ImageImageImageImageImage

OT Marc Gasol - Open to Trade if Grizzlies don't keep growing

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Re: OT Marc Gasol - Open to Trade if Grizzlies don't keep growing 

Post#61 » by Lukeem » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 am

rapcity10 wrote:
Lukeem wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:I'm sorry bro I'm saying this in the nicest of way, but are you out of your god damn mind??!!!!!! Memphis laughs off the phone with that trade offer. Marc Gasol is Memphis, he's the heart of that community. It's going to take a blockbuster to pry him away. He's under contract for a couple more years still at a reasonable price, Memphis will get a very good offer for him as they should. He'll be great and I mean a great fit for us. I don't know if we have enough, we traded away our first rounder next year, are we willing to trade back to back first round picks? They will ask for OG, Potel, and they would hope to trade JV to Another 3rd team. The breakdown would be Potel, OG, a fist rounder, and JV, not our scrub prospects.

i am not your bro and i am not out of my mind.

i have 3 brothers and they are all capable of using reading comprehension before throwing 6
exclamation marks around like they just figured out how to use one.

i responded to someone saying they cannot find a legal trade on trade machine, then i posted that those salaries match. there are tonnes of other scenarios that would be close enough to work as well if jv is in the deal. and including a couple rookie contracts

Damn bro why u so mad and cheesed for homie bro?

because i cannot stop my eyes from vomiting when i read your posts like that
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#62 » by jonny three time » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:24 am

CoachD wrote:
jonny three time wrote:I really like Gasols game, but he would be a terrible fit with Ibaka and Derozan. He and Ibaka operate in the same areas of the floor on offense, without either being much of a roll threat off of screens. He would also force Ibaka to play as a 4 to close out halfs/games, so it limits the types of lineups we can use, or one of them would have to sit when we finish games small.

Derozan's lack of shooting/spacing would hinder gasols post game as well, similar to how it hinders JVs. To properly use any big mans post up game in this era you really need all the perimeter players to be a legit 3 pt threat. Derozan's effect on team-wide ball movement would also hurt Gasols playmaking ability as a point-center. I can't remember a single great point-center/forward who excelled on a team that struggles moving the ball.

The ideal center for this team is a better version of what Jakob Poeltl is. An athletic rim-running garbage man, who rolls QUICK to the basket on PnR.

Umm

If Gasol could play with Zbo... He can definitely play with Serge

Z-bo occupies a completely different area of the floor on offense. He's a low block guy. Serge and Gasol are both top of the key/arc guys. We could get by by using more staggered screens and putting Gasol on the low-block more, but the main problem is that neither can roll to the basket off of screens. They're both pick and pop guys when they screen.

The real issue though is that it completely negates using Ibaka as a 5 during key times. So we always either have to play big, or we have to sit one. When Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi, Durant, Melo and every other big SF with skill is playing the PF position, we're screwed for matchups, or like I said, we have to sit one of our bigs.

Its not just the Ibaka fit. It's Derozan and our team's entire style of offense (which is catered to Derozan). Gasol needs to be in more of a team system where he's surrounded by cutters and shooters he can make use of.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#63 » by LiSTWithLani » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:28 pm

jonny three time wrote:
CoachD wrote:
jonny three time wrote:I really like Gasols game, but he would be a terrible fit with Ibaka and Derozan. He and Ibaka operate in the same areas of the floor on offense, without either being much of a roll threat off of screens. He would also force Ibaka to play as a 4 to close out halfs/games, so it limits the types of lineups we can use, or one of them would have to sit when we finish games small.

Derozan's lack of shooting/spacing would hinder gasols post game as well, similar to how it hinders JVs. To properly use any big mans post up game in this era you really need all the perimeter players to be a legit 3 pt threat. Derozan's effect on team-wide ball movement would also hurt Gasols playmaking ability as a point-center. I can't remember a single great point-center/forward who excelled on a team that struggles moving the ball.

The ideal center for this team is a better version of what Jakob Poeltl is. An athletic rim-running garbage man, who rolls QUICK to the basket on PnR.

Umm

Z-bo occupies a completely different area of the floor on offense. He's a low block guy. Serge and Gasol are both top of the key/arc guys. We could get by by using more staggered screens and putting Gasol on the low-block more, but the main problem is that neither can roll to the basket off of screens. They're both pick and pop guys when they screen.

The real issue though is that it completely negates using Ibaka as a 5 during key times. So we always either have to play big, or we have to sit one. When Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi, Durant, Melo and every other big SF with skill is playing the PF position, we're screwed for matchups, or like I said, we have to sit one of our bigs.

Its not just the Ibaka fit. It's Derozan and our team's entire style of offense (which is catered to Derozan). Gasol needs to be in more of a team system where he's surrounded by cutters and shooters he can make use of.

I'd love to see DeRozan off ball, moving, cutting, screening... He should have modeled his game after Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton types. Gasol would be a high post passer that would encourage cutting and he has a 3pt shot. Why not do this? Who is better suited to cover the Big SF/PFs than Ibaka on our team?
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#64 » by LastNameEver » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:38 pm

If your goal is to just watch typical Raptors basketball were they allocate top heavy minutes in order beat up on vulnerable teams in the regular season...then stay the course with the current squad.

If you want a shot in the dark chance to get out the east, you try to stockpile all stars and hope they gel.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,919

Post#65 » by Senbonzakura » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

This is why giving up assets just to save money was a terrible idea. (See the Carroll trade).

We have no picks to include in a trade for Marc Gasol. So we basically have a 0% chance of acquiring him.
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#66 » by Moose23 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Ibaka sucks as a pf defensively and is only effective at center. (although I do not believe that he can withstand being a full time center)

Him and gasol would not be a great pairing. Add demar into the mix and its terrible

If you get gasol you trade demar and jv for him and filler

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#67 » by mcgrady_1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Moose23 wrote:Ibaka sucks as a pf defensively and is only effective at center. (although I do not believe that he can withstand being a full time center)

Him and gasol would not be a great pairing. Add demar into the mix and its terrible

If you get gasol you trade demar and jv for him and filler

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

"Filler" meaning Mike Conley? :nod:
Turbo_Zone
Veteran
And1: 13,042

Post#68 » by Turbo_Zone » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Toronto Raptors - Best Team Ever Forever
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#69 » by rapcity10 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Just so you guys know David Fizdale is a pace and space type of coach. If they do trade Marc they will not want anything to do with JV at all. Some of you guys need a reality check if you think JV can be the centrepiece in acquiring Marc gasol. He couldn't even net an asset over the summertime, he wouldn't have been on the team right now otherwise. To even have Memphis entertain our offer it would have include Potel, OG, wright, and a first rounder. With JV being shipped to a third team for cap purposes. Just stop with these garbage trade proposals. Bruno, Bebe, vanvleet is not getting any GM excited. There not in a Indiana type of situation. Complete opposite actually.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#70 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:31 pm

jonny three time wrote:
CoachD wrote:

Umm

Heaven forbid we space the floor well with both guys not having to be on the blocks. And Gasol can play anywhere and so can Serge. You're reaching.

That said, we just don't likely have enough to trade for Gasol.
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#71 » by dukes_wild » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:38 pm

rapcity10 wrote:Just so you guys know David Fizdale is a pace and space type of coach. If they do trade Marc they will not want anything to do with JV at all. Some of you guys need a reality check if you think JV can be the centrepiece in acquiring Marc gasol. He couldn't even net an asset over the summertime, he wouldn't have been on the team right now otherwise. To even have Memphis entertain our offer it would have include Potel, OG, wright, and a first rounder. With JV being shipped to a third team for cap purposes. Just stop with these garbage trade proposals. Bruno, Bebe, vanvleet is not getting any GM excited. There not in a Indiana type of situation. Complete opposite actually.

Pace and space?

Memphis played at the league's 3rd slowest pace last season with 92.3 possessions per game, and they were a middle of the pack team in 3PA/game.

Mike Conley is a PG that excels in a half-court offense where you can set up your plays and run them. I don't see Memphis turning into the Warriors any time soon.
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,829

Post#72 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:50 pm

All we learn from this is given the loss of ZBo trading Gasol makes a ton of sense for them but it doesn't in so far as them trading to us. As mentioned Nerlens for Gasol is more like it from their perspective.
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#73 » by rapcity10 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:05 pm

dukes_wild wrote:
rapcity10 wrote:Just so you guys know David Fizdale is a pace and space type of coach. If they do trade Marc they will not want anything to do with JV at all. Some of you guys need a reality check if you think JV can be the centrepiece in acquiring Marc gasol. He couldn't even net an asset over the summertime, he wouldn't have been on the team right now otherwise. To even have Memphis entertain our offer it would have include Potel, OG, wright, and a first rounder. With JV being shipped to a third team for cap purposes. Just stop with these garbage trade proposals. Bruno, Bebe, vanvleet is not getting any GM excited. There not in a Indiana type of situation. Complete opposite actually.

Pace and space?

Memphis played at the league's 3rd slowest pace last season with 92.3 possessions per game, and they were a middle of the pack team in 3PA/game.

Mike Conley is a PG that excels in a half-court offense where you can set up your plays and run them. I don't see Memphis turning into the Warriors any time soon.

You are correct, they were one of the slowest teams in the league last season, however David Fizdale had to use what he had and what he was given. He's a very good coach that understands how the game is turning and changing now. He prefers shooting and a more traditional offence to the whole grind it out type of approach. That's why he wasn't a big fan of Zach Randolph and Marc gasol starting together, and liked Using Green a lot. If they do decide to trade Gasol especially he would want to run and operate a pace and space type of offence. I have a feeling if Marc is traded, Conley will be next out the door, however it will be very difficult trading him with that contract of his.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,409

Post#74 » by Patman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

dukes_wild wrote:

Pace and space?

That's because of the personnel, and not the coach. They had perhaps the best post big combo in the league. They had a complete non-shooting wing in Tony Allen. Hard to play pace-and-space with those type of players. But Fiz is a Spo protege (even though he's older than Spo), and Spo is about pace-and-space. Once Memphis reconstructs their roster to suit Fiz's style more (that was the intention of the Parsons acquisition), then you'll see the Grizz succeed with a more open floor style.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#75 » by ontnut » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Anything other than Lowry/Derozan/Ibaka should be on the table here. Gasol is one of the few game changers we could conceivably get.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#76 » by ontnut » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:This is why giving up assets just to save money was a terrible idea. (See the Carroll trade).

We have no picks to include in a trade for Marc Gasol. So we basically have a 0% chance of acquiring him.

Can always send out OG, who is probably just as valuable, if not moreso, than our future 1st.
"Just to save money" is really not doing the trade justice. There was a LOT of money to be saved, with luxury tax and future repeated tax too. It also opens playing time and a slot for Powell (and OG if he makes it back), which most of us here believe to be beneficial for the team overall.
I'd prefer to have kept the 1st obviously, but it's not like it was just throwing away a 1st for no positives.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,819

Post#77 » by CoachD » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Pace and space???

Was there a slower paced team in the NBA than Memphis????
Turbo_Zone
Veteran

Post#78 » by Turbo_Zone » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:11 pm

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,402

Post#79 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Turbo_Zone wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is the first and last time I will ever see marc gasol in a raps jersey, thanks TZ!

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Turbo_Zone
Veteran

Post#80 » by Turbo_Zone » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Turbo_Zone wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is the first and last time I will ever see marc gasol in a raps jersey, thanks TZ!

My god how good would he be for us. What a hassle to guard. Check his mixtape.

Return to Toronto Raptors