ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks rumoured to offer FVV 22M per year

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,839

Re: Knicks rumoured to offer FVV 22M per year 

Post#121 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:36 am

mademan wrote:Lowkey, im not sure if he's better than Norm or if he's just given more of a green light.

Somewhere, in some town or city, Boogie! just blurted out. "Did you hear that? I swore I heard something."
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,535
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#122 » by SharoneWright » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:42 am

Not only should we let FVV walk for that dollar amount. We should also be trading Lowry.

FVV is too expensive and Lowry is too old.

Pascal is overpaid already. And we still need to lock up OG. And save cap for Giannis.

The Lowry trade should net us a couple decent players (including a guard, X) and a 1st rounder.

Back court next year is weak, with TD2, X, Norman, and Thomas, and a kid we draft in the first round.

But we re-up Ibaka for a slight discount, and we roll with a great front court, first round picks, and emerging cap space.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,839

Post#123 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:43 am

tecumseh18 wrote:I don't think that's a ridiculous amount of money. Raps looked great last season when Lowry was out and Fred was running the show. Better than when they were both healthy and we had two tiny guards.
Spoiler:
As the Boston series proved, that's just too easy to defend. But Fred and Norm (or Kyle and Norm) were a functional pairing.

Either Fred or Kyle is going to be the starting point guard next season. The other one will be gone. It all comes down to what Kyle wants. He's still looking good, and with Chris Paul's renaissance I don't think there's a stigma against older smaller PGs. But Masai is not in the habit of losing assets for nothing. He signed Nene to the big deal, then traded him after a few months.

Agree. Kyle and Fred on the floor together just demolishes bottom half teams, but, against tall quality teams, I'd rather see one, or the other, out there with Norm.

We will sign Fred, and then trade him if need be.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Post#124 » by Klayforspicy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:53 am

FVV is not the key to raptors winning, we are not contenders as currently assembled.

In order to salvage the Siakim deal we will need a guy whos better than him, easier said than done. FVV money is a road blockade.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,742

Post#125 » by mademan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:55 am

Grab Kriss Dunn for a fraction of the price and give him Raps shooting coach. Dude will be a star
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,965

Post#126 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:55 am

Fred is unfortunately not an ideal starting point guard or shooting guard, but he's the perfect third guard off the bench. $22 mil/per could literally be a quarter of the cap next season. You can't do it.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#127 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:00 am

mademan wrote:Grab Kriss Dunn for a fraction of the price and give him Raps shooting coach. Dude will be a star

I've actually always liked Kris Dunn but he's RFA and will probably get more than we would be willing to give.

I would try to snipe Alec Burks he looked good against the Celtics. Maybe Tristan Thompson would come home on a discount.
VintageVince
Rookie
And1: 926

Post#128 » by VintageVince » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:02 am

Yosemite Dan wrote:
VintageVince wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:
If we have to trade him because he underperforms? Not a chance unless you take some bloated contract back to make salaries match. Does no one know the rules about trades? You can’t trade a 22 million dollar player for a draft pick and call it a day. The other team you’re trading with also knows that they’re doing you a favour and aren’t giving up the farm to make the Raps happy. You gotta take thier overpaid **** in return.

I don't think he will under perform. I am saying we trade him later in the year next year or the year after that.

Why trade him if he performs up to his contract? Isn’t that the point of signing him? Because he’s a valuable asset for the team and is being paid for it? And even then how much are you getting for an undersized guard? They’re a dime a dozen. We only got something great for Demar because Kawhi was a huge risk at the time. He was considered damaged goods and a bit of a head case for an injury that Uncle Dennis held the Spurs at ransom with. And one year away from free agency. There weren’t teams lining up to trade for him. We got him because the Spurs were desperate to get something decent for him before he bolts the year after knowing he would sit out the entire year.

Depends on what you have on the team. If we don't feel that we need both Lowry and Fred, then you can get rid of one. Lowry still has 2 years left in him. If Terrence Davis gets better, then you definitely don't need Fred.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,742

Post#129 » by mademan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:04 am

Metallikid wrote:
mademan wrote:Grab Kriss Dunn for a fraction of the price and give him Raps shooting coach. Dude will be a star

I've actually always liked Kris Dunn but he's RFA and will probably get more than we would be willing to give.

I would try to snipe Alec Burks he looked good against the Celtics. Maybe Tristan Thompson would come home on a discount.

Hope we can get a double S&T with Chicago. They could use FVV, we could use a cheaper replacement
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,526

Post#130 » by D.Brasco » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:07 am

Always gonna be risks in under 6' ballers. Look at what happened to IT since the Celtics.
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#131 » by agentzero2010 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:10 am

mintsa wrote:
dacrusha wrote:Will be an all star and team leader for many years to come. Defensive stalwart and tough as nails that’s still learning the nuances of running a team. Putting up better numbers than Lowry did at the same age... and everyone thought Lowry, too, was a dime a dozen guard at the time.

Losing him for nothing with no backup plan at the position is a Rob Babcock-type of move.

Masai knows this will be an easy decision to resign him - if he underperforms, you can always trade him.

Yup your bang on. This isn’t the old days.

No way Masai let’s Fred walk for nothing. He will match whatever and just trade him if he has too (poor play, cap space etc etc etc).

1. I don't want raptors to lose Fred VanVleet.
2. If raptors are going to lose him, I don't want them to lose him for nothing.
3. I don't want raptors to over pay him.

Fred is not a restricted FA so its a little different comparing to the Brogdan FA last season. Raptors don't have the ability to match an offer but I believe Raptors should and will get the final meeting with Fred. I think Masai will float around 20-23 million at Fred and if things don't work out, trade him to the Knicks or pistons for picks and prospects.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#132 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:11 am

mademan wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Hope we can get a double S&T with Chicago. They could use FVV, we could use a cheaper replacement

Kris Dunn and Thad Young?
Jon_3232
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,946

Post#133 » by Jon_3232 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:15 am

I love FVV and would love to have him back. But if this is true and they really do offer $22m per year, then go get that **** Freddy. I’d happily say so long to know a good guy is gonna get their dough.
pagal
Starter
And1: 2,078

Post#134 » by pagal » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:19 am

prelude00 wrote:
pagal wrote:
prelude00 wrote:
Against NJ and Washington? In the playoffs? He played neither of those teams in the past in the playoffs. Unless you're talking about Brooklyn this year. He was signed in 2016.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

washington was in 2018, he came back from a hurt wrist I believe and yet kept chucking 3s and almost lost the game.
new jersey was earlier in the year when he chucked at the end.
Forgot we played them again. Keep thinking about sweep lol.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

lol, all good man...for what its worth, he was terrible in the sweep too, except one game, I think.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,352

Post#135 » by pilkoids » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:21 am

I'd love Fred back but not as our future starting PG.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,333

Post#136 » by Parataxis » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:26 am

mintsa wrote:
dacrusha wrote:Will be an all star and team leader for many years to come. Defensive stalwart and tough as nails that’s still learning the nuances of running a team. Putting up better numbers than Lowry did at the same age... and everyone thought Lowry, too, was a dime a dozen guard at the time.

Losing him for nothing with no backup plan at the position is a Rob Babcock-type of move.

Masai knows this will be an easy decision to resign him - if he underperforms, you can always trade him.

Yup your bang on. This isn’t the old days.

No way Masai let’s Fred walk for nothing. He will match whatever and just trade him if he has too (poor play, cap space etc etc etc).

I know the 'if he doesn't perform to his contract trade him for assets' sounds appealing, but this isn't 2k. There's another team involved.

Players who aren't living up to their contracts aren't easy to trade, especially not for assets.
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#137 » by UneducatedFan86 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:38 am

The best bet is to try to do an S&T with whatever team signs Fred. I think the Knicks and Suns are the two most likely ones. Suns could be a great fit. Knicks need a lot of help and shoring up the PG position wouldn't be the worst thing to do.

S&T ideas:
Knicks: Gibson + Smith JR. + Ntilikina + Future 2nds (2020 and 2021)
All 3 contracts are expiring in 2020-21. Gives us a chance to look at two different PGs and see if anything sticks. Gibson is a solid back up PF/C and could be used at next year's deadline. The 2020 2nd round pick is 38 and the knicks have two 2nd round picks in 2021. So They aren't giving up too much. It is more about us getting back some assets and seeing if we can turn them into anything else down the road without much risk.

Suns: Rubio + Oubre Jr. + Future 2nd.
Fred would be a great fit with Booker. It gives the Suns a starting PG that can help spread the floor and plays solid defense. He can play off Booker - much like he does here with Lowry. Depending on the contract, we'd also likely save the Suns a bit of money. We get a solid PG who gives us a bit of a stopgap between now and the future. We also get a look at Oubre Jr. and see if we can unlock something in his game.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,490

Post#138 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:40 am

pagal wrote:
will wrote:
pagal wrote:hated him from Day 1 and that bullsh*t 3 at the end of game 7 was hopefully the last time seeing him in raptors jersey.

glad he's getting paid, happy for him and his family but good riddance, fu*k BumVleet.

Convenient you failed to mention Senior in the 2019 NBA Finals. Ah...that selective short term memory.

no, I maintain that I've hated him from day 1, against NJ, against Washington, every single game last year and yes, every single game this year, punctuated by every game in this last series.

I think we are entitled to our opinions - like your signature and posts overall. peace.

Such a troll.

FVV was in Wichita when we played those teams lmao
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Masai4PM
Junior
And1: 860

Post#139 » by Masai4PM » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:41 am

FVV is the kind of player to get while cheap and let someone else overpay.

Masai will find a way to turn this into a positive for the Raptors (S&T).

He will be missed and forever a Raptor Champion.
Masai4PM
Junior
And1: 860

Post#140 » by Masai4PM » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:43 am

UneducatedFan86 wrote:The best bet is to try to do an S&T with whatever team signs Fred. I think the Knicks and Suns are the two most likely ones. Suns could be a great fit. Knicks need a lot of help and shoring up the PG position wouldn't be the worst thing to do.

S&T ideas:
Knicks: Gibson + Smith JR. + Ntilikina + Future 2nds (2020 and 2021)
All 3 contracts are expiring in 2020-21. Gives us a chance to look at two different PGs and see if anything sticks. Gibson is a solid back up PF/C and could be used at next year's deadline. The 2020 2nd round pick is 38 and the knicks have two 2nd round picks in 2021. So They aren't giving up too much. It is more about us getting back some assets and seeing if we can turn them into anything else down the road without much risk.

Suns: Rubio + Oubre Jr. + Future 2nd.
Fred would be a great fit with Booker. It gives the Suns a starting PG that can help spread the floor and plays solid defense. He can play off Booker - much like he does here with Lowry. Depending on the contract, we'd also likely save the Suns a bit of money. We get a solid PG who gives us a bit of a stopgap between now and the future. We also get a look at Oubre Jr. and see if we can unlock something in his game.

The Suns trade is great imo and i don't think an organization like Phoenix will want to pay Rubio all that money to sit on the bench.

I don't know how, but if we can get Mitch Robinson from the Knicks, that would be a coup.

Return to Toronto Raptors