ImageImageImageImageImage

Should Raptors retire Lowry’s #7 when all said and done

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Re: Should Raptors retire Lowry’s #7 when all said and done 

Post#101 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:04 pm

realball wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
realball wrote:
How is that absurd? Teams even retire jerseys of players who weren't All-Stars. Who said anything about retiring every multi-year All-Star anyways? Bosh made multiple All-Stars with us, we're not retiring his number. Same with Vince.

And Lowry was more important to our team no doubt. Which is why we should retire both jerseys.

Well, why wouldn't we retire Bosh's jersey or VC? They achieved just as much.

How did Bosh even come close to achieving just as much? He had two first-round exits - DD took us to the ECF.

And unlike VC and Bosh, DD didn't leave on bad terms.

You keep misspelling Kyle Lowry. It was Lowry who led us to the ECF. And DD absolutely left on bad terms - he took shots at the FO and Masai. He didn't leave on bad terms with the fans, but I wouldn't exactly call that a great relationship.

What DD did was rack up #s as a first option. He was absolutely the #2 piece behind Lowry to a lot of strong regular seasons and playoff appearances.

I just don't think all-star appearances and the being the #2 piece in one good playoff run is retirement jersey worthy.

The success belongs to Lowry. DDs gotten to take credit for Lowry's impact for years. When it comes to jersey retirement, we should recognize the guy who was at the core of this teams title run.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,016
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#102 » by will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Heck, yes!
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,189

Post#103 » by realball » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
realball wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

How did Bosh even come close to achieving just as much? He had two first-round exits - DD took us to the ECF.

You keep misspelling Kyle Lowry. It was Lowry who led us to the ECF. And DD absolutely left on bad terms - he took shots at the FO and Masai. He didn't leave on bad terms with the fans, but I wouldn't exactly call that a great relationship.

What DD did was rack up #s as a first option. He was absolutely the #2 piece behind Lowry to a lot of strong regular seasons and playoff appearances.

I just don't think all-star appearances and the being the #2 piece in one good playoff run is retirement jersey worthy.

The success belongs to Lowry. DDs gotten to take credit for Lowry's impact for years. When it comes to jersey retirement, we should recognize the guy who was at the core of this teams title run.

DD did absolutely not leave on bad terms. He took some shots at the guy who traded him, but he showed love for the city and the organization, and he was embraced by the fans when he came back.

And it's entirely possible to give two players credit for our success. Just because Jordan was the best players on the Bulls doesn't mean the Bulls shouldn't retire Pippen's jersey.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#104 » by Danny1616 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:04 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
realball wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

This is jersey retirement, not whether DD is a hall of fame caliber player.

Derozan, while not as good as Lowry, was one of our best players for nearly a decade, and was a huge part of the group that changed the entirety of the Raptors organization.

9 years, 5 all-star appearances, 5 playoff appearances, every Raptors scoring record. He has the stats, the success, the longevity, and he's beloved by the city.

Lowry is the GOAT Raptor, but Derozan is easily deserving of having his number retired in the rafters.
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#105 » by howlin mad axer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm against retiring numbers, I like when they put up statues outside the arena of the greats, like the Lakers and Bulls have done.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#106 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:09 pm

realball wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
realball wrote:

DD did absolutely not leave on bad terms. He took some shots at the guy who traded him, but he showed love for the city and the organization, and he was embraced by the fans when he came back.

And it's entirely possible to give two players credit for our success. Just because Jordan was the best players on the Bulls doesn't mean the Bulls shouldn't retire Pippen's jersey.

Like I said, I think it's debatable on what terms DD left on. If you think bad terms is ONLY about what one says to the fans, sure. The fans don't hold him ill will. I think taking **** about the organization and just being constantly spiteful is bad terms. He didn't handle himself as a professional.

And sure, two guys can get credit for stuff. Like Kawhi and Lowry (and Siakam).

But DD wasn't an equal partner here. If we have a line of how was most responsible, with Lowry on one end as (most) and e.g. JV on the other as "reasonable", DD is way closer to JV than Lowry. And no one is (really) saying we should retire JVs jersey.

DD got a lot of credit and marketing from the FO, and he rode the coattails of that to being a fan favourite. Fine. I accept he'll always get more credit than he deserved.

But I draw the line at jersey retirement. This is Lowry's era and his accomplishment. He deserves to have it recognized solo.
dontsettle4less
Senior
And1: 343

Post#107 » by dontsettle4less » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Mikistan wrote:
dontsettle4less wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:When it’s all said and done I think the Raptors will hang Kyle Lowrys lucky #7 jersey in the Rafters at Scotiabank Arena (ACC). Regardless of happens from here on out.

He’s a perfect comic book hero for our franchise and after bringing home our first Chip, I think he’s earned it as well.

Should the Raptors retire Lowrys #7 jersey?

1000% and to be honest I hope they do it for Derozen too. Without him we don't get Kawhi and what we built wouldn't have existed. These two are a big part of how we won this year. I will cherish that feeling and that moment forever.

Should retire Bargnani and Poeltl's numbers too then

and Danny Green's

And Jonas Valanciunas'

And BC should get a star of appreciation
Appreciate the opinion but I stick by what I said based on being a loyal fan for years. I do understand what you are getting at as every player had a part in getting us to the team we had today. Thanks for the quote though. :)
dontsettle4less
Senior
And1: 343

Post#108 » by dontsettle4less » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:23 pm

almatic wrote:
scirocco53 wrote:
dontsettle4less wrote:1000% and to be honest I hope they do it for Derozen too. Without him we don't get Kawhi and what we built wouldn't have existed. These two are a big part of how we won this year. I will cherish that feeling and that moment forever.

Keeping it real right there. Lowry and DerRozan are the only players who deserve to get their jersey's retired. All others simply don't.

If this was Reddit I'd get crazy downvotes for this, but I don't see how you can retire Demar's number without retiring Kawhi's. Regardless if it was just one season, Championships are what you play for, and Kawhi brought that here while winning Finals MVP.

Very interesting point, and definitely agree. You can't discredit anything Kawhi did for us in one year either. Nothing is wrong with that but being a fan for all the years not just this one, those who have followed our Raps for all the years including all the bad ones know that the positive culture we've created started with Lowry/Derozen together and primarily with Derozen as he got Lowry to buy in over time. :)
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#109 » by RaptorPride » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:56 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
realball wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

Like I said, I think it's debatable on what terms DD left on. If you think bad terms is ONLY about what one says to the fans, sure. The fans don't hold him ill will. I think taking **** about the organization and just being constantly spiteful is bad terms. He didn't handle himself as a professional.

But DD wasn't an equal partner here. If we have a line of how was most responsible, with Lowry on one end as (most) and e.g. JV on the other as "reasonable", DD is way closer to JV than Lowry. And no one is (really) saying we should retire JVs jersey.

DD got a lot of credit and marketing from the FO, and he rode the coattails of that to being a fan favourite. Fine. I accept he'll always get more credit than he deserved.

But I draw the line at jersey retirement. This is Lowry's era and his accomplishment. He deserves to have it recognized solo.

Would Lowry have stayed if it wasn't for Debo? DeMar helped build the culture of the Raptors we have right now. Do you forget how much of a problem Lowry used to cause with coaches? He even said he was waiting for his contract to finish so he could leave Toronto. They really are a duo.
Spoiler:

realball
Head Coach

Post#110 » by realball » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:11 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
realball wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:

Ok, clearly you have some personal vendetta against Derozan that keeps you from thinking logically.
Like, who in their right mind thinks a 5-time All-Star Derozan closer to zero-time All-Star JV rather than 5-time All-Star Lowry?

Maybe you were offended by DD's comments, but the fans cheered for him when he was back. And even Masai said that he would do everything to have DD's jersey in the rafters. Clearly, you have some issues with Derozan that you need to resolve on your own. Don't think someone with your bias should really be part of this debate.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#111 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm

RaptorPride wrote:[...]
Would Lowry have stayed if it wasn't for Debo? DeMar helped build the culture of the Raptors we have right now. Do you forget how much of a problem Lowry used to cause with coaches? He even said he was waiting for his contract to finish so he could leave Toronto. They really are a duo.

Who knows whether Lowry would have stayed without DD. That's kind of besides the point - you don't retire a guys's jersey for being best friends with the team's best player.

It was easy for DD to want to stay - he was getting more credit than he deserved for his contributions, he was the face of the franchise, and he was idolized by the city. So, again, I think people are making too much of a meal for DD's attitude. Sure, he liked the city and all that. But he got a lot out of it.

It hurts when a superstar leaves, but DD wasn't a superstar. He didn't make us a title contender. And while hard to replace, it's a player we can make up a lot more easily.

But we'll see how this season goes.

realball wrote:[...]
Ok, clearly you have some personal vendetta against Derozan that keeps you from thinking logically.
Like, who in their right mind thinks a 5-time All-Star Derozan closer to zero-time All-Star JV rather than 5-time All-Star Lowry?

Maybe you were offended by DD's comments, but the fans cheered for him when he was back. And even Masai said that he would do everything to have DD's jersey in the rafters. Clearly, you have some issues with Derozan that you need to resolve on your own. Don't think someone with your bias should really be part of this debate.

There's no personal vendetta. You want to think DD was integral to this team, go for it. I very strongly disagree. There's Lowry, who was on his own tier, and then a bunch of flawed players.

My issue with DD is that he got more credit than he deserved, and everyone seems to have forgiven him for taking shots at the team and FO at a time when we were trying to recruit Kawhi.

He was a big part of what we did the last couple of years. There's lots of ways to acknowledge him without retiring his jersey, which IMO is reserved for people who are an irreplaceable and significant part of a successful era.

But then I also don't think you retire VC's number or Bosh, though I think VC has a better case for retirement than DD.
realball
Head Coach

Post#112 » by realball » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:There's no personal vendetta. You want to think DD was integral to this team, go for it. I very strongly disagree. There's Lowry, who was on his own tier, and then a bunch of flawed players.

My issue with DD is that he got more credit than he deserved, and everyone seems to have forgiven him for taking shots at the team and FO at a time when we were trying to recruit Kawhi.

He was a big part of what we did the last couple of years. There's lots of ways to acknowledge him without retiring his jersey, which IMO is reserved for people who are an irreplaceable and significant part of a successful era.

But then I also don't think you retire VC's number or Bosh, though I think VC has a better case for retirement than DD.

Obviously everyone forgave DD for taking shots at the team. We understand that he took shots because he didn't want to be traded. If Masai can forgive him immediately, I don't see why we would hold a grudge. He played here for 9 years, only reason you wouldn't appreciate that is if you have some weird vendetta against him.

Besides, what else are you going to do to honour him? Put up a display at the ACC? Why not just use Occam's razor and do what every other franchise does for players who were important to their team?

And not sure why you think retiring jerseys is some incredibly high honour reserved for the best of the best. I honestly think you are conflating retired jerseys with the HOF, and that's warping your perception. The Grizzlies retired Tony Allen. The Sonics retired McMillan. You don't have to be a HOFer to have your jersey retired by a team. You don't need to be "irreplaceable". Even Lowry is replaceable. Derozan was a significant part of our team. He may not have been a great player, but he was our All-Star.
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 778

Post#113 » by mulamutti » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:34 pm

you retire lowry's number for sure. Mayyyybe vince carter (however he left, and however unaccomplished he is (as a player worthy of getting a number retired), he will always be in the folk lore of the toronto raptors. He inaugrated nba basketball in this city and for decades to come will be talked about and remembered for his raptor days. He's still the greatest dunker of all time which in itself is worthy IMO. Retire Lowry and Carter. Not derozan (wasn't good enough) or Kawhi (he was just the greatest one night stand of all time).
RaptorsJunkie
Pro Prospect
And1: 505

Post#114 » by RaptorsJunkie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:33 am

Oakville_Raptor wrote:
RaptorsJunkie wrote:
Oakville_Raptor wrote:
Are you claiming that bears don't sh*t in the woods?

Yes I am.

Pretty sure all you have to do is a quick google search to know that bears do indeed sh*t in the woods. :-?

I prefer to stand by my claim.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,288

Post#115 » by Chandan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:30 am

realball wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:There's no personal vendetta. You want to think DD was integral to this team, go for it. I very strongly disagree. There's Lowry, who was on his own tier, and then a bunch of flawed players.

Obviously everyone forgave DD for taking shots at the team. We understand that he took shots because he didn't want to be traded. If Masai can forgive him immediately, I don't see why we would hold a grudge. He played here for 9 years, only reason you wouldn't appreciate that is if you have some weird vendetta against him.

Besides, what else are you going to do to honour him? Put up a display at the ACC? Why not just use Occam's razor and do what every other franchise does for players who were important to their team?

And not sure why you think retiring jerseys is some incredibly high honour reserved for the best of the best. I honestly think you are conflating retired jerseys with the HOF, and that's warping your perception. The Grizzlies retired Tony Allen. The Sonics retired McMillan. You don't have to be a HOFer to have your jersey retired by a team. You don't need to be "irreplaceable". Even Lowry is replaceable. Derozan was a significant part of our team. He may not have been a great player, but he was our All-Star.

even I forgave DD.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,424

Post#116 » by TOStateofMind » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Kyle should easily be the first one up, not even a question.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,182

Post#117 » by PoundTown » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:06 pm

Oakville_Raptor wrote:
RaptorsJunkie wrote:
Oakville_Raptor wrote:
Does a bear sh*t in the woods?
No it doesn't. But regardless, his jersey should be retired.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Are you claiming that bears don't sh*t in the woods?

That is exactly what he is claiming. This guy is out of touch with reality. Everybody knows bears sh*t in the woods. Good golly.
kavan
General Manager
And1: 89

Post#118 » by kavan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 pm

You retire his.. then you would consider Demar, CB4 and VC.
Raptors, Leafs, Jays. #Toronto
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,527

Post#119 » by BetterCallSaul » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:23 pm

So happy to see that this thread is 6 pages of people saying yes
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#120 » by timdunkit » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:08 pm

This shouldn't be a question at this point.

Return to Toronto Raptors