ImageImageImageImageImage

[Wojnarowski] Pascal Siakam Signs Four Year Max Extension

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Re: [Wojnarowski] Pascal Siakam Signs Four Year Max Extension 

Post#161 » by And1Skip » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:20 am

StopitLeo wrote:
ballup wrote:
And1Skip wrote:Always have to bring this up in these thread to people who don’t think Pascal deserves the max. He was a few votes away from making 3rd team All-NBA last season. If he makes it this season he’s eligible for designated player 30% cap max which would be non negotiable because if he has that good if a season, you give him that but screw your own cap situation. This extension he gets 4 years at 25% cap max no matter what. Sure you may think there’s no way he makes it to all-nba and last year he made it because AD was out. But hey, things happen and maybe Blake doesn’t make it this year due to injury or whatever. Pascal is up there man. If he almost made it with 17ppg and this year he gets 23ppg, then he definitely deserves it.

You should stop trying to bring this up because its riddled with lies and misleading information.

Siakam was not even close to making the third team. Both LMA and Gallinari had more votes than Siakam. None of that matters anyways because all 3 were over 100 points away from the two forwards who made the 3rd team.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

To further clarify, Pascal received 4 votes total and all were for 3rd team. Blake and LeBron were the guys who made it and they had 76 and 72 votes for 3rd team, respectively. They also each had 13 votes for 2nd team. LMA, who was the next forward, got two 2nd team votes and 11 votes for 3rd team.

So yeah, Pascal wasn’t even close.

My bad. I meant to say he was in consideration and received votes, plus he was second option. Pascal was still a top 20-25 player last season. Without Kawhi he averaged 22 pts per game on good percentages (averaged more after Gasol came). Pascal even got a vote for all defensive team (from Arnovitz). If Pascal gets all nba consideration this year, it should definitely not be a surprise regardless of the deal he signed. He is already at that level. No need to get all upset just because Raptors can’t try to acquire Hield who will be traded this year just because he didn’t get extended.

Edit: You guys are going to blame me for spreading lies and misleading info again so I'll correct. Pascal averaged 19/8/3, but 28% from 3 without Kawhi in 21 games. With Gasol (and without Kawhi) he avg 24/8/4 and 45% from 3 in 6 games. Yes, the 21 games without Kawhi was mostly against inferior competition, but that strength of sched isn't that far off than their overall schedule because they play in the East and play these crappy teams 4 times). My original post was not intentional, it was an honest mistake based on espn podcasts of Arnovitz/Lowe assessment of Pascal and I thought he was viewed as almost All-NBA. I apologize for getting people upset on the original numbers.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#162 » by rocky_da_best » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:27 am

How someone could possibly find reason to hate us signing our best players (Lowry and Pascal) to extensions is beyond me. And yet here we are, people here hating the signings. I can see why people hate the Lowry one cause a lot of people just don't like the way Kyle goes about things. But hating on this Pascal extension? Wtf is wrong with you. I'm not even the biggest Siakam fanboy but there was literally no way he was going to get less than max from us after winning MIP, the playoffs he had and his career arc.
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#163 » by Natural11 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:42 am

rocky_da_best wrote:How someone could possibly find reason to hate us signing our best players (Lowry and Pascal) to extensions is beyond me. And yet here we are, people here hating the signings. I can see why people hate the Lowry one cause a lot of people just don't like the way Kyle goes about things. But hating on this Pascal extension? Wtf is wrong with you. I'm not even the biggest Siakam fanboy but there was literally no way he was going to get less than max from us after winning MIP, the playoffs he had and his career arc.

People like to dream about saving cap space and signing Giannis, Kawhi, LeBron, etc. The sad truth is marque free agents historically just don't sign here. Sure, we've re-signed guys, but when is the last time a prime all-star came to the Raptors as a free agent? Masai made the smart play in retaining talent.

The Knicks have been banking on signing a superstar in free agency for 6 years now and look what that's gotten them.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Post#164 » by And1Skip » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:54 am

Natural11 wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:How someone could possibly find reason to hate us signing our best players (Lowry and Pascal) to extensions is beyond me. And yet here we are, people here hating the signings. I can see why people hate the Lowry one cause a lot of people just don't like the way Kyle goes about things. But hating on this Pascal extension? Wtf is wrong with you. I'm not even the biggest Siakam fanboy but there was literally no way he was going to get less than max from us after winning MIP, the playoffs he had and his career arc.

People like to dream about saving cap space and signing Giannis, Kawhi, LeBron, etc. The sad truth is marque free agents historically just don't sign here. Sure, we've re-signed guys, but when is the last time a prime all-star came to the Raptors as a free agent? Masai made the smart play in retaining talent.

The Knicks have been banking on signing a superstar in free agency for 6 years now and look what that's gotten them.

Well if they wanted the 2020 cap space to sign someone (before signing Pascal to the max using bird rights), then the Raps wouldn't be able to afford the likes of Giannis or Kawhi in 2021. You're supposed to pay the 2nd fiddle guy Max contract. YOu're supposed to pay the 1st option guy more than the max (ie., Veterans max is more than the rookie extension max). What you don't do is pay rookie extension maxes to multiple guys who haven't proven anything yet (ie., Wiggins) and what some people wanted was to pay Hield (or Jaylen Brown) and Pascal near maxes.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#165 » by kid idioteque » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:57 am

TheBoi10 wrote:
kid idioteque wrote:
jrask wrote:
You can have your fake all-star

On a side note: it’s gonna be hilarious when Giannis leaves in 2021....and you all go back to eating cheese in your one-horse town

You guys are quite bitter for a fanbase fresh off a title. I wonder why that is. 8-)

Anyway, to address some of the other responses:

1) Personally I think the Middleton contract was a mistake (it's been divisive amongst the fanbase to say the least). I also think this Siakim deal is a mistake.
2) Brogdon didn't want to be here (in part because he wants to play PG). I'm glad for both sides that he got to move on.
3) No one is worried about Giannis leaving because there's a good chance he won't, and if he does there's nothing anyone can do about it. He doesn't owe me or Bucks fans anything.
4) As a Milwaukeean who loves Toronto, both cities are very cool and unique in their own way. Whether you've been here or not, sorry that you've written us off! Milwaukee is imperfect but has a lot going for it.

Have a great night!

Milwaukee is an awful team, it's not "cool" :roll:

Masai is bringing Giannis home

Read on Twitter
?s=20
trending
Junior
And1: 238

Post#166 » by trending » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:59 am

tobias harris 5 years $180 million
/ thread
theedgeam.com every saturday night
the inventor of bball was born in canada and the inventor of the phone is buried in canada
i'm also from canada
trending
Junior
And1: 238

Post#167 » by trending » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:01 am

rocky_da_best wrote: the playoffs he had and his career arc.

tatum
theedgeam.com every saturday night
the inventor of bball was born in canada and the inventor of the phone is buried in canada
i'm also from canada
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#168 » by rocky_da_best » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:03 am

trending wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote: the playoffs he had and his career arc.

tatum

coolbeans.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,288

Post#169 » by raptorstime » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:13 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

powell gonna level up this year, he wants the bag too
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,232

Post#170 » by sidsid » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:22 am

The issue isn't that Siakam is getting a max. He's already better than a lot of marginal max guys like Tobias Harris ( and more useful than a DeRozan on a championship caliber team).

The only real issue here is the potential chance of using space to absorb a contract in 2020 without sacrificing 2021 space. This is a marginal goal because we have no idea what other trades will happen this year.

There's some value in generating good will with Siakam early considering he's the only truly important part of our future. I'd rather have waited, but this is a marginal risk considering the relative market of similar players.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#171 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:28 am

BigLeagueChew wrote:Image

holy crap

I know. For free!
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#172 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:34 am

macNcheese3 wrote:Great move it was inevitable

What did he do to get credit?
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#173 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:57 am

maternal85 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:This guy is arguably the #1 player in the 2016 draft.

Yes, I am taking him over Simmons.

Remarkable

These lil we the north fans who started following the raptors 5 years ago are annoying. We picked a guy in the late round, almost 2nd round in the draft. He ends up being the 2nd best player in the draft (if Simmons doesn't start hitting 3's this year I'm putting Pascal ahead of him), he puts up 16 and 6. Wins MIP, while helping us win an NBA title. He's young, athletic, durable, versatile, etc. Players with less success, who aren't even as good as him like Andrew Wiggins got the max. Yet we're here complaining we gave a young player with so much potential who helped us win a TITLE a max contract ? The we the north fans are weirdo's who are never satisfied . Never.

New members should have to watch every game, of the 2005/06 and 2011/12 seasons, before they are allowed to post.
Maxpainmedia:
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#174 » by macNcheese3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:58 am

Dennis 37 wrote:

What are you on about? Bored on a Saturday night or?
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#175 » by Westside Gunn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:00 am

Badonkadonk wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:Just terrible.

Paying big bucks to a big man has never worked for this franchise.

That's a gross oversimplification (i.e. 'big man'). He switches 1 through 5 and can guard any position. He plays point-forward. He's likely to start at the 3 in some lineup configurations (eg. Ibaka+Gasol).

I had a slight preference for the team waiting to max him out after next year to maximize available space under the cap before extending him over it, but I'm fine with this deal.

There was zero chance he wasn't going to attract this money in an open market.

He's not that player that will help you win. He's a #3 option at most.

You can trade players like these for something much better. Remember the time when we were so high on Valanciunas we refused to trade him for James Harden?

Any time you can move these bigs for a game changing wing man you do it in a heartbeat.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#176 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:02 am

macNcheese3 wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

You gave credit to inevitable, why?
Maxpainmedia:
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,785

Post#177 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:14 am

Meh. Was hoping he wouldn't get it all and there would be some discount. But at least it's done. Now he has to play up to it.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#178 » by macNcheese3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:15 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

Why would we not sign Siakam to an extension? Was it not inevitable? Should we have let him sign with another team, and get nothing in return? Or trade a budding player, with a great work ethic and who plays the right way? I don’t know what you are getting at. Whether we signed him now or later it was going to happen, regardless. Are you one of those guys who didn’t want him back? You seem like you like when our team is losing or stuck in the lottery. Or that’s what you sound like. Give your head a shake.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#179 » by bon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:15 am

Westside Gunn wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:Just terrible.

Paying big bucks to a big man has never worked for this franchise.

That's a gross oversimplification (i.e. 'big man'). He switches 1 through 5 and can guard any position. He plays point-forward. He's likely to start at the 3 in some lineup configurations (eg. Ibaka+Gasol).

I had a slight preference for the team waiting to max him out after next year to maximize available space under the cap before extending him over it, but I'm fine with this deal.

There was zero chance he wasn't going to attract this money in an open market.

He's not that player that will help you win. He's a #3 option at most.

You can trade players like these for something much better. Remember the time when we were so high on Valanciunas we refused to trade him for James Harden?

Any time you can move these bigs for a game changing wing man you do it in a heartbeat.

What are you even talking about. He was the 2nd option for a championship team literally 4 months ago
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#180 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:23 am

macNcheese3 wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:

Why would we not sign Siakam to an extension? Was it not inevitable? Should we have let him sign with another team, and get nothing in return? Or trade a budding player, with a great work ethic and who plays the right way? I don’t know what you are getting at. Whether we signed him now or later it was going to happen, regardless. Are you one of those guys who didn’t want him back? You seem like you like when our team is losing or stuck in the lottery. Or that’s what you sound like. Give your head a shake.

It was not Inevitable, it was Masai.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=43692
Maxpainmedia:

Return to Toronto Raptors