ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie Barnes Thread 2

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,678

Re: Official Scottie Barnes Thread 2 

Post#161 » by hype_2004 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:29 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:
Chandan wrote:damn looks like Cade has taken over Barnes on the rookie ladder again. Throwing Cade into the fire earlier in the season is paying off.

He will run away with Roy, or at worst be in a battle with Mobley....

Scottie has a lot of work to do on his game and he is not the focal point of this team.. Fred and pascal are.

It's not about talent at this point it's all about opportunities, Put Barnes in that Pistons team and you will see 20/10/5-6 guy.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,202

Post#162 » by duppyy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:32 am

Los_29 wrote:
Chandan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:You guys are just all over the place with your expectations. Any of the top 5 picks would end up in the same role as Barnes, even Mobley on our squad. Mobley would be relegated to screens and roles and garbage pts. Cade wouldn't have the ball in his as much on this squad either. If you're expectations are guns blazing for our rookie, then that's on you. We have a system and players get integrated into our system, we don't just give free reign, especially to youngns

And yet mobley and cade would end up better players because of the situations they are in if scottie is kept being held back.

Aren’t Mobley and Cade playing in Detroit and Cleveland? Scottie is in a better situation than any rookie in the lottery.

Cavs were better than our team but is getting decimated by injuries. Not sure how you conclude that Scottie was in the better situation.

He was in a good situation when Siakam was injured.
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#163 » by Dude-niagara » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:12 am

mdenny wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:
720 wrote:Fred is an expiring contract looking for his next big payday next season so expect more of the same from him next year. :nonono:

Fred has been great shooting the basketball and Raptors will need to pay him(been really good), not sure who they keep because you cannot pay everyone. Barnes will need to wait his turn and maybe that comes next season, part of the problem of reduced attempts is he is too pass happy. The opposite of most of the core players and he will learn that you need to get yours or you end up putting up scrub level stats like we have seen since the Nets game.

You can pay everyone. We can go into the lux tax. This team doesn't currently justify it....but if by this time next year we are a top 3 seed then certainly.....we can choose to pay everyone and go into the luxury tax.
You can but I doubt they would want to , I think you need to consider trading one of the current 4 starters so you give Barnes a bigger role and perhaps upgrade both there center position and increase the quality of our bench.
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer

Post#164 » by Dude-niagara » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:56 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:
Chandan wrote:damn looks like Cade has taken over Barnes on the rookie ladder again. Throwing Cade into the fire earlier in the season is paying off.

Scottie has a lot of work to do on his game and he is not the focal point of this team.. Fred and pascal are.

It's not about talent at this point it's all about opportunities, Put Barnes in that Pistons team and you will see 20/10/5-6 guy.

Amen brother, no question about it.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,950

Post#165 » by nikster » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:42 pm

Chandan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:You guys are just all over the place with your expectations. Any of the top 5 picks would end up in the same role as Barnes, even Mobley on our squad. Mobley would be relegated to screens and roles and garbage pts. Cade wouldn't have the ball in his as much on this squad either. If you're expectations are guns blazing for our rookie, then that's on you. We have a system and players get integrated into our system, we don't just give free reign, especially to youngns

And yet mobley and cade would end up better players because of the situations they are in if scottie is kept being held back.

If youve paid any attention to our development system you'd know thats not true
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,011

Post#166 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:22 pm

720 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
720 wrote:He has become the garbage man of this team. Our priority should be his development and growth instead we have him guarding bigs and doing the dirty work so role players like Fred and Gary can stat pad and boost that leverage for their next contract negotiations.

You want Fred and Gary to guard bigs? Or, you don't think the do "dirty work"? This is some petty analysis. I think you're better than this. Take the Ls in stride.

I’m fine with Barnes guarding bigs but it’s clear he isn’t used to it at his current rate. He’s breaking down every other game with some random ailment and looks like he’s playing through pain. Have Siakam do it more, he did it quite a bit last year he’s used to it.

The only L is our team treating our rookie like he’s old man Marc Gasol so that the guys that have 1 year left in their contracts (Gary and Fred) can stat pad during a supposed development season.

Is Gary not developing? Is Fred not getting better? I'm not sure I follow what you think development means. It's not just rookies. As for stat-padding, Fred is scoring more during a massive winning stretch, and I know you're smart enough to know what the term "stat padding" actually means.

I'll have to research more whether Barnes is guarding bigs more than Siakam. I know in the New Orleans game Barnes and Siakam both had JV for roughly the exact same amount of time. Against Whiteside Barnes had more time than Siakam, but at the same time it was an automatic double on every touch. These aren't "gruelling" coverages. Maybe he needs fewer minutes in general, because he's averaging more than Kawhi has in any season of his entire career. That's a Nick Nurse issue that pretty much all of us complain about.

Personally, I think he will always be the kind of player that breaks down because he plays a rugged style of basketball. OG breaks down, too. So does Fred. These are the kinds of players that the Raptors like, and you have to take the bad with the good. If he's at risk of long-term issues, then they need to shut him down for a bit. But, asking him to do the things he is supposed to be able to do anyway is not bad development.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,204

Post#167 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:32 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:

Yep, a 20/10/5 guy that has now just learned how to play what is mostly losing basketball.

Why do people care so much if Barnes is ROY? Does it have any impact at all on his future?
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,808

Post#168 » by dTox » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:51 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:

When was the last time the NBA had a 20/10/5-6 rookie? I love Barnes, but now we are throwing numbers even LeBron/kD couldn't reach. Cleveland maybe better this year as a team but if I were a prospect, put me in a system that's run by Masai/Nurse over any team, esp. the Cavs.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,988

Post#169 » by Los_29 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:26 pm

duppyy wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
Chandan wrote:

Aren’t Mobley and Cade playing in Detroit and Cleveland? Scottie is in a better situation than any rookie in the lottery.

Cavs were better than our team but is getting decimated by injuries. Not sure how you conclude that Scottie was in the better situation.

He was in a good situation when Siakam was injured.

Because we are a much better franchise with a track record for developing players. Cleveland is only 1 game up on us and it's not like we haven't had our fair share of injuries. I'd say OG missing 15 games and Pascal missing 13 games is far more significant than Sexton and Rubio being out for them.

Cleveland hasn't made the playoffs since Lebron left. In fact, I don't even remember them making the playoffs without Lebron. It's probably been like 20 years lol.
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer

Post#170 » by Dude-niagara » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:55 pm

720 wrote:
Dude-niagara wrote:
720 wrote:Fred is an expiring contract looking for his next big payday next season so expect more of the same from him next year. :nonono:

Fred has been great shooting the basketball and Raptors will need to pay him(been really good), not sure who they keep because you cannot pay everyone. Barnes will need to wait his turn and maybe that comes next season, part of the problem of reduced attempts is he is too pass happy. The opposite of most of the core players and he will learn that you need to get yours or you end up putting up scrub level stats like we have seen since the Nets game.

There should be no hierarchy or waiting turns. Fred and Siakam had their shot for the last 2 years. But here we are, the third year of giving Fred and Siakam the ultimate green light while our top rookie is relegated to Reggie Evans esque clean up duty.

Good points, This is why those using the rookie wall excuse are just fanboys of the players padding their stats while the Raptors highest pick since JV becomes a glorified NBA garbage man. We need to clear about Barnes's current role on this team after the Nets game = garbage man & shoe shiner for vets :D
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#171 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:02 pm

Barnes is like the 4th/5th option on this team with a healthy lineup, I doubt he's gonna with ROY but who cares he's a stud and a future all star either way.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#172 » by Madhouse » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:27 pm

VC15Era wrote:The way he is walking and limping out there... sometimes I think he is knee is going to give out... should just be on the injured list.. let him fully heal.. "learn from the sidelines" let the stat huggers do there thing..

that's the only reasonable approach. He won't be effective at all and it will only get worse while playing injured.

But I am not getting my hopes up for that. He'll keep limping and struggling out there probably.
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#173 » by Madhouse » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:46 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:

It's not just about chances but also from where you are operating on the court and also who your team mates are and how they are operating to your strengths. That's is much easier to accomplish on a rebuilding team where the team does not care about wins or losses as much and the rest of the team focuses on you or a team without major flaws where you don't have to make up for them. No reliable 2nd playmaker, overlapping roles and declining health gets you what you get right now, consistent bad performances.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 457

Post#174 » by youngRAPZ » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:11 pm

Can somebody tell me what that rookie of the year award is going to do for Scotty Barnes in year 3,4 or 5? If the answer is nothing then who cares if he wins it or not. Everyone inside the raptors organization is happy with Barnes’s development and clearly league wide he’s being recognized so I don’t get why you people have to complain about everything. Boohoo Scotty didn’t shoot more than VV even though Scotty had plenty of opportunities to be aggressive and he simply just isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#175 » by Madhouse » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:23 pm

youngRAPZ wrote:Can somebody tell me what that rookie of the year award is going to do for Scotty Barnes in year 3,4 or 5? If the answer is nothing then who cares if he wins it or not. Everyone inside the raptors organization is happy with Barnes’s development and clearly league wide he’s being recognized so I don’t get why you people have to complain about everything. Boohoo Scotty didn’t shoot more than VV even though Scotty had plenty of opportunities to be aggressive and he simply just isn’t.

Much less people care about it than you think. The people you are trying to talk to actually don't care if Barnes wins ROY or if he misses entirely on 1st team all-rookie.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 457

Post#176 » by youngRAPZ » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:31 pm

Madhouse wrote:
youngRAPZ wrote:Can somebody tell me what that rookie of the year award is going to do for Scotty Barnes in year 3,4 or 5? If the answer is nothing then who cares if he wins it or not. Everyone inside the raptors organization is happy with Barnes’s development and clearly league wide he’s being recognized so I don’t get why you people have to complain about everything. Boohoo Scotty didn’t shoot more than VV even though Scotty had plenty of opportunities to be aggressive and he simply just isn’t.

Much less people care about it than you think. The people you are trying to talk to actually don't care if Barnes wins ROY or if he misses entirely on 1st team all-rookie.

Sounds to me like everyone complaining about FVV and Siakam only want to force feed Barnes so he can win ROY. If that wasn’t the case then they’d shut up and enjoy the development. Og started and was the 5th option for years and he looks to be developing just fine as he is now basically a 20ppg guy. Scotty has much more natural talent than OG and I fully expect him to be better than OG by year 3 and I don’t believe he needs to take 20 shots a game to achieve that.

Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,889

Post#177 » by Jcity08 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:46 pm

Barnes will eventually become an automatic triple double. Im okay with the current path in developing him, of course I'd love to see him taking more shots and being more confident but their is no rush.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#178 » by rrdjutriurt » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:04 pm

[/quote]
Siakam and Barnes can coexist. It's Fred taking control of 30-40 possessions a game that's the problem. Lots of ball watching for the rookie.[/quote]
Well it looks like the NBA doesn't think that way because Freddie just won Eastern player of the week.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#179 » by rrdjutriurt » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:15 pm

Don't agree at all with the Raps playing Scottie while he is not even close to 100% healthy. There really is no reason for that, the risk is far greater then the reward at this point of his career. He has never had to play any large amount of games like the NBA throws at you. No one knows for sure yet whether his body can adapt and we don't want anything minor to become chronic.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
Madhouse
RealGM

Post#180 » by Madhouse » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:56 pm

youngRAPZ wrote:
Madhouse wrote:

Sounds to me like everyone complaining about FVV and Siakam only want to force feed Barnes so he can win ROY. If that wasn’t the case then they’d shut up and enjoy the development. Og started and was the 5th option for years and he looks to be developing just fine as he is now basically a 20ppg guy. Scotty has much more natural talent than OG and I fully expect him to be better than OG by year 3 and I don’t believe he needs to take 20 shots a game to achieve that.

I don't think force feeding is the solution and winning ROY or not really doesn't matter.

Return to Toronto Raptors