ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 429

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V4.0 

Post#101 » by DoctaJ » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:16 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Bennet should have a lot of time, he just got cut from his korean basketball league team... ouch.

Where'd you see that he got cut? One perspective is that he left the team for personal reasons and is looking to sign on to a team in Taiwan - where he played previously.

Kind of seems like he signed in South Korea, got there, didn't seem to like it, and left back for Taiwan.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,903

Post#102 » by mojo13 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:40 pm

DoctaJ wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Bennet should have a lot of time, he just got cut from his korean basketball league team... ouch.

Where'd you see that he got cut? One perspective is that he left the team for personal reasons and is looking to sign on to a team in Taiwan - where he played previously.

Kind of seems like he signed in South Korea, got there, didn't seem to like it, and left back for Taiwan.

Yeah...seems more like a coach/club/country thing.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He did put up 22p/12r/3a/0.3b/3s on 51/33/76 shooting last year in Taiwan. I doubt the S Korean League is any more competitive.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,791

Post#103 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:04 pm

Some random content on one of the top Canadian prospects - Efeosa Oliogu. I guess Overtime Elite had a "Pro day" the other day. The guys at the No Ceilings podcast gave their impressions on a bunch of the top prospects.

The stuff on Oliogu starts at about the 35 minute mark (and goes for about 5 minutes). They seem quite impressed by his overall game.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2pksYwQt0QJAdUav2azP6G?si=6c456a8bc6394a1a
mojo13
Veteran

Post#104 » by mojo13 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:51 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Some random content on one of the top Canadian prospects - Efeosa Oliogu. I guess Overtime Elite had a "Pro day" the other day. The guys at the No Ceilings podcast gave their impressions on a bunch of the top prospects.

The stuff on Oliogu starts at about the 35 minute mark (and goes for about 5 minutes). They seem quite impressed by his overall game.

Interesting to watch for sure. In the 2025 class and the ranking sites have him around 20 or so. So still no sure thing NBA player by any means but a solid shot.

It has me thinking about the 2024 NBA draft and how it may be a tough one for Canada.
Since 2010, Canada has had a player drafter every year except 2020. Is 2024 going to be a repeat? Is the pipeline getting a little dry?

Search the mock drafts and you really won't see any Canadian names besides Edey as a late 2nd rounder in the odd one (not the norm).

After the amazing NCAA year Edey had last season and the NBA basically responding by saying they didnt want him, it is tough to see him move up the draft boards unless he puts up a truly insane season. You all may think differently but I'm not optimistic about Edey getting drafted (but likely will be on someone's roster).

However, every year there seems to be a couple suprises they seem to come out of nowhere (or at least don't start the season on anyone's mocks) O-Max was an example of this last season.

So who has a realistic chance here? Ryan Nembhard maybe? Or is he just too small? Nembhard may be one of the best PGs in the enation. Could Emmanuel Miller finally break through as a 5th year senior? Seems doubtful he'd be draftable at his age.
It won't be Fardaws Aimaq (too old, too unathletic) and I'm pretty certain at this point it won't be Elijah Fisher.

Who else has a chance?
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,447

Post#105 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:33 pm

Wanted to put this somewhere. This thread will do.

Read on Twitter
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 23,204

Post#106 » by ItsDanger » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:39 pm

mojo13 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:Some random content on one of the top Canadian prospects - Efeosa Oliogu. I guess Overtime Elite had a "Pro day" the other day. The guys at the No Ceilings podcast gave their impressions on a bunch of the top prospects.

Interesting to watch for sure. In the 2025 class and the ranking sites have him around 20 or so. So still no sure thing NBA player by any means but a solid shot.

It has me thinking about the 2024 NBA draft and how it may be a tough one for Canada.
Since 2010, Canada has had a player drafter every year except 2020. Is 2024 going to be a repeat? Is the pipeline getting a little dry?

Search the mock drafts and you really won't see any Canadian names besides Edey as a late 2nd rounder in the odd one (not the norm).

After the amazing NCAA year Edey had last season and the NBA basically responding by saying they didnt want him, it is tough to see him move up the draft boards unless he puts up a truly insane season. You all may think differently but I'm not optimistic about Edey getting drafted (but likely will be on someone's roster).

However, every year there seems to be a couple suprises they seem to come out of nowhere (or at least don't start the season on anyone's mocks) O-Max was an example of this last season.

So who has a realistic chance here? Ryan Nembhard maybe? Or is he just too small? Nembhard may be one of the best PGs in the enation. Could Emmanuel Miller finally break through as a 5th year senior? Seems doubtful he'd be draftable at his age.
It won't be Fardaws Aimaq (too old, too unathletic) and I'm pretty certain at this point it won't be Elijah Fisher.

Who else has a chance?

Painter said he had a promise in the 35-40 range of last draft but he wasn't comfortable with the playing time situation (aside from neutral 1 year earning potential). When drafted in that range, you typically have 1-2 seasons to make your mark in the league otherwise, its the international leagues.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach

Post#107 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:04 pm

mojo13 wrote:

Who else has a chance?

Yeah, I think 2024 draft may be missing Canadians. Maybe someone takes a late 2nd flier on Edey. But aside from some amazing and unprecedented development of better defensive mobility, the only thing that would shift scouts' opinion at this point would be an outside shot, and Edey's just not going to get the opportunity to show that (even if he did develop it) under Matt Painter's system at Purdue.

The two real longshot wildcards would be if Michael Nwoko or Vasean Allette really ball out in their freshman seasons at Miami and Old Dominion (Miami will likely be a tournament team, and Allette will probably have the ball in his hands a lot), but I don't see that happening.
MonkeyBallZJr
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#108 » by MonkeyBallZJr » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:14 pm

mojo13 wrote:

Who else has a chance?

if we're still counting Aden Holloway as Canadian, then he has a chance. Like Ryan Nembhard, they're both a little bit undersize though.
Chalky_White
Pro Prospect
And1: 689

Post#109 » by Chalky_White » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:19 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

Who else has a chance?

Yeah, I think 2024 draft may be missing Canadians. Maybe someone takes a late 2nd flier on Edey. But aside from some amazing and unprecedented development of better defensive mobility, the only thing that would shift scouts' opinion at this point would be an outside shot, and Edey's just not going to get the opportunity to show that (even if he did develop it) under Matt Painter's system at Purdue.

The two real longshot wildcards would be if Michael Nwoko or Vasean Allette really ball out in their freshman seasons at Miami and Old Dominion (Miami will likely be a tournament team, and Allette will probably have the ball in his hands a lot), but I don't see that happening.

Vasean Allette seems promising. He's an older freshman which might help him(he'll be 19.5 yrs on opening night). And in interviews his goal seems to jump to the league right away.
Could impress team during draft workouts and be a late riser. Several teams are gonna have multiple picks and could decide to take a flyer. We'll see.
mtr15
Pro Prospect
And1: 39

Post#110 » by mtr15 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:28 pm

mojo13 wrote:

Who else has a chance?

For the 2025 class, Will RIley is one to watch. In the latest ESPN rankings for 2025, he was ranked #25 overall while Oliogu was at #43. Riley has tremendous shot making ability with nifty foot work and his passing and vision is top notch. He's from Kitchener, ON and is playing this season at The Phelps School near Philly. He had a great summer playing for UPLAY at the EYBL Circuit.

Another 2025 player to watch is Spencer Ahrens. He played last season at Pedsdmd Elite (St. Martin Secondary School) in Mississauga, ON and is playing this season at Sunrise Christian in Kansas. He had 53 points vs Inspire Academy in the OSBA last season.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#111 » by mojo13 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

What do you guys think?
Is this a sign that Primo's return could be coming soon?
Or maybe just that the league finally completed their investigation and announced an official suspension.

Before anyone gets up in arms about only 4 games - clearly time served was factored in here. The guy has been out for almost a year now. He played 4 games last season so this makes it a full 1 year (82 games) suspension.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach

Post#112 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:38 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

What do you guys think?
Or maybe just that the league finally completed their investigation and announced an official suspension.

Before anyone gets up in arms about only 4 games - clearly time served was factored in here. The guy has been out for almost a year now. He played 4 games last season so this makes it a full 1 year (82 games) suspension.

I just hope he took the time to sit down with a therapist and work through some of his issues (the ones he acknowledged in his initial public reaction) and address the underlying causes of the behaviour. He's still young, and still has promise as a player, but it's going to be a long road back to rehabilitate him completely in the eyes of the league and prospective employers.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him a shot, and he ends up spending a lot of time in the G-League this year getting back into game form.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#113 » by mojo13 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:52 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
mojo13 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

What do you guys think?

I just hope he took the time to sit down with a therapist and work through some of his issues (the ones he acknowledged in his initial public reaction) and address the underlying causes of the behaviour. He's still young, and still has promise as a player, but it's going to be a long road back to rehabilitate him completely in the eyes of the league and prospective employers.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him a shot, and he ends up spending a lot of time in the G-League this year getting back into game form.

Clippers it is.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,806

Post#114 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:34 am

Sounds like Clippers did their due diligence, and he is still under therapy/counseling ongoing.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2023-09-29/josh-primo-signing-clippers-nba-suspension
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
CharlieTO
Sophomore
And1: 226

Post#115 » by CharlieTO » Sun Oct 1, 2023 2:34 am

I believe in rehabilitation in many cases. He's a young guy that's still maturing. I think he should be given another chance. Hopefully he can turn things around.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,895

Post#116 » by And1Skip » Mon Oct 2, 2023 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
mojo13
Veteran

Post#117 » by mojo13 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 3:02 pm

And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Kid is going to be disappointed....

Seriosuly though. Too young, too inexperienced, no position need, not good enough at defence for a team built on elite wing defense.
Perhaps he could squeeze in as a 11th 12th man but hopefully this team has no need for him. For that need to happen a bunch of guys will need drop out or Sharpe will need to improve so drastically he can't be ignored (highly doubt that happens this soon). But I hope he is involved in some way (camp or whatever) to start bringing him into the system.

Assuming the current team stays healthy and available it is tough to see additions beyond Murray, Wiggins and/or Nembhard.
Another big would be nice, but I'm not sure where that would come from.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach

Post#118 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Oct 3, 2023 3:48 pm

Yeah, I'd love to see Sharpe in camp next summer to start to get him into the National Team fold, but highly unlikely he actually makes the team, unless a bunch of guys drop out or are unable to make it. For wing players, he won't make the team over Barrett, Brooks, Dort, or Murray. And NAW has put in his time, knows his role, and has generally played well.

So that's 5 wing guys ahead of him right now. And if we consider Wiggins a wing that's another. Also, if we're talking about young wing guys, I'd probably put Mathurin in ahead of him right now as well.

I think he'll be in serious consideration for the next window though (and if his development goes as hoped he might make it a foregone conclusion), especially since some of the guys that committed this time might not want to make another 3-year commitment so soon.
Chalky_White
Pro Prospect
And1: 689

Post#119 » by Chalky_White » Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:42 pm

mojo13 wrote:
And1Skip wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Kid is going to be disappointed....

Seriosuly though. Too young, too inexperienced, no position need, not good enough at defence for a team built on elite wing defense.
Perhaps he could squeeze in as a 11th 12th man but hopefully this team has no need for him. For that need to happen a bunch of guys will need drop out or Sharpe will need to improve so drastically he can't be ignored (highly doubt that happens this soon). But I hope he is involved in some way (camp or whatever) to start bringing him into the system.

Assuming the current team stays healthy and available it is tough to see additions beyond Murray, Wiggins and/or Nembhard.
Another big would be nice, but I'm not sure where that would come from.

Hoping Canada Basketball learned from this summer and find a way to bring the younger players in camp next summer as a sort of 'Select Team' to scrimmage with the senior guys. Keeping them in the fold even if they dont go with the team to Paris.
CharlieTO
Sophomore
And1: 226

Post#120 » by CharlieTO » Fri Oct 6, 2023 4:21 am

I love his confidence. He's gonna make it hard for them to keep him off the roster. I see him having a big season.

Return to Toronto Raptors