ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

noname2797
Sophomore
And1: 88

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#101 » by noname2797 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:10 am

canz55 wrote:
noname2797 wrote:
canz55 wrote:This is a PSA for people.

Let me start by saying I would never tell anyone what to do - I have no moral authority or expertise. This is merely a suggestion that my wife and her coworkers share (she and her colleagues are all nurses in Ontario).

If you feel unwell and are curious about whether or not you have contracted COVID, please STAY HOME! DO NOT GET TESTED!

The only reason you or a loved one should ever think about walking into your local clinic or an emergency room or an assessment center is because you or a family member are so ill to the point having your respiratory system comprised leading to hospitalization.

The government of Ontario is counting on people voluntarily getting tested so they can enact more draconian measures and policies that will choke the little freedoms we have left. More testing does not help anything. If you're under the age of 50 you have an 8 percent chance of being hospitalized.

If you want to be tested in lue of a family event of 10 people or less (thanksgiving for example) and don't want to infect family members who are vulnerable people potentially, that makes total sense. But if you feel like **** and have COVID systems - don't **** go to the Thanksgiving ANYWAYS!

I had a bad cold this week (upper respiratory) and opted out of some fun social events I would have otherwise loved to have attended. I'm 99% sure I didn't/don't have COVID but I'm **** damn sure I'm not going to line up at an assessment centre so I can give the government information that I frankly don't have time to give, nor do I want to.

This post should be flagged. This guy is literally a part of the problem we're creating. Fear-mongering over 'draconian' measures is so insane. What measures has the Ontario government put out that can be considered draconian? Shutting down bars is draconian? Idiot. This is a public health issue. We can't rely on people doing the right thing. All it takes is one person not doing the right thing to break down the whole system.

Testing is important to understand how far COVID-19 has spread and for Contact Tracers to let people around you know that you were infected so they can go get tested. It's about tracing the goddamn disease.

You sound like a Trumpian rat. These aren't draconian measures... We're literally just trying to make sure everyone can be healthy during these times.

TLDR: Go get tested. It's important to know how far the COVID has spread and what actions we need to take further.
I'm fear mongering? How about you turn on the local news bud - you don't know what fear mongering is.

City News Toronto ran a bull story as their headliner last week where they interview that moron who runs the Institute of Health Metrics Evaluation (IHME) saying that between now and the end of the year, Ontario should anticipate 4,400 more Covid-19 deaths which would make a total of 7,300 deaths.

According to them, there will be more deaths over the remaining 102 days of the year (4,471 over Sept. 21st through Dec. 31st) than there has been in the entire outbreak up to the present (2,829 over Mar. 11th through Sept. 20th).

You want to scare the living hell out of people? Keep watching the news where supposed experts make preposterous predictions every other day. This is the world we're living in but because I'm pointing this out I'm a Trump supporter - got it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app

I literally don't understand your point or your post -- take a second and re-read it. Either you think the "moron" who runs the IHME is lying or you don't think 4,400 deaths is statistically significant enough to warrant action.

Or maybe you think that these predictions are baseless? I'm sorry but what school did you study from? Do you have a phd and studied epidemiology? What are your qualifications to deny statements from the IHME? Morons will want to deny something. Look man, idk what you do for a living but each of us specialize in some type of thing. Someone from the IHME isn't going to tell you how to fix your toilet.

Do I need to explain to you the significance of these deaths?

In regards to lack of fear. I, for one, don't feel afraid. If I catch COVID, I catch COVID. But! I'm trying my absolute best to follow what doctors and professionals preach to avoid it. It's easy. My life doesn't change much. I live my life, see my friends socially distantly. If sometimes it's not safe for a period because of high community spread... fine I'll stay home. It's not about living in fear, it's about living in a state of awareness for yourself and others.
DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(700 new cases 9/28) 

Post#102 » by DHK » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:20 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:
DHK wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:All fearmongering bs... first mistakes were watching cbc or paying attention to any Canadian politician.

Second... deaths statistically zero... what 2 covid deaths today in a population over 38 million. Are you fkin serious???

You have a higher likelyhood of dying from double lightening strike than covid....

Stockholm syndrome mentality is mind boggling, lol

Been traveling throughout Europe all summer.. thanks Air Canad been awesome...

You think its fear mongering? Smh

People with your type of mentality is exactly why theres outbreaks. These tin foil hat people shouldnt exist in this world.

It is blatant fear mongering bs by our politicians and media.... thats a fact.... here in paris, all restaurants , bars open and full.. no distancing in any cafe or restaurant.. no masks except whrn outside... same germany... covid deaths are statistically zero.... but keep pumping..... our media is the worst... never watch anything on TV in canada or ever read a paper from canada or listen to those fools as politicians....

Fear obesity.. not covid... you won't die from covid...

It's fear mongering by politicians and media? So how do you explain the 1M+ deaths by CoVid worldwide and 33.1Million cases?
Oh are you talking about France which currently 11-15k cases PER day while there's restrictions being implemented asap to handle the 2nd wave: https://nypost.com/2020/09/28/covid-19-restrictions-tighten-in-france-as-cases-spike/ ?
Maybe as you said "all restaurants, bar open full, no distancing in any cafe or restaurant" plays a large part in it.

Or do you actually think what they're doing is the correct move?

If you dont trust anything on TV in Canada or dont trust the paper, why dont you take nature articles, global media, and worldly recognized reputable sources like BBC/Al Jareeza, who are basically imploring you to keep the social distancing intact.

Having the bars/restaurants open from a country where CoVid outbreak looms at large is a testament of government prioritizing economy over health but right now, health is more important. If the economy is allowed to run, there should be extremely tight regulations until a vaccine is in place. Korea and China are fine examples of extremities and look how effective they've been relatives to EU/NA. Of course, if they were to put in tight regulation, I'm more than willing to bet 1000s of tin foil hat people would be screaming "BUT MY FREEDOM"

You should fear obesity. You're right. You should fear CoVid just as much. But that's the equivalent of saying "Fear cancer. Death rate from cancer is much worse". CoVid is a worldwide health risk. Just because you have been lucky enough to not contract it, just because you are lucky enough to not know a person who has contracted it, and just because if you do contract it , you'll likely survive because you're youthful, doesn't mean it's not a problem. Do you have elderly relatives or family? Do you know people who are at high-risk from CoVid from auto-immune issues to other alternative health related issues? Because if they contract it, their survive rate is not near 0. And if you value people's lives, you should care. Stop embarassing yourself.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,923

Post#103 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:26 am

covid deaths in canada do not make the top fifty deaths in any province or the country... but yes... lets keep pumping the false narrative.... classic Stockholm syndrome mentality lead by our fool PM....

And in other news, Canada had 5 covid deaths today amongst a population of 38 million ... country grinds to a halt as panic ensues... dumb politicians each trying to outdo each other in hysterical fear mongering and general incompetence .... while real economic apocalypse continues.... and countless businesses shut down. In Canada(facts): "Anything you can do to help your heart. Exercise and eating well are massively more important than the more obscure ways people worry about dying." "You are more likely to die from a car accident than from Covid-19." "You are more likely to die from cardiovascular diseases, or cancer, than from Covid-19."
#TimeToTravel
#StupidityShowsNoBounds
#StockholmSyndrome
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#104 » by PerfectJab » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:49 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:covid deaths in canada do not make the top fifty deaths in any province or the country... but yes... lets keep pumping the false narrative.... classic Stockholm syndrome mentality lead by our fool PM....

And in other news, Canada had 5 covid deaths today amongst a population of 38 million ... country grinds to a halt as panic ensues... dumb politicians each trying to outdo each other in hysterical fear mongering and general incompetence .... while real economic apocalypse continues.... and countless businesses shut down. In Canada(facts): "Anything you can do to help your heart. Exercise and eating well are massively more important than the more obscure ways people worry about dying." "You are more likely to die from a car accident than from Covid-19." "You are more likely to die from cardiovascular diseases, or cancer, than from Covid-19."
#TimeToTravel
#StupidityShowsNoBounds
#StockholmSyndrome

I think you're taking it a little extreme but I'd agree that the reality is somewhere in between.

A lot of it has to do with the threshold of paranoia or fear of individuals and how one should respect this and subsequently how it effects ones quality of life. I'll admit, I don't fear the virus at all but still try to be considerate of those that are by pretending to give a **** by following protocol and using common sense. Common sense is the big thing here, a lot of people don't have it, which is why the measures taken are so extreme. It's unfortunate, but what is the alternative when you know something that kills people can be prevented?

Yes it sucks but you need to create fear in order for the people that lack common sense to take things seriously.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,188

Post#105 » by GooniesNeverDie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:21 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:covid deaths in canada do not make the top fifty deaths in any province or the country... but yes... lets keep pumping the false narrative.... classic Stockholm syndrome mentality lead by our fool PM....

#TimeToTravel
#StupidityShowsNoBounds
#StockholmSyndrome
unfortunately you live in Canada where the fear mongering politicians implemented lockdowns and other safety protocols. would've been lucky if you lived in India where they didn't take it as seriously and now many cities and more specifically small towns are facing catastrophic losses .

it only feels like a joke because our country took it seriously.

Sent from my SM-G960F using RealGM mobile app
madcatz
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#106 » by madcatz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:52 am

Sadly, deaths/hospitalization will most likely increase after the spike. A lot will only take it seriously if they or someone else is affected. I thought it was just a flu, until my dad died last April, three weeks battle in the hospital. No visitation and the only contact was a kind nurse with his cellphone. And he's a healthy one jogs everyday. Covid really have different reactions most just got some mild symptoms. Like others said, you likely wont die from it but there's a high probability that you can spread it and infect someone who has high risk.
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#107 » by execoftheyear » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:06 am

GooniesNeverDie wrote:

#TimeToTravel
#StupidityShowsNoBounds
#StockholmSyndrome
unfortunately you live in Canada where the fear mongering politicians implemented lockdowns and other safety protocols. would've been lucky if you lived in India where they didn't take it as seriously and now many cities and more specifically small towns are facing catastrophic losses .

There's countless stories of people thinking this thing is a hoax until someone close to them gets it or they themselves catch it. It just baffles me that people are oblivious to how bad this thing can get in such a short amount of time given how several different countries from different parts of the world have seen the worst of it. It's always the same story coming out of these hard hit countries, hospitals get overwhelmed and health care workers are faced with a tough decision on who to save and who to reject treatment to. You'd think that by now people will realize that this isn't some kind of coincidence given several countries have experienced the same thing and that this isn't some scare tactic that has some sort of malicious intent behind it. Sadly, the only time people will come to this realization is when it hits close to home which I really hope doesn't happen.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,093

Post#108 » by Westside Gunn » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 am

this is what happens when you have access to so much bull information. the internet used to be a blessing, but now every methhead has access to it and can publish information that other methhead followers will spread via social media.

we are also extremely spoiled to be living in large ass countries that keeps us ignoring the magnitude of this. other countries are either too tiny or densely populated with 40 people sleeping in a closet.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#109 » by TorontoRapsFan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:19 am

GooniesNeverDie wrote:

#TimeToTravel
#StupidityShowsNoBounds
#StockholmSyndrome

Even worse. India actually tried and implemented one of the most stringent lockdowns in the world. It just couldn't stand up to the rest of the factors the country has in place.
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#110 » by TorontoRapsFan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:30 am

#TimeToTravel
#StupidityShowsNoBounds
#StockholmSyndrome

I suggest you use the hospitalization/death rate of seniors as your measuring stick. Otherwise GTFO with your policy decisions. You don't get to choose what percentage of the population gets to be considered dispensable. And what are these freedoms that are so under attack in Canada because of COVID? Our national security measures and corporation rights to data collection and use is much more of a problem for freedom than any lockdown resulting from COVID.

I don't understand people who have these types of freedom fears, typically right wingers. If you look around, the freedoms of people to what happens to their community, city, country, has already been lost to almost a complete degree to big business and social policing institutions. Basically any institution that doesn't have meaningful civilian oversight. And even more mind buggling, they tend to be right wingers, or rely on right wing politics and voters. How is it that you can't see how the fear of losing freedoms has been the biggest fear mongering and freedom impinging flag for these people? I mean you can look across the border to see what loss of freedom is like in a democratic country and it's spearheaded by exactly those types of people.
DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Post#111 » by DHK » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 am

This thread is a good example of what's going on in the real world. A majority of people are following protocol but there's a few people with a warped sensed of logic, completely entrenched in their views who believes in not following regulations for stupid reasons and ruins it for everyone as they become a potential super spreader.
I seriously hope those posters in here are just trolling. Would be relieved to know they're trolling though those idiots holding those protests at Queens Park and Dundas Square would say otherwise

Also found this in the Toronto subreddit:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-anti-mask-chris-sky-quarantine-protest-1.5741822

-Anti-masker breaking quarantine after traveling to Europe
-one of the posters here raving about traveling to Europe cheaply and talking about how "well" it is there and think this is a hoax
I wonder if they're the same person...
canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,031

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#112 » by canz55 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:03 pm

noname2797 wrote:
canz55 wrote:
noname2797 wrote:This post should be flagged. This guy is literally a part of the problem we're creating. Fear-mongering over 'draconian' measures is so insane. What measures has the Ontario government put out that can be considered draconian? Shutting down bars is draconian? Idiot. This is a public health issue. We can't rely on people doing the right thing. All it takes is one person not doing the right thing to break down the whole system.

Testing is important to understand how far COVID-19 has spread and for Contact Tracers to let people around you know that you were infected so they can go get tested. It's about tracing the goddamn disease.

You sound like a Trumpian rat. These aren't draconian measures... We're literally just trying to make sure everyone can be healthy during these times.

TLDR: Go get tested. It's important to know how far the COVID has spread and what actions we need to take further.
I'm fear mongering? How about you turn on the local news bud - you don't know what fear mongering is.

City News Toronto ran a bull story as their headliner last week where they interview that moron who runs the Institute of Health Metrics Evaluation (IHME) saying that between now and the end of the year, Ontario should anticipate 4,400 more Covid-19 deaths which would make a total of 7,300 deaths.

According to them, there will be more deaths over the remaining 102 days of the year (4,471 over Sept. 21st through Dec. 31st) than there has been in the entire outbreak up to the present (2,829 over Mar. 11th through Sept. 20th).

You want to scare the living hell out of people? Keep watching the news where supposed experts make preposterous predictions every other day. This is the world we're living in but because I'm pointing this out I'm a Trump supporter - got it

I literally don't understand your point or your post -- take a second and re-read it. Either you think the "moron" who runs the IHME is lying or you don't think 4,400 deaths is statistically significant enough to warrant action.

Or maybe you think that these predictions are baseless? I'm sorry but what school did you study from? Do you have a phd and studied epidemiology? What are your qualifications to deny statements from the IHME? Morons will want to deny something. Look man, idk what you do for a living but each of us specialize in some type of thing. Someone from the IHME isn't going to tell you how to fix your toilet.

Do I need to explain to you the significance of these deaths?

In regards to lack of fear. I, for one, don't feel afraid. If I catch COVID, I catch COVID. But! I'm trying my absolute best to follow what doctors and professionals preach to avoid it. It's easy. My life doesn't change much. I live my life, see my friends socially distantly. If sometimes it's not safe for a period because of high community spread... fine I'll stay home. It's not about living in fear, it's about living in a state of awareness for yourself and others.
Let me spell it out for you: there will not be 4 thousand (plus) deaths between now and December 31st in Ontario. I'm not claiming to be a virologist but some of these ridiculous predictions need to be called out.

Good luck getting the Canadian media to take a more measured approach though - they want sensationalist reporting because it ups their viewership. Meanwhile it puts pressure on government to "do something" because of the fear being stoked among people who consume lots of mainstream news content.

ImageWe the Champs...
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,923

Post#113 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:17 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:

#TimeToTravel
#StupidityShowsNoBounds
#StockholmSyndrome

I suggest you use the hospitalization/death rate of seniors as your measuring stick. Otherwise GTFO with your policy decisions. You don't get to choose what percentage of the population gets to be considered dispensable. And what are these freedoms that are so under attack in Canada because of COVID? Our national security measures and corporation rights to data collection and use is much more of a problem for freedom than any lockdown resulting from COVID.

I don't understand people who have these types of freedom fears, typically right wingers. If you look around, the freedoms of people to what happens to their community, city, country, has already been lost to almost a complete degree to big business and social policing institutions. Basically any institution that doesn't have meaningful civilian oversight. And even more mind buggling, they tend to be right wingers, or rely on right wing politics and voters. How is it that you can't see how the fear of losing freedoms has been the biggest fear mongering and freedom impinging flag for these people? I mean you can look across the border to see what loss of freedom is like in a democratic country and it's spearheaded by exactly those types of people.

This has nothing to do with beliefs.. and everything to do with stats.... save your bs opinions and Stockholm Syndrome worshipping for the preachers like Trudeau and our incompetent media and other politicians who know fk all....

Covid has been the most over hyped non plague event of our lifetime.... with the best pr anywhere!! Lol as one famous Stanford Head of Medical school proclaimed a while ago ... the fools out there ideed drank all the jim jones coolaide....

This is not the Spanish Flu of 1918... but the pumpers out there made you believe so.... so many fools...

Stats don't lie... but pumpers gonna believe what they wanna beleive...
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,864

Post#114 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:19 pm

If only everyone was as objective as me and did their own research on youtube and reddit.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,899

Post#115 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:

#TimeToTravel
#StupidityShowsNoBounds
#StockholmSyndrome

This has nothing to do with beliefs.. and everything to do with stats.... save your bs opinions and Stockholm Syndrome worshipping for the preachers like Trudeau and our incompetent media and other politicians who know fk all....

Covid has been the most over hyped non plague event of our lifetime.... with the best pr anywhere!! Lol as one famous Stanford Head of Medical school proclaimed a while ago ... the fools out there ideed drank all the jim jones coolaide....

This is not the Spanish Flu of 1918... but the pumpers out there made you believe so.... so many fools...

To summarize your argument:

**** old people and the vulnerable.
BigBoss23
Junior
And1: 484

Post#116 » by BigBoss23 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:33 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:

To summarize your argument:

**** old people and the vulnerable.

No it means the vulnerable need to take proper precautions and not the entire population.

I am not responsible for someone else’s grandparents. Just like no one is responsible for my parents and I will take the proper measures if I feel I might be at a “high risk” event aka not see parents for two weeks if thats what it takes.

Life goes on, the mentality of “eliminating the spread” is insanity to me. Have we eliminated the flu? Didnt think so.

Statstically the average person has a greater chance of dying from everyday causes yet I dont see life stopping because of that.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,926

Post#117 » by bape_lovers » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:39 pm

yep..saw people playing Soccer last weekend, it seems it was a tournament or sth

Westside Gunn wrote:I personally observed people stopped giving a shiet. Went for a drive and there was a lineup of cars on the street to get into a park, indicating that the parking lot was full. Outdoor basketball courts in schools have been FILLED with people as soon as the cities put the nets back on.

Rec league hockey is operating. Employers are bringing people back in the office. And Brampton continues to party.

Thankfully, I don't know anyone personally that has sent their kids to school, but I still see kids going to school. People need to stop treating school like daycare.

But we did see all of this coming didn't we?

MOST IMPORTANTLY***** TOILET PAPER IS FLYING OFF OF SHELVES
GET A BIDET ITS 2020

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,308

Post#118 » by ruckus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:If only everyone was as objective as me and did their own research on youtube and reddit.

Dont forget facebook. I get all my news from facebook.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,864

Post#119 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 pm

BigBoss23 wrote:No it means the vulnerable need to take proper precautions and not the entire population.

I am not responsible for someone else’s grandparents. Just like no one is responsible for my parents and I will take the proper measures if I feel I might be at a “high risk” event aka not see parents for two weeks if thats what it takes.

Life goes on, the mentality of “eliminating the spread” is insanity to me. Have we eliminated the flu? Didnt think so.

Statstically the average person has a greater chance of dying from everyday causes yet I dont see life stopping because of that.

The government currently takes some of your money and just straight up gives it to someone else's grandparents. Crazy, right? They also take some of your money and give it to hospitals and doctors to treat people not named BigBoss23! Unbelievably insane! Sometimes they even take your money and fix some roads that other people drive on, or clean water that other people drink so they don't get sick and die. What an absurd system! You know who is actually "responsible" for your parents? Everyone else! Yikes!

Statistically, when lots of people started dying in car crashes, we mandated things like seat belts and crumple zones and airbags and child seats and lots of other safety features. Crazy! Planes used to crash all the time too, and now they don't. Even though life went on (for other people) when they did! Wow!
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,308

Post#120 » by ruckus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 pm

I never thought I'd say this as a numbers guy but **** statistics.

Over the past 6 months, I've never seen stats so horribly miscontrued and taken out of context.

Eye test says people are getting sick and losing their lives. Plain and simple. We've been given the tools to minimize the loss of life and some people just can't put their own selfishness aside to use those tools.

Citing statistics when it comes to loss of life. Lol. Get out of here with that bull.

Return to Toronto Raptors