ImageImageImageImageImage

Will the ACC boo Al Horford?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

Vik Rude
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#101 » by Vik Rude » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:42 pm

Fans will for sure boo what had caused our starting PG to miss X amount of games thus far and knowing TJ's past doesn't help. Nothing personal on Horford, just the die hards doing what they do best. EXPRESS
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,756

Post#102 » by Shaazzam » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:43 pm

dinosaur_dan wrote:
Of course, just boo them for something they meant to do. Like Vince Carter quitting on the team, or (if you're a old-time grizzlies fan) for Steve Francis forcing a trade. TMac and Alonzo are both fine examples as well.

It shows love, but is that really the best way to do it? I could show that I love my girlfriend by beating up her boss that comes down on her too hard. However, that's clearly that's not a good way to go about things...

Gotcha, I see where you are coming from. But I think people are way too sensitive about the impact of booing or what it represents. And the whole idea of class actually irritates me, obviously because I feel it is okay to boo anyone I like on another team, for whatever reason I see fit.

Like I said before, it's not like people are threatening him, or making fun his family, or throwing batteries or anything extreme like that.

"I hate you Horford, you ************, I hope you rot in hell!" Now that would be classless. But to stand up and yell "Boooooooooooooo."

Come on. I just don't see it.

I guess I have to agree to disagree.
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#103 » by theSkinny » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:50 pm

Im with Shazz on this....

Booing and heckling is apart of sport, Regardless of how or why it happened he hurt our guy...and he deserves to hear how we feel about not having TJ on our team right now..

Im not upset at him as a human being but as an opposing player he always deserves to be heckled....as long as it doesnt cross the line into crude or filthy language..booing is perfectly acceptable

and horford is going to get his.....but keep it clean
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#104 » by inrapscity » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:55 pm

nice question. it didn't even occur to me. however, you'll always find people willing to boo. so, the answer is a simple yes. if i was at the game, i don't think that i'd boo him.
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#105 » by hoop_head » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:01 am

It does matter why you boo.

When a crowd boos a player, it's usually due to a falling-out of some sort with the player, take Vince Carter for an example.

Booing Horford because of the incident with TJ is a bit different. As the person receiving the boos, if it's because you left a team on bad terms or some other malignment, then you can probably let the boos roll off your back with no real harm done. In Horford's case, where I believe he meant TJ no harm but a serious injury occured, the boos might cut a little deeper and make Horford believe Toronto blames him for the incident, and considers him a dirty player (which is not the case). I have no problem with booing a player as a genuine show of disrespect, but in Horford's case, does he really deserve the boos?
j3yuen
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#106 » by j3yuen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:06 am

the ACC should boo the **** out of him....
anyone who doesn't boo isn't a fan... i mean c'mon... look at all the trouble he's put TJ through...

i'm sure he didn't mean to hit TJ on the head like that... he probably just thought his arm was a couple of feet longer...
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,756

Post#107 » by Shaazzam » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:08 am

hoop_head wrote:It does matter why you boo.

When a crowd boos a player, it's usually due to a falling-out of some sort with the player, take Vince Carter for an example.

Booing Horford because of the incident with TJ is a bit different. As the person receiving the boos, if it's because you left a team on bad terms or some other malignment, then you can probably let the boos roll off your back with no real harm done. In Horford's case, where I believe he meant TJ no harm but a serious injury occured, the boos might cut a little deeper and make Horford believe Toronto blames him for the incident, and considers him a dirty player (which is not the case). I have no problem with booing a player as a genuine show of disrespect, but in Horford's case, does he really deserve the boos?

As unabashed TJ fan, if I had seasons's tickets I would boo the crap out of him. Because he cost me the chance to see one of my favourite players on the team night in and night out.

For what ever reasons, and no matter what he did afterwards, and I commend him for all of that, it is his fault that TJ got smashed. His actions caused serios consequences for a player on my favourite team. We do blame him, because he did it.

And I really think people don't give players enough credit for being able to play in front of hostile crowds. These guys are studs and have probably been reviled in opposing gyms their whole lives. They aren't a bunch of pansies. They are professional athletes.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#108 » by bakafool » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 am

Negligence is still punishable. It's as simple as that.

I think our reasons for booing are justified, even moreso because it cost us one of our players for an extended period.

Dan gave us the boss-girlfriend example. Well, obviously you wouldn't beat the crap outta the boss. But giving him a piece of your mind is perfectly acceptable IMO. In this case, we're just giving Horford a piece of our mind. There's really no harm done whatsoever.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#109 » by jeffya2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:18 am

Shaazzam wrote:So here is a question for those so concerned about being classy.

Is it ever acceptable to boo a player on the other team?

And here's a curveball.

By booing Horford does that in turn show love for TJ? Saying that we've got his back?

Good question. If Harford grabbed TJ & threw his head to the ground with intent to injure then he would get a lot more then boo's {likely BOOZE} from me

but this situation is different here & TJ clearly said his last minute ball movement was too quick for Harford & caused him to miss the ball

As for the 2nd question. Yep TJ will feel some love & support if the fans boo {tough question}
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#110 » by hoop_head » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:20 am

Yes, I guess it would be natural to boo him, given that he was the player that caused TJ's injury. If it upscales to howling obscene verbal assaults at him, I would feel bad about it, he wouldn't deserve that.
uniballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,081

Post#111 » by uniballer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:25 am

What the hell... i cant believe what I read about people saying booing opposing players is classless??

if i was at the game im gonna be booing the opposing team no matter what... im not wishing ill will on them or bad luck i simply want to make it know that they are not on their home court anymore.

all the people that are saying booing is classless what do u wanna do when the hawks have the ball... sit there and wait for the raps to get the rebound then cheer.

The people that are saying they would never boo horford are prob the same ones that boo bargs when he misses a shot
Credit to the great TZ
from24ft
Banned User
And1: 2
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#112 » by from24ft » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:27 am

I don
dinosaur_dan
Pro Prospect
And1: 30

Post#113 » by dinosaur_dan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:59 am

After reading a few responses, I think I spoke too harshly. The act of booing other players is not classless, and is quite justified some times. I saw Houston a few years ago and booed the crap outta McGrady, and I loved the treatment that VC got in the playoffs.

I'm just not a fan of booing over nothing. I still look at Horford's accident as an unintentional accident, and nothing to get worked up about. If it was intentional...you'd be able to hear me booing from my living room.
darew9392
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#114 » by darew9392 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 am

damn this is basketball people. and on top of that its a sport. i cant believe some of the responses regarding having class or not. its being taken out of context way to much.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,156

Post#115 » by High 5 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:09 am

As a Hawks fan I don't see the problem with Toronto fans booing Horford. If it was VC type boo where the arena blows up everytime he touches the ball then that would be pretty lame, but it won't be like that. Horford expects to get booed, he has been booed before. I would find it weird if he didn't get booed.

So yeah, I wouldn't worry about being "classless." The way we played last night maybe some boos would get our team into the game. :dontknow:
Kosta
RealGM

Post#116 » by Kosta » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:12 am

I don't know about firestorm, but I'm sure there will be a nice volume of boos throughout, plus a few select hecklers sitting near the ATL bench.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,854

Post#117 » by Live Free » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:30 am

High 5 wrote:As a Hawks fan I don't see the problem with Toronto fans booing Horford. If it was VC type boo where the arena blows up everytime he touches the ball then that would be pretty lame, but it won't be like that. Horford expects to get booed, he has been booed before. I would find it weird if he didn't get booed.

So yeah, I wouldn't worry about being "classless." The way we played last night maybe some boos would get our team into the game. :dontknow:

yep
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#118 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:32 am

I too am a bit surprised by everyone who says that booing an opposing player is classless.

It's fun, it's part of the game, and I don't think the opposing players care at all what we think.
ICEMANRC
Sixth Man
And1: 49

Post#119 » by ICEMANRC » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 am

uniballer wrote:What the hell... i cant believe what I read about people saying booing opposing players is classless??

if i was at the game im gonna be booing the opposing team no matter what... im not wishing ill will on them or bad luck i simply want to make it know that they are not on their home court anymore.

all the people that are saying booing is classless what do u wanna do when the hawks have the ball... sit there and wait for the raps to get the rebound then cheer.

The people that are saying they would never boo horford are prob the same ones that boo bargs when he misses a shot

I don't think that people mean that booing is classless. They feel that it would be classless to Boo only Horford. I am all for booing the Hawks as a whole, but booing that one particular player is just ridiculous. He didn't try it, he was sorry for what he did, he went to the hospital, and on the Fan590 Hoops show the Hawks assitant coach says he is still feeling bad about it.
If you are going to boo, save up all your energy so you can boo everyone!
I may technically be a "coach", but I have been around for years.
from24ft
Banned User
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#120 » by from24ft » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:18 am

ICEMANRC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think that people mean that booing is classless. They feel that it would be classless to Boo only Horford. I am all for booing the Hawks as a whole, but booing that one particular player is just ridiculous. He didn't try it, he was sorry for what he did, he went to the hospital, and on the Fan590 Hoops show the Hawks assitant coach says he is still feeling bad about it.
If you are going to boo, save up all your energy so you can boo everyone!

He doesn

Return to Toronto Raptors