ImageImageImageImageImage

Oddsmaker places Gobert to Toronto at 50-50

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,087

Re: Oddsmaker places Gobert to Toronto at 50-50 

Post#101 » by Clutch0z24 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:45 am

mtcan wrote:
Clutch0z24 wrote:One thing that annoys me is people in here throwing out price tags on players and their contracts as if that matters for a team like the Raptors.....Get the best players here and let the Billionaires worry about the price tag not you....Gobert costs alot sure....But let me tell you this...There are no magical free agents that are going to sign in Toronto especially someone worth a Max contract....The chances of that player wanting to come to Toronto in free agency is pretty slim for us since our existence we have not signed any type of player thats worth that kinda money...

Not saying Gobert is that player but if we are going to make a trade for Gobert who has a high price tag or trade for Ayton and give him a near max contract just be happy about bringing in players of that level instead of worrying about Money you will never have to pay....And like i said Raptors do NOT build through free agency we build through the draft and trades period.

Reality is that there is a salary cap...and in that case you need to consider the value proposition in terms of what a player will bring vs how badly he will hamper this team's ability to make moves or resign our own players.

Gobert hasn't been able to stay on the court and be impactful in the playoffs for at least the last 3 seasons. Teams go small and load up around the perimeter and then all the sudden, Gobert's useless defensively. On offence...he's just a rim runner. He doesn't 3s and he has no post game.

If I want a rim running shot blocker...I think we can find one in the draft and develop him. That guy would provide 70% of what Rudy provides at a huge discount compared to Rudy.

You do know Billionaire owners can go OVER the cap to resign their own players right? ......If you have a contender level team competing for titles then its up to the Owner to pay all their guys and go over the tax to do so.....It has 0 effect on the fans or you watching the team and rooting for them....

I am not saying Gobert is the guy to get im just saying people cry way to much about what said players going to make as if it matters for Toronto who are not a free agent destination and never have been and won't be unless some of these Canadian players wanna come here....

The cap is going up and if the Owners are serious about contending or want a guy like a Gobert or trade and Max a guy out like Ayton why do lots of people cry about it as if it will effect them? ....If it helps the team get better and win games and Masai thinks that it will just trust the guy....We are NOT going to use that money if we do S&T for Ayton or get Gobert on any other Miracle Free agent thats a max player so....And like i said if you wanna resign your guys you can by going over the Tax to pay guys....

Oh and you are not going to find anyone in the draft on Rudys level lmao are you insane? Rudy is a multiple time defensive player of the year and one of the best Defending big man of this generation...No one in the draft is going to be on that level .....Especially at #33....The player we draft at 33 is more likely going to be playing for the 905 and has a good chance of not even being in the league in 4 years....
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#102 » by LastNameEver » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:07 am

oddsmakers can **** off

but seriously another guy who would be a better commodity if he wasn’t making a quarter billion
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,336

Post#103 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:22 am

C Court wrote:Masai believes in good team chemistry, on and off the court. Reports out of Utah are that Gobert is not well liked by anyone.

I can't forget the fake coughing on his teammates, when it turns out he did in fact have covid.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,198

Post#104 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:36 am

Los_29 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
I think most people hate giving up anything for Gobert, but why I posted this was a oddsmaker put Gobert to Toronto at 50-50. I don't think it is exactly cause for alarm, but the fact we keep hearing this stuff makes me think it has legs.

I do think people on this board show some flaws in how they approach defense. You need an anchor and if you trade OG, you need to get a player back who does what he does and more. Gobert is the best defender in the NBA:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Last year's numbers:
14.7 Rebounds per game (1st)
2.2 Blocks per game (3rd)
36.4 Defensive rebounding percentage (1st)
25.1 Total rebounding percentage (1st)
4.1 Defensive win shares (3rd)
.265 Win shares per 48 minutes (3rd)
103.5 Defensive rating (2nd)
6.8 Defensive RAPTOR (1st)
3.57 D-LEBRON (2nd)

Gobert contests 5.2 3-pointers per game, holding opponents to 33.3% accuracy.

he is VERY good defensively and can get easy baskets around the basket. its not his fault when Mitchell doesn't pass to him even when he's wide open.

The team doesn’t pass to Gobert because their offense is better when he has less touches. He’s really, really bad offensively.

ya i get he's inefficient when he's on the offensive end, when it comes to scoring. and he's 30yo too. he'd still be a game changer in terms of overall effectiveness on defense and offensive rebounding. he's also a decent passer as well. generational defender in Gobert who averages 16ppg on high %s albiet limited. Utah doesn't have a FVV either. Raptors would be a scary defensive team.

but only glaring issue is our depth takes a massive hit and ability to score becomes more predicated on Siakam, FVV, and Barnes' jump in his scoring ability/jumper.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,811

Post#105 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:43 am

That's a big leap. Doubt many other books are close to that. Seems like a good way to hedge and play both sides? Most places I've seen have had the Raps at like +400.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,599

Post#106 » by mtcan » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:46 am

Clutch0z24 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
Clutch0z24 wrote:One thing that annoys me is people in here throwing out price tags on players and their contracts as if that matters for a team like the Raptors.....Get the best players here and let the Billionaires worry about the price tag not you....Gobert costs alot sure....But let me tell you this...There are no magical free agents that are going to sign in Toronto especially someone worth a Max contract....The chances of that player wanting to come to Toronto in free agency is pretty slim for us since our existence we have not signed any type of player thats worth that kinda money...

Not saying Gobert is that player but if we are going to make a trade for Gobert who has a high price tag or trade for Ayton and give him a near max contract just be happy about bringing in players of that level instead of worrying about Money you will never have to pay....And like i said Raptors do NOT build through free agency we build through the draft and trades period.

Reality is that there is a salary cap...and in that case you need to consider the value proposition in terms of what a player will bring vs how badly he will hamper this team's ability to make moves or resign our own players.

Gobert hasn't been able to stay on the court and be impactful in the playoffs for at least the last 3 seasons. Teams go small and load up around the perimeter and then all the sudden, Gobert's useless defensively. On offence...he's just a rim runner. He doesn't 3s and he has no post game.

If I want a rim running shot blocker...I think we can find one in the draft and develop him. That guy would provide 70% of what Rudy provides at a huge discount compared to Rudy.

You do know Billionaire owners can go OVER the cap to resign their own players right? ......If you have a contender level team competing for titles then its up to the Owner to pay all their guys and go over the tax to do so.....It has 0 effect on the fans or you watching the team and rooting for them....

I am not saying Gobert is the guy to get im just saying people cry way to much about what said players going to make as if it matters for Toronto who are not a free agent destination and never have been and won't be unless some of these Canadian players wanna come here....

The cap is going up and if the Owners are serious about contending or want a guy like a Gobert or trade and Max a guy out like Ayton why do lots of people cry about it as if it will effect them? ....If it helps the team get better and win games and Masai thinks that it will just trust the guy....We are NOT going to use that money if we do S&T for Ayton or get Gobert on any other Miracle Free agent thats a max player so....And like i said if you wanna resign your guys you can by going over the Tax to pay guys....

Oh and you are not going to find anyone in the draft on Rudys level lmao are you insane? Rudy is a multiple time defensive player of the year and one of the best Defending big man of this generation...No one in the draft is going to be on that level .....Especially at #33....The player we draft at 33 is more likely going to be playing for the 905 and has a good chance of not even being in the league in 4 years....

Yes of course owners CAN go into luxury tax to field a competitive team but that team has to be a perennial finals team to make it worth it. No owner will ever agree to go into luxury tax if the team treadmills because it can't go deep in the playoffs and has bad contracts that can't be moved. I love Rudy's rebounding and shot blocking but really...that is all he brings. This would both relegate the Raptors to treadmill status (have you seen the many many scoring droughts and the dreadful half court offence especially in the playoffs?) and at some point Gobert's contract hits John Wall/Russell Westbrook status as an unmovable contract.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#107 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:51 am

goinrogue wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:
goinrogue wrote:Fred and Gary for Rudy works.
I’m kidding but seriously:
Scottie, OG, precious, pascal and Rudy lol.

Fred, Malachi, khem and Svi for Rudy works.

Yeah I'd rather have Fred or Gary out as the main piece instead of OG

To be fair I do think it would be OG and Gary for Rudy. Starting lineup:
Fred, Scottie, precious, pascal and Rudy.

But it’s possible to trade Fred and filler.

Would you rather have OG defend that 2 guard spot or Precious? That's the problem here. Siakam or Precious are the players that defend the 2 guard spot because Barnes cannot as well. That seems to be really taking away a strength, as does making us less switchable.

We are talking only about the difference between OG guarding Centres and Gobert guarding twos. At the end of the day, which adds up to more of a positive on defence? I can't say Gobert.

Gobert likely helps us slaughter the bottom 2/3 of the league, making those random losses to a New Orleans or Bulls less likely, and be better vs the Sixers and maybe the Heat, leaving us exposed to teams like the Celtics and Warriors.

Gobert helps the right now but he's not the solution as a championship fit.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#108 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:52 am

OakleyDokely wrote:These type of reports are mostly the media analyzing the Raptors through a traditional team building lens and concluding they need a traditional C when Masai/Webster have displayed through their actions a commitment to a non traditional way of team building.

This.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,811

Post#109 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:07 pm

Anyway, despite the odds being silly, I think Gobert's value might be a little less than expected.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,578

Post#110 » by vulture » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:07 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:These type of reports are mostly the media analyzing the Raptors through a traditional team building lens and concluding they need a traditional C when Masai/Webster have displayed through their actions a commitment to a non traditional way of team building.

This.

I can’t imagine Masai giving up OG and Trent for gobert. There is no doubt this team would be a top 5 defense with him but where is the offense coming from when you give up nearly 30% of it? Plus gobert has 4 years remaining at 160 million and there is no flexibility to get some shooting.

Also can we stop overrating NAW? He just a one way player who doesn’t even shoot it well and can’t play in the playoffs.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,032

Post#111 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:19 pm

vulture wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

This.

I can’t imagine Masai giving up OG and Trent for gobert. There is no doubt this team would be a top 5 defense with him but where is the offense coming from when you give up nearly 30% of it? Plus gobert has 4 years remaining at 160 million and there is no flexibility to get some shooting.

Also can we stop overrating NAW? He just a one way player who doesn’t even shoot it well and can’t play in the playoffs.

NAW would be a reclamation piece that Nurse has some familiarity with, but I don't see this being fair value for OG + Trent. Gobert's age, contract and chemistry fit with Utah + Ayton's availability should depress his value.

As you said, it would create too many needs for the Raptors while just addressing one.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,892

Post#112 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:23 pm

Mitchell is a bigger need and makes more sense than Gobert if the Raps want to package some of their core together. At least he's a half court creator and shot maker and he's a younger player who won't decline as quickly.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,338

Post#113 » by pilkoids » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:25 pm

If we're trading OG, i'd rather Ayton. Gobert is 30 and isn't overcoming his weaknesses at this stage in his career.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,198

Post#114 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:35 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
vulture wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
This.

NAW would be a reclamation piece that Nurse has some familiarity with, but I don't see this being fair value for OG + Trent. Gobert's age, contract and chemistry fit with Utah + Ayton's availability should depress his value.

As you said, it would create too many needs for the Raptors while just addressing one.

ya it would open other holes as well, as of right now, the Raptors didn't have an answer to cover OG and Trent's offense. I don't think it's a worthy endeavour on paper seeing how the Raptors already have a top 10 defense last year.

Raptors missing a two way talent right now, whose offense in the half court would solve pretty much everything. thats who I would trade for if I had to trade OG and Trent today.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,723

Post#115 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:41 pm

Mitchell Robinson for the MLE is probably the better way to go.
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,895

Post#116 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:59 pm

LiSTWithLani wrote:
Tripod wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:Raptors RealGM: Every. Centre. Sucks.

No.

It's that contract matters. Age matters. Acquiring cost matters. Trading away shooters when you ĺack shooters matters. Etc...

I mentioned Hartenstein earlier. He can give the Raps that bigger C who plays good D and can supply some offense. And having him and Achiuwa allows the Raps to match up better in all situations. And at a fraction of cap hit AND only costs a contract, keeping everyone else.

Going after Rudy is overkill.

I think that people don't understand the cap at all. The only argument that I see is that the cap is rising, so by 2026, his contract may not seem to be such an albatross. Generally speaking, I think that his prime years are behind him. He's 30, has a massive frame and really one dimensional offense. Big guys are typically prone to injury, so it's a very big risk to pay them a max slot.

I'm not exactly against going all-in, but I don't view Rudy as the guy to put us over the top at all. I actually think that he fits well with Pascal, but I don't nearly see it with Scottie. I do see Precious being ideal with Scottie and Gary really amped up his game this past year defensively. I would FAR rather keep our assets, sign Hartenstein or Bamba (similar defensively, with a far greater upside on offense and most certainly will be less than half the salary as well.

Just think about that, you have the option of just Gobert or all of Gary, Scottie & (Hartenstein/ Bamba).

I also don't believe the OG unhappy rumours and don't think that you compound that by sacrificing the now more-necessary Gary after trading OG.

Spoiler:
This feels like Masai trying to figure out who his mole is or which teams actually can keep their lips sealed by fake-leaking information.

Raptors Realgm on Centres Pt.2:

Every. Scrub. Centre. is. Great.
Only. Guards. and. Wings. Should. Make. any. Money.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,653

Post#117 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:00 pm

No sane person could look at this team’s performance v Philly and determine that Rudy is the answer. This is all so stupid.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,892

Post#118 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:07 pm

The other point nobody is talking about is that you'd have to deal with Danny Ainge. He reportedly wanted Collins, Hunter and 1st from the Hawks for Gobert.

Good luck dealing with him.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,599

Post#119 » by mtcan » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:09 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:The other point nobody is talking about is that you'd have to deal with Danny Ainge. He reportedly wanted Collins, Hunter and 1st from the Hawks for Gobert.

Not just a first. He want the 16th pick from this draft plus a future first. That is way too much.
Dexjackson
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#120 » by Dexjackson » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:28 pm

mtcan wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:The other point nobody is talking about is that you'd have to deal with Danny Ainge. He reportedly wanted Collins, Hunter and 1st from the Hawks for Gobert.

Not just a first. He want the 16th pick from this draft plus a future first. That is way too much.

Wow he'd out of his mind! He has more value to the Hawks than he does to us because they desperately need more defense and have Trae can make up for his offensive shortcomings and benefit from his screens. There are so many cons to us trading for him - age, salary, cost of players to match his salary (OG + GTJ), Offensive fit, culture fit, etc. I don't understand how we are the favorite to trade for him. Makes zero sense.

Return to Toronto Raptors