ImageImageImageImageImage

New Raptors Logo, Four Colours Revealed (UPDATE P 28)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Do you like the new logo?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 401

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,407

Re: New Raptors Logo, Four Colours Revealed (UPDATE P 28) 

Post#1701 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:31 am

ballercb4 wrote:
VanDamme wrote:
ballercb4 wrote:
[truncated quote]
Its so bad Drake doesn't even want to admit his involvement.

You're saying he's lying?

;)...Gold and Black =OVO brand...our logo and possible alternative jerseys are gold and black...the bare min. he has to okay for that to happen because I pretty sure he trademarked his specific shade of gold and black for his clothing line...I pretty sure he had more of an involvement then he is stating...when poo poo hit the fan no ones around to take the blame but everything is going good people start waving their hands it was their genius...

Not sure if you can trademark a color...
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#1702 » by Rhythm043 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:39 am

Brutal logo.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
gametimetdot
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#1703 » by gametimetdot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:41 am

YogurtProducer wrote:Not sure if you can trademark a color...

Trademarking of color codes has been happening for decades. Whether you're in Retail, Corporate, Sports, Pharmaceutical, etc. It entitles only you to use color combinations in a specific industry. (ie. when Cadbury won their lawsuit against Nestle for the rich purple trademark, why the Leafs can only use that specific blue in the NHL, etc.)

Just google, you'll see. (example: Coca-Cola couldn't take Target to court, because they are not competing with similar products in the same sector)
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#1704 » by almatic » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:29 am

gametimetdot wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Not sure if you can trademark a color...

Trademarking of color codes has been happening for decades. Whether you're in Retail, Corporate, Sports, Pharmaceutical, etc. It entitles only you to use color combinations in a specific industry. (ie. when Cadbury won their lawsuit with Nestle for the rich purple trademark, why the Leafs can only use that specific blue in the NHL, etc.)

Just google, you'll see. (example: Coca-Cola couldn't take Target to court, because they are not competing with similar products in the same sector)

I still don't see how these facts help your case... the Raptors aren't competing with Drake & OVO is not an NBA team so I still don't see why the Raptors would need an 'ok' from Drake even if he did obnoxiously get black/gold trademarked.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Sophomore
And1: 170

Post#1705 » by 1995 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:49 am

Wow seeing up against all the other teams logos makes it feel so amateur and undeveloped..our typeset is just horrible and has no character!
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#1706 » by MixxSRC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:55 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I'm growing on the original logo as well.

But the logo that was introduced by one of the users on this board with the CLAW is beautiful!
Literally perfect! I tweeted that design to the Raptors and MLSEPR.

They should have just held an open contest to decide the logo rather than paying some junk design firm millions of dollars to rip off the best selling logo in the league.

Last time we held open contest. We ended up with a name Raptors because of Jurassic Park movie. Other suggestions back then were Dragons and Beavers. I'm not trusting this fanbase to make decisions.
yogimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,927

Post#1707 » by yogimvp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:08 pm

the hat is alright but this shirt looks bootleg as hell. looks like something you would find at zellers.

DUNPHY
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#1708 » by DUNPHY » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Maybe im just a black and gold fan but I like it.. I dont know if id get a shirt with just the ball tho.. Id want a little more on the shirt.. But the hat is sick!
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#1709 » by MixxSRC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:50 pm

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?BarDown%27s%2bRaptors%2bcartoon%2bmascot&id=481044

god damn that's mean ass Raptor :lol:

reminds me of that Extreme Dinosaurs cartoon lmao :lol:

teamLeiweke
Head Coach
And1: 5,019

Post#1710 » by teamLeiweke » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:15 pm

When I saw the first impression in White and Black - I hated it.

Seeing it polished with Black, Grey, White and Red, and seeing all the variations, and the Gold alternate, and word that they will still occasionally wear Purple throwbacks - I now think it's an all around win.

That Black, Grey, White and Red logo and colour scheme is sharp and should make for a beautiful home court.

All that is left now is to see how the jersey looks.....
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,814

Post#1711 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:12 pm

chuckdevlin wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Double Helix wrote:It's also no secret that Nets gear is among the most popular worldwide based almost exclusively on its look as opposed to anything happening on the court. It's clear they saw Brooklyn as the current benchmark for rebrand success and aimed to tap into the same market of sneaker heads and hipsters that allowed Nets gear to go beyond fans of the actual team.

It wouldn't surprised me if that was MLSE's motivation for the rebrand (after all, they named the team after a **** movie for the same reason). But one thing they don't realize is that they won't be able to compete with Brooklyn's merchandise sales. They might be able to bite into their market share, but they aren't going to displace the incumbent market leader with a cheap imitation.

Challenge Accepted

Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Shimso
Starter
And1: 2,703

Post#1712 » by Shimso » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:20 pm

1995 wrote:

Wow seeing up against all the other teams logos makes it feel so amateur and undeveloped..our typeset is just horrible and has no character!

I know they're not that similar, but seeing it next to Utah makes it feel all the more derivative...maybe its the text that's making it worse, although without the text it really looks like the grinch holding a ball.
ballercb4
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#1713 » by ballercb4 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:47 pm

kidr1211 wrote:
ballercb4 wrote:The Petition has reached 1,092 signatures!!!!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/783/729/ ... ptor-logo/

That petition reeks of unnecessary drake hate. Dude said he had nothing to do with it.

LOL :lol: I didn't make the petition I just posted this one because it had the most signatures/first one made...I explained the reasoning why he did 1000 times...to use his brand and colors they need permission so he had to be with okay it. He was hired to help we the rebrand...At the bare minimum he helped picked the colors right; the last time I checked that is part of designing...Secondly the day before he was hyping up the release of the logos. When sh*t hits the fan nobody wants the blame...Anyways you can't pin the blame all on him the whole rebrand team dropped the ball here.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,822

Post#1714 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:57 pm

I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about typesets man. What are we talking about? Typesets? We're talking about typesets, man. We're talking about typesets. We're talking about typesets.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#1715 » by kidr1211 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 pm

ballercb4 wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:
ballercb4 wrote:The Petition has reached 1,092 signatures!!!!

That petition reeks of unnecessary drake hate. Dude said he had nothing to do with it.

LOL :lol: I didn't make the petition I just posted this one because it had the most signatures/first one made...I explained the reasoning why he did 1000 times...to use his brand and colors they need permission so he had to be with okay it. He was hired to help we the rebrand...At the bare minimum he helped picked the colors right; the last time I checked that is part of designing...Secondly the day before he was hyping up the release of the logos. When sh*t hits the fan nobody wants the blame...Anyways you can't pin the blame all on him the whole rebrand team dropped the ball here.

Wtf are you talking about? You don't need drakes permission to use black and gold he doesn't own the colours. There's a poster here who worked for sid lee and said they tried purple etc but at the end they thought black and gold was the best scheme. Lmao so what do you want him to do? "Yeah i saw the new logo and colour scheme but i think its ugly". Obv he's going to hype it up. The dude fully said he had nothing to do with it but because you hate him so much you think he's lying lmao
JSW
Senior
And1: 553

Post#1716 » by JSW » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:20 pm

yogimvp wrote:the hat is alright but this shirt looks bootleg as hell. looks like something you would find at zellers.

The shirt looks like it's already been washed so many times that the design is starting to wear off
BlueJayReyes
Starter
And1: 1,676

Post#1717 » by BlueJayReyes » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:23 pm

tdotboyy
Banned User
And1: 6,678

Post#1718 » by tdotboyy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Is our logo as good as the team? Is it legit? I still dont like it, too plain, too boring, too ass. Man **** the logo 4 days later it's still trash

Sent from my ST27a using RealGM Forums mobile app
VanDamme
Veteran
And1: 5,241

Post#1719 » by VanDamme » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:46 pm

I've tried to make myself have a strong opinion about this logo one way or the other and I keep flip flopping. Could it have been better? I think so. i think at the end of the day what will work for me is that I support the Raptors and if for some reason this logo sells that means increased popularity and attention towards the franchise which is a plus. I know merchandise money actually gets combined and divided between all 30 teams so it doesn't exactly bring us more money $1 for $1 but the increased attention will be good for the brand, the players, our sales pitches in the future etc. It all comes together.

Assuming this sells. Obviously. If it doesn't sell to its maximum potential I hate it.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,243

Post#1720 » by Mark_83 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Looks like they're up to 1,537 signatures in 4 days.

Return to Toronto Raptors