ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: niQ, gojoorange, DG88, Morris_Shatford, 7 Footer, Reeko, lebron stopper

frumble
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,426
And1: 672
Joined: Aug 23, 2012

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#821 » by frumble » Sat Oct 9, 2021 2:38 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Hanlan has always been prone to scoring outbursts like this. Curious if his game has evolved much over the years or is he a still a ball dominant shoot-first PG with efficiency issues. He has never been much of an outside shooter or a facilitator. He has never really been tied to winning teams or moved up the European hierarchy much. Unless he has changed he's not someone I'd be too excited about to see in a Team Canada jersey. Long list of Euro guards I'd have ahead of him. Ennis, Ennis, Scrubb, Keane, Chery, TBH, Robertson, Johnny B...more?


I don't disagree with that assessment of Hanlan. But, depending on who else is on the roster, his ability to create his own shot could make him valuable, despite his shortcomings.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 1,499
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#822 » by mojo13 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:49 pm

Anthony Bennett's contract with Hoepel Jerusalem was extended for the rest of the season.

So hopefully that story has been put to bed and he can concentrate fully on the season.






And with AJ Lawson - no real surprise there. He should suit up with the College Park Skyhawks and hopefully can build his game in the G. He's still and intriguing prospect with good upside.

Not much out there on some of the other low level prospects - please chime in if you guys hear anything else:

Karim Mane - real quiet on Mane. He was a hot mess in the G last year and I suppose still has enough potential to get another shot. I think he is a full FA with no one owning his rights.

Nate Darling - currently dealing with a knee injury. I expect him in the G this season, but I'm not sure Charlotte has any rights on him.

Justin Jackson - No real news out there. He was also pretty garbage in the G last season - worse than Mane in fact. The injuries may have crushed any chance a pro career for JJ.

Simi Shittu - This one is more surprising. He was really good in the G and I was quite surprised he didn't get a camp invite at least this year. He should easily be in the G and maybe be one of the better players, probbaly worth one more run at cracking the NBA but it might soon be time for him to head to Europe.

Lindell Wigginton - I put him here because he had such a good CEBL seasn. I am surprised he couldn't get a decent start in Europe off of that. Does he take another run at the G? Time to move on I think.

Ignas Brazdeikis and Eugene Omoruyi are the only two with two-ways. I'm not much of a believer in Brazdeikis but Eugene is playing really well in presason and looks like the prime candidate to earn himself a regular role.


And some of the vets:
Nik Stauskas - after a slow start he was pretty good in the G last year. He had no camp invites that I know of. No rumors of any pro contract discussions in Europe. You think he would do the G route again this season?

Tyler Ennis - I did find confirmation that he is back with Turk Telekom (Turkey) this season, but is still working to get back into game shape. He has shown up on their roster, but has yet to play a game.
TheFutureMM
Pro Prospect
Posts: 753
And1: 518
Joined: Apr 13, 2015
 

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#823 » by TheFutureMM » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:22 pm

mojo13 wrote:Karim Mane - real quiet on Mane. He was a hot mess in the G last year and I suppose still has enough potential to get another shot. I think he is a full FA with no one owning his rights.


It's really too bad that he didn't end up going to the NCAA - I selfishly like when our younger talent go that route just so that they have a chance to grow in legitimate facilities, surrounded by coaches that are (for the most part) invested in them, and playing competitive basketball. Best of all, if they don't pan out 1st year, the uncertainty isn't as drastic as being a non-NBA pro - they have a summer to work on their game, the older players leaving provides minutes to be won, they can transfer to a different school, etc.

I completely get that money plays a role in all of this, and, if you have a shot at getting drafted in the first round, you absolutely have to go for it but whoever was in his ear gave him some terrible advice as evidenced by what's happened. Undrafted, floundered in the G-League, pretty abysmal Summer League, etc.

Should be noted as a cautionary tale for all of our upcoming promising talent. Can't believe he was a 5-Star prospect.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 1,499
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#824 » by mojo13 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:50 pm

First window of the Pool C FIBA WC Qualifiers will all be played in Dominican Republic due to ongoing Covid logistical issues (Nov 28 and 29).

That turns Canada's home and away vs Bahamas into two neutral site games and the USVI/DOM home and away into two home games for DOM (lucky them).

I expect this will be the format going forward. Hopefully we keep our home games in February window vs DR and USVI and they add the BAH vs DR/USVI games in Canada as well.

This will cause an unfair advantage for some counties (like DR) which sucks when WC qualifying results carry over and can come down to point differential, but there may be no better options.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 1,499
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#825 » by mojo13 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:25 pm

Latest ESPN 2022 Top 100 Big Board draft watch
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/32375218/2022-nba-draft-top-100-stock-watch-moved-pro-days


6 - Houstan
20 - Mathurin
44 - Edey
52 - Nembhard
82 - Carr

I'd expect Guerrier to get on this list fairly quickly. One can easily make a case he has far more upside than Carr or Nembhard.

Any other misses?
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 1,499
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#826 » by mojo13 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:34 pm

Mfiondu Kabengele waived by the Cavs.

That is all...
Hair Canada
Rookie
Posts: 1,041
And1: 1,019
Joined: Nov 02, 2017

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#827 » by Hair Canada » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:47 pm

mojo13 wrote:Latest ESPN 2022 Top 100 Big Board draft watch
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/32375218/2022-nba-draft-top-100-stock-watch-moved-pro-days


6 - Houstan
20 - Mathurin
44 - Edey
52 - Nembhard
82 - Carr

I'd expect Guerrier to get on this list fairly quickly. One can easily make a case he has far more upside than Carr or Nembhard.

Any other misses?


We'll need to see if Boakye is good enough to get himself on the list. C. Bediako might be another option, but I'm not a big believer.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior
Posts: 317
And1: 77
Joined: Aug 16, 2019
       

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#828 » by Kenter16 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:32 pm

Fairly big news with Sharpe here. This would make him eligible for this years draft. Can't imagine that he would fall past the lottery.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
mtr15
Pro Prospect
Posts: 928
And1: 33
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
Location: Toronto

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#829 » by mtr15 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 pm

247 Sports has finally updated their rankings for the class of 2023. Elijah Fisher dropped big time from #3 to #20. However, another Canadian made the top 150 with Vasean Allette at #129. The school listed for Allette needs to be changed as he's now at United Scholastic Academy, one of the new teams in the OSBA and recently defeated powerhouse Orangeville Prep last month at the CYBL Premier League at the Playground Global in Oshawa. Allette was impressive that game and had a tremendous summer AAU season with Canada Elite. I wouldn't be shocked if Allette continues to rise and cracks the top 100.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool
mtr15
Pro Prospect
Posts: 928
And1: 33
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
Location: Toronto

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#830 » by mtr15 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:41 pm

For the class of 2024, here's a quick update on two prospects of note:

Christian Nitu (now at Royal Crown Academy, a member of the OSBA)
DJ Burke (now at C.O.D.E Prep Academy, a new prep program based out of Ajax/Durham region in ON)

Cory Joseph's father, David, is the head athletic trainer at C.O.D.E.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 1,499
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#831 » by mojo13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:53 pm

mtr15 wrote:247 Sports has finally updated their rankings for the class of 2023. Elijah Fisher dropped big time from #3 to #20. However, another Canadian made the top 150 with Vasean Allette at #129. The school listed for Allette needs to be changed as he's now at United Scholastic Academy, one of the new teams in the OSBA and recently defeated powerhouse Orangeville Prep last month at the CYBL Premier League at the Playground Global in Oshawa. Allette was impressive that game and had a tremendous summer AAU season with Canada Elite. I wouldn't be shocked if Allette continues to rise and cracks the top 100.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool


Getting close to falling off as a NBA prospect all together. How many #20 ranked players make the NBA? And the way he is trending, who knows where he ends up? Not that these ranking determine one's fate but it should be clear Fisher by now Fisher's peer group is catching up to his physical head start and he hasn't done much to expand his game over the years.
mtr15
Pro Prospect
Posts: 928
And1: 33
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
Location: Toronto

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#832 » by mtr15 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:13 pm

mojo13 wrote:
mtr15 wrote:247 Sports has finally updated their rankings for the class of 2023. Elijah Fisher dropped big time from #3 to #20. However, another Canadian made the top 150 with Vasean Allette at #129. The school listed for Allette needs to be changed as he's now at United Scholastic Academy, one of the new teams in the OSBA and recently defeated powerhouse Orangeville Prep last month at the CYBL Premier League at the Playground Global in Oshawa. Allette was impressive that game and had a tremendous summer AAU season with Canada Elite. I wouldn't be shocked if Allette continues to rise and cracks the top 100.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool


Getting close to falling off as a NBA prospect all together. How many #20 ranked players make the NBA? And the way he is trending, who knows where he ends up? Not that these ranking determine one's fate but it should be clear Fisher by now Fisher's peer group is catching up to his physical head start and he hasn't done much to expand his game over the years.


This is a big season for Fisher. The OSBA season is starting soon and his school, Crestwood Prep, is planning on playing some significant tournaments down south in the next few months. One of which is against Vertical Academy and Mikey Williams in mid-November. And the competition level in the OSBA is intense. Leonard Miller, in the class of 2022, is only a few months older than Fisher but he has gotten much better over the last year, especially this past summer with Canada Elite AAU. Miller is playing for the new Fort Erie Prep team, which is also playing in the OSBA.

Back to Fisher, there are strong rumors that this will be his last high school season. I believe he's in grade 12 in Ontario (last grade in HS) and it's a good bet he'll reclassify to the class of 2022 and be a one and done in college.
Hair Canada
Rookie
Posts: 1,041
And1: 1,019
Joined: Nov 02, 2017

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#833 » by Hair Canada » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:04 pm

mtr15 wrote:For the class of 2024, here's a quick update on two prospects of note:

Christian Nitu (now at Royal Crown Academy, a member of the OSBA)
DJ Burke (now at C.O.D.E Prep Academy, a new prep program based out of Ajax/Durham region in ON)

Cory Joseph's father, David, is the head athletic trainer at C.O.D.E.


Interesting. What league will CODE play at?
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mtr15
Pro Prospect
Posts: 928
And1: 33
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
Location: Toronto

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#834 » by mtr15 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:31 am

Hair Canada wrote:
mtr15 wrote:For the class of 2024, here's a quick update on two prospects of note:

Christian Nitu (now at Royal Crown Academy, a member of the OSBA)
DJ Burke (now at C.O.D.E Prep Academy, a new prep program based out of Ajax/Durham region in ON)

Cory Joseph's father, David, is the head athletic trainer at C.O.D.E.


Interesting. What league will CODE play at?


CODE is not affiliated with the OSBA or NPA. However, they are part of the CYBL Premier League and Plantium Circut. This allows them to play other Canadian prep programs throughout the course of the season. They are also planning on playing some tournaments down south in Las Vegas, California, Ohio and Michigan.
aminiaturebuddha
Analyst
Posts: 3,228
And1: 3,171
Joined: Aug 07, 2006

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#835 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 pm

The Warriors waived Mychal Mulder. I haven't really been following the Warriors' camp battles, so this came as somewhat of a surprise to me. I thought he had solidified himself on that team with his performance last year.

I still think he's shown enough to catch on with another team, but it's getting late in the pre-season, so it's hard to say how many teams might have roster spots available. He might have to go the G-League route before another chance opens up again.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 1,499
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#836 » by mojo13 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:52 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:The Warriors waived Mychal Mulder. I haven't really been following the Warriors' camp battles, so this came as somewhat of a surprise to me. I thought he had solidified himself on that team with his performance last year.

I still think he's shown enough to catch on with another team, but it's getting late in the pre-season, so it's hard to say how many teams might have roster spots available. He might have to go the G-League route before another chance opens up again.


Some talk of Mulder signing a two way with the Warriors but he needs to clear waiver first and not have some other team chase him. There are some teams out there that could use his shooting.

Supposed knock on Mulder is he can’t hit the broad side of a barn during close games but is lights out in garbage time. Fans have been moaning about this his entire run with GSW so maybe management finally agrees.


Nik Stauskas (Nuggets) and Nate Darling (Clippers) both signed Ex 10 deals today and were immediately waived. A tactic to assign guys to your G league affiliate and splash them 50k.
TrueNorth31
Senior
Posts: 508
And1: 327
Joined: Sep 04, 2018
     

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#837 » by TrueNorth31 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:02 pm

mojo13 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:The Warriors waived Mychal Mulder. I haven't really been following the Warriors' camp battles, so this came as somewhat of a surprise to me. I thought he had solidified himself on that team with his performance last year.

I still think he's shown enough to catch on with another team, but it's getting late in the pre-season, so it's hard to say how many teams might have roster spots available. He might have to go the G-League route before another chance opens up again.


Some talk of Mulder signing a two way with the Warriors but he needs to clear waiver first and not have some other team chase him. There are some teams out there that could use his shooting.

Supposed knock on Mulder is he can’t hit the broad side of a barn during close games but is lights out in garbage time. Fans have been moaning about this his entire run with GSW so maybe management finally agrees.


Nik Stauskas (Nuggets) and Nate Darling (Clippers) both signed Ex 10 deals today and were immediately waived. A tactic to assign guys to your G league affiliate and splash them 50k.


I think the main reason Mulder was sent packing was due to luxury tax implications. GSW is so far over the cap that Mulder's $1.7 million annual salary would cost them $12 million counting the luxury tax. For this reason they are going with 14 players instead of the usual 15 man roster. Too bad for the kid, but there's some speculation he'll catch on with another team or get a 2 way contract with GSW as you've mentioned.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 1,499
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#838 » by mojo13 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:19 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:
mojo13 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:The Warriors waived Mychal Mulder. I haven't really been following the Warriors' camp battles, so this came as somewhat of a surprise to me. I thought he had solidified himself on that team with his performance last year.

I still think he's shown enough to catch on with another team, but it's getting late in the pre-season, so it's hard to say how many teams might have roster spots available. He might have to go the G-League route before another chance opens up again.


Some talk of Mulder signing a two way with the Warriors but he needs to clear waiver first and not have some other team chase him. There are some teams out there that could use his shooting.

Supposed knock on Mulder is he can’t hit the broad side of a barn during close games but is lights out in garbage time. Fans have been moaning about this his entire run with GSW so maybe management finally agrees.


Nik Stauskas (Nuggets) and Nate Darling (Clippers) both signed Ex 10 deals today and were immediately waived. A tactic to assign guys to your G league affiliate and splash them 50k.


I think the main reason Mulder was sent packing was due to luxury tax implications. GSW is so far over the cap that Mulder's $1.7 million annual salary would cost them $12 million counting the luxury tax. For this reason they are going with 14 players instead of the usual 15 man roster. Too bad for the kid, but there's some speculation he'll catch on with another team or get a 2 way contract with GSW as you've mentioned.




Wow---I didn't know it was that bad of a tax hit.


Some other happenings over the weekend as rosters were cleared up.

I think we mentioned AJ Lawson (Hawks) and Mfiondu Kabengele (Cavs) were waived. Lawson will at least be assigned to the Hawks G-League affiliate. Not sure what happens with Kabengele yet.


Nik Stauksas (Nuggests) and Nate Darling (Clippers) where signed to Ex 10s and immediate waived. This is a tactic to hold their right for the G-League and splash them an extra 50K to make up for the crap G-League salaries.

Devonte Bandoo a CEBL player and Canadian (I think) signed in the G with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Another Canadian to keep an eye on - I don't know much about him.

Still no news on Simi Shittu out there - but my guess is that he ends up in the G.
mojo13
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 1,499
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
   

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#839 » by mojo13 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Mfiondu Kabengele is mysteriously listed on the Rockets 18 man roster but no announcement to be found anywhere.
https://www.nba.com/rockets/roster

Likely not a mistake and an official word is immanent.
User avatar
PrinceAli
General Manager
Posts: 8,884
And1: 14,769
Joined: Mar 11, 2018
         

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#840 » by PrinceAli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Kenter16 wrote:Fairly big news with Sharpe here. This would make him eligible for this years draft. Can't imagine that he would fall past the lottery.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

It wouldn’t make him eligible for this draft. All he’s considering is to join the school and start practicing with Kentucky but he won’t play any games until next year

This is basically what Hamidou Diallo did a couple years ago

He’s still set for the 2023 draft
Image

Return to Toronto Raptors