't mind taking a flier on AJ Griffin but not as the centerpiece of a deal. He hasn't proven to be anywhere near good enough.

Not concerned about his religious beliefs either. People are allowed to believe what they want. As long as it doesn't interfere with the team or the quality of his play, I don't see why anyone would be worried about it.

As I've said before, I think there's a deal to be had between Toronto and ATL. Hawks will want to get off some long term money as they'll probably be drafting Sarr and needing to resign Johnson and Bey.

A two part deal:

That’s far too little compensation for taking on Hunter, who has three more seasons to go on his deal.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,700

Post#560 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:35 pm

dagger wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:Wouldn't mind taking a flier on AJ Griffin but not as the centerpiece of a deal. He hasn't proven to be anywhere near good enough.

A two part deal:

That’s far too little compensation for taking on Hunter, who has three more seasons to go on his deal.

Well, I will not argue with acquiring more assets so go nuts lol

Return to Toronto Raptors